Charlene : entretien exclusif | nicematin.com

Google translation:
Google Traduttore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Prince Albert and his fiancee Charlene Wittstock participate in the "Dinner
in the Sky"-event on July 12, 2010, in Monaco. During five days, the
organisation accomodates for each of the fifthteen sessions, twenty-two
people around a table suspended at a height of 25 meters.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **
More pics from Reuters/Daylife:
Imagehaven.net - Free image hosting

Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder whether the PPDA interview has been pulled in favour of an exclusive interview with Charlene......

It's like the transmission did never take place....

Info Monaco is also unavailable...

But there are some mixed comments from Nice-matin readers:
http://www.nicematin.com/article/cot...mardi#comments

Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Courtier

According to this blog, the interview was aired last Monday.
I hope we will be able to watch it soon.

A trailer for the interview
Old 07-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Gentry

I have been on both sites nothing. I am thinking they have removed it. If anyone finds pls post and thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I waded through the entire list of France 2 programmes, and no sign of "L'autre Prince". Last night the item was still flagged up.

I wonder what was in the programme that could not have been found to be risky before its transmission. After all, it had been filmed approx. a couple of weeks before the screening.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

It was aired yesterday evening at 20.15 on La Une (Belgian channel) and at 22.15 on France 2 (French Channel).

Albert was interviewed in the Palace and in the gardens. Only at the end they were joined by Charlene. Charlene talked in French and English. First question in French and she answered in French. A question in English and answer in English. Some other questions in French and she asked if she could answer in English.
Her French is still very hesitating, but she seemed to understand it well. Her voice sounds really young.

They seemed both nervous. But Albert always seems nervous to me in French interviews. There were no surprise questions or answers.

There was also a bit with a speech from Grace about the Red Cross. I think a part from the French interview with her and Rainier and their oldest children in the Palace garden, it's the first time I heard Grace talk French.
She seemed to have kept a strong English accent, but is sounded really good. Off course reading a speech is something really different from a conversation.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

The programme was based on the book 'L'autre Prince' by one of his Councillors, right-hand woman Christiane Stahl.

Here's the YouTube trailer:
Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
It was aired yesterday evening at 20.15 on La Une (Belgian channel) and at 22.15 on France 2 (French Channel).

Albert was interviewed in the Palace and in the gardens. Only at the end they were joined by Charlene. Charlene talked in French and English. First question in French and she answered in French. A question in English and answer in English. Some other questions in French and she asked if she could answer in English.
Her French is still very hesitating, but she seemed to understand it well. Her voice sounds really young.

They seemed both nervous. But Albert always seems nervous to me in French interviews. There were no surprise questions or answers.

There was also a bit with a speech from Grace about the Red Cross. I think a part from the French interview with her and Rainier and their oldest children in the Palace garden, it's the first time I heard Grace talk French.
She seemed to have kept a strong English accent, but is sounded really good. Off course reading a speech is something really different from a conversation.
i check the website nothing but i am surprise her french is still very hesitating she had live in Monaco for 4years it should be fine anyway i would love to see the interview... thanks for the info.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Today's Nice-Matin has Patrick Poivre d'Arvor, the story about the 70 minute interview, and his collaboration with Christiane Stahl:

PPDA raconte Albert II, « l'autre prince » | nicematin.com
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post

There was also a bit with a speech from Grace about the Red Cross. I think a part from the French interview with her and Rainier and their oldest children in the Palace garden, it's the first time I heard Grace talk French.She seemed to have kept a strong English accent, but is sounded really good. Off course reading a speech is something really different from a conversation.
Ms Wittstock is then like Princess Grace with her skill of speaking French. At the beginning Princess Grace spoke hesitantly in French. Just like what you are expressing with Charlene. I read the Princess stay away from her subjects at first because of her poor French speaking.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Ms Wittstock is then like Princess Grace with her skill of speaking French. At the beginning Princess Grace spoke hesitantly in French. Just like what you are expressing with Charlene. I read the Princess stay away from her subjects at first because of her poor French speaking.
Well then half the people who learn French are like Princess Grace.
You could compare Charlene to nearly everyone learning french.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I find it strange that her command of French is - apparently - so weak.

In four years, anyone who lives in a French-speaking environment would passively absorb much of the language (as opposed to learning it).

Let's hope that someone will take her in hand, otherwise she will not be very popular with the Monegasques. How will she hold a conversation with one of the old ladies at the (finally) completed "A Quietüdine" ??
Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post

It´s not the beginning, she´s been living there for 4 years.

And the questions are given in advance of course. There cannot be "incorrect answers".
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
I find it strange that her command of French is - apparently - so weak.

In four years, anyone who lives in a French-speaking environment would passively absorb much of the language (as opposed to learning it).

Let's hope that someone will take her in hand, otherwise she will not be very popular with the Monegasques. How will she hold a conversation with one of the old ladies at the (finally) completed "A Quietüdine" ??
Not so odd when you look at other consorts who have married into foreign nations. Henrik has lived in Denmark for more than 40 years and Danes still comment on his grasp of Danish and his accent.The Flemish complain that after 50 years Paola still doesnt speak proper Flemish. Dutch commentators have said that after a good start Maxima's Dutch seems to be deteriorating instead of getting better. Grace lived in Monaco for years before she felt even remotely comfortable talking to a reporter in French and much preferred to do all interviews in English. After one interview in French she reportedly broke down in tears due to the stress. Early in the marriage when the prince complimented her on her French abilities, Father Tucker supposedly responded " I knew love was blind, but I didn't know it was deaf as well", LOL.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Gentry

Personally, my French (which is passable in casual conversation) is much worse when I'm nervous or put on the spot. It wouldn't surprise me if the nerves from having her first big interview, having to be careful about what she says (no matter how practiced), and knowing people would be listening to the quality of her French had a detrimental effect on her command of the language.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Majesty

I love to study foreign languages, but quite frankly not everyone has the knack.

One would have hoped Charlene would have had a better grasp of the language after four years, but by her own admission she was/is not very studious.

On the upside she seems to be able to understand, and hopefully she can read French fairly well at this point.

I am certain that she will attain fluency, hopefully before her wedding.

Otherwise, Charlene might find the temperature quite chilly on the Rock...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Serene Highness

Order has made a good point. Charlotte was ehing in her first interview and french is her native language. Your mind freezes up when you are nervous. This was Charlenes first big interview, plus being in a foreign language, plus saying things that could affect people other than just herself. I think we need to give her a break. I would be a wreck.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Majesty

I read the transcript, and my impression is of someone kind hearted, well-meaning and very grounded.

She seems very eager to embrace and be accepted by the Monegasques. I especially liked her comment "in my heart, this is already my country"(loose translation from the French)
Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

No wonder - she has, after all, been living there for at least four years.

Let's hope that she now wakes up to the job of a Princess. It 's not a job for amateurs, and it needs someone who is media-savvy, not just kind-hearted.

I haven't seen any signs of the media being kind-hearted - rather the opposite.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Heir Apparent

You are right, FanofMonaco, I think that she can manage in French but does not dare to speak it now.... you can absorb a language to the point of understanding it but be unsure to speak it, especially in front of a camera and so in front of millions of people !

Closed Thread