HSH Prince Albert Current Events 3 : Jan.2005 - Apr.2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Josefine said:
were does albert live
does he hvae a apartment in the castle where prince Rainier lived
Yes, he lives in the same apartments he grew up in. There is a photo of the living room in another thread but at the moment I don't recall which one. He also has an apartment in town when he wants to be alone and entertain guests. The thread is The Palais De Monaco.

Last edited:
I'm sure that the new Prince Albert II will be an exelent prince different as Rainier of course but always a nice prince ..... he had so many quality....

H.S.H. Prince Albert II

Prince Albert Is Heir to Monaco's Throne
By THIERRY BOINET, AP

MONACO (AP) - Monaco's new ruler, Prince Albert II, is a confirmed bachelor who has caused consternation with his refusal to wed and produce heirs. He is not opposed to marriage, the 47-year-old has said, he just doesn't "want to make a mistake."
Of the three royal children, Albert, an only son groomed for decades to reign, mirrors the dignified reserve that characterized Prince Rainier III. But, with his devotion to sports and world travel, Albert also embodies the fruits of the good life carved out by his father from this Mediterranean rock, a glitzy principality run by his family, the Grimaldis, for seven centuries.

The American-educated Albert took over royal powers - but not the throne - a week ago after a royal commission decided the critically ill Rainier could no longer rule. Albert automatically stepped into the role of His Serene Highness upon his father's death Wednesday of heart, kidney and respiratory problems.

The date of his formal investiture was not immediately known.

Shy, overshadowed by his father and long considered a reluctant heir, the bachelor prince is the son of Rainier and Hollywood actress Grace Kelly, whose 1956 marriage propelled tiny Monaco into the realm of fairy tale. Princess Grace died in a car crash in 1982.

Albert Alexandre Louis Pierre, Marquis of Baux, is well-traveled, multilingual and, in recent years, has been Monaco's top ambassador.

A sports enthusiast and passionate bobsledder, he participated with his team in the last five Winter Olympics and has headed Monaco's Olympic Committee since 1994. He is also a judo enthusiast and a passionate soccer player, founding a Monaco team, the Barbagiuans.

But the retiring Albert has remained unmarried and childless, eliciting no more than rumors about which of the young beauties who haunt this Riviera enclave might catch his interest.

"I never said that I would never marry and that I didn't want children," he was quoted as saying in the French press in 2001. "On the contrary, I would like to experience that form of happiness. But I don't want to make a mistake."

Such caution has drawn consternation and, at one point, piqued his father sufficiently to comment publicly.

"Prince Albert possesses all the qualities to one day become the next sovereign prince," Rainier told the French daily Le Figaro in an interview published in October 2000. "But first I want him to have descendants because this is essential for the future of the principality and that of our family."

Concern for the continuation of the Grimaldi dynasty led to a constitutional revision in 2002 to circumvent the problem posed by Albert's lack of heirs.

According to Article 10, next in line would be Princess Caroline, now 48 and the eldest of Albert's two sisters. She, in turn, would be succeeded by her oldest son, Andrea Albert Pierre, now 20.

Born March 14, 1958, Albert has been in training for his new job as ruler since the cradle, where, at the tender age of 1 month, he was bestowed with the Grand-Cross of the Grimaldi Order.

His formal training began in 1986, when he was seriously initiated into the arcane business of ruling the principality. Some have wondered whether Albert really wanted the job, but his high-profile official travels have shown otherwise.

"I am convinced that, in your place, the kingdom of Monaco will find in Albert a worthy successor to Rainier," Russian President Vladimir Putin wrote in a message of condolences.

Albert studied in the United States, at Amherst College in Massachusetts, after receiving his high school baccalaureate diploma in 1976. He returned home in 1981 after being awarded a degree in political science.

From September 1981 until April 1982, he had a special tour with the French Marines, sailing around the world aboard the "Jeanne d'Arc." He later trained in financial administration with Morgan Guaranty Trust, in New York, then with the Champagne house Moet-Hennessy, in Paris.

All the while, Albert learned languages, and today speaks Italian, German and Spanish, along with English and French.

Interested in humanitarian and social affairs, Albert became president of Monaco's Red Cross in 1982, the year of his mother's death in a car accident. He was later named vice president of the Princess Grace Foundation, which awards scholarships for young talents in the arts.

Despite the innate pressures of royalty, Albert has remained doggedly his own person and, despite his retiring nature, increasingly assumed the role as Monaco's public face as his father grew frail.

He has been president of Monaco's delegation to the U.N. General Assembly ever since the principality was admitted to the United Nations in 1993. Albert has traveled to numerous countries on official visits and defended Monaco's bid to join the Council of Europe, which it did last year.

Way too much talk about Albert producing an heir when he is still coping with the passing of this dear father. I realise that the media will continue to speculate until and unless he marries. Even after that happens, the press will pressure his wife to get pregnant soon, and produce a male heir (ideally). If no male heir, more pressure for one. Royalty is indeed a very public life however guarded some things are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom