The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Serene Highness

Eringer lives in California. I thought I read somewhere on TRF that PA is suing Eringer in the state of California regarding his supposed slanderous statements the first time; before the wedding stuff. The mode of slander should be irrelevant. If his website is in California, he would be sued in that state. Eringer filed a lawsuit against PA in California but it was dismissed because the alleged misdoing did not take place in the US. I don't think you get a free pass just because it's on the web. The thing with celebrities is there may be a grain of truth or something is phrased as a question, so it gets tricky. Some celebs have won lawsuites against the tablorids but it takes alot of time and money; giving large companies an advantage.I'm not a lawyer though so correct me if I am wrong.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Eringer lives in California. I thought I read somewhere on TRF that PA is suing Eringer in the state of California regarding his supposed slanderous statements the first time; before the wedding stuff. The mode of slander should be irrelevant. If his website is in California, he would be sued in that state. Eringer filed a lawsuit against PA in California but it was dismissed because the alleged misdoing did not take place in the US. I don't think you get a free pass just because it's on the web. The thing with celebrities is there may be a grain of truth or something is phrased as a question, so it gets tricky. Some celebs have won lawsuites against the tablorids but it takes alot of time and money; giving large companies an advantage.I'm not a lawyer though so correct me if I am wrong.
Albert is suing Eringer in France. I haven't seen where Eringers suit against Albert has been dismissed. I know Aberts attorneys tried but were denied.
Quote:
Today, the U.S. District Court issued its decision on the Principality of Monaco’s Motion to Dismiss the complaint of Robert Eringer. The court ordered the hearing on the motion vacated and further ordered the parties to commence discovery.
Ricks Law News The United States courts should not be hearing this case for the same reasons as Tamara Rotolos paternity suit.
Quote:
dismissed by Superior Court Judge Graham Anderson Cribbs, who claimed that there was "insufficient contact between Albert and the state of California to justify hearing a suit there" agreeing with an assertion by the prince's lawyer, Stanley Arkin, that the California court had no jurisdiction.
Wikipedia Eringer was working for a Monaco based employer where Eringer has said his office was. The United States has no right to jurisdiction.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I'm most curious to see how this lawsuit turns out; in addition to the summary from Renata4711, I find it noticeable that there are two reasons given for sueing instead of one:
'Invasion of privacy' (meaning part of the stories could be very true but considered by the plaintiff to be of no public interest)
and 'publication of inaccurate facts relating to privacy' (meaning part of the stories could be false).
A fine line between these two only at first sight, but certainly not in terms of law and in terms of the consequences.
I can imagine that regarding 'privacy', the fact that a Head of State is insisting on it instead of a mere Prince or Princess could make a difference, as his right to privacy might be considered rather more restricted than others, for the sake of public and historic interest and for the sake of freedom of the press.
I also wonder if there is any precedent at all of a reigning monarch sueing any media outlet?
The reasons for sueing seem contradictory to me and you underlined it very well. It looks like"even if it is true, I don't want the public people to know". The "invasion of privacy" sounds as if the lawyer of the princely couple already know his suit for "publication of inaccurate facts relating to privacy" will be dismissed and he is preparing another way to win the case. The other possibility is the two reasons for suing are about different parts of the article and the lawyer recognizes that there is some truth in the article. But one can only guess and the court will be very interesting and we won't know anything new before the hearings.
If the case focuses on "invasion of privacy", the juridical debates will be interesting, because the French jurisprudence is keen to considerate that the matters related to an event the plaintiff has himself mediatized are not all private. But that does not mean everything is allowed. If a secret and illicit tape of their wedding night has been published on Internet (may God forbid it), that would have been a typical case of "invasion of privacy".
Another point will be the supposed role of the airport police: the lawyers of L'Express will underline that it is of public interest that the airport police has stopped Charlene if (and I underline the if) it is true, because it would mean public fundings have been used for a private purpose. So the whole case will be a very interesting one.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

I find the posts interesting where some of you are trying to read into the reasons given for the law suit. If it happened or not it really is a private matter therefore no one elses business but the couple. I like what her younger brother said
Quote:
"She and her bridesmaid were in SA on a game farm a week before the wedding. She could have stayed behind if she'd wanted to."
Right there folks could have been the ticket she had to S.A. which LExpress was talking about. She could have stopped for any number of reasons that had nothing at all to do with her trying to escape. How many of you thought of that?

My post with the source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
Monaco's Princess Charlene is 'very happy'

"She and her bridesmaid were in SA on a game farm a week before the wedding. She could have stayed behind if she'd wanted to."

Divaasia.com
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, this show will run and run....

I think the point regarding mediatisation by the plaintiff is a strong one,
Also it appears there is a "spy in the camp" - Charlene who talks to the media.....
Old 08-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I do hope Charlene wears the Ocean tiara (but as a necklace) to the Ball.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Albert is currently at Louis II Stadium for a football match (Monaco versus Boulogne-sur-Mer). I couldn't see if Charlene is here too.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Kitty - she MUST wear that Tiara of all Tiaras (at least for me).

The link again: H.S.H. Princess Charlene of Monaco

Just saw that the OCEAN TIARA is also a ship...... a tanker from Singapore.

Ocean Tiara - Type of ship: Tankship - Callsign: 9VDL6 - vesseltracker.com

The creator of the Ocean Tiara and necklace is Lorenz Bäumer.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Courtier

Ooh yes, I do love the Ocean Tiara. A refreshing new design which really does suit Princess Charlene of Monaco.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Courtier

And hopefully something else than strapless.
Even though I think it suits her (I like her shoulders!) I would like to see something different this time.
It gets boring.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smush View Post
And hopefully something else than strapless.
Even though I think it suits her (I like her shoulders!) I would like to see something different this time.
I think "strapless" has become very much Charlene's signature look when it comes to evening gowns. She always does look good as well and I think she reflects a strong confidence. However, this does not stop her from exploring new design avenues.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't wait to see the Ocean tiara worn !
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Royal Highness

L'Express has received the summon from prince Albert II and princess Charlene: L'Express a reçu l'assignation en justice d'Albert II et Charlene de Monaco - LExpress.fr

The article (from AFP, Agence France Presse) quotes some explanations from Christophe Barbier:
- three different sources, all are reliable and trustable (note from me: it is not my personal opinion, just Christophe Barbier's declarations)
- why Charlene wanted to flight is none of their business; the journalists didn't expose the details which could explain it
- but they regard a political fact that Charlene has wanted for a time to leave Monaco

We will get no more details until the court, I guess.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

So, at least a part of the cat has been let out of the bag !

I'd like to see when exactly these news was published.

From Figaro's Le Flash at 07h23 until 14h04, nothing was reported.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
So, at least a part of the cat has been let out of the bag !

I'd like to see when exactly these news was published.

From Figaro's Le Flash at 07h23 until 14h04, nothing was reported.
It is at the top of the link: today, AFP, 13h36.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Renata, that is one hot ocean liner! LOL

I would like to see Charlene wear it as a necklace with a strapless, medium shade of blue, but it has to be the right blue. A fishtail silhouette would be spectacular; not where there is a fluff of fishtail, but a smooth one.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent

And what will be achieved ? L'Express will sell more papers.

And the two plaintiffs will be made to look as nitpickers.

As it is, the paper is going into Dominique Strauss-Kahn mode, with an extra section titled:
Casanova, l'épopée d'un séducteur (2nd August)

So they've got two hot stories on the go..... in the middle of a hot summer.... I can hear the tills ringing......
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Kitty, perhaps we should suggest to Daniel Bäumer to make another tiara.... :-)
Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness

Keep us posted, Sancia. This will be interesting.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Albert comments on the rumours.....

Royal Musings: Albert speaks out: "everything is false"

Closed Thread