Prince Albert Current Events 1 : Nov.2002 - May 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I’d check in with a few facts regarding Alicia Warlick.

First, Alicia is in fact a Harvard student. And she will be returning to the university after the Olympics.

Second, many Harvard students take time off for sports or for other activities. Twenty percent of the students at Harvard take time off at some point in their academic studies. http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/...f/time_out.html
For example, Harvard ice hockey star A.J. Mleczko did so to get her Olympic gold medal at Nagano in 2000. http://about.monster.com/olympic/olympians/mleczko/.

Third, at Harvard many students with interesting careers take extended time off. For example, Oscar nominated actress Elizabeth Shue started at Wellesley in the early 80’s, transferred to Harvard, then decided to take time off to pursue her acting career. Ms. Shue received her degree on June 8, 2000 at age 37. http://www.hollywoodteenmovies.com/Elisabeth%20Shue.html. Taking time off from Harvard really is not unusual.

Fourth, 97% of those who are admitted to Harvard graduate. It is a rarity that an admitted person does not graduate. It is likely Alicia will receive her degree. http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/...f/time_out.html

In 2000, Alicia finished 6th at her first Olympic trial, so it is not surprising that she's training for the 2004 team.

There is too much careerism at Harvard. Unlike many here, Alicia is principled enough to let her talent lead the way.

Jennifer
From Harvard

Monaco won!!! Yuppi!!!

So he was there. I looked for him on TV but I did not see him. That was a great game especially the first half. Bravo to Monaco. Good to see Albert enjoying himself.

And I'm not sure but hey I think Monaco made it to the final!!!!! I'm so happy for the team!

Originally posted by monaco70s@May 5th, 2004 - 11:04 pm
And I'm not sure but hey I think Monaco made it to the final!!!!! I'm so happy for the team!
Yes, they did. Here is a little article about it:

"LONDON, May 5 (AFP) - Prince Albert of Monaco said he could hardly believe that Monaco had reached the Champions League final just 10 months after they were threatened with demotion because of the parlous state of their finances.
Monaco went through after drawing 2-2 with Chelsea in the second leg of their semi-final, to win 5-3 on aggregate here on Wednesday.

But the heir to the Monaco throne still could not quite believe the club had managed to reach the final of European club football's premier competition.

"This is an unbelievable game in an unbelievable season," he told Sky Sports.

"Almost 10 months ago we were wondering what we were going to do as the financial management control of the French league were going to demote us.

"However we managed to keep things afloat and the players and management have shown great spirit and resolve which has been reflected in their play," he added.
The Prince admitted that when Monaco trailed 2-0 down shortly before half-time he wasn't very confident.
"I was getting kind of worried.
"I knew we had the resources and we had scored at a crucial moment.

"However we were having problems trying to contain the Chelsea forwards and were kind of sloppy at the back.
"But then we pulled things together and then a great player got another decisive goal," added the Prince, referring to the equaliser by Spanish striker Fernando Morientes, who is on loan from Real Madrid and likely to leave Monaco at the end the season.

The Prince said he hoped that as many as possible of the 32,000 population of Monaco would get tickets for the May 26 final in the German town of Gelsenkirchen, though Monaco's home matches are more renowned for the empty spaces on the terraces than packed houses.

"We hope to get as many people as we can and hope Monaco will be turned into a ghost town," said the Prince

I want to clear something up about Olympic Athletes and going to college.

Alicia Warlick doesn't have a college degree. And yes, many professional athletes don't, (hence the stereotype) but the thing is, MANY OF THEM DO!

I am a Cambridge alumni and I know plenty of Olympic athletes who not only have a college degree, but an MBA as well. For example Track and Field's 4 time Olympic Silver Medalist Frankie Fredricks holds a degree in computer science and an MBA from Brigham Young or 1996 100 meter gold medallist Donovan Bailey. These are the greatest role models and the kind we want in the news. Not just great athletes, but great brains as well.

The reason Alica Warlick is getting negative press on not having a college diploma is because she is the latest in a long string of women who dated Prince Albert. Look at the history, she isn't the first one he refused to marry. But this stuff becomes public.

Its understandable in Europe and America that it would look horrible for Monaco for Prince Albert to marry someone like Alicia with no college degree. 5X Olympian Prince Albert and all the Olympians in his family (Princess Grace's dad Jack Kelly and her brother ) all found time to get their college degree and compete in the Olympic Games) That is just the overall attitude of education. And I have to support that.

Here's where the press is coming from, Alicia's bio says she entered Harvard in 1995, but the women's pole vault wasn't even an Olympic event until the year 2000. (most undergrads are completed in 4 years-that have her finish in 1999) It says she's taking a short leave to train for the Olympics. 9 years is no short break!

Who cares if Alicia Warlick has no college degree, everyone should leave her alone....

But just don't link other successful people in athletics and academics together and say the MAJORITY of good athletes take breaks from their college studies, because that is completely UNTRUE!!!!!! The ones that do are a MINORITY! We are working too hard to get young kids who are athletes to finish college to settle for that argument. Get real!

AJ
Cambridge Alumni

Personally, I don't think it matters if Albert's future wife has a degree or not. After all, it isn't like she will be working after she marries him. Other qualities are more important than a degree for his position.

I just don't like the way Alicia presents herself. It seems too fake to me.

Of all the ladies Albert has dated, who do you feel would have made the best wife? Who would have made the best first lady for Monaco?

I agree whoever marries Albert won't be working after they marry him. But whoever he choses would be a much better role model to the world if she had a college degree. Just like his mother, Princess Grace did.

As for which of Prince Albert's ex's would have made the best wife for him, I think it was Brooke Shields.

So many of the others just hung around to get in the press, even after Albert publically announced he was not in love with them and didn't want to marry them. Alicia Warlick is one of them, I don't like how she presents herself either. She seems too desperate to be princess. Its obvious she likes the media attention more than she likes Albert.

This is moot, as he is *not* getting married! At least not to Alicia. Maybe sometime after Rainier passes on.

I don’t know whom Albert was dating. So, let’s elaborate. Let’s put the list of all ladies with higher university degree and knowledge of French, Italian, English. We can do elimination from there. :flower:

Might the Prince or important others require that the Prince's companion have a college degree? I doubt it. But who knows. Regarding Ms. Warlick, the last person for whom there has been some discussion....

Although Ms. Warlick, a Harvard student, does not presently have a degree, and has taken time off to train for the Olympics, this does not mean that she won't earn a degree, especially since according to Harvard, 20% of Harvard students take time off and 97% of Harvard students do earn their degree. Taking a break from school, even a long one, is perfectly acceptable if the break is well used.

The minimal "negative press" cited by others regarding Ms. Warlick seems to me to be groundless speculation. Are unpublished comments overheard between two Texas reporters to the effect that the House of Monaco needs another college graduate to be taken seriously? There is little published reporting about anyone these days.

I've seen little in the way of direct quotes from Ms. Warlick. (A couple of short quotes here and there.) That's to her credit. Her website is the standard picture / bio presentation. It appears to me to depict a fine person, who is an accomplished pole-vaulter. The website makes no mention of the Prince. And I've seen nothing in the media, so self-promotion appears to be non-existent.

I doubt strongly whether Prince Albert or his family cares about his companion having a degree. I like the comment made in a previous post - other qualities do matter much more. So long as the Prince is happy and his companion is intelligent and capable, I think he will have made a fine choice, if he decides to do so.

And by time the Prince makes a decision, Ms. Warlick (or for that matter, any other eligble person) will likely have a degree. (smile)

Jennifer

Are there any companions presently in the news?

Just to take some heat off this discussion, what about the naked lady in Sweden last week? Perhaps some hanky panky going on there?

If you haven't seen Alicia use the media coverage she gets by knowing Albert then you haven't followed closely enough. You don't have to mention his name to use the fame you get in connection.

Grace only completed TWO terms at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. She did not have a college degree. Grace applied to Bennington College but was rejected having failed to meet the entrance requirements. I wouldn't exactly consider her certificate from the Academy a degree. She only learned about acting nothing else no math, history, geography, ect..... It was a trade school so to speak. I've read conflicting stories that she even gained the certificate, because her parents yanked her back to Philly as soon as they found out about Don Richardson (while she was still apparently a student). Grace and a college degree.........nope.

Honestly, I liked Claudia Schiffer the best. Julie Hayek wasn't bad, either.

Albert has had only two relationships with women that were serious enough for marriage on in College at Amherst and one in the mid ninties (I think it was Claudia). I think he will certainly marry after Rainier dies. He will do his duty if only for the sake of succession.

Alicia just isn't Princess material. Does Monaco need a princess with the arms and shoulders of Arnold? She looks to masculine. Not to mention she said she enjoys being with Albert but he never said anything of the sort about her. Friends nothing more. Besides the gap in her college career is much longer that would be needed to train for the Olympics. Even if she does finish that doesn't mean Albert will make her his Princess.

If you notice in the pictures Albert wasn't the only man present the naked Swede may not have been his lady. Though, I suspect she was.

I think this arugment on Alicia Warlick is so blown out of proportion. I believe Prince Albert has moved on. Unfortunately, college degree or not, Alicia just wasn't princess material.

I think its nice that she has her friend from Harvard writing in to defend her, but all of this discussion this should points us back to Freedom's poll,

Would you really want the job as Princess of Monaco?

I mean look at the public scrutiny you put yourself under. The public and press can be brutal. And as you can see in Alicia's case, they find out and print everything!!

If you want to get that picky about this, the certificate that Grace Kelly had from the American Academy of Dramatic arts was the school's equivilent to a college degree. Yes she studied acting; but that is what she did: (Academy Award winning actress.) It was like a specialization or major. It would be the equivilant of attending a technical college in today's society. Secondly, it was highly unusal for women back in the 1950's to have any kind of college certificate or degree. So Grace Kelly was way ahead of the game for her time.

As for Alicia Warlick and her lack of a college degree, based on the women Albert dates, I don't think he could care less if they can read or write, as long as they're beautiful.

But I will agree that Alicia Warlick has used Prince Albert and the press to promote herself.

Everyone keeps saying, she is the last woman written about.

But the only reason anything was ever written about Alicia Warlick and the few dates she went on with Prince Albert, was because there was a mysterious rumor started in the press that Prince Albert was suppose to propose to Alicia on his 45th birthday. Today there is wide speculation that Alicia Warlick started those rumors about an engagment to get herself in the media. There was just one problem. Yes, Alicia Warlick got herself on magazine covers and into newspapers worldwide, but it was rather embarassing when it never happened! Not only did it never happen; but Prince Albert himself and the Palace of Monaco had to go to great lengths to stop these rumors and all the press articles by threatening to release a palace statement, saying that Prince Albert does not love Alicia Warlick and that there would never be an engagement!

Nice try, but Ms Warlick had to have realized that March 14th was going to come sooner or later.

This is why she was the last one written about!

Since then Albert has been seen with a number of beautiful women. Case in point, most recently: Albert loves those Swedish Women!

I don't think you an equate a mere two term certificate with a college degree even in 1949. Especially, as I mentioned that Grace was yanked home by her controlling parents before it was probably finished. Grace's mother did have a 2 year degree. I always found it odd that she didn't see it as important that her daughters have one. I've never read that she actually graduated. I have seen her year book picture but no reports of her actually getting the certificate. She may have but I cannot be certain and I am almost always certain about things concering Grace. I've spent my whole life in a study of her.

Grace was no slouch, granted. She had the world at her finger tips and it was taken away from her first by controlling parents who dicated her life until she was 26 then by a husband who, in her own words, controlled her every move (even the length of her hair). This is a women who gave up much to please everyone but herself. She had great potential. She achieved much, but I think it was only a fraction of what she was truly capable of.

Alicia is out of the picture. Personally, she may have been a wondeful person but just not a princess.

I don't think Albert cares, either. I think he has specific criteria in what he is looking for and I don't think a degree ranks high on that list. Diana, Princess of Wales didn't even finish her high school education and failed every single one of her A levels. Not all of the current monarchs have a college level education.

I don't think Alicia was the last women written about. I've seen pictures of "nameless beauty" a plenty since Alicia came and left the scene.

It is very sad if Alicia used Albert this way. I suspect he is used to it, though.

Albert has himself stated that most of his "serious" relationships are the ones that the press never knew about. In one of bios on the Grimaldis, there is this one lady - Stephanie "Stevie" Parker who claims that she had a 4-year relationship with Albert and that they met secretly in Texas to keep the press at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom