The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Nobility

From Agence France Presse weekly political calendar press release, Prince Albert will be meeting President Sarkozy this Wednesday.

Quote:
Voici le calendrier des principaux événements politiques pour la semaine du lundi 16 au dimanche 22 juillet :
MERCREDI 18 JUILLET
-------------------

Elysée:

- 16H00 - Nicolas Sarkozy reçoit le prince Albert de Monaco
Also, the first philharmonic concert at the Palace is tonight. Didn’t last year Albert, Charlene, Caroline, and her kids attended this event? Wasn’t there a special recognition because of Charlotte’s birthday? It will be interesting to see if the family attend this year.

Quote:
Premier concert d'été au Palais Princier dimanche soir
C’est un endroit unique où apprécier la musique classique en été… La cour d’honneur du Palais Princier se transforme dimanche soir en salle de spectacles à ciel ouvert pour l’Orchestre Philarmonique de Monte Carlo. Premier des cinq rendez-vous, dimanche soir, à 21h30, où les musiciens joueront Strauss, Mozart et Dvorak.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Serene Highness

There are several concerts during the summer in the palace. Last years was the one briefly befor red cross which they attended together which happened to be on Charlottes birthday and the philharmonics played happy birthday. While Charlottes boyfriend was seated below their box, Charlene was in the back of the box. Already odd way of handling protocol as Charlenes place would have been down with Felix. Anyways that was the only concert that any of the family attended. Rainier used to be more frequently present. That's one reason people were attracted to it. But then again, last year Albert was hardly here. Maybe this year will be different as he seems to have decided that he needs to be closer to home or that he has opened plenty of embassies to last for a while.....

Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Nobility

Here are some three current events of Prince Albert.

1. French President Nicolas Sarkozy meets Prince Albert of Monaco at the Elysee Palace, France, 18 July 2007.
Prince Albert & President Sarkozy
Prince Albert

Here is another nice picture of Albert’s visit with Sarkozy and a gallery of pictures from Isifa.

(I think Albert looks much better with his hair shaven as close as it is. He should keep it cut this short. )

2. Foundation Albert II signed a partnership to support biocarburant on Monday Jul 16 in the Grimaldi Forum
The Foundation Albert II, with L’initiative of the Sovereign, his president, organized at the beginning of week a conference discusses on the topic of the biocarburants, in Grimaldi Forum. With L’exit, a partnership was signed with the Regional Room of Champagne-Ardenne Agriculture to support a project of creation of biocarburant baptized Lidea. Picture

3. Monaco accredits two more foreign powers

Austria thus becomes the twenty fourth foreign power accredited to the Principality of Monaco. In the early morning of Tuesday 17th July in the Prince’s Palace, the official ceremony took place in which H.E. Mr Hubert Heiss, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Austria handed over his letters of credence to the Principality of Monaco.
Prince Albert & Ambassador Heiss and Press release

Japan thus becomes the twenty fifth foreign power accredited to the Principality of Monaco. In the late morning of Tuesday 17th July in the Prince’s Palace, the official ceremony took place in which H.E. Mr Yutaka Iimura, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan handed over his letters of credence to the Principality of Monaco.
Prince Albert and Ambassador Iimura and Press release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine View Post
They should give the palace photographer a new camera and/or a short course in proper digital picture resizing. Those pics are awful!
It seems the pictures from the press release listed on their website are purposely blurred. When the press release is reported in Monaco Telecom or Le Petit Journal, they are much better. Here are the two pictures again, but much better.

Prince Albert & Mr. Munguia, the Ambassador for El Salvador
Prince Albert & Mrs. Cremona, the Ambassador for Malta
Old 07-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

My Adia, thanks again for the info. The guy in the second pic at the signature is Philip Deslandes who is now prefect of Champagne-Ardenne. He was the one who actually dared to criticize Albert after his first appearance with Charlene briefly after the Olympics. I knew that I knew the face . At least Albert doesn't seem to be carrying grudges .
Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca View Post
My Adia, thanks again for the info. The guy in the second pic at the signature is Philip Deslandes who is now prefect of Champagne-Ardenne. He was the one who actually dared to criticize Albert after his first appearance with Charlene briefly after the Olympics. I knew that I knew the face . At least Albert doesn't seem to be carrying grudges .
Here’s an article of the signing proceding and here’s a video of Albert attending the conference (from the right side under date 17 julliet, select SIGNATURE CONVENTION.wmv if it doesn’t play automatically).

I remember that discussion when you posted Deslandes' interview. Although he didn’t mention Charlene’s name directly in his interview, it was clear to some of us that he was taking a jab at Albert in his comments about the difference in Albert’s work ethic from his father. While he did acknowledge that he understood that Albert had to fulfil his Olympic obligations, it probably didn’t look well back home when everyone saw the headlines of Albert with this young blond fawning all over him for days in the stadium and read her comments about Turin is a great place for a "lover’s holiday." I bet Albert's IOC obligations didn’t look quite like work after those headlines. Also, I remembered Deslandes' comment that his greatest accomplishment was the high educational attainment of Monegasques. This year Monaco had another high success rate on its BAC exams. Here’s an excerpt from the government’s website about the results that was reported on July 9th.

Quote:
Excellent Baccalaureate results for Monegasque students

As in most years, the pass rate for the baccalaureate is close to 100% in the Principality.

This year Monegasque students obtained excellent Baccalaureate results. The pass rate at the Albert I school was 98.1%, while at the François d’Assise Nicolas Barré it reached 100%, showing how education in Monaco is one of the best in the region, even in France.

Furthermore, the proportion of passes with distinction is up this year. From a total 251 students taking the exam (counting all subjects and schools), the Albert I school had 112 distinctions (out of 162 passes) including 9 “very good” (4 in sciences, 3 in economics and social studies and 2 in literature). As far as the François d’Assise Nicolas Barré school is concerned, 19 distinctions (out of 47 passes), there were 18 “quite good”, 1 “good” and no ”very good”.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Aristocracy

MyAdia i have to add that 2007 is the best year in France for Bac results, it's the same in Monaco I presume
Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
can one find what in known as Delandes in connection with Charlene, on the Net?
I would like much to read it, Thanks for the answer

lckc571
Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckc571 View Post
can one find what in known as Delandes in connection with Charlene, on the Net?
I would like much to read it, Thanks for the answer

lckc571
Lckc571, Deslandes' interview is in this post. The discussion started in post #6 in the "Prince Albert Achievements" thread. It was a noble idea to start such a thread, unfortnately the thread is very short and got off track. Maybe we can resurrect it. So, you can start reading from that post, just click on the thread title at the top right hand corner once you read the post.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAdia View Post
Lckc571, Deslandes' interview is in this post. The discussion started in post #6 in the "Prince Albert Achievements" thread. It was a noble idea to start such a thread, unfortnately the thread is very short and got off track. Maybe we can resurrect it. So, you can start reading from that post, just click on the thread title at the top right hand corner once you read the post.
Thanks MyAdia, I had not read this wire, is necessary to say that there is so much!!! Thank you, much
lckc571
Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good at least he is still taking his role as Ruler of Monaco seriously. Its good to hear news about Albert doing something good and productive for his country.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

Here is another article I found. It is also a little older but concerns a few people who keep poping up in important functions (or have been) in Monaco. This might also explain why Albert, inspite of some of them (like Biancheri) being entangled in not so kosher affairs, keeps hanging on to them. La diaspora business du nouveau Monaco
Old 07-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Here is another article I found. It is also a little older but concerns a few people who keep poping up in important functions (or have been) in Monaco. This might also explain why Albert, inspite of some of them (like Biancheri) being entangled in not so kosher affairs, keeps hanging on to them. La diaspora business du nouveau Monaco
yes, little older, Mr Allavena is gone... (nov. 2006?) but thanks...
Old 07-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Serene Highness

Todays paper has a long and I mean very long message from Albert to the Monegasque. You can read it in Monaco matin or here Monaco.maville.com - Albert II : «La prospérité de Monaco ne peut se gagner sans efforts»

I haven't read it yet, so can't comment. But Yesterday Angela Merkkel did the same after her first 2 years as chancelor, only an hour later the opposition gave their point of view on the matter which was a little different from her picture.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Todays paper has a long and I mean very long message from Albert to the Monegasque. You can read it in Monaco matin or here Monaco.maville.com - Albert II : «La prospérité de Monaco ne peut se gagner sans efforts»

I haven't read it yet, so can't comment. But Yesterday Angela Merkkel did the same after her first 2 years as chancelor, only an hour later the opposition gave their point of view on the matter which was a little different from her picture.
Paca, thanks for the article! It should be interesting to read, especially with everything that’s happening right now in Monaco’s government. However, the link that you provided is the second part of the article, which continues with Albert speech. One should first read the beginning of the article on page 7. Here’s the link. The beginning has a commentary from Hervé Mari and the beginning of Albert’s speech. Also here's a site with translating software.

Also, last night Albert attended a celebration in honor of Henri Salvador’s 90th birthday.

Henri Salvador fete ses 90 ans en compagnie du Prince Albert de Monaco et de Yves Piaget sur la scene de la Salle des Etoiles au Sporting Club de Monaco. Monte-Carlo,

Here’s a gallery of pictures from Isifa
Old 07-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Serene Highness

yes you are right, the link was only the second page but you get easily to the first part from there.

I heard and saw the fireworks for Henri Salvador yesterday. It would have surprised me if he didn't go. He has known him for a very longtime. I believe he was friendly with Rainier. There will be anotherone tonight I believe and todays paper says that he might retire from stage, but that is just a rumour and someone performing at this age will probably perform till his last breath IMO. Only major healthproblems can keep that type of personality home and he looks to me quite well considering. Reminds me a bit of those guys from Buena Vista social club...must be the type of music they are playing that keeps them in shape...

There is also on Monaco info a status quo. Plus a video with Henri Salvador.Centre de Presse

It seems that some people are under the impression that the message was delivered in a different country. To my knowledge and understanding that was not the case. Yes he went yesterday to visit Sarkozy, who is expected to return the favour, but he did not give a speech. They simply talked for about 40 minutes. Rainier often had messages published in the paper. Since most locals read the paper but not necessarily watch TMC or the info channel, it is the best way to reach the people. It's Monaco and things are done differently here. But if you read carefully, you can tell a little what is going on behind the scenes. It also seems as if he is a little shocked by what has been going on back home while he was circling te globe. Maybe a reason why he is mostly close by in recent months...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
There is also on Monaco info a status quo. Plus a video with Henri Salvador.Centre de Presse

It seems that some people are under the impression that the message was delivered in a different country. To my knowledge and understanding that was not the case. Yes he went yesterday to visit Sarkozy, who is expected to return the favour, but he did not give a speech. They simply talked for about 40 minutes. Rainier often had messages published in the paper. Since most locals read the paper but not necessarily watch TMC or the info channel, it is the best way to reach the people. It's Monaco and things are done differently here. But if you read carefully, you can tell a little what is going on behind the scenes. It also seems as if he is a little shocked by what has been going on back home while he was circling te globe. Maybe a reason why he is mostly close by in recent months...
As far i know, in south of france, it's the same... People read local paper....
I hope you are right, I often wrote about his job and taking decisions...
Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pic 19.7.2007

Monaco's Oceanographic Museum aquarium head Pierre Gilles (R) shows his assistant Nadia Ounais (2ndR), Prince Albert II of Monaco (L) and French sailor Maud Fontenoy (2ndL), Igor, a sea turtle, 19 July 2007 at Monaco's harbor. Maud Fontenoy put back Igor to the sea after it was discovered last 5 June in Monaco's harbor and took a rest during one month and a half. AFP PHOTO ERIC ESTRADE

--> Pic
Old 07-20-2007, 05:39 AM
Nobility

Here are more pictures of Prince Albert liberating Igor, the sea turtle from Foto S.A. gallery.

Here’s a short story about Igor from online Monaco Times:
Quote:
Happy end for Monaco turtle
Prince Albert II waves Igor goodbye as he returns to the ocean

Monaco's smallest and wettest celebrity made a big splash yesterday, as he left town in style to return home. Igor the tortoise become famous a few weeks ago when he was found in the port, but now he's back in his natural environment. The caouanne turtle (the species most commonly found in the Mediterranean sea) was glimpsed by a fisherman in the port this June, and immediately taken into the care of the Principality’s Oceanographic Museum.
Pampered by the team at the museum for more than a month and a half, Igor is now home thanks to Maud Fontenoy who was one of Igor's most eager carers. Prince Albert II, an enthusiastic conservationist, made sure he was there to wish the small survivor good luck.

Seven miles off the coast, Ms Fontenoy and a team of divers released Igor back into the ocean, and reported that as soon as he hit the water he was off – they didn’t even have time to take a photo.
Here are non-watermarked pictures of the celebration in honor of Henri Salavador. Pic1, Pic2, Pic3, Pic4, Pic5. I really like these pictures because of Prince Albert and Henri's expressions and laughter (Pic6, Pic7, Pic8).

Also, here's a Deadline gallery of more pictures (click on the magnifying glass twice to maximize photo).
Old 07-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Serene Highness

Another news (there might be some pics): Albert has visited the incinerator. There is a huge article in todays paper. Part of it can be found here Monaco.maville.com - Le prince Albert II visite l'usine de retraitement des déchets

In the paper there is sth about a petition to close it and another article about it.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Another news (there might be some pics): Albert has visited the incinerator. There is a huge article in todays paper. Part of it can be found here Monaco.maville.com - Le prince Albert II visite l'usine de retraitement des déchets

In the paper there is sth about a petition to close it and another article about it.
In addition, here's a link to a video of Albert's visit to the incinerator. If it doesn't come up automatically, select from the actualities tab, the movie VISITE USINE SMA.wmv under date 19 juillet.