Prince Albert II of Monaco Current Events - Part 27: November 2008 - September 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Albert uses his private plane because it is faster and more convenient than just going from flight to flight, it makes him independent, it is much better for someone who travels a lot like him. He has his private plane so he uses it, like I would do if I were him.
But yes, he seems travel too much, he could stay more in MC. Sometimes this traveling around seems not to make a sense. :nonono:
Wonder if people in Monaco really feel that he travels too much. If they are OK with that I guess we should be OK too.;)

Glistening Seas

bones said---
I've said before that I have mixed feelings about environmentalism in general. I think it's great to do things to help the environment, clean things up etc, but I also think it's arrogant to think that human beings have that big of an impact on a planet billions of years old. About Prince Albert II and his travel, I would certainly understand that his people would like him more at home and I can understand questioning how necessary all the trips are. That being said, it is also true that Monaco is similar to one big business and Prince Albert has to "advertise" for his country as it were, keep the little principality from being forgotten and overlooked and make sure potential investors think about Monaco as a place to do business. I doubt the Monegasque would be any happier if their Prince stayed at home but their economy regressed to the way it was in certain past periods when the world basically ignored Monaco.

:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

Bones you have some valid points and what we would think would be said. it's true Monaco does alot of Business and yes, Ranier was home but PA was the one doing the grunt work for Ranier to get Monaco to that point and it would be sad that Monaco would be overlooked because of PA not doing the diligient thing to get it to Monaco.:cheers:

Albert does much to promote the Principality, and that inevitably means travel by air.

Like a shrewd businessman, he works to help attract investment and tourists.

The imminent 2009 Monaco Grand Prix is an example of this, but even there his efforts may be hampered by extraneous influences, such as the incipient revolt of the car manufacturers against the Formula One World Championship bosses

Another example is Albert's effort to get more transparency in the financial sector. Sadly, this is being hampered by extraneous factors; initially, the OECD agreed to take Monaco off the blacklist, but the G20 meeting in London reverted the decision, leaving several countries in limbo.

I think Albert has made the transition from playboy to statesman, or is on the way to achieve that.

Glistening Seas

:flowers: it's agreed....Monaco did not get to be the jewel that it is by just Ranier or PA sitting around 'hoping' everyone will "like' Monaco and show up whenever they can business-wise; and, in this enviornment his need to be 'out' there getting things taken care of is a wise move. :bee::heartflower:

Albert does much to promote the Principality, and that inevitably means travel by air.

Like a shrewd businessman, he works to help attract investment and tourists.

The imminent 2009 Monaco Grand Prix is an example of this, but even there his efforts may be hampered by extraneous influences, such as the incipient revolt of the car manufacturers against the Formula One World Championship bosses

Another example is Albert's effort to get more transparency in the financial sector. Sadly, this is being hampered by extraneous factors; initially, the OECD agreed to take Monaco off the blacklist, but the G20 meeting in London reverted the decision, leaving several countries in limbo.

I think Albert has made the transition from playboy to statesman, or is on the way to achieve that.

I agree with what you say here although I hope he gets his personal life sorted out or for the time being it stays more private at least, but I think professionally it seems he has actaully done quite a lot in a pretty short amount of time.

I also think it's unfair after agreeing to take Monaco off the black list and now they're kind of jerking them around--maybe these little countries should get together and just ignore then completely and stop making any progress to appease these guys, if these other countries don't want to recognize their efforts here? Maybe they just need someone to complain about after all?

I agree with what you say here although I hope he gets his personal life sorted out or for the time being it stays more private at least, but I think professionally it seems he has actaully done quite a lot in a pretty short amount of time.

I also think it's unfair after agreeing to take Monaco off the black list and now they're kind of jerking them around--maybe these little countries should get together and just ignore then completely and stop making any progress to appease these guys, if these other countries don't want to recognize their efforts here? Maybe they just need someone to complain about after all?

I think it needs to be a bit stronger than complain. Afterall, France is the one who benefits the most if Monaco meets the guidelines. I wonder who on the G20 back-peddled on Monaco. If they are saying one thing and doing another, then it is up to Monaco to decide whether to voluntarily comply or just say forget it and continue business as usual. Again, France is the one to benefit from Monaco's change in policy.

Exactly! The whole debacle also shows France's ambivalent attitude to its independent "sidekick". They're happy to have a degree of control, and their gendarmes policing Monaco, but they're not so quick when they have to stand up for PA and Monaco on the wider world stage.

I was worried when the whole thing about Monaco and the list came out and the speed with which changes were promised to get back with the "in" crowd. Monaco needs to have something to attract big-money to the country, with the cost of living as it is, they would dry up without the rich coming to spend their money there. I also fully agree about France. Monaco is supposed to be a French protectorate so let's see Paris do some protecting!
:monacostandard: :franceflag: :monacoflag:

Actually I meant the other countries were complaining.

