Prince Albert II of Monaco Current Events - Part 28 (Sep. 2009 - August 2010)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Albert was interviewed in the Palace gardens on June 29
- not sure whether it has anything to do with the interview you've
mentioned, Renata4711 ?! On some of the pics of the gallery you
can see Sebastien Gattuso, friend of Albert and partner of Stephanie.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gallery **

I would like to state that as a member of IOC the June 23 for engagement was planned by him, because this day in 1894 The International Olympic Committee is founded at the Sorbonne in Paris, at the initiative of Baron Pierre de Coubertin, and in 1661 Marriage contract between Charles II of England and Catherine of Braganza. Source June 23 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iceflower, you're right - it's the filming of the July 12th interview with PPDA.

I loved the Olycom pics with the refreshment trolley! :)

Sofiero, it's great that you found this piece of info about the founding of the IOC - I certainly wouldn't have found it.

Some time ago I posted something about being Olympians, and how it binds PA and CW together, and I was laughed out of court.

Looks like the Olympics are indeed providing a kind of "glue" for the two of them...

Many thanks!

Renata4711, Thank you thanking me, I have a good habit to control historical events from the past when I am curious to know the connection from the present time. I guess that PA is bearing in his mind the main events of the Olympian history, because he is sitting on a post in the IOC. The Swedish royal court started send the wedding invitations already early in the last November, so the permanent dating of Albert and Charlene was confirmed by that time, but some of the public audience had the opinion that it was confusing.

I would like to state that as a member of IOC the June 23 for engagement was planned by him, because this day in 1894 The International Olympic Committee is founded at the Sorbonne in Paris, at the initiative of Baron Pierre de Coubertin, and in 1661 Marriage contract between Charles II of England and Catherine of Braganza. Source June 23 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for that info- did you know that De Coubertin aspired to win the Nobel Peace Prize and did not. Maybe Pa and CW will honour him in some special way when they wed. Perhaps that will be the day of their marriage next year as well.Thanks again

Sofiero, it's great that you found this piece of info about the founding of the IOC - I certainly wouldn't have found it.

Some time ago I posted something about being Olympians, and how it binds PA and CW together, and I was laughed out of court.

Looks like the Olympics are indeed providing a kind of "glue" for the two of them...

Many thanks!
PA sits on the IOC and has participated in the Olympics but being an "Olympian" is much more than that.It is being the parasignifier for other things- of the highest denominator and excellence.Yes that date is significant to them ; they should have said so in PA's interview instead of leaving us to research or have an Olympian game of telepathy with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, yet again!
Maybe they are regarding it as a game and will reveal the solution at some stage?

I wonder how many people still connect the Olympic Games with the pantheon of deities from the classic era?
"Olympic" has become a brand name, as in Olympic Airways and the like....

For anyone else who's reading, the Wikipedia article on Olympian(s):
Twelve Olympians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prince Albert, the fiscal accords and the OECD

Things are hotting up in PA's efforts to "clean up" Monaco's fiscal relations with a large number of other countries, via the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development) whose motto is: "For a stronger, cleaner, fairer world economy". It has 91 members.

Any day now, the OECD will issue its audit report on Monaco. Although Monaco has concluded a number of fiscal accords (see below), the OECD has been particularly critical about the lack of collaboration between Monaco and Italy, and Monaco and Great Britain.

Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development

However, let's look on the bright side - last Wednesday, in Paris, Monaco signed a further seven fiscal accords with Scandinavian countries:

Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland, and the Faroe Islands.

Fiscalité : accords avec 12 pays de l'OCDE

Last edited by a moderator:
They are buying time for the Italian and British depositors. They are probably the 2 largest groups after France. In defense of Monaco, it is a big deal for a country of its size to deal with this kind of paperwork. They didn't even figure their gross domestic product until a few years ago. I don't think this will stop tax cheats. They will just move their money to another country or change the form of asset. eg gold or jewels that can't be easily traced; banks in 3rd world countries. Where there is a will, they will find a way. Half of this is just the large countries trying to blame the small countries for their own incompetance. What really needs to be done is to cut government waste, simplify tax laws and lower tax rates.

I agree with practically all of your points, and of course you're right about tax cheats still finding ways to hide their money.

But PA (and the other nations) have realised that they have to play ball with the OECD, or else. He, and his father before him, must have concluded that this is the only way to get rid of the "sunny place for shady people" epithet.

I admire Monaco for having grasped the nettle when other countries around them haven't been quite so quick about it.

I agree that it is the right thing to do. The press loves to use that saying, ad nauseum, so it will be very hard to get rid of.

The original quote from William Somerset Maugham has, by the way, been hijacked by Miami, New Orleans and San Salvador (to mention a few), and is the title of a popsong.

Iceflower, today's Monco Government's Centre de Presse listing includes an interview with PA.

Do you know anything about it?
Is it related to the PPDA interview? Surely it can't be, because we have already seen the pics of the filming of the France 2 interview.

"Confused of Edinburgh"

On July 2nd, Prince Albert attended the presentation of the F1
Inshore catamaran on which Italian Guido Cappellini has won the
world championships, in Monaco.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Today, July 7, Prince Albert was in Ales, France, and tried a tricycle with
electric assistance made by public transport operator Keolis during an
International meeting about Ecological vehicles. The event, running from
July 7 to 8, 2010, allows professionals to test drive a selection of ecological
vehicles on two circuits

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Not sure whether it's the same interview, but here is something about the
interview that will be shown on July 12, Renata4711!

** Albert de Monaco, bientôt marié à Charlene Wittstock : "Je veux fonder une famille" ! **

French Le Point already publishes some exclusive excerpts from the interview,
Albert talks about his childhood - "I think when I was really young, I said I
wanted to be a cowboy or a soldier!", his father - ".. he has always been a
good adviser. He told me that he did not think too much before you speak.
I followed him in this..", that bad rumours about his sisters and family had
always hurt him and which is now most important concerning his wedding
plans - "It is certainly our intention to start a family." :)

Last edited:
Prince Albert attended the start of the 187,5 km and fifth stage
of the 2010 Tour de France cycling race run between Epernay
and Montargis, eastern France, July 8, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Yes, Iceflower, it's the same, and they're releasing bits and bobs from it to get better coverage.

Presumbly we''ll get the YouTube version?

Apparently there is also a very negative article about Albert in L'Express. Among other negative comments, a quote from Bernard Vatican "Celle qui est formidable, c'est Caroline, mais une loi stupide lui interdit de monter sur le trône" (meaning more or less, "the outstanding one is Caroline, but a stupid law stops her from being on the throne"). Didier Laurens adds that "Le prince est un garçon plus intéressé par son plaisir que par l'État.": The Prince is a boy more interested in his pleasure than in the Government. I wonder how many Monguasque citizens share such harsh opinions...

And what type of paper is this L'Express. Serious legit newspaper, yellow press, tabloid, what?

And not to be funny, but what can the Vatican do to Albert other than matters as it pertains to religion?

L'Express, as far as I know, is a weekly magazine, which deals with economic political and societal analysis (maybe like Time, I guess, or the Economist? I am not sure; we should ask someone from France to be sure). Vatican is the surname of the quoted person, and the article is not about gossip but about 5 years of Albert's reign and the discontent and failures of the Prince. I cannot know whether the mag has an agenda...

ETA: here's the cover
http://www.lexpress.fr/outils/kiosque.asp
ETA2 I was not wrong: when founded it was apparently modeled on "Time"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Express_(France)

Thanks Grace for teh info.

Apparently I missed the Bernard in front of the Vatican.

Apparently there is also a very negative article about Albert in L'Express. Among other negative comments, a quote from Bernard Vatican "Celle qui est formidable, c'est Caroline, mais une loi stupide lui interdit de monter sur le trône" (meaning more or less, "the outstanding one is Caroline, but a stupid law stops her from being on the throne"). Didier Laurens adds that "Le prince est un garçon plus intéressé par son plaisir que par l'État.": The Prince is a boy more interested in his pleasure than in the Government. I wonder how many Monguasque citizens share such harsh opinions...
It is not harsh opinion as up and until now this has been so.A fine example was the "pleasurable" rock concert the other night. From now on let us hope that that changes.

The journalist isn't called Vatican, but Vatrican !! The Pope would not be amused, I think...

And I agree with Jaya - PA needs to acquire some gravitas soon - he can't keep vacillating between playing the statesman and degenerating to an elderly rocker.

he can't keep vacillating between playing the statesman and degenerating to an elderly rocker.

Of course he can, Prince Albert has shown us for years that he's a
hardworking prince, very involved in the environment, politics, social
themes, art and sports, so there shouldn't be a doubt that he can
have his recreational-compensation as well. Instead of criticising him
for having shown us a maybe funny or embarrassing side by dancing
around, we could allow him that and be thankful that we can see his
very private side from time to time as well.

And even a serious newspaper can have controversial articles that
don't have to be general and opinion-forming.

Here's the article from L'Express on PA:

Monaco, quand la dorure s'effrite - L'EXPRESS

The main points appear to be: chronic indecision, rows in the Court, impatience among his people.

There have been 54 demonstrations in Monaco within 18 months...

They brought in a spin doctor to brush up his image, the same guy who spruced up Christian Estrosi, Mayor of Nice etc., and Christine Alliot-Marie (French defense minister).

The end of the article states that republicans are an unknown species in Monaco. PA's most fervent critic Laurent Nouvion would have to emigrate to Menton next door...

A very well-written article which I'll bookmark for future reference. It was not written by L'Express' main columnist Christophe Barbier, so that may be significant... or not.

Last edited:
MY translation wasn't very good but it did seem to be a hatchet job to some extent. Monaco's economy is in much better shape than most of the countries in Europe and definitely better than the US. I do agree with the author on some points though. PA does seem to be indecisive. On this future island it seems crazy to ask for a second set of more environmently friendly plans. It cost alot of money for design plans. You either go ahead with the project or not. And why have a smaller island? The reasons he gave were not economic ones. Also he is out of Monaco way too much. Even if he has nothing to do he should give the appearance that he is working as hard as he can. Especially during a world recession. I hope it has helped that PC has moved back. She does seem to be taking an active role. Also, hopefully Andrea will move back shortly to help out.

Did it say who the demonstators were? Were they French non-resident workers? Also, I thought it was against the law to criticise the royal family.

And what type of paper is this L'Express. Serious legit newspaper, yellow press, tabloid, what?

And not to be funny, but what can the Vatican do to Albert other than matters as it pertains to religion?

L'Express takes a dark, negative view of just about everything..I only ever browse out of desperate boredom.

It should be renamed "Devil's Advocate". :bang:

FanofMonaco, the demonstrations were almost entirely organised by trade unions. Nice Matin has always reported every facet of these.

One might say: Well, at least Monaco now allows "manifestations" (or "manif"), which wasn't always the case.

Your point about the territorial enlargement is a good one; PA and the Government must have known that there was a severe economic downturn when they announced the extension plans. To have to postpone them when both Sir Norman Foster and Daniel Libeskind had been appointed, must have been embarrassing, to say the least.

Royal guests have been in Monaco today!

Prince Hitachi of Japan, brother of Japan's Emperor, and his wife
Princess Hitachi came to Monaco to attend the opening ceremony
of the art exhibition 'Kyoto-Tokyo', on July 13, 2010 in Monaco
together with Prince Albert. The exhibition runs from July 14, 2010
to September 12, 2010 at the Grimaldi forum.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** belga gallery ** belga gallery 2 **

Wow how wonderful that they came all the way to open an art exhibition.
I love the heigh difference.

Yes, and it's PA again in his "bouncer" pose.... scary...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom