The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Nobility

Three years into marriage,Princess Grace was already speaking French.Not perfect of course but you could see that she was making an effort..there was a dedication.An effort on her part to be a part of her new country.She did'nt have the luxury of staying in Monaco prior to her marriage to Prince Rainier.Theirs was a short courtship .Here's a video :1:10 mark :

My theory is that Princess Charlene and Albert talk in English all the time..hence,not being able to practice her French in an intense way,w/c to continually speaks in French.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Royal Highness

Some people are simply unable to learn a language no matter how hard they try, and how long they live in a country. Learning a language requires the exercise of certain parts of your brain we don't often use otherwise. Some people can do it easily, others can't.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Nobility

Well, if she really wanted to speak French, she could have spoken better than that ! Indeed, Princess Grace didn't leave in Moncao prior to her wedding and she succeeded very fast with a very charming accent. Just have a look on how other princesses tried : Alexandra, Mary and Marie of Denmark, Maxima of Netherlands,I am not sure that Danish and Dutch are easy languagues to learn but they tried and succeeded. I think, without offending anybody, that it is a minimum that the monegasques can expect from her, not all of them are speaking english, how could she be close to her people if she can communicate with them, especially the children. This is part of the duties of her new function. You have to take the whole package, not only the advantages but also the duties.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Courtier

I don't understand you guys.
First Charlene is being criticized for not speaking french.
Now she finally has the confidence to speak in front of a camera and all some of you can do is criticize her again.
I think it's great that she spoke french and showed up in that speech at all.

Have you ever seen Prince Philip show up at the Queen Elisabeth speech???

She didn't have to show up at all ...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Some people are simply unable to learn a language no matter how hard they try, and how long they live in a country. Learning a language requires the exercise of certain parts of your brain we don't often use otherwise. Some people can do it easily, others can't.
Some people just plain have a hard time learning - and that doesn't necessarily mean they are stupid. I had a horrible time in school. I could read a chapter three times a day for a week, but when it came time to be tested you'd have thought I'd never read it at all! And I'm not stupid - my records showed I was qualified to be a member of MENSA!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness

I was just thinking I haven't seen any pics of Albert and Charlene taking the annual Christmas charity dip at the Larvotto beach this year. Did it happen without them?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Royal Highness

Albert and Charlene took the annual christmas dip last years for the testa association.This association helped the victims of tsunami in Thailand and to raise money for the building of the houses in Thailand and in Indonesia. This association was dissolved this year. I know there was an another charity bath of an association made to fight again the breast krebs. It took place when Albert was in Suisse to inaugurat a hotel in Gstadt.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

That's correct. This year's Christmas swim has taken place on December 23 without any members of the Princely family. This time the proceeds were distributed to the local charity "Ecoute Cancer Reconfort".
Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you both of you for the info. It is a fun event which a charity would welcome the support of a royal in order to gain extra publicity. Hopefully next year.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I was just pleased to see her participating in the broadcast.
This is true. However, 10 seconds of badly accentuated words in french leave much to desire after so many years in Monaco.

Lets face it, what Charlene uttered in the video could have been uttered by anyone, no matter if one has been in contact with the french language or not. Based on what we have seen, there is no indication of what level of french (if at all) Charlene is capable of which is a shame and quite embarrassing for the first lady representing a country.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
This is true. However, 10 seconds of badly accentuated words in french leave much to desire after so many years in Monaco.

Lets face it, what Charlene uttered in the video could have been uttered by anyone, no matter if one has been in contact with the french language or not. Based on what we have seen, there is no indication of what level of french (if at all) Charlene is capable of which is a shame and quite embarrassing for the first lady representing a country.
Princess Grace never spoke really good French and yet she's held up as the exemplary Monaco consort. Grace spoke in English to Rainier (whose English was excellent) and to her children, which helps explain Albert's and Stephanie's American accents. ( Caroline's is more mid Atlantic)

My favourite quote about Grace and her not so great French was, after Rainier commented "her French is getting better" " Love is deaf as well as blind" muttered by a friend of his!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Off topic posts have been removed! Thanks for your understanding!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

HSH Prince Albert II and HSH Princess Charlene will be received in audience by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican on Saturday 12 January 2013.
Audience at the Vatican - Prince’s Palace of Monaco
Old 01-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post
Who can wear white to the Vatican? I don't remember any royal doing so!
The Privilège du blanc

Privilège du blanc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Royal Highness

Charlene wore white dress and a mantilla

Princess Charlene Of Monaco Arrives At The Cortile
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She shouldn't be wearing white, she's not a catholic queen.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Serene Highness

She must have been granted the privilege of wearing white. Maybe they got this as compensation for the Pope cancelling his visit to Monaco.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a gallery of the audience with the Pope today:

** gettyimages gallery: HSH Prince Albert II and HSH Princess Charlene Attend Audience With Pope Benedict XVI **
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Nobility

I think Princess Charlene now has he privilege du blanc, Royals never mess with protocol, and Charlene herself likes to stay in the safe side. I'm sure she would not wear white if she wasn't allowed to.
On a side note: Her outfit is gorgeous!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Thanks for the photo's ,the white lace mantilla is beautiful on the Princess!