Prince Albert & Charlene Wittstock Current Events 1 : July 2007 - Oct.2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
France-Argentine : Charlene Wittstock : 1 - François Fillon : 0 - Confidentiels - Lepoint.fr

The story about Charlene's remarks to M Fillon are here. I believe Le Point is pretty respectable. I've read and seen links on another board that this was picked up by more "hard news" papers as well. I'll look for those links...
Here's another link:
Le Monde.fr : Le XV de France au centre d'une mêlée politique
Selon une anecdote rapportée par Le Figaro Magazine du 15 septembre, "agacé par le comportement de la compagne du prince Albert de Monaco, qui applaudissait le jeu argentin, François Fillon n'a pu s'empêcher de lui faire remarquer le côté "déplaisant" de la situation." "J'applaudis ceux qui jouent au rugby", aurait rétorqué Charlene Wittstock, une citoyenne d'Afrique du Sud.
Some of us posted about them on Monaco.freeforums.
When you watch pics she was beside french prime minister !!! such a mistake for the glamourous girlfriend!!!

Au contraire, such a mistake for Albert for not teaching his girlfriend what is the proper protocol to follow with foreign dignitaries. :eek:

I agree! PA is the one who needs to put his act together. He is the Prince and a sovereign, he should have known by now how to behave and who to take with him when meeting with other dignitaries (in private or public settings).
Charlene is just Charlene for now, and the fact that PA or anyone around him didn't take time to coach/teach her manners and protocol when in PA's company speaks volumes. Neither PA nor palace protocol personnel think that they should waste their time on her.
Taking her out in public without previous extensive training (unfortunately that is what Charlene needs) is PA's mistake not Charlene's.

Last edited:
I agree! PA is the one who needs to put his act together. He is the Prince and a sovereign, he should have known by now how to behave and who to take with him when meeting with other dignitaries (in private or public settings).
Charlene is just Charlene for now, and the fact that PA or anyone around him didn't take time to coach/teach her manners and protocol when in PA's company speaks volumes. Neither PA nor palace protocol personnel think that they should waste their time on her.
Taking her out in public without previous extensive training (unfortunately that is what Charlene needs) is PA's mistake not Charlene's.
Excellent remark, if Charlene was so important for albert's eyes to make a wife, the future princess then he (or his circle of acquaintances) would have her learnt the details of the protocol, to behave better. Thus she does not have to be her elected representative (I know: it is the speculation) but it is all that leaves us albert

You might all be on to something. Perhaps PA and the Palace are not bothering to "train" her because PA already realizes he has no intention of marrying her and has informed them not to waste their time.

If this is so, shame on PA for trotting her around everywhere where she apparently hasn't a clue on how to conduct herself and shame on her for allowing it.

But...if it's an arrangement that makes them both happy, I guess there is nothing anyone can do.

Au contraire, such a mistake for Albert for not teaching his girlfriend what is the proper protocol to follow with foreign dignitaries. :eek:

Well, maybe that she is so plainspoken is why he was attracted to her?:lol: :flowers:

But yes, he (or somebody) should now concentrate on tightening up her manners now that they seem to have gotten the clothes and the hair cleaned up. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Excellent remark, if Charlene was so important for albert's eyes to make a wife, the future princess then he (or his circle of acquaintances) would have her learnt the details of the protocol, to behave better. Thus she does not have to be her elected representative (I know: it is the speculation) but it is all that leaves us albert

Well, but this is giving Albert the worst of all worlds. As long as he's carting her round to official and semi-official events, it's up to him or his protocol people to make sure she's clued up enough to not embarrass him and his opposite numbers in other countries. If he wants to show everyone that he really doesn't care enough about her to give a damn, he should send her packing. This really is becoming stranger and stranger.

Well, but this is giving Albert the worst of all worlds. As long as he's carting her round to official and semi-official events, it's up to him or his protocol people to make sure she's clued up enough to not embarrass him and his opposite numbers in other countries. If he wants to show everyone that he really doesn't care enough about her to give a damn, he should send her packing. This really is becoming stranger and stranger.

I have to agree the whole thing is odd. Maybe that's why we are all getting a bit frustrated. It's like watching a good soap opera and trying to tell the players that their in trouble. Of course they can't here us but we try anyway. I always like the tv show Dynasty. Maybe we are treating Charlene like the Joan Collins character. We want someone to put her in her place and make her behave.

Yes you are right to say that it gives a bad aspect to the prince, a bad role.
There is a proverb which says: " is better to be alone than badly accompanied " maybe that albert does not like being only then he prefers to be badly accompanied IMO

She was a guest and insulted her host that is rude on her part. She was apparently very obnoxious in her comments. I would ask that you go back to the source where the article is stated and read it. It is not about the French PM being thin skinned it is that she was just plain rude to her host. When Albert attended the Irish/French match he was no longer seated with the French dignitaries and Charlene was not at the game. The correct way to handle a situation like that is to say something like " Too bad the French team has not been playing well lately. It looks to me like Argentina has the stronger team and may well win today." That is voicing one's opinion without insulting one's host. She showed that she had no manners at all.

You are correct, I should have read the article. I have now, and it does sound like she was exhibiting at the very least bad manners. Either she thinks she's so special that she can get away with it, or she just doesn't have a clue. Or, perhaps, both.

Elspeth,
That is exactly it!
(IMO) He shouldn't be bringing anyone who isn't his wife to these events. Even more of a problem when his date doesn't have the grace or common sense to know how to behave like a grown up. I agree if he is going to bring her, he should know her behavior reflects on him! Carting her around is the right phrase. He should be trying to phase her out, I believe he's stuck with with her now.

Well, maybe that she is so plainspoken is why he was attracted to her?:lol: :flowers:

But yes, he (or somebody) should now concentrate on tightening up her manners now that they seem to have gotten the clothes and the hair cleaned up. :popcorn:
"you can dress them up, but you can't take them out"

Yes you are right to say that it gives a bad aspect to the prince, a bad role.
There is a proverb which says: " is better to be alone than badly accompanied " maybe that albert does not like being only then he prefers to be badly accompanied IMO

That has always been my motto!
Especially, when people are speculating that she could be his wife, which makes it worse. Since often it's the woman who makes the man. Not very promising, as it looks like we are already starting to see it?

You are correct, I should have read the article. I have now, and it does sound like she was exhibiting at the very least bad manners. Either she thinks she's so special that she can get away with it, or she just doesn't have a clue. Or, perhaps, both.
Thanks lea, I haven't quite figured out how to pull articles forward but things to start to get a life of their own so I find it's always best to go back to the source what ever the source may be!

i second you, I think they are foolish! :bang:
I don't know if PR will be able to do something to improve Albert's image, because when he's in Monaco, he's parading (sorry Mandy) with her and when he's exporting her she makes a mistake.
I think he only wants to be with a blonde and he doesn't care about what people are thinking even if he's head of state. We have to wait and see if he'll find his brain.

Precisely -- which is why a many of us have been either scratching our collective heads or beating them against a wall for nearly two years now. Many of us are over laying the blame for the poor behaviour from both of them because Albert is clearly in a position now whereby he can tell Palace protocol officers to mind their own business. Albert probably finds the lack of emphasis on proper behaviour in his female companions "refreshing" and hints at a more private life that he wishes he could live. However, I doubt he realizes that his position and wealth is what allows him to live the playboy lifestyle he cherishes.

I blame no one for Charlene's behaviour but Charlene. She is old enough (at least physically) to have some iota of what is acceptable in certain situations. Apparently her situation with Albert makes her feel that she is above certain things such as manners and respect for another's position which are ironically not very royal behaviour.

Would I like to believe that this incident may the beginning of the end of this relationship, I don't know. It's gotten some play in the mainstream press and regardless of what happens it reflects badly on Albert. Can you imagine what it would happen is Charlene pulled something like that with another royal family or head of state? Whatever Albert would have hoped to achieve on a world stage to make him look like a "player," Charlene could and would destroy all of that.

Protocol or not, CW is and should be mature enough or aware enough (she's been exposed to semi-official and official events) to know how to conduct herself. My sister shares the same birthday as CW and, while their life experiences, are as long and wide as the Nile River, my sister can handle herself in social and professional settings without our mother or her employer telling her how to behave. Just my two cents.

Charlene is not two year or three year to tell how to behave she know how. Even through she was invited to the game she had a right to speak her mind. It call FREEDOM OF SPEECH. France had a bad game so, she felt she had a right to cheer the other team. Who was playing good. But the prime minister don't have to worry Monaco has real bad game sometime. I wonder if Charlene would cheer for the other team if Monaco was playing?

Charlene is not two year or three year to tell how to behave she know how. Even through she was invited to the game she had a right to speak her mind. It call FREEDOM OF SPEECH. France had a bad game so, she felt she had a right to cheer the other team. Who was playing good. But the prime minister don't have to worry Monaco has real bad game sometime. I wonder if Charlene would cheer for the other team if Monaco was playing?

Are you serious goody7058?:ohmy:
It is not a matter of FREDDOM OF SPEECH, it is a matter of GOOD MANNERS.
Charlene was a guest of Sarkozy.

Last edited:
Are you serious goody7058?:ohmy:
It is not a matter of FREDDOM OF SPEECH, it is a matter of GOOD MANNERS.
Charlene was a guest of Sarkozy.
I really don't know if she was Sarko's guest, I know they were both in official box with french president and french prime minister... she had to have good manners nothing else, and she had not. Her mistake is Albert's mistake.
If Albert wants to export her out of Monaco, he should know that his mistress is only a blonde beside him who has to keep quiet.

I really don't know if she was Sarko's guest, I know they were both in official box with french president and french prime minister... she had to have good manners nothing else, and she had not. Her mistake is Albert's mistake.
If Albert wants to export her out of Monaco, he should know that his mistress is only a blonde beside him who has to keep quiet.

Of course I agree with you. :flowers:
When I said she was Sarkozy's guest I meant she was a guest of the French people and Sarkozy represents the French people.
Kings , Princes, Prime Ministers and Presidents are always guests when they go to another country.
Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Of course I agree with you. :flowers:
When I said she was Sarkozy's guest I meant she was a guest of the French people and Sarkozy represents the French people.
Kings , Princes, Prime Ministers and President are always guests when they go to another country.
Am I wrong?

No ,You are correct. Also technically she was Albert's guest so in theory she was a guest of a guest. Even more important for her to show good manners. It does show a lack of common sense. Even if one has not been brought up with the finer elements of diplomacy common sense would dictate in many cases how one is to behave and lacking that, staying quiet would also work.

Just has question. if you were invited in the stand of the French President, to attend a match, would you react as Charlene reacted? Would speak to each other freely face Prime Minister by retorting him" I shall applaud French when they will begin to play " while it already made certain while as the match had begun (because Argentines led the game).
It's as if you were invited by the American President for assist in a match of baseball (Let us take for example the Yankees of NY against the Australian team), you take a French and what she retorts that she will stop of applaud (noisily) the Americans when they will begin to play while the match is begun that the Americans lose this match!! what's your reaction? and if you read an article which related this fact, what's your reaction?
I am not sure that the freedom of speech is the exact definition of Charlene's words..
Charlene is 30 years old, she goes out with albert for 2 years, it seems to me that she has of to learn something since, to behave well in front of leading heads

Precisely -- which is why a many of us have been either scratching our collective heads or beating them against a wall for nearly two years now. Many of us are over laying the blame for the poor behaviour from both of them because Albert is clearly in a position now whereby he can tell Palace protocol officers to mind their own business. Albert probably finds the lack of emphasis on proper behaviour in his female companions "refreshing" and hints at a more private life that he wishes he could live. However, I doubt he realizes that his position and wealth is what allows him to live the playboy lifestyle he cherishes.

I blame no one for Charlene's behaviour but Charlene. She is old enough (at least physically) to have some iota of what is acceptable in certain situations. Apparently her situation with Albert makes her feel that she is above certain things such as manners and respect for another's position which are ironically not very royal behaviour.

Would I like to believe that this incident may the beginning of the end of this relationship, I don't know. It's gotten some play in the mainstream press and regardless of what happens it reflects badly on Albert. Can you imagine what it would happen is Charlene pulled something like that with another royal family or head of state? Whatever Albert would have hoped to achieve on a world stage to make him look like a "player," Charlene could and would destroy all of that.

Pinklady, very well put. All I would say is that there is a difference between being natural and grounded (authentic) or being ill mannered and ignorant. I would think Albert grew up knowing the difference. Apparently most of us did? I think Charlene may act out to get attention, she seems to take on the obnoxious behaviour when she is around mostly men generally? Maybe she is just nervous? Whatever it is she needs to get a hold of herself. I agree she makes Albert look like a fool, and the fact that he doesn't care or recognize it reflects very badly on him. I certainly have a different view of him than I had in the past. I about fell over when I saw him in the stands at Turin, I thought boy this guy is a very slow learner? I think many of us thought he was more of a discreet gentlemen type, at least in public and some of us are just disappointed that it appears in the end he is just really less than interesting?
That's my take anyway?

Pinklady, very well put. All I would say is that there is a difference between being natural and grounded (authentic) or being ill mannered and ignorant. I would think Albert grew up knowing the difference. Apparently most of us did? I think Charlene may act out to get attention, she seems to take on the obnoxious behaviour when she is around mostly men generally? Maybe she is just nervous? Whatever it is she needs to get a hold of herself. I agree she makes Albert look like a fool, and the fact that he doesn't care or recognize it reflects very badly on him. I certainly have a different view of him than I had in the past. I about fell over when I saw him in the stands at Turin, I thought boy this guy is a very slow learner? I think many of us thought he was more of a discreet gentlemen type, at least in public and some of us are just disappointed that it appears in the end he is just really less than interesting?
That's my take anyway?

You might be onto something here! Most of us thought that he was a "discreet gentlemen type", but it turned out he was just afraid of his father while he was still alive. Now that PA is his own boss, it turns out that he is just a "less than interesting". It seems that he never was a distinguished and reserved gentlemen... searching for his soulmate, a special lady whom will not only be his wife but be competent to do the Princess's work as well. As we can see from the last two years PA (poor guy) was just waiting for the old man to be gone, so he could do whatever he wants and date whomever he pleases.
What a surprise! At least he proved to be worthy manipulator!:rolleyes: What a pity!

First thank you for providing an insite of the Charlene offending the French PM affair...I have gathered all my loose ends....

I do agree too, that Charlene didn't act quite politely...It is a head of state he is dating and going out with not just any man, and in company of high ranked officials...it wasn't just any game of rugby was it? And while the game was played in the country of that same PM....:bang:...You can't be that way...

And about Albert beeing a manipulator....maybe to some extent...I think he had and still has a lot of potential and I believed what he said in his inaugural interviews that he would find a woman that would not only be his wife but his companion and share with him all the burdens ( again poor boy) of beeing a Prince...yes, it's hard but he is recently to blame for it...with Charlene, and with some of his actions...She will stay as long as he allows her to so I don't believe she is to be blamed for everything. It's Albert that is behaving immaturely.

First thank you for providing an insite of the Charlene offending the French PM affair...I have gathered all my loose ends....

I do agree too, that Charlene didn't act quite politely...It is a head of state he is dating and going out with not just any man, and in company of high ranked officials...it wasn't just any game of rugby was it? And while the game was played in the country of that same PM....:bang:...You can't be that way...

And about Albert beeing a manipulator....maybe to some extent...I think he had and still has a lot of potential and I believed what he said in his inaugural interviews that he would find a woman that would not only be his wife but his companion and share with him all the burdens ( again poor boy) of beeing a Prince...yes, it's hard but he is recently to blame for it...with Charlene, and with some of his actions...She will stay as long as he allows her to so I don't believe she is to be blamed for everything. It's Albert that is behaving immaturely.

I just hope that CW can learn to be more of a compliment (instead of a distraction) for PA since she's the one who he's been carting around to these functions - public and private.

I still hope she also gets her own act together for her own sake - rather than just exist on whatever PA or his friends care to give to her whatever their reasons. I think she has potential certainly, but for more than just a nice place to hang some clothes. I do hope she decides to finish her schooling at the very least.:flowers:

PA should do better. Sure CW is probably really nice and all and she (apparently) speaks her mind, but it does reflect on Albert and his choices.

Maybe all along he's just been trying to help her out? JMO.

Last edited:
I just had a query about the article in Le Monde regarding Charlene's comment to the French prime minister - who heard her make this comment and was the writer of the article in the box with all the dignitaries?

I am certainly not disputing the article in Le Monde although I don't speak french and Google's translator isn't brilliant so I don't always get a great translation.

Don't take this as support for Charlene as I am reserving my judgement of her and don't have an opinion on her either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom