The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is fine that Albert and Charlene were together to wish a good year to the principality. Good work. but Albert being the sovereighn had to speak the message. Charlene could only say some words, she is not the sovereighn.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Lovely to watch, thanks !

Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Serene Highness

Well, it confirms she doesn´t speak French.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
The new year's message for 2013 from Prince Albert and princess Charlene . last evening, it was on the monaco info. To day, it is on the page of Face book. At the end of the Message , Princess Charlene ended with wishes for 2013 in french.

http://www.facebook.com/palaismonaco

In Monaco matin
Le prince Albert II: "Consolider en 2013 le redressement amorcé" | monacomatin.com
Thanks for posting,I watched this earlier today on Facebook,I liked the little bit of French from the Princess!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

How some people can say that Charlene is not speaking french? She did not speak in english in the message. She has an accent as the stranger people has when they are speaking french.
She speaks french with the children and the speeches in french will come very soon.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Nobility

She is définitelya not fluent at all. It´s not only a matter of accent, maybe she can understand well but she clearly has difficulties to speak. Sorry, it' not a critic it´s a statement. I am only surprised that someone leaving for so many years in a french speaking country and with all the possibilities to learn has this level of knowledge.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

HOw can you say that she has a low level of knowledge , she only said one sentence , that the protocole allowed to say. Only Albert could speak yesterday as a sovereighn.
I would have understand that you criticed her if she spoke in english yesterday but criticing her because she wished a good year in 2013 in french !!!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Courtier

Given the fact that she has uttered only one sentence,I can absolutly not judge her fluency
But I agree that she a very heavy accent.Grace never lost her foreign accent too
Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Nobility

When Grace got married she was already speaking French, Check High Society movie, I guess it's because Grace came from a very rich family so might have learnt French when she was young!

In 2010 when they announced the engagement, there was a horrible interview done with Al and Char of the roof of the palace by some old presenter, Char could speak some French, and she understood what he said in French but couldn't reply everything in French. So I'm pretty sure that now, 2 years after that she can speak better, the accent will get better by time I guess
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

An old friend of Monaco who was choirchild at the chapel of the palace and who attended to the baptisms of prince Albert and princess Stéphanie said me that it was not a problem thhat princess Charlene did not speak fluently french, he said me that she made progress in this language ans she will soon speak french very well. He said me that in he was choir child, the staff of the palace spoke english and french, that the children spoke english and french and Princess Grace worked very hard to learn our language but kept a strong accent untill her death and at the end she spoke very well french
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post
When Grace got married she was already speaking French, Check High Society movie, I guess it's because Grace came from a very rich family so might have learnt French when she was young!

In 2010 when they announced the engagement, there was a horrible interview done with Al and Char of the roof of the palace by some old presenter, Char could speak some French, and she understood what he said in French but couldn't reply everything in French. So I'm pretty sure that now, 2 years after that she can speak better, the accent will get better by time I guess
There is a difference between reading one's lines in a movie and being able to actually speak the language. Remember when Grace first came to Monaco, Father whatever his name was, the Prince's confessor, remarked about Grace's french ' Apparently love is not only blind, it's deaf, too.'
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
There is a difference between reading one's lines in a movie and being able to actually speak the language. Remember when Grace first came to Monaco, Father whatever his name was, the Prince's confessor, remarked about Grace's french ' Apparently love is not only blind, it's deaf, too.'
True, by Graces own admission she learned French by reading French plays after her marriage. She continued to speak English to her husband and her children. While she did take some French as a school girl at home Ma Kelly was more intent on her children learning to speak German which they hated and after the US entered WWII the children told their mother it was unpatriotic to speak German.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by assia View Post
She is définitelya not fluent at all. It´s not only a matter of accent, maybe she can understand well but she clearly has difficulties to speak. Sorry, it' not a critic it´s a statement. I am only surprised that someone leaving for so many years in a french speaking country and with all the possibilities to learn has this level of knowledge.
You said EXACTLY what i was preparing to post!
She is a catastrophy!
I think she does not really serious efforts.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Nobility

Give her a break at least she is trying, perhaps languages are not her forte, they are not mine
Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Abosulutely. Many who write here, think they are writing English, but they are not. On the other hand they are trying and I admire them for that. Many people find speaking another language, difficult.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 AM
Administrator

That's right, debrann and Countess - and as long as she tries her best, everything is fine.

Here's the speech and a better (vertical) version of the New Year portrait (click to enlarge):

** palais.mc: Message de Vœux de LL.AA.SS. le Prince et la Princesse pour l'Année 2013 ** translation **
Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Serene Highness

French is a language, which is very difficult to learn. First the accent, second the grammar, which is a horrible one, I can tell you.
It may be, that she is one of those guys, who does not want to make a mistake - especially in an interview this will be repeated again and again.....
So I feel sorry for her.
Nevertheless she should try to learn and improve ASAP, this will keep critics away on the long term.

BYe Bine
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Courtier

Bear in mind that in South Africa, where we have 11 official languages, the Princess was never exposed to European languages. Very few schools offer French or German. The African languages(we study those at school according to the area where you live) are VERY different to European languages in terms of pronunciation, intonation and grammar. The Afrikaans language is similar to Dutch/Flemish, so German may have been much easier for her to learn than French. So let us not criticise, but rather encourage and compliment her in her efforts. She does seem to be trying very hard lately. I think it's a good idea for her to take it slowly, little by little and thus gain the necessary confidence.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was just pleased to see her participating in the broadcast. Yes I do agree that given the coaching and support available to her over the last few years, her grasp of the language appears to be taking a long time, but I don't see how her contribution here can be slated so harshly - it is Albert's speech. However, I thought the filming was a little odd - just Albert in the frame and then Charlene pops up to say a final greeting.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Abosulutely. Many who write here, think they are writing English, but they are not. On the other hand they are trying and I admire them for that. Many people find speaking another language, difficult.

It may be because some who write here didn´t have the chance to live in an English speaking country for 6 years. Charlene´s been living in Monaco for longer, and it looks like she took French classes just last month. The problem in not pronunciation because that is inevitable, esp. for those who take up a language as adults because the mouth, palatal, tongue, are used to producing the sounds of one language that has been learnt since birth, and it is difficult to change that. The problem is she seems to make a pause after every word and that is lack of practice and study which is unacceptable in her position.

Closed Thread