Regarding France, and I may not be clear on this issue so I'm probably speaking too soon, but don't they have the monopoly on the electricity in Monaco and isn't there some connection with residency? I remember people posting about the empty apartments with all their lights on? Maybe someone who knows better can explain it to me, if there is anything to this? Thanks. :flowers:

:previous:
Wonder why they don't allow for competition in gas and electricity in Monaco and if the size of the country has something to do with that.

Years ago I was reading some article that Monaco state has also monopoly for cable connection, and that the Internet is only cable in MC, and connection very slow comparing e.g. to France. Wonder if it is still true.

Prince Albert at the closing of the 4th International Polar
Year, College de France, Paris, France, May 15, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I must say- I was worried there with those first two pics looking so very weary. #3 looks ok, smiling is good for him.

Glistening Seas

:flowers: o-h-hh don't know that 'weary' is the word that would really describe pics number one however, they did turn out great didn't they??

:rose:Pic number one looked like he wasn't sure of what he was wanting to say or think?

:lol: but number 2 looks like he got it all together and 3 just a great smile. it's alway fun with some pics to think of what's been going thru their mind at the time a picture is/was taken!! tee hee

:rose2:Camera's can take pics of someone in mid-speak and really gives a different impression of what is going on :bee::rose:

Did PA visit the Cannes Film Festival this year?

Glistening Seas

:flowers: it certainly must have been fun to make 2 historical journey's in a lifetime when even one would have been more than enough of a historical accomplishment
:penguin: However, two such successful trips has been something that has been great accomplishment!

:polarbear:Must have been unusual to be in the same room where so long ago a noteable explorer slept and never realized his journey and to see all the belongings left of an era gone by.

:unicorn: Thankfully we have the ability to things so much quicker now but yet....can't seem to manage to stay on top of the whole global warming thing.

After all that long treking it must have been whan-der-ful to finally get there.:champagne:

I liked that interview posted by Florencia. I especially like Albert's response to a marriage question.:lol:

Did PA visit the Cannes Film Festival this year?
I tried to google Albert and Cannes, no results. The only mention was Cannes 2008. If Albert visited Cannes this year, I'm sure that googling it would pick this visit up immediately.

Thanks, Lakshmi and Florencia, for the Daily Telegraph article, and for googling Albert and Cannes.

Cannes is so near, a few minutes by helicopter, and there's still the connection between Grace and Cannes....and Monaco.

Perhaps he regards the Film Festival as not high priority, and he did attend a couple of charity events connected to the festival.

Glistening Seas

:flowers: Indeed the article was cool!!
:parrot:A childrens petting Zoo would be waun-dhal-ful!!

:unicorn:It would be the only chance in a location such as Monaco for children to have close hands-on access to a zoo since it's already there.

:penguin:Especially since PA has those great polar bear /bird specimens from the artic housed in a museum, it adds to the variety that Monaco has!!:champagne:

Thats a beautiful article, hearing him talk about what he believes in is wonderful. Thank you for the link Florencia.
x

It was a very nice article and I think he handled the question in the best way he could.

Renata, I wanted to thank you again for supplying me with the info you posted and that I requested--I did not have it exactly right.:flowers:

"Nae bother!" as the Scots say, - i.e. no problem!

I think and hope that, under the current French government, it might be easier for Monaco the resolve some of the nitty-gritty issues between the two countries....

:flowers: o-h-hh don't know that 'weary' is the word that would really describe pics number one however, they did turn out great didn't they??

:rose:Pic number one looked like he wasn't sure of what he was wanting to say or think?

:lol: but number 2 looks like he got it all together and 3 just a great smile. it's alway fun with some pics to think of what's been going thru their mind at the time a picture is/was taken!! tee hee

:rose2:Camera's can take pics of someone in mid-speak and really gives a different impression of what is going on :bee::rose:

Hey-- Give me credit for being delicate and tactful which is admirable, and much needed sometime around these parts for all of the subjects on the forum. All of us can look unattractive some time if there is a camera in our faces at all times.

That was quite an interesting essay by some dramatic reporter. And I do think the prince handled the marriage question quite well, in fact, s'cool. It seems now people will h ave to leave that subject alone with him, since it appears he will not b e or do what other people think h e ought to be or do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pic 27.5.2009

Prince Albert II of Monaco, Albert Falco and Albert Saladini pose during
the presentation of 'Vivre pour la Mer', at Monaco Oceanographic Museum,
27 May 2009 in Monaco, a new documentary written and directed by Albert
Saladini, French TV reporter, member of Earth and Sea Images association.

The movie was filmed on Mediterranean sea. Prince Albert II of Monaco
appears in the movie to support the project and the spirit of the documentary,
preserve, respect and protect the environment.

----> Pic

Albert, Albert and Albert.
Three Alberts together posing to one pic.:ROFLMAO: Wonder if any of them made any remark about this funny coincidence.
Or maybe it is not funny, it is just me thinking...:rolleyes:

Glistening Seas

:lol: ohhh certainly bet it must have come up a few times. how often does such a huge project get done by 3 terrific Alberts?! :D
:champagne:good eye on that most of wouldn't have picked up on it tee hee!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom