HSH Prince Albert Current Events 22 : April 2007 - July 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he was there (he droped Charlene off I think). There was some event that he attended there and he looked at some landwining project.

I think the problem that keeps Dubai in a different league to Monaco is the fact that it is islamic. Thus it will draw many rich arabs and curious western people, but the western people might still be more inclined to spend their money in other places. I think Liechtenstein is more of a competition, but it does lack the glamour and fun factor. Plus it lacks the beach. You can't ankor an expensive yacht in Liechtenstein. A lot of newly rich are about showing it all. A place where you can't show it has little interest for them. Liechtenstein is too discreet in that matter. A good place to park the cash, but not a good one to show it. And the reigning royals are not particularly glitzy or media attractive either. When was the last time they made headlines and drew attention to their country? Sure they have other ways, but their discreet ways make all the difference about how the country is perceived.

Thanks for the info on Dubai paca. Your points are well taken. I do think Monaco might end up being a seasonal watering hole while Liechtenstein could end up the winter one. Dubai may deter some westerners but I don't think it will deter the wealthy Russians. I also think if the "serious" money has a vote of no confidence in Albert they will find a safer place to put it and my bets would still be on Liechtenstein for that. JMO

As far i know the late opinion pol was about public administration.
Yes that was about their performance. It was the first that I remember. It's sth that Proust thought out and he is also responsible for making changes in the way things are done to make it easier for people. He is very much into internet and thus having easy access to forms or basic information. When you have a question you can mail it and you get an answer relatively quickly. Saves a lot of waiting time. There is still alot they can do. especially with health insurance. I'm used to the German syste, were you hand in your card and the insurance and the doctor handle things between them. Here I have to do everything and advance money. In Germany I only had to pay whatever wasn't covered by the insurance or mutual. And that was usually only when it came to extra dental work. Everything else was covered (I don't wear glasses, but I believe there depending on your choice you had to pay as well). A lot easier for the insured.

My firends in Monaco were "happy" when Albert became Albert II now they are wondering about current affairs here and about what is going to happen.
yes, he raised a lot of hopes and destroyed them just as quickly. His first 6months were fine and full of new ideas and action. After that it went downhill and he lost interest. I wonder why? Ok there might have been some difficulty in convincing people of his ideas, but instead of walking off and sulking while touring the globe with his mistress and partying like he did when Daddy wouldn't give him a go, is not the way to do it. Perseverance is the word and that is a quality he seems to lack. I like the French word "tenace". That's what he should have been. And just continue on his way. Instead he walks out like a spoilt little brat. Thomas mann had a nice expression in Death in Venice: decaying suckling (he used it to describe one of the characters), I am sorry to say Albert in behaviour and looks tends to more and more fit that description. I don't know how he could turn things around now, but I suppose he would have to get rid off everyone who thought that he wasn't interested in running the show and also stop the parading with Charlene ad party hopping. He would have to be more selective in the events he attends and not go to every little bit. It has to be extraordinary when he is present and have a meaning. His presence at the opening of zenzen or shops like habitat, ichtys or Nike is making his presence inflational. To things like that he needs to send either one of his helps like Rainier did with Lamblin or make use of Melanie, Elizabeth-Anne or his sisters and their children. He should only show to the most important events that he wants to stand out. not go whenever one of his friends launches a new project. He should make sure that people know that he has more important matters to tend to and it should be felt that he is actually governing. That is also why he needs his sisters in the future, because also his wife should be selective where she shows, but also might have to take care of young children, whereas his sisters children are grown. So if they all get on reasonably well and they all kow that they are important and valued, Monaco might get a lot more out of its family. Neither sister has shown that they are not interested. Quite on the contrary. But Abert has to be clear on where everyone stands and most importantly how he wants to stand himself.

Pic 4.7.2007

Monaco's Prince Albert II listens to a presentation, 04 July 2007, during the presentation of the cities as possible venue to the 2014 Winter Olympics Games, at the 119th International Olympic Committee session in Guatemala City. Sochi (Russia), Salzburg (Austria) and PyeongChang (South Korea) are the candidates. EPA/Carlos Barria / Pool

---> Pic

Monaco's Prince Albert II listens to a presentation, 04 July 2007, during the presentation of the cities as possible venue to the 2014 Winter Olympics Games, at the 119th International Olympic Committee session in Guatemala City. Sochi (Russia), Salzburg (Austria) and PyeongChang (South Korea) are the candidates. EPA/Carlos Barria / Pool

---> Pic
I put my bets on Russia. Salzburg is too close to Turin and next years Olympics will already be in Asia. It's been a while that they were in Russia.

Hi Lillia,
Thanks for that.I saw Athina Onassis and Doda her equestrian husband there in that video in Monaco.I wonder if Athina knows her grandad once owned the place lock stock and barrel? And then Charlene walking into that venue with the black dress with sequins? All kinds of very interesting things . Thank you so very much.

you are most welcome!

there are some more little videos in the paper :)

start of Small States Games: (CW knows the camera is looking at her, imo)
Monaco Revue -- The celebrity and lifestyle magazine with purpose

end of Small States Games:

Albert looks comfortable like he's having fun, but the pictures of him with CW sorta remind me a little bit something like "boss man and doll baby" (no offense intended). :lol: Not sure why...:flowers:

the performances with the dancers and those red baloon things looked like they would have been so much fun to see in person

JMO:monacoflag:

Last edited:
you are most welcome!

there are some more little videos in the paper :)

start of Small States Games: (CW knows the camera is looking at her, imo)

end of Small States Games:

Albert looks comfortable like he's having fun, but the pictures of him with CW sorta remind me a little bit something like "boss man and doll baby" (no offense intended). :lol:

Not sure why...:flowers:

JMO:monacoflag:

saw at the end, nobody did not really look at CW and Albert to leave, the faces of public were turned right in front
lckc571

he made it into another tabloid: German Gala has the pics from last Saturday in white, obviously alluding to another white event:rolleyes:

I have not seen that magazine yet, but that conclusion could already have been expected, paca ;):)

Here are two more pics from yesterday, especially the first one is an interesting shot:
Austria's Prime Minister Alfred Gusenbauer (2nd, R) and delegates of the Austrian Olympic Committee listen to questions from Prince Albert (on the screen) during the presentation of the Austrian city of Salzburg at the 119th International Olympic Committee session, 04 July, 2007 in Guatemala City. AFP PHOTO/Pablo Porciuncula

Albert 1
Albert 2

Looks like I got my bet right: Sotchi it will be. Classic decision that was to be expected. No need to know the concept or the fine tunes of the propositions. That meeting was merely show for the world.

I just read a few athletes comments and they weren't too happy about the choice. I wonder what would happen if the votes were without mentioning of the country and city and the comittee would only judge the concept etc. I suppose that would give countries that are politically less influential a chance too. All this string pulling and political juggling is not good for the spirit of the sports. And as long as the comitte is guided by politics, they will not be able to pass judgement over athletes who are guided by money in their decisions.

Last edited:
Frau im Spiegel has an article prince Albert in Leute Royal. But it could also be refering to ALbert Thurn und Taxis. Maybe someone can check the print version and see whether there is anything new (which I doubt)

Looks like I got my bet right: Sotchi it will be. Classic decision that was to be expected. No need to know the concept or the fine tunes of the propositions. That meeting was merely show for the world.

I just read a few athletes comments and they weren't too happy about the choice. I wonder what would happen if the votes were without mentioning of the country and city and the comittee would only judge the concept etc. I suppose that would give countries that are politically less influential a chance too. All this string pulling and political juggling is not good for the spirit of the sports. And as long as the comitte is guided by politics, they will not be able to pass judgement over athletes who are guided by money in their decisions.

Do we know how the votes were cast? and who the runner up city was? I keep wondering about Albert and the Russians as there are many super weathy ones that are flocking to Monaco. You have summed up the Olympics pretty well paca at this point they should just leave them in Greece which I am beginning to think would at least cut out some of the politics, or maybe not but it isn't our Grandfather's Olympics that's for sure.
I like your idea about leaving the city and country out of the process and judging the venue's on their merit. It would make it more fair.

Salzburg lost in the first round of voting, in the second round Sochi won with four votes more than Pyong Yang (spelling is optional:lol:).
Here are two more pics from yesterday, especially the first one is an interesting shot:
Austria's Prime Minister Alfred Gusenbauer (2nd, R) and delegates of the Austrian Olympic Committee listen to questions from Prince Albert (on the screen) during the presentation of the Austrian city of Salzburg at the 119th International Olympic Committee session, 04 July, 2007 in Guatemala City. AFP PHOTO/Pablo Porciuncula
I find it funny that they always refer to Albert as Albert de Monaco/Albert of Monaco. As if "of Monaco" is his last name instead of a job description. I would expect something like H.S.H. Albert Grimaldi or something. :wub: You know, the dude really has a last name...

Salzburg lost in the first round of voting, in the second round Sochi won with four votes more than Pyong Yang (spelling is optional:lol:).
I find it funny that they always refer to Albert as Albert de Monaco/Albert of Monaco. As if "of Monaco" is his last name instead of a job description. I would expect something like H.S.H. Albert Grimaldi or something. :wub: You know, the dude really has a last name...
But the queen is also referred to as the queen or the queen of England and not Windsor. Albert also signs that way.

Btw Sochi is also quite disputed because appearantly a nature reserve is threatened by the Olympic sites. But it is money and politics that makes the olympics nowadays. I'd really love to see all this lobbying disappear. They should just get the concepts and decide on that and not on how much money a government is willing to invest. People still talk about the magic of Lillehammer. It was environmentally friendly without loudly proclaiming it and it didn't cost much as already existing sites were mostly used. And especially athletes were content. ANd it is about them in the first place isn't it? But people always forget about them. During the boycotts there weren't any athletes competing, but the officials were all present. For many athletes the boycotts meant the end of their hopes to participate or to actually compete against the best as some of the best weren't there. Sth went terribly wrong in the history of the Olympics and it didn't start yesterday. It seems that since their abuse in Berlin they have never recovered from being abused.

Pa & the Olympics in Greece

Do we know how the votes were cast? and who the runner up city was? I keep wondering about Albert and the Russians as there are many super weathy ones that are flocking to Monaco. You have summed up the Olympics pretty well paca at this point they should just leave them in Greece which I am beginning to think would at least cut out some of the politics, or maybe not but it isn't our Grandfather's Olympics that's for sure.
I like your idea about leaving the city and country out of the process and judging the venue's on their merit. It would make it more fair.
I would have thought that PA the enlightened "green" prince would have thought about the importance of the Olympic games returning to Greece permamently as has been the movement throughout the masses and top ranking members of the intelligentsia.Leaving the Olympics games in Greece where they rightfully belong would indeed cut out politics.And they could do events from the original historicallly based games and not solely sport from the Modern ones.
I think the benefits outweigh all else in leaving the Olympics back in Greece and I would have thought a progressive Prince such as Albert would have thought of this and spoken for the ethical purpose.
Where is the passionate spirit of Maria Callas when you need it to repudiate by saying:
" No flame no Olympic game"
For me that day cometh.The readiness is all.
Wasn't it Prince Albert quoting the Nobel laureate George Seferis who said
"No matter where I travel Greece wounds me still?"

Pic 5.7.2007

Prince Albert II (R) of Monaco arrives at the 119th International Olympic Committee Session, on July 5th, 2007 in
Guatemala City. The Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi was chosen yesterday by the IOC to host the 2014
Winter Olympics. AFP PHOTO/Orlando Sierra

----> Pic :flowers:

Prince Albert II (R) of Monaco arrives at the 119th International Olympic Committee Session, on July 5th, 2007 in
Guatemala City. The Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi was chosen yesterday by the IOC to host the 2014
Winter Olympics. AFP PHOTO/Orlando Sierra

----> Pic :flowers:
Why does Albert always look so good and happy whenever Charlene isn't around? :wub:He is positively radiant on this pic. He can't be pregnant can he? :lol:

Why does Albert always look so good and happy whenever Charlene isn't around? :wub:He is positively radiant on this pic. He can't be pregnant can he? :lol:

To your first question,let me guess.....relieved?...:rolleyes:

He probably looks as you say he does as he too was re-elected for another 8 year term as a Member of the International Olympic Committee yesterday.Think he has been pregnant with expectation,for that.
:flowers:

I would have thought that PA the enlightened "green" prince would have thought about the importance of the Olympic games returning to Greece permamently as has been the movement throughout the masses and top ranking members of the intelligentsia.Leaving the Olympics games in Greece where they rightfully belong would indeed cut out politics.And they could do events from the original historicallly based games and not solely sport from the Modern ones.
I think the benefits outweigh all else in leaving the Olympics back in Greece and I would have thought a progressive Prince such as Albert would have thought of this and spoken for the ethical purpose.
Where is the passionate spirit of Maria Callas when you need it to repudiate by saying:
" No flame no Olympic game"
For me that day cometh.The readiness is all.
Wasn't it Prince Albert quoting the Nobel laureate George Seferis who said
"No matter where I travel Greece wounds me still?"
Jaya, if they'd go back to the roots, most athletes couldn't compete as they would have needed to speak Greek. Also you had to be free, thus I should think that athletes from totalitarian countries would be excluded too, as they aren''t free. I wouldn't call a country which doesn't allow all it's citizens to travel freely free and yet the next Olympics will be held there. Often enough athletes have been permitted in order to strengthen those forces that were more peaceful and when you take a look at the cold war years the states and Russia were having their "war" during the Olympics trying to win the most medals at all costs on the back of their athletes health. Then again I supposed that most people prefer some doped athletes to nuked children...

There was apparently also part of the oath that states that you have been training for 10 month (Charlene might be running into some trouble there if they'd reintroduce that) and of course only men could compete. The competition was held naked as it was a celebration of the achievements of the human body (maybe also so that you couldn't get rid of a competitor in a dishonourable way?), whereas today it is a celebration of the various sponsors (Nike would be too happy if they'd erect a statue in their name, though I suppose in their case they'd want it to be a giant shoe:lol:) and women could only participate by having horses entered in their name. I am not certain whether they were allowed as spectators.

and didn't we all guess it? Bunte couldn't resist and put him once again into their issue. The title clearly indicates that they are expecting a marriage soon. It will be very interesting to see pics of the red cross ball this year.

aware

Jaya, if they'd go back to the roots, most athletes couldn't compete as they would have needed to speak Greek. Also you had to be free, thus I should think that athletes from totalitarian countries would be excluded too, as they aren''t free. I wouldn't call a country which doesn't allow all it's citizens to travel freely free and yet the next Olympics will be held there. Often enough athletes have been permitted in order to strengthen those forces that were more peaceful and when you take a look at the cold war years the states and Russia were having their "war" during the Olympics trying to win the most medals at all costs on the back of their athletes health. Then again I supposed that most people prefer some doped athletes to nuked children...

There was apparently also part of the oath that states that you have been training for 10 month (Charlene might be running into some trouble there if they'd reintroduce that) and of course only men could compete. The competition was held naked as it was a celebration of the achievements of the human body (maybe also so that you couldn't get rid of a competitor in a dishonourable way?), whereas today it is a celebration of the various sponsors (Nike would be too happy if they'd erect a statue in their name, though I suppose in their case they'd want it to be a giant shoe:lol:) and women could only participate by having horses entered in their name. I am not certain whether they were allowed as spectators.
Greek was the English of the day and you are being literal and rigid by implying that the modern Greeks would apply these ancient rules . That is not what I meant.
No paca the Olympic games belong to Greece by modern copyright.
Just as the swastika is symbolic of Jainism and their copyright.
What I mean by doing older traditions is like the Marathon, Athens run and swimming in the ocean.and various other things other than the actual copying of the Olympics from then.The Olympics are about a "truce" but they belong to Greece as Diana's image to her family.I think you are hyperbolic to think the Greeks would actually make everyone adhere to the rules from antiquity as Theodore Pangalos outspoken individual of this movement said "they used horses then now we use cars to get to work"
I think you have proved my point in that every time someone says return the Olympic games or the Elgin Marbles to Greece the excuses override the facts
1. the Olympic Games belong in Greece [by modern standards the copyright is theirs]
2.Either the Greeks or the others should come to this realization that it is only a courtesy they are allowed out of Greece.
3 I think that eventually they will say no flame no Olympic game
and I also think some of the IOCmemebers are clueless.
As for PA I think he could have been more conscious of many things surrounding the Olympic games but is not. He has no clue that the ancients if here today would be vehemently opposed to the games moving around like a circus and all these individuals making profit from something that is not theirs.
How would you feel if you have a property and others moved it around every four years until you really had no real access to it at all?
As for the nudity paca let 's not be absurd.
But on the other hand all that is divine is within the naked form so how about we keep it there theoretically and think on these other things.
As I hope PA does.

Last edited:
and didn't we all guess it? Bunte couldn't resist and put him once again into their issue. The title clearly indicates that they are expecting a marriage soon. It will be very interesting to see pics of the red cross ball this year.

I'm sure the ball photos will be very telling...I wonder if Albert will lead off the dancing with Charlene. Now that would be a statement. I think most European press is dying for a major royal wedding to sell issues and they'll exploit any romance (real or not) to get it. There were persistent wedding rumours with Alicia and Tasha as well until the very end...it's all a matter of telling.

This morning on a very boring subway ride to work I was pondering if Albert really intends to marry Charlene and I kept thinking back to Rainier's long-term dalliance with the French actress. All kinds of marriage rumors, speculation about her suitability, etc. and then he married Grace. I have a feeling that Albert may do the same thing. At least I hope so...

Greek was the English of the day and you are being literal and rigid by implying that the modern Greeks would apply these ancient rules . That is not what I meant.
No paca the Olympic games belong to Greece by modern copyright.
Just as the swastika is symbolic of Jainism and their copyright.
What I mean by doing older traditions is like the Marathon, Athens run and swimming in the ocean.and various other things other than the actual copying of the Olympics from then.The Olympics are about a "truce" but they belong to Greece as Diana's image to her family.I think you are hyperbolic to think the Greeks would actually make everyone adhere to the rules from antiquity as Theodore Pangalos outspoken individual of this movement said "they used horses then now we use cars to get to work"
I think you have proved my point in that every time someone says return the Olympic games or the Elgin Marbles to Greece the excuses override the facts
1. the Olympic Games belong in Greece [by modern standards the copyright is theirs]
2.Either the Greeks or the others should come to this realization that it is only a courtesy they are allowed out of Greece.
3 I think that eventually they will say no flame no Olympic game
and I also think some of the IOCmemebers are clueless.
As for PA I think he could have been more conscious of many things surrounding the Olympic games but is not. He has no clue that the ancients if here today would be vehemently opposed to the games moving around like a circus and all these individuals making profit from something that is not theirs.
How would you feel if you have a property and others moved it around every four years until you really had no real access to it at all?
As for the nudity paca let 's not be absurd.
But on the other hand all that is divine is within the naked form so how about we keep it there theoretically and think on these other things.
As I hope PA does.
Jaya, I think that you need to make a difference between the ancient games which were also part of religious celebrations of a cult that no longer exists ad the modern Olympics that Coubertin developped as a means of people to get to know each other in a different and peaceful context. So besides the somewhat idealistic view of coubertin, the modern olympics were always in one way or the other a political instrument as well as sportive. Maybe that's how they often enough justified things that they shouldn't. In any case, I believe everyone is aware that the Olympics are not what they used to be, that then again they never were. They have managed to bring out the best and the worst in people, including killing people. The first Olympics I watched were in Munich. I remember Mark Spitz and some other athletes, but I don't recall anything about the hostage taking. At least not clearly but I was only in kindergarden so I may be forgiven. What I want to say though is that mostly we remember the good things, not the bad things. The Olympics were probably in their modern history never quite what Coubertin had in mind, but people are trying and they should be. They should take a new direction, but I don't think that the Greek have acopyright to the olympics. If so then they should have started the modern games and not leave it to a French Baron to breathe new life into them. Just for the record, the early games were actually held at the paris tradefare and the London tradefare. They were much longer and from early on one can argue that there is commercialism involved. I think the Olympics have to find a new way and give a new meaning to them, otherwise people will lose interest not only in the sport, but also in its ideals. And no nation should lay national claims on ideals IMO.

Pic 6.7.2007

IOC member Prince Albert II of Monaco speaks with fellow member Rania Elwani of Egypt during a lunch break at the 119th Session of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Guatemala City, Friday, July 6, 2007. (AP Photo/Moises Castillo) ----> Pic

seems PA is really a devoted member of the IOC. I would bet it's an aspect of his job he would prefer over absolutely anything else, but that's just my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom