The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 01-04-2006, 03:01 PM
rarotonga's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
Here is a link to some more predictions for Al for 2006. scroll to Europe http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/2006/01/03/hall.shtml
That is hysterically funny! By the way, a good friend of fine is a Pisces and she's getting married in June. Her fiance proposed 11 months after they first met.
__________________

  #82  
Old 01-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Close to Washington, DC, United States
Posts: 225
The January issue of Paris Match magazine Features a cover of PA with black bands above and below it...It says something like--Truth condemed,Paris Match punished for Announcing PA has a son, which he acknowledged days later...
I can't read French-but I believe this was the gist of the cover. Can someone translate the article?
__________________

  #83  
Old 01-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
it is about the judgement about the publishing of an article in PM, which revealed NC and her son. PA sued PM and Bunte, in France the judge agreed with him, in Germany they refused it. From what I hear PM will try and drag to EU courts, since they did not spread rumours, but reported the truth and had valid proof. And they claim that since his fathers death he is head of state of a heriditery monarchy and thus an illigitemate child is not part of his privat life, but of public interest.

I haven't read the article, only the bit on the net, but basically what you said was correct. They only added that other countries are shocked and worried by the judges ruling.

Personally I will never understand why he sued in the first place, since whatever the outcome, it gives them and all other journals, mags etc a reason to reprint the whole story. So what's the point. It doesn't go away and the only winners are the lawyers involved. Might as well live with it and try not to do things that you don't want to read about the next day in the first place.
  #84  
Old 01-05-2006, 08:20 PM
rarotonga's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
it is about the judgement about the publishing of an article in PM, which revealed NC and her son. PA sued PM and Bunte, in France the judge agreed with him, in Germany they refused it. From what I hear PM will try and drag to EU courts, since they did not spread rumours, but reported the truth and had valid proof. And they claim that since his fathers death he is head of state of a heriditery monarchy and thus an illigitemate child is not part of his privat life, but of public interest.

I haven't read the article, only the bit on the net, but basically what you said was correct. They only added that other countries are shocked and worried by the judges ruling.

Personally I will never understand why he sued in the first place, since whatever the outcome, it gives them and all other journals, mags etc a reason to reprint the whole story. So what's the point. It doesn't go away and the only winners are the lawyers involved. Might as well live with it and try not to do things that you don't want to read about the next day in the first place.
From what I've heard, had PA more clout/influence/respected, he could have "bought off" PM and the story might not have been published. But I think that if NC really wanted the story out, there's always someone who will publish it for the "exclusive" story.

I guess the public and media interest in the illegitimate son comes into play when succession rules are in question. Here, there's no doubt that the late Prince Rainier clearly and ambiguously established the line of succession. Period. End of story as to that issue. Of course, there's always the insatiable appetite for scandals such as this and, hence, some will argue that is "in the public interest".
  #85  
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Rainier changed the constitution to protect his son from any claims that were already circlating way before this. PA could change it again, if he wanted to. Sure he needs the approval of the conseil national, but honestly I don't think he would have to fight hard for it. At present he would have it very easy: Stephane Valerie (leader of the majority party) is an old buddy of PA ad as far as I know PA actually owns part of his company. At present he doesn't want to change it, because he might still produce a legitimate heir, but as he gets older, he might change his mind about this, if he doesn't.
  #86  
Old 01-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 566
I thought I had read that the courts had set specific rules about how PM had to post that they had lost the lawsuit? I believe the article said there had to be a banner headline and it had to cover at least 2/3 of the front page. I can't get a copy of the magazine in the States until next week and I can't access anything other than the summary online so I'll have to wait to make a judgment. The legal reasoning about why the courts ruled this as an invasion of privacy still alludes me...I would have thought PA would have censored NC (of course that would be punishing the child) for breach of promise. I wonder why PA's atty's didn't have her sign a legally binding confidentiality agreement or at least some sort of contract that kept him in control of the announcement. Does anyone else sense something is amiss there?
  #87  
Old 01-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
I saw the cover today at my news agent. It actually does cover 1/3 of the page. I always thought it was a silly suit (as all the others like when EA sue that a paper was not allowed to print that he had been condamned for speeding in France (with 230 km/h which exceeds the speed limit by 100). I think it is entirely stupid to sue the papers for reasons I have given above. And if PA thought that she shouldn't talk to the press, there are ways to stop her. Of course he will always have to pay for the child, but not for her and he could easily ( if he wanted to) threaten her to take custody of the child (which is brought up by a nanny ayways, so why not by a nanny in the palace) and (I doubt that if he insisted he wouldn't win the case) in that case he would not have to pay her a single cent or give her a villa etc etc. I think he has been far too nice to her andhas totally underestimated the situation. To sue PM was another sign to me that TL his lawyer either did not advise him properly or he wouldn't listen. I am sure with Rainier she wouldn't have said a peep. Which is probably why she couldn't wait for the mourning period to finish. I can understand his fury about her lack of tact, but still he was raving against the wrong people. He should have been angry with himself and those who advised him in the matter, but what happened was not the papers fault. They only did their job. And if you consider that Mitterands daughter has been known to the press for years and was allowed to grow up and was only made public when he decided that she could handle it (and what a scoop that would have been), then I really don't understand, why this all went so wrong. I imagine that there were far too many lawyers involved instead of the 2 of them sitting down together as parents and making a decision that would be first of all best for the child and secondly good for all of them.
  #88  
Old 01-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarotonga
From what I've heard, had PA more clout/influence/respected, he could have "bought off" PM and the story might not have been published. But I think that if NC really wanted the story out, there's always someone who will publish it for the "exclusive" story.

I guess the public and media interest in the illegitimate son comes into play when succession rules are in question. Here, there's no doubt that the late Prince Rainier clearly and ambiguously established the line of succession. Period. End of story as to that issue. Of course, there's always the insatiable appetite for scandals such as this and, hence, some will argue that is "in the public interest".
Interesting...I though he sued PM for invasion of privacy (kind of like a- 'true or not, you should have respected my privacy' thing). And, imho, it didn't have any teeth to it, that settlement was sooo small.

And I was also under the impression that Prince Albert was totally and completely caught off guard by that sudden blast of exposure from the magazine (but I could be wrong). Any guesses?
  #89  
Old 01-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
... I think it is entirely stupid to sue the papers for reasons I have given above. And if PA thought that she shouldn't talk to the press, there are ways to stop her... I think he has been far too nice to her andhas totally underestimated the situation. To sue PM was another sign to me that TL his lawyer either did not advise him properly or he wouldn't listen. I am sure with Rainier she wouldn't have said a peep. Which is probably why she couldn't wait for the mourning period to finish. I can understand his fury about her lack of tact, but still he was raving against the wrong people. He should have been angry with himself and those who advised him in the matter...
I agree with that statement 110%, paca. His people are probably fatcats that are used to things going their way because they sit so close to the inner circle. Even though certain matters are better handled in private because it's really scandalous and tacky to hang out your laundry in public, I guess maybe those guys won't take things for granted and be more assertive when it comes to minding the ole' store. Especially my dear PA - perhaps he's been keeping better guard over the family 'jewels' - 1B euro is an expensive 'indiscretion', enough to make anyone pay attention, I would think. :o :p :)
  #90  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
I don't think he was caught in surprise. He should have known that, if he didn't handle things properly, she would talk - and she did when she felt ignored and only got to talk to his lawyer. Mourning or not he should have talked to her face to face and sort things out. As much as I dislike her, I can understand her frustration when she couldn't talk to him or wouldn't get a clear answer. A mother should be able to talk to the father of her child about what is important for her child. And being legally recognized is important to a child. Even if he could have gone after PA at the age of 18, IMO that would have been too late to repair any psychological damage. Mitterand publicly revealed his daughter when she was an adult, but meantime he was always there for her and she knew her daddy. SHe knew that he loved her, even though she was not allowed to tell her friends that she had a dad and who he was.

The way it has been done here was surely not correct and being dragged this way into the limelight is probably not good for a child either, but he is still very small and doesn't understand. So by the time he will understand, they will hopefully have found a way to make the best out of this situation for the child. And the media interest will eventually peter out as well. Let's all hope that his parents are adults.

As to PA, I wonder sometimes whether he didn't want it to come out. Maybe not at this particular point, but not too much after. I just think that he should have let his press people handle the way it should have been brought to the public (they are trained for this -thierry Lacoste isn't), but at that point, there was no communication between the press office and the palace (they had less information then the papers).

He was informed before the publication and was given a chance to comment this (the press always does this if they have stories like this - if they are decent that is). His answer was that he wouldn't comment on anything before the mourning period was over. If he would have been smarter, he would have gotten his press people together and talked to PM to not publish anything, and at the same time granting them an exclusive story with interview etc. There used to be good relations between MC and PM so I think with some coaxing and promissing, he could have had much less noise and as parents they now wouldn't sit in different corners.

knowing that this would occur sooner or later, it would have been much smarter to get with NC asap after the funeral and work on a strategy and maybe invite PM for a joint interview. Instead they decided to fight. I can understand that as a friend and as a lawyer TL wanted to fight and protect PA, but sometimes it is not the smart strategy to do this. It is a terrible disease nowadays to immediately get lawyers involved before you have talked to each other. That is aggressive and sends the wrong signals. I think at that point all of them just panicked instead of keeping a cool and level head. and the chaos management just didn't work. At least not for PA and his son. It did work for TL though: Great publicity and lots of new clients. Those who didn't know yet that he was PAs lawyer will all know now. (same btw with Caros German lawyer Prinz - without her no one would have known him).

Probably a good thing he hired a woman to do his press work now. She might have handled things much better.
  #91  
Old 01-07-2006, 12:52 AM
smdouglas's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Paso Robles, United States
Posts: 248
Has anyone thought that PA wanted to draw a "line in the sand" for the media? It is a possibility that he wanted to make a point that his personal life is his. If PM would be allowed to get away with this then Bunt, etc. could put their noses into anything.

It's a possibility that this was simply a way of making a point: Keep out of my personal life!
  #92  
Old 01-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ---, Iceland
Posts: 203
If he wants to keep the media out of his personal life, why on earth does he invite them to his bedroom and allows them to photograph him while he is "getting dressed"? Why does he allows them to watch him eat his breakfast etc? Those pictures appeared in a German magazine lately.

Why didn't he just hire you, Paca, as his press agent? You obviously know what to do in difficult situations.

I think that he has been brought up to be a public person so he thinks that he will have to be open to the media. He doesn't mind being open on most issues but when it comes to difficult ones he wants to hide. It is definitely best not to open up to the media in the first place. And all those silly interviews with American TV shows don't make matters any better. They are way to personal and embarrashing. Skip them, our dearest prince, in the future!!!! Or only talk about Monaco!!
  #93  
Old 01-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
If you see it that way then they shouldn't be allowed to show pics of any children he is going to have, and we all know that all royals take the arrival of a new born as a great way to get publicity. So just because this child wasn't wanted it should be different? If they wouldn't want the press poking their nose, then they shouldn't go to them in the first place. A wedding is a private matter as well, but it is always used to draw attention. And even death, which is a very private thing, is used to draw attention. You can't ask them to only report what you like to read. That would be censure. And you can't invite them for a home story and then get angry when they report sth you don't like. I totally agree that there are limits especially when they are in bad taste (like details from the bedroom etc), but if you don't want to be recognized in public, you don't ask every tiny shop to put up your picture. You don't want them to put their nose into your private life, you don't invite them home. There are ways of communicating with the press only on a professional level. There is a silent agreement that even though most delicate details of the private lifes of politicians are known to journalists, you will not read about them in the papers, unless they have a direct effect on their politics (i.e. someone preaches morals, and has dozens of lovers and is involved with white collar criminals). He could keep it that way, only then nobody would pay attention to his tiny little country and Monaco depends on the fact that people do talk about it. The busloads of tourists only come here every day because there is this scent of glamour and occasional scandal in the air. These people want to see where it all happened and hope to be witness to sth while they are there. You don't think that they come here to inhale our poluted air and look at our concrete desert. They look at the palace, at the graves in the cathedral and go to the casino before they are going of with bags full of souvenirs and their stomach full. And PA lives rather well with the money they leave here. ANd they only do this because PM, Bunte etc do write what they write.
  #94  
Old 01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
If he wants to keep the media out of his personal life, why on earth does he invite them to his bedroom and allows them to photograph him while he is "getting dressed"? Why does he allows them to watch him eat his breakfast etc? Those pictures appeared in a German magazine lately.

Why didn't he just hire you, Paca, as his press agent? You obviously know what to do in difficult situations.

I think that he has been brought up to be a public person so he thinks that he will have to be open to the media. He doesn't mind being open on most issues but when it comes to difficult ones he wants to hide. It is definitely best not to open up to the media in the first place. And all those silly interviews with American TV shows don't make matters any better. They are way to personal and embarrashing. Skip them, our dearest prince, in the future!!!! Or only talk about Monaco!!
Totally agree with you Donna. Maybe I should take your mail and propose my services

Before I moved here, my best friend was a journalist with Sueddeutsche Zeitung and she introduced me a little to her world ( we went to the places where they would gather after work for gossip and I would get to hear heaps of inside stories about the workings behind the scenes - actually Paricia Riekel from Bunte and Markwart from focus where also there regularly). In fact I met the lawyer who represented Bunte in a case with Caro. Of course he wasn't allowed to reveal details, but he would explain general procedures to me. So I know a little of how these things are usually being handled and I can only say that I am scandalized by see how badly things were handled. COnsidering that he could have efforded the best people, he definetely didn't get his money's worth.
  #95  
Old 01-07-2006, 01:15 PM
michelle's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ***, Germany
Posts: 2,687
There's some truth to what you say... even some more.... in what you said about the press.

They need the media, they know that and that's okay. As we're talking about limits I think this point is very important. There are limits to everything. It's true that this family will always have to live with the fact that they are in the spotlight and so they always did...they don't even know it differently... they only know this kind of life. If it is Albert or is sisters and their children. I think that the simple fact of being a public figure doesn't make ones life a mess. Their lifes are as difficult as yours, not more, not less. There are difficult times in their lifes just like anyone else has them. Stephanie once said that she couldn't even imagine a life without this public interest...it's normal to her. That doesn't mean that they aren't bothered by it sometimes, but think of it: Aren't you bothered by some things sometimes as well? I think if certain limits are respected the whole thing should be alright for all sides. But sometimes the press hunts those people in a very disgusting manner. For example stigmatizing Princess Stephanie after her mothers death as someone totally irresponsible and accuse her of having killed her mother. I mean this is disgusting...she was only 17... these were just rumours because they didn't know what to write. Doing this to that girl just because they were out of information and searching for sensation was sooo wrong...they broke her, they did it and now they are critizising her for her behaviour. They just traeted those people without any respect and without dignity there...
They broke the limits..this is never fair.
__________________
.... and so I thank you, Michael ...
  #96  
Old 01-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Close to Washington, DC, United States
Posts: 225
[quote=Donna]If he wants to keep the media out of his personal life, why on earth does he invite them to his bedroom and allows them to photograph him while he is "getting dressed"? Why does he allows them to watch him eat his breakfast etc? Those pictures appeared in a German magazine lately.



Donna,
Do you have the links for these articles/pictures?? Would love to see him getting ready for the day.....
  #97  
Old 01-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ---, Iceland
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by teense
Donna,
Do you have the links for these articles/pictures?? Would love to see him getting ready for the day.....
I just have the magazine itself (can't remember the name of it for the moment) and I don't have a scanner. Maybe I can find it on the internet.
The article was all about how lonely he was in his huge palace. It was really a single advertisement, "single wealthy nobleman seeks a woman, with marriage in mind." There was even a comment from his friends saying how wonderful he is (like we don't already know it). It was really funny. They probably figured that all the women in the world had seen his bedroom anyway so that was nothing private. No, that was bad of me to say. Not all of them have seen it. Maybe just 50%.
I know I'm bad, sorry!! I love you dearly, despite everything, my love.
  #98  
Old 01-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
There's some truth to what you say... even some more.... in what you said about the press.

They need the media, they know that and that's okay. As we're talking about limits I think this point is very important. There are limits to everything. It's true that this family will always have to live with the fact that they are in the spotlight and so they always did...they don't even know it differently... they only know this kind of life. If it is Albert or is sisters and their children. I think that the simple fact of being a public figure doesn't make ones life a mess. Their lifes are as difficult as yours, not more, not less. There are difficult times in their lifes just like anyone else has them. Stephanie once said that she couldn't even imagine a life without this public interest...it's normal to her. That doesn't mean that they aren't bothered by it sometimes, but think of it: Aren't you bothered by some things sometimes as well? I think if certain limits are respected the whole thing should be alright for all sides. But sometimes the press hunts those people in a very disgusting manner. For example stigmatizing Princess Stephanie after her mothers death as someone totally irresponsible and accuse her of having killed her mother. I mean this is disgusting...she was only 17... these were just rumours because they didn't know what to write. Doing this to that girl just because they were out of information and searching for sensation was sooo wrong...they broke her, they did it and now they are critizising her for her behaviour. They just traeted those people without any respect and without dignity there...
They broke the limits..this is never fair.
I do agree with you to a certain point. They shouldn't have treated her the way they did. Also the end of her first marriage was not in good taste. I don't think the world neede to see those pics. BUt again I have to say that things were handled badly. Rainier, wanting to protect his child, completely over reacted and closed of all information. To a normal journalist he was sending the signal: there is sth to find. He is hiding sth. So that's how rumours started. If he would have published medical reports, he could have saved his family a lot of problems. I know, the Grimaldis are pretty hot blooded and very protective of their own, but this often stands in their way of doing the right thing and thus causing more damage insead of preventing it. They often remind me of the sorcerers apprentice, not being able to handle what they started.
  #99  
Old 01-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I just have the magazine itself (can't remember the name of it for the moment) and I don't have a scanner. Maybe I can find it on the internet.
The article was all about how lonely he was in his huge palace. It was really a single advertisement, "single wealthy nobleman seeks a woman, with marriage in mind." There was even a comment from his friends saying how wonderful he is (like we don't already know it). It was really funny. They probably figured that all the women in the world had seen his bedroom anyway so that was nothing private. No, that was bad of me to say. Not all of them have seen it. Maybe just 50%.
I know I'm bad, sorry!! I love you dearly, despite everything, my love.
I just love your sense of humour.
  #100  
Old 01-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ---, Iceland
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I just have the magazine itself (can't remember the name of it for the moment) and I don't have a scanner. Maybe I can find it on the internet.
The article was all about how lonely he was in his huge palace. It was really a single advertisement, "single wealthy nobleman seeks a woman, with marriage in mind." There was even a comment from his friends saying how wonderful he is (like we don't already know it). It was really funny. They probably figured that all the women in the world had seen his bedroom anyway so that was nothing private. No, that was bad of me to say. Not all of them have seen it. Maybe just 50%.
I know I'm bad, sorry!! I love you dearly, despite everything, my love.
I forgot to say that this is how he met his darling Gretchen Haagendaz. She replied to the ad and it was love at first sight.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 10: December 2005-January 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 181 01-07-2006 01:23 PM
HSH Prince Albert Current Events 13 : Nov.2005 - Dec.2005 Gabriella Current Events Archive 186 12-17-2005 01:24 PM
HSH Prince Albert Current Events 8 : June 2005 - July 2005 Gabriella Current Events Archive 159 07-20-2005 09:58 PM
HSH Prince Albert Current Events 5 : May 2005 Gabriella Current Events Archive 196 05-17-2005 08:24 PM
HSH Prince Albert Current Events 3 : Jan.2005 - Apr.2005 Lyonnaise Current Events Archive 155 04-08-2005 05:12 PM




Popular Tags
#jewels ascot 2016 autographed signed best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit brunei catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece history kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mette-marit and women deliver conference queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats wreathoflaurels


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises