Prince Albert and Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 2: March 2012 - March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true. However, 10 seconds of badly accentuated words in french leave much to desire after so many years in Monaco.

Lets face it, what Charlene uttered in the video could have been uttered by anyone, no matter if one has been in contact with the french language or not. Based on what we have seen, there is no indication of what level of french (if at all) Charlene is capable of which is a shame and quite embarrassing for the first lady representing a country.

Princess Grace never spoke really good French and yet she's held up as the exemplary Monaco consort. Grace spoke in English to Rainier (whose English was excellent) and to her children, which helps explain Albert's and Stephanie's American accents. ( Caroline's is more mid Atlantic)

My favourite quote about Grace and her not so great French was, after Rainier commented "her French is getting better" " Love is deaf as well as blind" muttered by a friend of his!

Off topic posts have been removed! Thanks for your understanding!

She shouldn't be wearing white, she's not a catholic queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
She must have been granted the privilege of wearing white. Maybe they got this as compensation for the Pope cancelling his visit to Monaco.

I think Princess Charlene now has he privilege du blanc, Royals never mess with protocol, and Charlene herself likes to stay in the safe side. I'm sure she would not wear white if she wasn't allowed to.
On a side note: Her outfit is gorgeous!

Nice to see her in white.What a lovely lace mantilla..I think it's antique.

WOW Charlene looks wonderful. both the dress and the mantilla are beautiful

The "privilege du blanc" is for HRH and the ones who do not have this privilege are HSH. A Royal Highness is higher than a Serene Highness. Reigning Catholic Queens, Catholic Queens Consort, and Catholic Grand Duchesses from Spain, Belgium and Luxembourg, who are HRH, have the privilege and Princesses and Princesses Consort from Liechtenstein and Monaco, who are HSH, do not. The late Princess Grace of Monaco, a Roman Catholic from birth, was HSH and never granted the "privilege du blanc."

In 2005 at Pope Benedict XVI's inaugural mass and in 2006 María Teresa, Princess Consort of Luxembourg wore white when meeting the Pope. Maria Theresa is a Grand Duchess and her title is, Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg

So Perhaps Monaco asked for the "privilege du blanc."

In April 2006 Cherie Blair, wife of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom surprised many by wearing all-white to meet the Pope. When women meet the Pontiff they should wear black, preferably with a black veil, or mantilla. Cherie Blair is not a royal.

When Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, wore black, but omitted the veil. Wearing all-white to meet the Pope is a privilege normally reserved for Catholic Queens.

^^^^
By 2005 MT was the wife of the reigning Grand Duke of Luxembourg.
It is entirely possible that Benedict XVI has granted the Princess Consort of Monaco the privilege du blanc since there are so few reigning Catholic monarchs these days.

^^^^
By 2005 MT was the wife of the reigning Grand Duke of Luxembourg.
It is entirely possible that Benedict XVI has granted the Princess Consort of Monaco the privilege du blanc since there are so few reigning Catholic monarchs these days.

But a few years ago the Prince and Princess of Liechtnestein and their children visited the Pope and Princess Maire whore black. Should she not have the same privileg as the Priness of Monaco then, as both are wives of catholic monarchs?

^^^^
Who is to say that in 2013 she does not now have that privilege? Even Popes can update things.

I really hope for Charlene's sake that she has been granted the privilege and its not a mistake on her part. But as others have mentioned these visits are planned in great detail and formal dress requirements would have been sent out in advance - i couldnt imagine that Charlene, her advisors or Albert would let her dress in white when it was not allowed. Therefore the assumption must be that the Pope has relaxed the rules recently and permitted the Princess of Monaco the privilege du blanc

Come on, you really think that she wore white dress and not having the privilege she was not caught by any ceremony master or other bishop in the whole Vatican? If she wore white then she has to have a privilege.

But a few years ago the Prince and Princess of Liechtnestein and their children visited the Pope and Princess Maire whore black. Should she not have the same privileg as the Priness of Monaco then, as both are wives of catholic monarchs?

But if it's only a very recent concession then Marie wouldn't have worn white a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see what Marie wears the next time she meets / has an audience with His Holiness.

And, yes, Charlene looks just wonderful in her all-white outfit.

She is very conscious of doing the right thing, showing due respect so I cannot see her availing of a privilege that she hasn't been granted.

I could, of course, be wrong.

I am surprised to see that all the people who speak about the colour of The dress of Charlene are british , they are anglican ou protestant and do not know nothing about the rules of the rites of catholicisme,
In the years 60, there was only a wife and queen who wore white cloths when she visited the pope, it was Queen Fabiola of Belgium. The Grand Duchess Of Luxemburg, princess of Monaco and of Lichenstein wore black clothes. The queens and prinesses who were protestant wore black cloths.
The queens and princesses wore diadems, long dress and decorations.
Since Vatican II, the rules of protocol Changed.All the queens, the princesses who are catholic, wore white dress and Mantillas , even the wifes of president can wear white dresses. Grand Duchess of Luxembourg wore white dresses when she visited the pope. If the family of Lichenstein wore black dresses because it is conservativ and followed the former rules.
Why, did the rules change? Because the catholic roman church wants to make the difference between the protestant people and the catholic people.
Of Course, Queens and princesses who are not catholic wear black clothes.

There is a resume of this visit on Monaco channel given by the palace
LL.AA.SS. le Prince Albert II et la Princesse Charlène reçus au Vatican par Sa Sainteté le Pape Benoit XVI / ACTUS / L'Agenda de Monaco / Chaines - MC Channel - Chaînes vidéos de Monaco

In it , it is said that the pape told to his guests in french, he congratuled the princess Charlene for her sportiv prowes, , They exchanges gifts and the prince met the minister of Vatican after the meeting.
This evening, on the rafio of monte Carlo, a reporter asked why Charlene wore whit dresses this morning to a prior who know all the rules of the catholic, this man answered that Princess Charlene could wear White cloths .

A video of this visit on the site of royal correspondant and a answer about the cloth of Charlene . A person of Vatican said that she could wear the white cloths .read under the video

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI Holds an Audience with TSHs Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco. (VIDEO) | The Royal Correspondent

In April 2006 Cherie Blair, wife of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom surprised many by wearing all-white to meet the Pope. When women meet the Pontiff they should wear black, preferably with a black veil, or mantilla. Cherie Blair is not a royal.

or catholic, for that matter :whistling:

i see no reason why charlene shouldn't wear white. she is the regent's consort of a catholic principality. having said this, i wonder if she converted to catholicism upon marrying: it would be strange to grant the privilege of white to someone who didn't have to take up catholicism upon marrying.

i see no reason why charlene shouldn't wear white. she is the regent's consort of a catholic principality. having said this, i wonder if she converted to catholicism upon marrying: it would be strange to grant the privilege of white to someone who didn't have to take up catholicism upon marrying.

Charlene converted to Catholicism before the marriage, she was raised as a Protestant, but she converted, even though by the constitution she didn't have to.

Actually Cherie Blair is Catholic, as his Tony since he converted after leaving office. And Yes, Charlene did convert before her wedding in 2011.

A video of this visit on the site of royal correspondant and a answer about the cloth of Charlene . A person of Vatican said that she could wear the white cloths .read under the video

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI Holds an Audience with TSHs Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco. (VIDEO) | The Royal Correspondent

Merci Melina. Well that solves that earth shattering issue. She wore white because The Vatican gave her that right. Now with that out of the way the earth can continue to spin forward.

Since Vatican II, the rules of protocol Changed.All the queens, the princesses who are catholic, wore white dress and Mantillas , even the wifes of president can wear white dresses. Grand Duchess of Luxembourg wore white dresses when she visited the pope. If the family of Lichenstein wore black dresses because it is conservativ and followed the former rules.

Not true!
Princess Grace continued to wear black also after the Vatican Council II:
1978 with John Paul I http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9bvJG3JCv...5MiACTg1Cs/s1600/johnpaul1_grace_rainier3.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zLqqCGtVls8/TtiLNS61QNI/AAAAAAAAGDA/RqJknlBKixQ/s1600/jp1funeral_c.jpg

1978 with John Paul II A DIPLOMATIC HISTORY OF MONACO & THE VATICAN - The Vatican - Zimbio

Some princess continued to follow the former rules but the rules changed after the Vatican II, it was not only the qeens who were catholic who could wear white colour but if some princesses wanted to continue to wear black, they could.
To day, the vatican press office said
'In accordance with prescribed ceremonial of the vatican for catholic sovereigns, the princess was allowed to dress in white'

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Vatican dress code: Do's and don'ts for presidential, pilgrim attire July 17, 2009.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]But the Vatican does not mandate that women cover their heads. In fact, the pontifical household said there is no formal or specific dress protocol at all.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]To wear white to a papal audience, however, "is not in good taste," Msgr. De Nicolo said. The only people allowed to do so, he said, are Catholic kings, queens and other reigning Catholic royalty.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]CNS STORY: Vatican dress code: Do's and don'ts for presidential, pilgrim attire

[/FONT]

Time to move on. The colour selection has been clarified, so we can concentrate on the actual current events again! Thanks!

Here are some additional pictures:
MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASH

Charlene looks lovely, and in some of the pictures, especially so! I notice that some of the gentlemen are admiring Charlene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom