Prince Albert and Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 2: March 2012 - March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think, with Albert's many millions, that after the first few awkward interviews, not to mention the awkward wedding, they'd have undertaken some PR training, or as a last-ditch attempt to control things better, maybe even vetted the questions before-hand (not that any of the questions asked were anything other than entirely predictable). Or maybe it's time for them to follow in the footsteps of other royal couples and pick and choose who they give interviews to, if they feel they have to give interviews at all. A bad workman blames his tools; and a bad interviewee blames the interviewer.

Not for the first time with this couple, I just felt uncomfortable watching it.

perhaps they should follow the example of HMQ and not give any at all - maintain the mystery

ok - sorted out technical glitch, tried to wath it but it was as you have all said, too embarassing. Showing Pa giving the time out and then talking it about it - well I cringed.

It proves that neither Monaco or CBS were media savie about this. I asked v earlier on in this thread how it compared with the William and Catherine engagement interview. And it is obvious that the British couple were well prepared and A and C definitely were not. I was reminded a little of the Copenhagen interview with W&C where catherine stumbled slightly over the unrehearsed (aka nightmare) questions but got there in the end. William is obviously well trained and, if necessary, will speak for both of them.

Report says - must try harder; practice is required; C-

Poor Charlene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an observation: I'd like everyone to witness that some really very edgy stuff is being said about Albert and Charlene - and saying it's 'edgy' is being kind - yet not one poster who is expressing their opinion as ripely as they can is being 'gone after' on this thread. Interesting, wouldn't you say?

Posters are saying their say and no one is complaining, no one is lodging objections with moderators, no one is calling posts 'libelous', etc.. Posters are giving their impressions of videos and pictures, no more than that - impressions of what they believe they see as a loving couple or not - and not one response post is objecting to said opinions or - more significantly - upbraiding the poster. The thread is even staying open! Everyone is free to say what they wish - isn't that refreshing? I think so.

A courtesy is being granted here to some posters posting here that they themselves do not accord others elsewhere on this site. I find that interesting.

P.S. I have no doubt someone will come up with a rationale for the bullying that takes place elsewhere. Fact is, some posters are fine doing the same thing they decide is a not okay elsewhere. Impressions of videos and pictures do not need news articles to make them 'okay' and 'legit'.

Last edited:
I think the interview was embarrassing. I honestly don't think she is "suitable" for the role (excuse my choice of word but couldn't come up with anything better.

I felt a bit sorry for both of them because something is "off". He seems terrified of what she might blurt out. She is unable to come up with one sentence about being a princess in her own language. She doesn't even have the excuse of a foreign language. I doubt this marriage will last long. I wish them the best but I am afraid they don't have a great future together. :(

Last edited:
I agree with everything Juliette2 said. I couldn't help but notice Charlene's expression during the religious wedding ceremony. It was written all over her face that she did not want to go through it, and it made me reconsider those rumors of her running away.

I was hoping for the best with these two, but with that CBS interview, I also highly doubt they will last long. Maybe the rumor of Charlene delivering an heir and then getting a divorce right after are true.

I usually don't pay much attention to the Monegasque royals, but that interview was so painful to watch. Really, what was going on there? Those were such simple questions, and Charlene was interviewed before her wedding, so it wasn't like she was uncomfortable - or shouldn't be.

They need to do a much better interview with Piers Morgan Friday or the media is going to go nuts reporting the marriage rumors.

Also, what exactly is wrong with the Monegasque royals? I don't think there's a curse or whatever, but why can't the Grimaldis' get themselves together?

Sorry for rambling, but that interview has me truly baffled.

That reporter, Holy Williams, should find herself a new career. She's atrocious, as were her questions!

Prince Albert often fumbles for words (think wedding speech). I think it's just his way.

Princess Charlene I think was takenaback by the nature of the questions which really were quite rediculous. She did look uncomfortable.

It´s is not the press fault if they esp, she, cannot handle with the easiest questions. Imagine if the questions had been really complicated. Here is another part of the interview in which she´s asked about her foundation (as some of you were wishing). This answer was prepared or memorized it seems, just in case. The problem comes when there is no script to follow.

Prince Albert, Princess Charlene on marriage, royalty - CBS News Video

Edit: the link is the same, but the second part is on le right.

They are not getting their money's worth from their aides. You'd think the aides might be tasked to help prep them for things of this nature. This interview was planned, the questions asked were generally the kind one might expect in this type of interview, so why couldn't an aide assist so they could better articulate ie. what it's like for Charlene to be a princess. For example, she could have said (and this is just my imagination, if I was an aide helping prep for an interview - the details in the following are just for illustration purposes only!) "it's great. I get to meet many different people from all walks of life. It's allowed me to establish my foundation, which aimes to help women and children in need. Plus, I get to promote Monaco and it's people - who have been so welcoming, friendly and accepting of me over the years. I'm still learning, and it's a process, but Albert is a wonderful support and I'm enjoying it.". Please sack the Aides - they don't need PR polish, just smooth out the rough edges.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

People need to re-watch the 'interview' because it may be a disappointment for Monaco fans because of its brevity (and hatchet job) but it is far from what some are saying here.

Albert is a cool guy. He is who he is in public. I agree he is not a public speaker - he's no Prince Charles ;) - but he is a man who just warms the heart - and it's pretty clear that Charlene is comfortable with him, playful, and - as even the interviewer admitted - is pretty strong. :p I suspect that they are partiers - and their selves are more relaxed in expansive social sitiuations.

The so-called 'interview' is a clip of about 6:00 minutes. We actually see only about 60 seconds of 'interview' - that's it: i minute out of 6 minutes of spin and salacious gossipy 'context' - and what we see at one point is a very pissed Charlene when the interviewer starts asking Albert questions about the 'rumors' and the scandals. I think Charlene was pretty well savvy at that moment what this interviewer was about. Her body language suggests that she was furious. As I said we have no way of knowing when Albert called a halt to the interview - and I'll wager when he called 'time' he was very much responding to Charlene's anger with the interviewer. This thing has been edited in a very 'interesting' way.

In the 1:41 side clip when Charlene answers the questions about her foundation (I mis-heard that initially) and the Olympic athletes, she was fine. As I said, she has an unspoilt affect - she is who she is - she is not trying to be anything other than who she is and Albert is fine with her. He had a little smile while she answered her 'serious' questions. She is polite - but I suspect from this little piece Charlene doesn't suffer fools gladly. She knew precisely what this woman was about once the gossipy questions started and I do think they were ambushed. When they got the drift - I think Charlene let Albert know in her way that the interview needed to stop and he obliged and they were gone. Or he stopped and had a word with the interviewer. But I think they bugged out. I doubt that woman will ever get her foot in the door again.

As an aside, I have noticed in pictures of Charlene with groups of people that everyone is smiling. I recall one where every woman's eye was looking at her with big smiles on their faces. That tells you a lot. Charlene's okay - as is Albert.

I look forward to the Friday interview. Glad I know about it now. I'll watch. :flowers:

Last edited:
Tyger - I completely agree with your take on the interview above. I furthermore find it quite irritating that they keep harping on the same old issues ( rumors, his children, etc ). We are on the eve of a huge sporting event, both of them are sports people. Why not ask them about their involvement with sport ( IOC, will he be handing over any medals, etc ), glad they eventually included the bit of Charlene and her involvement with the swimmers. And if they wanted a more personal angle the interviewer could ask how they keep fit, do they train together, etc.

Last edited:
Piers Morgan will be similarly easy and deferential. He doesn't have a clue how to interview anymore. On his old UK series he was ok because he was bold at times. On his CNN show he's a totally different person, trying to be best friends with those he's interviewing. That's probably why his show only gets 39,000 viewers in the all-important 25-54 demo, CNN's worst ratings in 15 years. Maybe Albert and Charlene will be more relaxed for this interview given almost no-one will be watching?

Just watched the whole interview and would want to make a couple of observations. Firstly, I think it is in very bad taste for a reporter who has been invited to the palace for an interview to be stood in the palace courtyard doing a voice to camera about dated rumours of events just prior to the wedding. The syncophantic veneer of her questioning didn't fool anyone including the prince & princess. I regret for Charlene's sake, that she didn't handle the "silly" questions more expertly but I don't feel that this is any evidence that the couple's marriage is heading for the rocks. I agree with previous posts that the one time Charlene was asked a serious question she was fine. In fact despite the uncomfortable aspects of the interview, I felt that the royal couple were very much on relaxed terms with each other. Final point - what a waste of a good opportunity for an interview with the couple - never mind better briefing of Charlene & Albert, what a poor showing by CBS.

Did you really think they wouldn't mention the rumours? If they hadn't they'd have been accused of being too deferential and choosing not to give viewers all the information. It's an unfortunate reality that Albert and Charlene are, certainly online anyway, known mainly for his children out of wedlock, and the awkward wedding.

Some blogs are starting to talk about this awful interview. Lainey's article sums up the reaction I've seen in other places too:

You would think that for all their resources, and given their history of scandal, they would have better prepared for this. Practised for it. Coached her through it. Or... not agreed to it! In these situations, and particularly for them, press is only good if it’s good press. This... is not good press.

The whole article is here - Lainey's Entertainment Update - Celebrity Gossip | Article Detail

They did seem uncomfortable, I agree. As others have said, I think that they need training for giving interviews. As far as reading things about their marriage and relationship into this interview, I didn't see that. I saw two people who were under-prepared for the questions. The tabloid style of the interview, which concluded with discussion of the wedding rumours, kind of put me off the interviewer.

I thought Charlene was awkward and inarticulate for a 34 year old woman. I'm rooting for them; let's hope she gets better at presenting herself. Albert didn't seem too comfortable either.

These questions are what reporters typically asks of Royal Couples newlywed unless they came to the interview to talk about a specific topic i.e The Red Cross

Whilst of course I would expect questions in the interview itself about the gossip surrounding their wedding, I still think it is bad form to be saying this kind of stuff in a commentary when you are stood in the couple's " backyard"!

Tyger, I have to agree with you about some of the posts in this thread.

most people don't like the rumors continuing despite the fact that both PA and PC seem happy and have been doing just fine together. Why can't we just drop the subject and rumors and just let time tell?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

People need to re-watch the 'interview' because it may be a disappointment for Monaco fans because of its brevity (and hatchet job) but it is far from what some are saying here.

Albert is a cool guy. He is who he is in public. I agree he is not a public speaker - he's no Prince Charles ;) - but he is a man who just warms the heart - and it's pretty clear that Charlene is comfortable with him, playful, and - as even the interviewer admitted - is pretty strong. :p I suspect that they are partiers - and their selves are more relaxed in expansive social sitiuations.

The so-called 'interview' is a clip of about 6:00 minutes. We actually see only about 60 seconds of 'interview' - that's it: i minute out of 6 minutes of spin and salacious gossipy 'context' - and what we see at one point is a very pissed Charlene when the interviewer starts asking Albert questions about the 'rumors' and the scandals. I think Charlene was pretty well savvy at that moment what this interviewer was about. Her body language suggests that she was furious. As I said we have no way of knowing when Albert called a halt to the interview - and I'll wager when he called 'time' he was very much responding to Charlene's anger with the interviewer. This thing has been edited in a very 'interesting' way.

In the 1:41 side clip when Charlene answers the questions about her foundation (I mis-heard that initially) and the Olympic athletes, she was fine. As I said, she has an unspoilt affect - she is who she is - she is not trying to be anything other than who she is and Albert is fine with her. He had a little smile while she answered her 'serious' questions. She is polite - but I suspect from this little piece Charlene doesn't suffer fools gladly. She knew precisely what this woman was about once the gossipy questions started and I do think they were ambushed. When they got the drift - I think Charlene let Albert know in her way that the interview needed to stop and he obliged and they were gone. Or he stopped and had a word with the interviewer. But I think they bugged out. I doubt that woman will ever get her foot in the door again.

As an aside, I have noticed in pictures of Charlene with groups of people that everyone is smiling. I recall one where every woman's eye was looking at her with big smiles on their faces. That tells you a lot. Charlene's okay - as is Albert.

I look forward to the Friday interview. Glad I know about it now. I'll watch. :flowers:
ITA with your take on the interview. I also thought Charlene was furious and Albert picked up on it. Since they both appeared rattled and had done well enough on previous interviews, there must have been an ambush. I do believe the time signal showed the end of the interview and they were shown out the palace and to the border! Their marital complicity seems evident to me.
But, that reminds me that these Monaco royals are different than almost all European royals in that PA is not simply a figurehead, he is quite a powerful man and used to exercising control and receiving deference.
Also, despite the very well done image makeover by his father and especially his Oscar winning actress mother, Monaco is known for gambling, no income tax and the very rich feeling safe to showcase their riches. So I always filter their behavior and clothing choices through this lens

Whilst of course I would expect questions in the interview itself about the gossip surrounding their wedding, I still think it is bad form to be saying this kind of stuff in a commentary when you are stood in the couple's " backyard"!
Extremely bad taste, I agree whole heartedly.

Z?
I disagree that asking about the same old rumours is relevant anymore
. If I were the prince or princess I would now refuse to answer on the grounds that their answers to these questions are well known already and they have now moved on from this. Besides why should they even have had to comment. on any of it as it was not in their control what others said about them so they should hardly have been made accountable to explain it?

Last edited:
Z?
I disagree that asking about the same old rumours is relevant anymore
I didn't say it was relevant, but that I wasn't surprised they got asked these type of questions. I totally agree that things have moved on and as I said in my earlier post it was a wasted interview.

I don´t find any complicity between them, on the contrary, I see them uncomfortable with each other. CW disgusting face while his husband talked was evident. I don´t agree that they need help or support from the palace. She needs it. PA. has made interviews all his life, he knows how to manage. But if the reporter askes "how is it to be a princess?" there´s little he can do. It is not he who has to respond for her. What leads me to another issue, whay didn´t she get some practice and PR training in 1 year? I stick to my theory that she doesn´t care. Even her body language is painful to watch.

Please note that off topic and empy posts that have nothing to do with the Current Events of Albert and Charlene have been deleted.

The video has been re-edited. I just went into it to re-watch it and there are three significant changes. There may be other changes - but these are the items that jumped out at me -

The interviewer's comment at the top of the piece saying that Albert and Charlene are not as popular as William and Kate has been removed.

The interviewer's comment at the bottom of the piece saying that Charlene is a strong willed person who does not do anything she does not want to do has been removed.

The piece ends with a (newly edited in snippet) of a genial Charlene answering the question about what it is like to be a princess.

Its all in the editing. folks. You can make anything look like anything you want - in the final edit. As has just been shown here in a very immediate way. Every actor knows that - knows they are at the mercy of the editor.

Last edited:
I don´t see any substantial changes in the edition, only that they added the last question at the end. The rest is there and not the editor´s fault at all. There he is cutting the interview because his wife would not answer about what being a princess is like, her touching her hair and clothes, her facial expressions showing her discomfort at the questions, his desperation and embarassment. I don´t understand why you are trying to blame the press for this mess.

What "mess?" I don't see a mess anywhere. Perhaps if we talk about Caroline, you'll feel bitter...I mean, better.

Albert shutting down the interview after a totally harmless question is so cringe-inducing. That's not edited, it clearly happened and came across so badly. I just don't see why they keep agreeing to these interviews given how poorly they both do in them. Some damage control is going to be necessary:

Princess Charlene & Albert’s CBS interview: hilarious, sad and cringe-worthy?
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum... interview: hilarious, sad and cringe-worthy?
Laugh To Keep From Crying For Help: The Prince Albert & Princess Charlene Interview | Dlisted

Last edited:
What "mess?" I don't see a mess anywhere. Perhaps if we talk about Caroline, you'll feel bitter...I mean, better.

If Caroline cherie had given an interview she wouldn´t be the laughing stock of the world by now my dear. But as you see, some things are too much for some people.:flowers:

I don´t see any substantial changes in the edition

Possibly because I saw an earlier version? One that you did not see? In fact, the first version I saw had Charlie Rose talking the 'reporter' in and out of the piece. That is all gone. There's been a new edit of the piece.

Start making videos - make one little film short - and you will quickly learn how much any (edited) video can really be used as 'evidence' of 'real life'.

Quoting blogs and gossip sites is adequate 'proof' for an opinion? Who knew.

As someone said - there is no 'mess'. There is Charlene and there is Albert - they are not everyone's cup of tea but that hardly makes them a 'laughing stock'. I like them - and no amount of endlessly hoping that it is not so will make it not so. There are haters out there - don't give way to hating.

Last edited:
Possibly because I saw an earlier version? One that you did not see? In fact, the first version I saw had Charlie Rose talking the 'reporter' in and out of the piece. That is all gone. There's been a new edit of the piece.

Start making videos - make one little film short - and you will quickly learn how much any (edited) video can really be used as 'evidence' of 'real life'.

Quoting blogs and gossip sites is adequate 'proof' for an opinion? Who knew.

As someone said - there is no 'mess'. There is Charlene and there is Albert - they are not everyone's cup of tea but that hardly makes them a 'laughing stock'. I like them - and no amount of endlessly hoping that it is so will make it so. There are haters out there - don't give way to hating.

They are hardly the "laughing stock" except to a few who like to poke holes everywhere. Most no one in the States watches any of these interviews. How interesting are any of the Royals from any country. They are just people. Albert is shy and, I, suspect, so is Charlene. Lots of dirt was flung last year, and yet nothing was proven true. I am sure to some regret to some on this site.

Albert shutting down the interview after a totally harmless question is so cringe-inducing. That's not edited, it clearly happened and came across so badly. I just don't see why they keep agreeing to these interviews given how poorly they both do in them. Some damage control is going to be necessary:

Laugh To Keep From Crying For Help: The Prince Albert & Princess Charlene Interview | Dlisted

Well, thanks for posting. I almost believed in the States people didn´t watch these interviews (as if it changed anything:bang:) and that it was not some good laughable material. All these haters who comment must have had a bad day:whistling:

Damage control to clean up your image after an article in Celebitchy and Dlisted? Really now ...

You are using Dlisted to strengthen your case? Seriously? So this is what you call objective? I personally find Dlisted's Michael K's articles hilariously irreverent but not something to pass on as fair and decent insights to events. Here's an example, this time on your favored royals.

THE QUEEN | Dlisted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom