The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Never crossed my mind - they are all so very different - different cultures, role requirements, history etc etc. Complete fruit salad

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Never crossed my mind - they are all so very different - different cultures, role requirements, history etc etc. Complete fruit salad
I agree, that's my assessment as well. I view all the royal families as completely different from one another with no house better or worse than any of the others. I did feel that the interviewer had a bias in the way she presented the interview. Still, I thought both Albert & Charlene both did terribly.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was an awkward, stilted interview, and I think very little of that had to do with the interviewer herself, and more to do with the interviewees. The more I see of them together, the more I'm reminded of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Not because I think he's secretly gay, because I don't. More because they don't appear natural together. There's an aloof nature to the way they relate to one another, both physically (in terms of body language) and through words (the way they talk about each other). You would think, that after a year of marriage, either one of them would be able to say in a few short words, what they see in the other person. You would also think that Charlene could articulate in some small way, what married life is like. Not everyone is married, not everyone who is married is married to a Prince. These were not difficult questions, it's not like Holly Williams was sitting down with the President of the United States and asking him questions about foreign policy. This was essentially a fluff piece, and they both failed miserably IMO.

People of their stature are not interviewed without knowing the questions ahead of time, to be assured that nothing "out of bounds" is asked. It stands to reason that if they knew the questions they were going to be asked, they could have prepared better for it. This will do very little to convince people that they are gee golly gosh so in love with each other. Lest anyone accuse me of thinking there's only one way to communicate love and affection with one's spouse, I'm not suggesting they should be making moon eyes at each other, and pawing at the others clothes like a cat in heat. However, there is something between that and what we currently see from them. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge don't act like newlyweds on their honeymoon when out in public with one another, but you can clearly tell just by the way they interact with one another, that there is deep love and affection there. Same with Victoria and Daniel, Mary and Frederik, Maxima and Willem-Alexander, Mette-Marit and Haakon.....the list goes on. You can be royal, and suitably decorous, without being icy and robotic.

Something about those two has always been "off" to me, and this didn't do much to shake me of that.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allymclean View Post
Hmmm?!?! I am a bit baffled by this interview. Why would the question "what are the qualities that drew you to Princess..." be such a taboo. In light of all the negative publicity that they had at the time of their wedding and even now (somewhat), you would think that this would be the perfect occasion for him to deflate all of the "rumors". Even if he had said something as cliche as "her smile" or her "love of animals" (of course neither of which were said) it would have been something. Now I am left wondering what,if any, qualities he admirers in her. If you marry someone for the right reasons (as they say they did) even a bumbling Prince should be able to say SOMETHING remotely positive about his Princess. I have never even met Charlene and I can list at least 10 qualities I find attractive about her just from what i see in the tabloids. I am perplexed!!!!
Isabel Kumar did a wonderful pre-wedding interview with pa ad pc. She asked sensible questions and both of the couple answered them well. The questions included asking about children and what they like about each other and they were happy to answer them then so I don't know why they are being so defensive now. It is on youtube BTW if anyone wants to see it and it is in english:-/
Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I didn't notice either. I don't often see the main BRF commentator on this tread. If we are looking at what Tyger is saying same can be said about fans of other royals (Danish and Albert and Charlene) that goes into the BRF threads.

I don't think that the case. People can dislike one couple and like the other, it has nothing to do with competition.

Albert and Charlene have been asks these type of questions before. Plenty of time when they were giving many interviews before the wedding. I don't know why these questions are out of bound now.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Piers Morgan (CNN) will be interviewing Charlene and Albert on Friday's show.

As for the current interview, I agree that it was awkward. They were asked pretty easy/standard questions, so I'm a little surprised that they had such a difficult time answering them.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

Excuse me all of you!!!!!! Personal questions?? What on earth would you have asked these two instead of "how is married life"?? The interview was made on the occasion of their 1 anniversary, it is clear at the beginning. Would you have asked CW about how Monaco´s economy didn´t boost after this joke and failure of marriage? NOOO, you make simple questions. After 1 year of being a princess you can imagine that one of the questions is going to be "How is it to be a princess"?? Do they really need to have those silly questions printed in advance so as to rehearse a silly answer as if they were in kindergarden? All she can say is ehmm........!!! great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is how much she cares about her role NOTHING!! There is only one thing CW cares, SHE, her face, ahd her clothes. I have always said it and I´m glad this kind of interviews prove it.

My god, I feel so embarrased for PA. He usually gets nervous in interviews but he feels even more stressed when he´s with her. She makes him stammer even more because he knows she cannot make up a coherente sentece of subject + predicate. No wonder she cannot learn French.
You can see in his face how embarrased he is. He wants to run away an be miles away from her! The interview was laughable, hilarious. I´d be laughing loud if I didn´t feel sorry for him! Get rid of that embarrasing woman!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Piers Morgan (CNN) will be interviewing Charlene and Albert on Friday's show.

As for the current interview, I agree that it was awkward. They were asked pretty easy/standard questions, so I'm a little surprised that they had such a difficult time answering them.
OMG I hope they are ready for this one. Pier Morgan is a ferocious interviewer it's not that he's nasty but likes to ask the questions everyone wants asked and he didn't usually agree to having what he asks being controlled by the subject. If pa and pc come across well here it could be the making of them but it really will be do or die as there will be no where to hide.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
OMG I hope they are ready for this one. Pier Morgan is a ferocious interviewer it's not that he's nasty but likes to ask the questions everyone wants asked and he didn't usually agree to having what he asks being controlled by the subject. If pa and pc come across well here it could be the making of them but it really will be do or die as there will be no where to hide.
I think Piers asks some of the silliest questions ever including his standard "when was the last time you were properly loved".
Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Majesty

this interview is just not pleasant at all to watch. i always get the same feeling when watching their interviews. PA seems uncomfortable, i don't find him the best public speaker in the first place. of course, he does great things for monaco, but public communication is really not his best attribute. PC always comes across unprepared, too candid, maybe too informal. she obviously doesn't seem to have much experience in front of the cameras, but she's clearly liked. i think she will gain confidence little by little.

i need to give them a bit of "benefit of the doubt" though. maybe they are just tired about these kinds of questions... "what's married life like?", "what's charlene like?", "what do you feel about the rumours", etc. the interviewer could have asked about charlene's newly founded foundation, about their involvement in the london olympics (since it's clearly something they are both very involved in)... but she chose rather inconsequential questions.

yet, i think charlene could have articulated a better answer to the question on what it is like to be a princess, since people want to know about it. a more prepared and articulate answer would have been appreciated by the interviewer, i bet.

how odd that they showed how albert asked for a bit of time in the middle of the interview...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

You would think, with Albert's many millions, that after the first few awkward interviews, not to mention the awkward wedding, they'd have undertaken some PR training, or as a last-ditch attempt to control things better, maybe even vetted the questions before-hand (not that any of the questions asked were anything other than entirely predictable). Or maybe it's time for them to follow in the footsteps of other royal couples and pick and choose who they give interviews to, if they feel they have to give interviews at all. A bad workman blames his tools; and a bad interviewee blames the interviewer.

Not for the first time with this couple, I just felt uncomfortable watching it.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

perhaps they should follow the example of HMQ and not give any at all - maintain the mystery

ok - sorted out technical glitch, tried to wath it but it was as you have all said, too embarassing. Showing Pa giving the time out and then talking it about it - well I cringed.

It proves that neither Monaco or CBS were media savie about this. I asked v earlier on in this thread how it compared with the William and Catherine engagement interview. And it is obvious that the British couple were well prepared and A and C definitely were not. I was reminded a little of the Copenhagen interview with W&C where catherine stumbled slightly over the unrehearsed (aka nightmare) questions but got there in the end. William is obviously well trained and, if necessary, will speak for both of them.

Report says - must try harder; practice is required; C-

Poor Charlene.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Serene Highness

Just an observation: I'd like everyone to witness that some really very edgy stuff is being said about Albert and Charlene - and saying it's 'edgy' is being kind - yet not one poster who is expressing their opinion as ripely as they can is being 'gone after' on this thread. Interesting, wouldn't you say?

Posters are saying their say and no one is complaining, no one is lodging objections with moderators, no one is calling posts 'libelous', etc.. Posters are giving their impressions of videos and pictures, no more than that - impressions of what they believe they see as a loving couple or not - and not one response post is objecting to said opinions or - more significantly - upbraiding the poster. The thread is even staying open! Everyone is free to say what they wish - isn't that refreshing? I think so.

A courtesy is being granted here to some posters posting here that they themselves do not accord others elsewhere on this site. I find that interesting.

P.S. I have no doubt someone will come up with a rationale for the bullying that takes place elsewhere. Fact is, some posters are fine doing the same thing they decide is a not okay elsewhere. Impressions of videos and pictures do not need news articles to make them 'okay' and 'legit'.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Nobility

I think the interview was embarrassing. I honestly don't think she is "suitable" for the role (excuse my choice of word but couldn't come up with anything better.

I felt a bit sorry for both of them because something is "off". He seems terrified of what she might blurt out. She is unable to come up with one sentence about being a princess in her own language. She doesn't even have the excuse of a foreign language. I doubt this marriage will last long. I wish them the best but I am afraid they don't have a great future together. :(
Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 AM

I agree with everything Juliette2 said. I couldn't help but notice Charlene's expression during the religious wedding ceremony. It was written all over her face that she did not want to go through it, and it made me reconsider those rumors of her running away.

I was hoping for the best with these two, but with that CBS interview, I also highly doubt they will last long. Maybe the rumor of Charlene delivering an heir and then getting a divorce right after are true.

I usually don't pay much attention to the Monegasque royals, but that interview was so painful to watch. Really, what was going on there? Those were such simple questions, and Charlene was interviewed before her wedding, so it wasn't like she was uncomfortable - or shouldn't be.

They need to do a much better interview with Piers Morgan Friday or the media is going to go nuts reporting the marriage rumors.

Also, what exactly is wrong with the Monegasque royals? I don't think there's a curse or whatever, but why can't the Grimaldis' get themselves together?

Sorry for rambling, but that interview has me truly baffled.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
That reporter, Holy Williams, should find herself a new career. She's atrocious, as were her questions!

Prince Albert often fumbles for words (think wedding speech). I think it's just his way.

Princess Charlene I think was takenaback by the nature of the questions which really were quite rediculous. She did look uncomfortable.

It´s is not the press fault if they esp, she, cannot handle with the easiest questions. Imagine if the questions had been really complicated. Here is another part of the interview in which she´s asked about her foundation (as some of you were wishing). This answer was prepared or memorized it seems, just in case. The problem comes when there is no script to follow.

Prince Albert, Princess Charlene on marriage, royalty - CBS News Video

Edit: the link is the same, but the second part is on le right.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Courtier

They are not getting their money's worth from their aides. You'd think the aides might be tasked to help prep them for things of this nature. This interview was planned, the questions asked were generally the kind one might expect in this type of interview, so why couldn't an aide assist so they could better articulate ie. what it's like for Charlene to be a princess. For example, she could have said (and this is just my imagination, if I was an aide helping prep for an interview - the details in the following are just for illustration purposes only!) "it's great. I get to meet many different people from all walks of life. It's allowed me to establish my foundation, which aimes to help women and children in need. Plus, I get to promote Monaco and it's people - who have been so welcoming, friendly and accepting of me over the years. I'm still learning, and it's a process, but Albert is a wonderful support and I'm enjoying it.". Please sack the Aides - they don't need PR polish, just smooth out the rough edges.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Serene Highness

People need to re-watch the 'interview' because it may be a disappointment for Monaco fans because of its brevity (and hatchet job) but it is far from what some are saying here.

Albert is a cool guy. He is who he is in public. I agree he is not a public speaker - he's no Prince Charles - but he is a man who just warms the heart - and it's pretty clear that Charlene is comfortable with him, playful, and - as even the interviewer admitted - is pretty strong. I suspect that they are partiers - and their selves are more relaxed in expansive social sitiuations.

The so-called 'interview' is a clip of about 6:00 minutes. We actually see only about 60 seconds of 'interview' - that's it: i minute out of 6 minutes of spin and salacious gossipy 'context' - and what we see at one point is a very pissed Charlene when the interviewer starts asking Albert questions about the 'rumors' and the scandals. I think Charlene was pretty well savvy at that moment what this interviewer was about. Her body language suggests that she was furious. As I said we have no way of knowing when Albert called a halt to the interview - and I'll wager when he called 'time' he was very much responding to Charlene's anger with the interviewer. This thing has been edited in a very 'interesting' way.

In the 1:41 side clip when Charlene answers the questions about her foundation (I mis-heard that initially) and the Olympic athletes, she was fine. As I said, she has an unspoilt affect - she is who she is - she is not trying to be anything other than who she is and Albert is fine with her. He had a little smile while she answered her 'serious' questions. She is polite - but I suspect from this little piece Charlene doesn't suffer fools gladly. She knew precisely what this woman was about once the gossipy questions started and I do think they were ambushed. When they got the drift - I think Charlene let Albert know in her way that the interview needed to stop and he obliged and they were gone. Or he stopped and had a word with the interviewer. But I think they bugged out. I doubt that woman will ever get her foot in the door again.

As an aside, I have noticed in pictures of Charlene with groups of people that everyone is smiling. I recall one where every woman's eye was looking at her with big smiles on their faces. That tells you a lot. Charlene's okay - as is Albert.

I look forward to the Friday interview. Glad I know about it now. I'll watch.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Courtier

Tyger - I completely agree with your take on the interview above. I furthermore find it quite irritating that they keep harping on the same old issues ( rumors, his children, etc ). We are on the eve of a huge sporting event, both of them are sports people. Why not ask them about their involvement with sport ( IOC, will he be handing over any medals, etc ), glad they eventually included the bit of Charlene and her involvement with the swimmers. And if they wanted a more personal angle the interviewer could ask how they keep fit, do they train together, etc.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Piers Morgan will be similarly easy and deferential. He doesn't have a clue how to interview anymore. On his old UK series he was ok because he was bold at times. On his CNN show he's a totally different person, trying to be best friends with those he's interviewing. That's probably why his show only gets 39,000 viewers in the all-important 25-54 demo, CNN's worst ratings in 15 years. Maybe Albert and Charlene will be more relaxed for this interview given almost no-one will be watching?

Closed Thread