Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock Current Events - Part 5: June 2010 - June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms Wittstock is then like Princess Grace with her skill of speaking French. At the beginning Princess Grace spoke hesitantly in French. Just like what you are expressing with Charlene. I read the Princess stay away from her subjects at first because of her poor French speaking.:flowers:

Well then half the people who learn French are like Princess Grace.
You could compare Charlene to nearly everyone learning french.

I find it strange that her command of French is - apparently - so weak.

In four years, anyone who lives in a French-speaking environment would passively absorb much of the language (as opposed to learning it).

Let's hope that someone will take her in hand, otherwise she will not be very popular with the Monegasques. How will she hold a conversation with one of the old ladies at the (finally) completed "A Quietüdine" ??

Ms Wittstock is then like Princess Grace with her skill of speaking French. At the beginning Princess Grace spoke hesitantly in French. Just like what you are expressing with Charlene. I read the Princess stay away from her subjects at first because of her poor French speaking.:flowers:

It´s not the beginning, she´s been living there for 4 years.

And the questions are given in advance of course. There cannot be "incorrect answers".

I find it strange that her command of French is - apparently - so weak.

In four years, anyone who lives in a French-speaking environment would passively absorb much of the language (as opposed to learning it).

Let's hope that someone will take her in hand, otherwise she will not be very popular with the Monegasques. How will she hold a conversation with one of the old ladies at the (finally) completed "A Quietüdine" ??

Not so odd when you look at other consorts who have married into foreign nations. Henrik has lived in Denmark for more than 40 years and Danes still comment on his grasp of Danish and his accent.The Flemish complain that after 50 years Paola still doesnt speak proper Flemish. Dutch commentators have said that after a good start Maxima's Dutch seems to be deteriorating instead of getting better. Grace lived in Monaco for years before she felt even remotely comfortable talking to a reporter in French and much preferred to do all interviews in English. After one interview in French she reportedly broke down in tears due to the stress. Early in the marriage when the prince complimented her on her French abilities, Father Tucker supposedly responded " I knew love was blind, but I didn't know it was deaf as well", LOL.

Personally, my French (which is passable in casual conversation) is much worse when I'm nervous or put on the spot. It wouldn't surprise me if the nerves from having her first big interview, having to be careful about what she says (no matter how practiced), and knowing people would be listening to the quality of her French had a detrimental effect on her command of the language.

I love to study foreign languages, but quite frankly not everyone has the knack. :ermm:

One would have hoped Charlene would have had a better grasp of the language after four years, but by her own admission she was/is not very studious.

On the upside she seems to be able to understand, and hopefully she can read French fairly well at this point.

I am certain that she will attain fluency, hopefully before her wedding.

Otherwise, Charlene might find the temperature quite chilly on the Rock...:sad:

Order has made a good point. Charlotte was ehing in her first interview and french is her native language. Your mind freezes up when you are nervous. This was Charlenes first big interview, plus being in a foreign language, plus saying things that could affect people other than just herself. I think we need to give her a break. I would be a wreck.

I read the transcript, and my impression is of someone kind hearted, well-meaning and very grounded.

She seems very eager to embrace and be accepted by the Monegasques. I especially liked her comment "in my heart, this is already my country"(loose translation from the French)

No wonder - she has, after all, been living there for at least four years.

Let's hope that she now wakes up to the job of a Princess. It 's not a job for amateurs, and it needs someone who is media-savvy, not just kind-hearted.

I haven't seen any signs of the media being kind-hearted - rather the opposite.

You are right, FanofMonaco, I think that she can manage in French but does not dare to speak it now.... you can absorb a language to the point of understanding it but be unsure to speak it, especially in front of a camera and so in front of millions of people !

Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock during their Capri-weekend
in May, we haven't seen many pics of that so far.
And yes, these are examples of Charlene smoking ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gallery **

Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock during their Capri-weekend
in May, we haven't seen many pics of that so far.
And yes, these are examples of Charlene smoking ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gallery **
I thought she had quit smoking since we hadn't seen it in years. That must be fun since Albert banned smoking from the Palace removing all the ash trays. Thanks for the photos Iceflower.

I thought she had quit smoking since we hadn't seen it in years. That must be fun since Albert banned smoking from the Palace removing all the ash trays. Thanks for the photos Iceflower.

Yes, thanks for the photos. She's still smoking? and she wants to be an example to young athletes and charities? What was she thinking?

For a native Italian speaker, Flemish and Dutch are extraordinarily difficult to pronounce. I feel for Paola....

On the positive side..CW and PA appear natural, affectionate and relaxed with one another...not a bit "staged" as some have asserted.

The negative? Cigarette smoking=Foul breath, stained teeth and premature wrinkes...not to mention heart/lung disease and cancer. :sad:

Not a good look at all for a future Princess who assiduously promotes physical prowess and well being in most of her public pronouncements.

Smoking is such a turn off:sick:!! She really needs to quit ASAP

There is no big buzz about their relationship. It is stale. Levi Johnson and Bristol Palin are heating up the news with their engagement. Levi is more man that Albert, he marrying his son's mother. I think these pictures makes Albert look very lacking as a Head of State. This woman brings absolutely nothing to Monaco.

I'd love to see PA stop PC from smoking in her office. Remember when PA said women couldn't work in the Palace wearing slacks. Then it was changed to they could wear slacks after working there a year. My guess is that PC and PS were the 2 biggest offenders.

I didn't know she smoked.
CW may have always smoked - especially since she set foot in Monaco- BUt what is that saying around here - give her time-it has only been four years- no Olympian smokes and represents an athlete and their body which is a temple. I am glad some of these myths regarding the pure Charlene are being dispelled. Maybe next we will know that CW is not a vegetarian.
Pa is a "green " Prince and he cannot control the smoke emissions from CW.

Most of the family smokes why should Charlene not smoke. Living with a smoker I know it is not easy to quit.

I smoke, I do not boast about itbut it is a fact of life that smoking is not illegal and does not make you a less worthy person.

CW may have always smoked - especially since she set foot in Monaco- BUt what is that saying around here - give her time-it has only been four years- no Olympian smokes and represents an athlete and their body which is a temple.

Really? I see to recall Mr Phelps being photographed smoking pot, and Greg Louganis mentions in his autobiography sneaking out for a cigarette with a Russian athlete at the Olympics. Not advocating smoking but it is not entirely unheard of amongst athletes.

There is no big buzz about their relationship. It is stale. Levi Johnson and Bristol Palin are heating up the news with their engagement. Levi is more man that Albert, he marrying his son's mother. I think these pictures makes Albert look very lacking as a Head of State. This woman brings absolutely nothing to Monaco.

I know that you are not keen on the CW and PA engagement, but comparing their "buzz" to the trainwreck that is Bristol/Levi is probably not a good idea. They are creating buzz here in the U.S. of course, where trashy pseudo-celebs are the rage.

But I am certain that Le Monde, Paris Match, Oggi, Bunte etc won't be covering their engagement or wedding...that coverage will go to Albert and Charlene.

Of course it will. I'm not familiar with "Bristol/Levi" whoever they are.....

As regards the smoking, CW needs to conform to PA's wishes in the matter. He - and the whole Grimaldi clan - needs a consort who is whiter than white. CW claims she and PA want children. Well, the first thing is to stop smoking!

Of course it will. I'm not familiar with "Bristol/Levi" whoever they are.....

Bit of topic but Bristol Palin is the daughter of Sarah Palin, who made her name in the last USA Election.
Levi Johnston got her pregnant during the campaign and it was said they were engaged. Their son was born in December 2008. However they ended their engagement, and then a custody battle started of their son Tripp, Levi was originally granted custody, but then I think it went to Bristol.
As of today, they are back together and engaged again.

So apparently their relationship, which is a trainwreck, is getting more press in the USA than Charlene and PA's. Which to be quite honest, is no actual surprise.

Regards Charlene & smoking, and her being an athlete, I just wanted to say that though I myself do not believe in smoking e-v-e-r, I know for a fact at least 50% of figure skating athletes smoke. Yes, lol, you are talking to a long-time figure skating fan, and I know my facts. ;) Seriously, I can name names if I have to, lol. :D

That said, I wish the whole Grimaldi family would stop smoking, which includes Charlene. I don't care that it is a common habit for those in Europe, especially, it doesn't make it right. It's time for them to set a good example. Here's their chance. Time to turn over a fresh leaf. Make a new start ~ a whole new era will begin with Charlene!!!!! *clapping*

By the way, on a more positive note, I looooooooove the fact that Charlene is a former Olympian, just like Prince Albert, his famous Triple Gold Medal Olympian maternal grandfather, and his late maternal first male cousin; once an athlete always an athlete in my humble opinion. :) And as we all know, the whole Kelly clan were athletes and into physical education, including Prince Grace's mother.

In fact, in my humble opinion, Charlene is partially responsible (along with Prince Albert, of course) for her future nieces taking up sport in a serious manner ~ Pauline diving, Charlotte riding, and Alexandra figure skating! What a positive role model she is thus far. I look forward to seeing more of her positive influence in the coming years...

She is a retired competative athlete. If she smokes the only thing it will effect is her health, not her ability to compete as it's no longer a concern.

Mind you, one would think that her health would be enough of a reason not to smoke...

LumutQueen - many thanks for putting me in the picture about the Palin clan. I should have recognised the name from last year's elections......

Nadine - a very interesting contribution - but the reality is that smoking in public has been made illegal by several European countries, and presumably others too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom