The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Aristocracy

The more I ponder the situation, the more I am forming the opinion that Prince Albert should just hand the reins over to Princess Caroline now. By pretty much all accounts I've read, she is the sibling that is the intellectual, the strong personality, the "take-charge and get it done" no-nonsense type. It seems that various friends/acquaintances of the family who have been interviewed in books about the Grimaldis find Albert to be a very "sweet" guy, but not a very strong personality. I'm just thinking about the well-being of Monaco now-not whether Albert or Caroline either one actually even wants the job! Even Albert himself has said in interviews that it would be hard to find a wife that could "pass muster" so to speak with Caroline and Stephanie. That makes him sound very agreeable and a "peace-keeper" but not very strong and determined. Not personally knowing any of them, this is all mere conjecture based on books/interviews, etc over the years. I'm sure, like everyone else, all three siblings have their strengths and weaknesses.
I don't think anything Albert does could surprise me much at this point. I guess the proverbial ball is in his court. How he plays it may determine how he is viewed by many for the rest of his life.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very good points Dreed. You know regarding marriage Albert has also said that he has a hard time finding a wife because they will compare her to Grace and his sisters, yet has anyone also wondered that when Andrea or whoever the heir is decides to get married, the future wife will be compared to Grace, Caroline, and even Stephanie? I know it's hard not to compare but the thing is that Grace was a true Princess and like Rainier they did a lot for Monaco that they can hardly be forgotten.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, Princess Grace was THE ultimate princess in my opinion. It would be a very hard act to follow! :)
Old 06-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Indeed and also Rainier is a hard act to follow. You know in the 19th Century Albert I of Monaco was perhaps the greatest Prince Of Monaco of his time, just like Rainier nowadays.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Aristocracy

Very true, Monaco70s. I hope Albert II can be a wonderful ruler as well. It just kinda seems as though Caroline's personality might be closer to that of Rainier from what I've read. It would seem to me that the ruler should be strong-willed and determined and be able to make their own decisions as well as stand by them, and not be shall we say "intimidated" by the opinions of others. Prince Rainier and Princess Caroline both seem to have that strong conviction in oneself that would probably make for a more effective monarch imo. An effective ruler needs to at least "appear" to be strong. I'm sure Albert has many good qualities, I just don't see any evidence of much "strength" there. Only time will tell though!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you dreed777, I still think Albert will do a good job and I'm confident on that. Only time will tell what will happen, especially after July 6...
Old 06-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=dreed777]Well, one of these guys was her cousin supposedly. Personally, I trust my cousins. (Maybe I shouldn't :)) I guess those guys saw a way to possibly make money. Everyone confides in someone. I'm sure Albert had confided in his advisors about this situation. That's what he has them for. I can't imagine being in Nicole's position (whether she "trapped" Albert on purpose or not is actually irrelevant in this instance) and not being supposed to tell ANYONE who my child's father is. How shameful it must have been for her. Maybe I'm just projecting my own feelings on her, but I would have felt horribly rejected and alone. I realize he was the Crown Prince, but there have been other indiscretions in royal families (including this one, I might add) and the daddy's still stepped up to the plate. What if when Princess Caroline or Princess Stephanie had been pregnant and unwed, the fathers had refused to publicly acknowledge their children? We would have been VERY quick to defend the Princesses (I would have anyway) and call the "daddys" irresponsible jerks.
As far as any father saying it needs to be kept quiet just for the child's own welfare...come on. I find it hard to believe that many "mothers" would fall for that line. Even though it may be true in some cases (who would ever know unless the child was raised both ways-quite impossible!) it would be pretty hard to convince me that my child would be better off without the perks that being the child of an important royal ruler would bring. (It's not like he had a wife and kids at home that he wanted to spare.)
The thing that keeps nagging at me the most though is what kind of man with no other children (that we know of) would actually HIDE his only offspring for these years. I cannot fathom not being able to stand up to my parent for my child. I cannot fathom hiding my child. Maybe it's because I could not have children, but the life of a child seems so precious to me that I cannot imagine it not being front and center in importance. And this is a beautiful child. Maybe more truths will come out and we'll find that this is all not as it appears to be. All I know is, IF this IS Albert's child (whether Nicole planned the whole pregnancy or not) and he's known it for 2 years, my opinion of him has gone down a notch I'm sad to say.[/QUOTE]

I have to say this: it is her statement that he was trying to hide this affaire, he did not ever tell her not to tell anyone; he never asked her to keep quiet -- and she openly admits this in the interviews that she gave to the reporters. She and her children have been living in his apartment in Paris and Albert has been taking care of them as well -- giving her money and everything else. She has been able to move about freely and she has been talking to everybody. She says all this openly in her story. What she has demanded to have is alot more than that, she wanted him to tell the whole public of this child. And she makes this declaration in the interviews also -- then she wanted to force him to do it because he want not doing it the way she wanted. This is why she went to the magazines. He was not hiding anything, he just did not make a grand announcement about the boy; so she did it herself.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Aristocracy

Lillia, I didn't realize this was the case. I thought she said she was tired of pretending to be his friend's mistress, etc. But if she was talking to everybody about it and everyone knew and Albert was fine with that as you say, then I'm surprised it took this long for "the world" to find out. If you are correct, it was just a matter of time anyway, so I don't see why he was hurt and felt that she had "betrayed" him. Betrayed him how? If he didn't want her to keep quiet, what's the big deal about all of this anyway?
Actually, if you are correct (and you very well could be-I have no idea) this whole discussion is a moot point. Somebody was bound to go to the press with this, it looks better that it was one of the parents in my opinion-at least there's a possibility that the story printed is correct. It almost makes me see her side MORE knowing that other people knew and could "sell" the story and possibly fabricate parts of it to suit themselves, for her to go ahead and get her side of it out there, so to speak.
I thought this whole discussion was about her not respecting his feelings and her "betraying" him, but he's intelligent enough to know that if they weren't keeping it a big secret, it was gona blow (probably sooner rather than later).
I almost feel like we've all become drawn into disagreeing about this just for argument's sake! My whole point all along was, and still is, there are two sides to the story, we will never know the whole truth, and just because he is a royal doesn't make him perfect and always in the right. AND HE COULD BE IN THE RIGHT HERE, I'm just saying nobody's perfect and wonderful and always handles things in the best way, not even Albert.:)
Old 06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed777
Lillia, I didn't realize this was the case. I thought she said she was tired of pretending to be his friend's mistress, etc. But if she was talking to everybody about it and everyone knew and Albert was fine with that as you say, then I'm surprised it took this long for "the world" to find out. If you are correct, it was just a matter of time anyway, so I don't see why he was hurt and felt that she had "betrayed" him. Betrayed him how? If he didn't want her to keep quiet, what's the big deal about all of this anyway?
Actually, if you are correct (and you very well could be-I have no idea) this whole discussion is a moot point. Somebody was bound to go to the press with this, it looks better that it was one of the parents in my opinion-at least there's a possibility that the story printed is correct. It almost makes me see her side MORE knowing that other people knew and could "sell" the story and possibly fabricate parts of it to suit themselves, for her to go ahead and get her side of it out there, so to speak.
I thought this whole discussion was about her not respecting his feelings and her "betraying" him, but he's intelligent enough to know that if they weren't keeping it a big secret, it was gona blow (probably sooner rather than later).
I almost feel like we've all become drawn into disagreeing about this just for argument's sake! My whole point all along was, and still is, there are two sides to the story, we will never know the whole truth, and just because he is a royal doesn't make him perfect and always in the right. AND HE COULD BE IN THE RIGHT HERE, I'm just saying nobody's perfect and wonderful and always handles things in the best way, not even Albert.:)
I understand what you are saying. but he has not said anything at all about it. The comment about him feeling 'betrayed' was by someone else. He has not spoken on the subject -- the only comment from his side was by his lawyer, and even the laywer has not spoken much except to say that those things that Nicole said do not all correspond to realite. I agree, if what she says is true it was probably going to come out eventually; and you are correct; he is human, and so is she -- but I do feel she is forcing the issue.:o

And anyway, I just read the Paris Match and the spanish papers like others people. I have no inside knowledge of anything...
Old 06-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amina
I've been reading all the posts with interest. The fact is until there is a DNA test we will not know whether or not the child is his. However my main point here is that as ruler of his principality it is about time that Albert settle down and produce a legitimate child. I'm not saying that he should be forced to do something that he doesn't want to. But he is not your joe average public, he is a Prince and that come's with alot of responsibility. I believe that the whole family (the Gramaldi's) will have to sit down and discuss the future.

It seems to me that Albert for whatever reason is unwilling or reluctant to marry and settle down. This means that the future lies with Caroline's son Andrea. He's in his early 20's, but in a few years time if PA still hasn't settled down - he will have to start preparing for his role.

If the baby is Alberts, then there is the question of raising him etc. How will he be prepared for the throne? Can a illegitimate child sit on any throne of any country for that matter? For me this would not be a problem, but obviously it would require a change in Monaco's constitution.
I could be wrong, but my impression of this is that whether or not Albert has legitimate children has no bearing on Alexandre and his association with the throne. As the law stands, the only way he has a chance at the throne is if his parents were to marry, therefore making him legitimate (I wouldn't bet on those odds).

Second, it's not necessary for Albert to have an heir. As far as sucession goes, it's already assured with Caroline as heir presumptive and Andrea close behind. Why should the constitution be changed? Any illegitimate children Albert has, as crass as this sounds, have no claim to the throne if they remain illegitimate. Succession is not an issue in Monaco.

Okay, here's a hypothetical situation. Let's say Alexandre is Albert's son and Albert acknowledges him and financially supports him...Then what? Again, as bad as this sounds, realistically speaking, financial support and acknowledgement is all that Nicole would ever get from Albert (that's my suspicion). Frankly, I don't trust her motives. I think she's trying to force his hand and is using Alexandre as a means. Cruel, but not unheard of.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. An really, if Albert never gives public acknowledgement but only financial support and other types of help for whatever reason, that child (his or not) will be far better supported than many, many children (and adults) in this world anyway.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Nobility

Aloha, just thought I would throw in an opinion and ask if anyone thinks I'm on the money, or dead broke......I think a man of Albert's age and position has probably already got a wife all picked out. I just suspect he has been waiting for his father to pass and the mourning to end so he can make an announcement. I also strongly suspect NC knows she is not it, which goes to the timing of her "outing". Hell hath no fury like a women scorned.......all opinions aside look what Princess Diana did to damage Charles. (Justified or not) I have not read this anywhere I have no facts or quotes or "insider scoop" to back it. But I seriously believe PA is already way into another woman...who knows who.....
Old 06-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, this is almost a pressure cooker for him. He needs to dig deep inside himself and ask himself if he allowed love to go by him(which I think, he let the woman he loves get away, but thats my opinion) or he is looking in the wrong place completely.

Albert needs to decide what the importance of having his own flesh-in-blood heir is to him. If its not, he can pass the "baton" on to Caroline when the time comes.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Courtier

Albert will do what is best for his country as well as for himself. Obviously, he's not rushing into marriage, due to whatever reason (he's actually waiting for me, but that's another story for another time :) ). Let's be real here for a moment; it has always been known that his father had his mistress(es), supposedly, it was rumoured that his mother had a lover or two. His sister Stephanie's love life/marriages are horrible. Caroline, who now is the pillar of society, which is quite amusing in many circles that she revolves around (pun), had a horrible first marriage, was pregnant but truly in love with her second husband, and probably would still be married to him if he hadn't died; and took her 3rd husband from her best friend (and was pregnant at the time). His father's family wasn't known for marrying before having children; his mother's father was rumoured to have his women on the side.

What role models did he have? I will say this now, and I will continually say it again, Prince Albert behaved better than most people of his class, would had behaved. Nicole has shown her true nature. Albert was caring and generous to her and ALL OF HER CHILDREN! Give the man a break. He isn't the first, nor will he be the last.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Nobility

"Albert and Claudia were only friends she had a boyfriend as he had gf's people weren't seeing. Michael Powers is one of his best friends and made a statement once that Albert's true girlfriends you don't hear about. Many are show while his true relationships are hidden. Someone made a statement in one of the posts which I don't recall at the moment. Sharon Stone was the person in question who was kidding about asking him to marry her. He had a date for the Princess Graces Awards last year who was a black model who he put his arm around and said he already had a date because its in poor taste to tease about such things while a date is standing beside the person."This is a blurb of gossip I picked up on another Royal watcher web site and it confussed me. Who is the black model? Does anybody know?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Serene Highness

i too think that ablert has a women in mind but is just waiting for the right time. it wouldnt surpise me if he marrys very soon, imo.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Courtier

If he was allowed to marry the woman he wanted to when he was twenty something, (she was black also), we would not be having these conversations now. I am glad that society has progressed, more so in the European Countries than here in the states, but we're getting there, about interracial marriages. I commend him!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Courtier

I say this to lighten the mood.

When Albert and I marry, I am having all of my Royal Forum Comrades, esp. Lady MacAlpine and Dennism at my reception. We will show royalty how royalty should act!

Long live the Royal Forums!!!:)
Old 06-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Nobility

Michelleq...I hope you don't think I was being racist asking about the "black model", I do not really care if she's purple, I was just curious who she was...LOL
Old 06-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Courtier

No darling, not at all! You identified her perfectly. I am not "Color Sensitive" and there is only one race, the Human Race.
Now, we do have some questionable facsimiles walking about, but we'll let that go.

I'm going now because I'm tired and starting to get a tad bit silly!

Good night everyone!