The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Grace stopped speaking in French to French reporters. They were always trying to play " gotcha" with her. There is a big difference between speaking a language conversationally and speaking as a representative of a country. It takes many, many years to learn all of the slang and nuances of a foreign language. It's not just a matter of a literal translation. There is a big difference even between British and American. A Brit using the terms "fag" and asking "to knock you up in the morning" might result in the Brit being punched out by the American. Even PC, who speaks excellent English, raised alot of American eyebrows, in her Barbara Walters interview, when she said her mother "was full of it". She meant full of humor, but that is American slang for "full of **." Many wars have been started by simple misunderstandings between languages and cultures. I think we should cut Charlene some slack on the language issue. I get the impression she is trying to learn the language, but I doubt she will ever do interviews other than in English, even after she is fluent in French.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Here's a Hola article about the German TV interview, the google translation once more isn't that perfect..

** Alberto de Mónaco y Charlenne Wittstock: 'Nos gustaría tener hijos pronto para empezar a formar nuestra propia familia' **

** translation **

Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_ View Post
After five years living in a french speaking country?!? Anyone would be completely fluent and proficient after all this time, may be with an accent, but anyway...

Oh, I agree with you completely! But the fact is that after five years she has NOT mastered the language, for whatever reason.

So I can completely understand her not being willing to conduct an interview in French until she is certain of not making embarrassing mistakes.(see FanofMonaco's EXCELLENTpost above!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsla View Post
I thought he learned German in College?
During a visit to the U.S. in 1961-1962(it was a private visit to the Kellys) a Palace spokesman told LIFE magazine that little Caroline and Albert were both fluent in French, English and German.

It was accompanied by a photo of the children taken in the back of a limousine.

I very clearly remember reading it a few years ago when I was browsing periodicals at the library.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Serene Highness

It doesn't matter how well you know a language if you haven't lived there for a long time you don't understand all of the localisms. I know Americans who have gone overseas in the military. They say when they return they feel like they are in a foreign country. Everything, the fads, the humor, has changed. Imagine what it is like to move to a new country where the culture and language is totally different. Monaco, in a way, may be more difficult. Everybody speaks English so you are not forced to learn like you would somewhere else.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Aristocracy

She seems really happy and prepared for her role, good for her can't fault someone from enjoying their life. But she should stop fooling with with mother nature...

Ive seen the german interview...he doesn't seem happy...just blahhh...on the other hand she is excited, happy, can't wait to have children...did anyone else pick up on that?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Monaco royal wedding: 'I simply can't wait to have a family'
Prince Albert of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock talk about their desire to have children ahead of their wedding
Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine10 View Post
Ive seen the german interview...he doesn't seem happy...just blahhh...on the other hand she is excited, happy, can't wait to have children...did anyone else pick up on that?
On the other hand...I have NEVER seen video or photos of PA coming off as "excited" about anything...
Old 05-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Courtier

Unhappy? What is he unhappy about if he is marrying the woman he loves?

If this is not making him happy why would he marry the lady?

The fact that he is marrying her must make him HAPPY. I am sure he would not marry anyone he did not love.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, he did state that he didn't know if she was his soulmate.
Anyway, i don't think these two are getting married for love, but business. Which is not wrong. But love? People almost don't marry for love anymore.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Administrator

I disagree...I think people still marry for love.

I just think as you mature things that might have been important 10 to 20 years ago, are not anymore. You might be looking for companionship instead of adventure IMO.

I don't know why people are expecting Albert and Charlene to act like Victoria and Daniel. People express themselves differently.

Again, I think Charlene came off a little bit more natural in this interview. I like her hair, can't tell its hair pieces or its just growing. If so, I think that is going to be a nice look for the wedding.

Its a shame she didn't make it to London for the Chelesa Flower show. That would have been nice.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with Zonk ... one can't expect PA to act like Daniel. And CW seems very level-headed, someone who is glad to have entered a lucrative contractual relationship.

The Chelsea Flower Show is very much PA's project - mainly to promote Monaco, of course.

CW is probably busy with the dress, coiffure ...
Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Courtier

I am sure it is a lovematch and they are both happy in their own way. Why would Albert marry just for a business arrangement. If people think it is a business arrangement then who do they think Albert would rather marry? I am sure he is marrying because he wants the lady.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Love is overrated imho. When one marries one's first priority should be future children, always, unless one is past the age of birthing. Otherwise children come first, their needs, priorities, emotions, stable environment, stable marriage, two parents, etc.

I agree with what Prince Rainier stated when an interviewer asked him about if it was love at first sight with Princess Grace. And Rainier said "no", marriage is about mutual understanding, not a fleeting thing like love at first sight. ITA.

That said, of course there has to be affection, attraction, friendship. It all starts with friendship, and mutual understanding. The rest will follow...

ps: I'm afraid youth get lust and love mixed up, which is why I agree with arranged marriages, the elders know best imho. They've lived life and are wise beyond their years.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know how Charlene and Albert met?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Charlene did explain that in the interview for the two German tv correspondents.

As Nadine said: it has to start with friendship.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Courtier

New pictures of Prince Albert and Charlene by Karl Lagerfeld for Madame Figaro
Photogallery: Charlene Wittstock : «*L
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Majesty

When on Earth did she pose for THAT??! It looks like something Princess Stephanie would have worn back in the 1980's.

Not the future Princess of Monaco.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Administrator

I was getting ready to say that maybe this isn't a current photo. Magazines have been known to pull out an old picture and throw it on a magazine cover.

But she is wearing her engagement ring, isn't she?

Goodness...someone get a PR firm and give this girl a talking to. Surely Albert isn't let her do things off the reservation without any palace guidance. A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Lovely photos...thanks for posting them.

PA has definitely lost weight since CP Victoria's wedding last summer.

For the last few months she hasn't put a foot wrong. No dicey photos, controversial interviews...so if this IS a recent picture it's a big setback IMO.

It just doesn't promote the look of a Serene Highness of Monaco...and it isn't very flattering either.

ITA with Zonk that the Palace handlers dropped the ball here, but CW is not 18...her innate sense of good judgment should have come into play as well.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Okay...I am torn about these pictures.

First, I kind of like the idea of these pictures. As I stated in the Frederick and Mary threads when the Vanity Fair pics came out, royals have been posing and photographed in magazines like Vanity Fair for years.

That being said, I don't like some of these pics. Don't get me wrong, the photography is awesome: Albert looks nice, Charlene looks beautiful, but some of them are just not right IMO. Taking a picture of Charlene in her robe, and coming out of a swimming pool in format gear (I am on the fence with that one) Add this to the cover of her in her biker gear, and you have to ask who is running the asylum? All the questions and concerned can't be at Charlene's feet.

I realize that Monaco is looking for greater international recognition but I am not sure if this is the way to do it.

Closed Thread