The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Michel Roger, the Minister of State, has got himself involved in the rumour mill that is Monaco.

Since last Wednesday, he has decided that Christophe Barbier (Editor of the L' Express newspaper, is now the bête noire of the Principality.
He is said to have demanded that Monaco should be annexed to France !!
No wonder Michel Roger saw red, and he countered this by pointing out that Monaco has been a sovereign state since 1297, and that CB's assertions are "surrealist".

Monaco : Rumeurs, allégations, le ministre d'Etat réagit | monacomatin.com

So far - so good - with L'Express !

Now Pierre Abramovici, journalist, historian, and Monegasque, gets in on the act, and he pointed out the economic role of Monaco within the region (PACA and beyond, I guess).

Back to Christophe Barbier who then starts to talk about the "normalisation of the principality" - i.e. for Monaco to enter "modernity" , and for Monaco to be simply a part of France.

Michel Roger reminds everyone again that Monaco is an independent and sovereign state.

What now ??

Enter Jean-Francois Roubillon, the President of the National Council !
He is angry to hear what he thinks is a neocolonialist agenda among a French elite which had been present for some time.

...and enter a group of loyal people in the National Council who are "inviting" Christophe Barbier to debate these issues publicly.

I have a feeling this will run ... and run ....

http://www.monaco.mc/Pages/cache/off...C572FAB1.node2

Having checked on Christophe Barbier's Facebook page today, he seems to take PA's legal threats with nonchalance !

And the French newspaper "Le Figaro" reported that PA and Thierry have started proceedings against Christophe Barbier at the High Court of Nanterre (France)

Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the poster wants Monaco to annex France. That would be newsworthy!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I can certainly understand Prince Albert getting fed up with all of this -it has rather put a pale of water on what should have been the most happy days of his life. My problem with it is not just the unnamed sources, people can take anonymous sources for what they are worth, but rather the lack of specifics. In some recent remarks Michel Roger said that they have proof that the paternity claim is false and that Charlene was in or on her way to Greece when the 'runaway bride' story was supposed to have happened. But that's the biggest problem, at least for me, because no one has ever said specifically when this was supposed to have happened. If you don't give specifics you can never verify or disprove them. The only person that should be named is the alleged baby-momma because if that is true she could never remain anonymous anyway. However, the papers give no name and the Palace said that no ex-girlfriends have come forward with any claim. So, until someone does, how is that a story fit to print? Whatever the truth is, I would prefer for the media to 'put up or shut up'.

Excellent post Bones.

Another question is..Charlene was reported to have tried to flee on the day of the Monaco Grand Prix.

But that was the day she was photographed in the much praised print dress with the slingback heels, smiling and laughing and holding hands with Albert.

Later that evening she appeared at the Gala looking like a million bucks in a form fitting gold gown. Again, she looked relaxed as I have ever seen her.

So if she tried to flee it must have been late in the night right?

But L'Express said it was DURING the event that it happened.....?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Today's news is that PA and Thierry Lacoste have starte proceedings at the High Court of Nanterre.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Monaco: L'Express sued
Lefigaro
Quote:
The summons was filed with the court of Nanterre for "invasion of privacy" and "publication of inaccurate facts relating to privacy," he said. "The letter of assignment is part ushers in today (Monday), the term probably will be notified Tuesday," said the lawyer.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

At last ! They are right !
Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Nobility

So, since Monaco is already a protectorate of France, and France invades Monaco, would Monaco appeal to France to defend them against the French? Anyway, as for taking L'Express to court, they certainly are right to do so. Ever since this started all I have heard here is that L'Express is no tabloid, they have a good reputation, they have integrity and yet none of their actions have backed this up. First, they print a story that amounts to nothing more than gossip with no hard facts to back it up, released at a time when it will cause the most pain and bring them the most profit and then their editor-in-chief wants to go back in time to the Revolution and take over Monaco -an independent country. I mean, seriously, down here the U.S. and Mexico have had spats between them but if any editor-in-chief of a major paper called for the U.S. to invade Mexico again he would certainly lose his job and any credibility whatsoever.

I can see the headlines now, "France to Invade Monaco: At last a war they are confident they can win". / "French Forces Occupy Monaco: Will it be the guillotine for the Grimaldis?" / "Paris-Monte Carlo Dispute to be Settled by Game of 21" / "Monaco Launches Preemptive Attack: Send Ten Soldiers to Reoccupy Menton and Roquebrune"

Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Serene Highness

Well done, love the headlines.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Heir Apparent

There are several possibilities:

a) The L'Express newspaper has irrefutable proof(s) of Charlene's "flight".

b) PA's accusations don't stand up, but because he's loaded, it won't matter whether this action costs him a lot of money.

c) Forces within Monaco are at work to destabilise the Principality.

d) Forces from outside Monaco are at work to destabilise Monaco.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post

c) Forces within Monaco are at work to destabilise the Principality.

d) Forces from outside Monaco are at work to destabilise Monaco.
IMHO you can't destabilise a country whose people are content with their lot.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm most curious to see how this lawsuit turns out; in addition to the summary from Renata4711, I find it noticeable that there are two reasons given for sueing instead of one:
'Invasion of privacy' (meaning part of the stories could be very true but considered by the plaintiff to be of no public interest)
and 'publication of inaccurate facts relating to privacy' (meaning part of the stories could be false).
A fine line between these two only at first sight, but certainly not in terms of law and in terms of the consequences.
I can imagine that regarding 'privacy', the fact that a Head of State is insisting on it instead of a mere Prince or Princess could make a difference, as his right to privacy might be considered rather more restricted than others, for the sake of public and historic interest and for the sake of freedom of the press.
I also wonder if there is any precedent at all of a reigning monarch sueing any media outlet?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Aristocracy

I can only imagine how hard it is for someone to leave their native land, family, friends & familiar and comfortable surroundings for the one you love.
But to do so for a Prince would be soooooooooooo much harder.
Its not just the distance from home, but the vast difference of culture, a new language, responsibilty, and the expectation of a nation, most of whom will form opinions about you without ever knowing the real you!
I remember as a little girl admiring Princesses and wanting to be one; I am so grateful that I may still admire them, from afar, without my 'fairytale' coming true ... I would not be able to cope at all.
Am I alone in this???????????
Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Courtier

I must agree with you shari-aree. It is no easy task for a new bride to leave her home and family, however the love and support of her new husband should help her through this. Marrying a Prince is of course no easy task. Being able to cope immediately in the critical public eye does take a stable and headstrong person. Yes to be a princess may be a fairytale but at the end of the day it is also nothing more than a very demanding job.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Courtier

I think she's come to terms with her role as a Princess.
Being a bit shy but handling it very well.
She seemed to be a bit p... off when the press asked her about how she is doing ....
Understandable if she read some of the comments about her and her husband!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The L'Express newspaper has irrefutable proof(s) of Charlene's "flight".
imo i think its a pr move, if she wanted to get out of the country she could have im sure of it also she did an interview the day of the wedding-while getting dress, does that sound like a person not happy with their choice?
i have a question-i havent found this article but it deals with nicole meeting with charlene a day or two before the wedding-i heard about it on other blogs sites and wanted to know if anyone else had read it and was the encounter true?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Semisquare we need a source...not a blog but a source (i.e. picture, newspaper or magazine article). If there is none, I would go with the rumour theory.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Semisquare we need a source...not a blog but a source (i.e. picture, newspaper or magazine article). If there is none, I would go with the rumour theory.
Zonk, I've been following this and the article with the story about Nicole and Charlene was posted on other forums and on Eringers blog. Eringer removed it when it was reported it didn't happen another rumor to cause trouble before the wedding.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari-aree View Post
I can only imagine how hard it is for someone to leave their native land, family, friends & familiar and comfortable surroundings for the one you love.
But to do so for a Prince would be soooooooooooo much harder.
Its not just the distance from home, but the vast difference of culture, a new language, responsibilty, and the expectation of a nation, most of whom will form opinions about you without ever knowing the real you!
I remember as a little girl admiring Princesses and wanting to be one; I am so grateful that I may still admire them, from afar, without my 'fairytale' coming true ... I would not be able to cope at all.
Am I alone in this???????????
Charlene told the press she wanted to move to Europe to train. Albert came along at the same time so I would say she had no problem leaving SA since it was in her original plans. The article was posted in the 2006 threads.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Serene Highness

If Eringer removed it you know it isn't true. He likes to make PA's life difficult.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
IMHO you can't destabilise a country whose people are content with their lot.

Have you talked to Monegasques? Are you sure they are happy?
As fas as I know the country had never had such economic problems, native people do not have the income that rich and millionaires have and they still have to pay for thes same living standard. Most of them are middle class people who see their picturesque, tiny neighbourhoods invaded by huge skycrapers in the interest of the real state business. I woulnd´t be so sure they are content with their situation.

Closed Thread