The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #241  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,684
.

Charlotte and Gad on the set of the new movie "L'ecume des jours" directed by Michel Gondry in Paris on May 10, 2012.


** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery **
__________________

__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
  #242  
Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Tosca's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Posts: 3,639
What does this girl see in that man? Surely he's funny, intelligent, and has a lot of good human qualities, but he looks like her father...
I guess that at 26 years of age one should have got over the loss of one's father. Besides she didn't lack of any paternal figures during her younger years...
__________________

__________________
Let's go back to the old, and we'll have a progress! (Giuseppe Verdi)
  #243  
Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: columbia, United States
Posts: 559
I know Gad seems an unexpected choice, even for Charlotte, but I don't understand why the mere sight of her and Gad, and before that her and Alex provokes such vitriol. And this is not a slight or criticism at you, Tosca, it's just something I've noticed in general. Alex was too ugly and hipsterish, now Gad is too ugly and too old. Charlotte is the one who has to live with these guys. I don't think I have ever been bothered by who she dates and I doubt I ever will be, unless it's somebody like Marilyn Manson.

At any rate, those are some cute Converses. And at Gad working with Michel Gondry!
  #244  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM
mtatum's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sherman Oaks, United States
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by kells View Post
... And this is not a slight or criticism at you, Tosca, it's just something I've noticed in general. Alex was too ugly and hipsterish, now Gad is too ugly and too old ...

Because, with all due respect, he is.

It becomes more glaring for many in this forum because Charlotte Casiraghi is a stunningly beautiful girl, and for what its worth, I think she deserves better.
  #245  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,272
^^^^^
So his worth as a person is to be based solely on his looks? Should Charlotte be valued in the same way?
  #246  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: columbia, United States
Posts: 559
With all honest kindness and all due respect, mtatum, that's a little unfair. What do you mean by "better"? Do you mean she "deserves" someone as handsome as she is beautiful? Why? Because that would be more appealing for us as a third party a. k. a. People Who Are Not in the Relationship? Or because beautiful people should date beautiful people and ugly cretins should stay in their place, how dare they presume to date someone more attractive than they?

Have you ever heard of the saying, "Beauty is as beauty does"? This applies as much to Charlotte as it does to anyone else. Just because she is beautiful on the surface does not mean that she is beautiful on the inside. In fact, quite a few of her actions seem to suggest that while she may not be a cruel or evil person, she definitely does have an unwarranted sense of entitlement which I don't need to tell you is not beautiful at all. I like Charlotte a lot, but I am not blind to her less appealing traits.

You say Charlotte deserves "better" but as far as I'm concerned, she's the one who hit the jackpot. Gad is a funny, hugely popular actor who worked hard (hopefully his work ethic will rub off on her) to get where he is, and is working with some of the most respected directors in the business now: Gondry, Woody Allen, Spielberg, etc. Charlotte is the stunningly beautiful daughter of a princess and has worked for and accomplished next to nothing comparatively (though she is young, admittedly). If all she is bringing to the table is her beauty, you don't have to worry, the relationship will be over soon.

All that said, one of the things that I like most about Charlotte is her ability to choose admirable boyfriends based on inner qualities as opposed to beauty. Alex might not have been attractive to most of you guys, but in every one of his interviews he comes off as well-read and extremely driven, and he opened his own art gallery at like 24. I've already listed Gad's credentials. So, I'll reiterate, at least she's not dating somebody like Marilyn Manson, or perhaps worse, a pretty boy entitled son of a wealthy family which she could probably do with her eyes shut.
  #247  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 PM
mtatum's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sherman Oaks, United States
Posts: 218
Hi Kells. Points well taken. Thanks for expressing your thoughts very clearly and respectfully.

I am merely coming from the fact that I have such a superficial knowledge of Charlotte, and it is with this shallowness that I define the adjective "better" when it comes to this topic.

At the end of the day, I am merely a "gawker" in this forum with no personal or professional ties to these topics, and Charlotte Casiraghi interests me because she is Grace Kelly's granddaughter. Yes, I admit that I cringe when I see photos of Charlotte and her new boyfriend. Do I know this guy substantially? No. Am I basing it merely on the photos posted in this forum? Yes. Unfair to be basing my opinion of physical compatibility? I suppose.

Do I cringe when I see photos of Grace Kelly with Oleg Cassini and Princess Caroline with Philip Junot? Oh yes.
  #248  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: columbia, United States
Posts: 559
No problem. I think we are all guilty of making superficial judgments on people.

And Junot was a special case because it was clear there was something shady about him apart from his looks and the age difference between him and Caroline. But as far as I know, Gad doesn't have the same reputation. I honestly don't know if their relationship is good or bad or healthy or otherwise. All together we get maybe 3 - 5 minutes out of their everyday lives, and that's not enough to judge anything. And at the end of the day, it's her business and she has to live with her decisions.
  #249  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtatum View Post
Do I cringe when I see photos of Grace Kelly with Oleg Cassini and Princess Caroline with Philip Junot? Oh yes.
Based purely on physical looks, which is your criteria, they should have been right up your alley.
  #250  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM
agogo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: côte d'océan Pacifique, United States
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^^
So his worth as a person is to be based solely on his looks? Should Charlotte be valued in the same way?
We are only looking at still photos of him. Look at his films, you might fall in love too. She does not see a immobile photo when she is with him, she is talking to and having a relationship with a live person. Personality is a huge part of a relationship. As a matter of fact, everyone here, lets look at one of his films first and then see if your opinion of him has changed. Bet it will
  #251  
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: columbia, United States
Posts: 559
He is super adorable. I love his wide-eyed, slack-jawed innocent face. But my absolute favorite film has got to be Hors de Prix. I picture him and Charlotte a lot like him and Audrey Tautou in that film, except Charlotte's not, you know, a selfish, charming gold digger.
  #252  
Old 05-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
I have seen him on film only briefly, but I was completely captivated. He is so sexy and charming, and God help us all if 41 years is considered "old"!

If Gad is lucky to have Charlotte, she is even luckier to have him, imo.
  #253  
Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: moving, Spain
Posts: 642
Well, I am one of the few people here who always defended Alex. I never understood why all the hate. He looked like a kind, cultivated and interesting person, and he looked like someone who could be incredibly charming.

I also think that Charlotte taste in men is one of the things that speak better of her. She's never gone for pretty and void wealthy socialites. Both Felix and Alex had well furnished heads.

I'm not shocked by Gad's looks. Actually in a way, he looks a lot like Alex, so it is obvious that that's the kind of look Charlotte likes. He also appears as someone funny and clever.

And I think it's stupid to pretend that beautiful people should only date beautiful people.

What makes me cringe about these two is only the fact that they look like father and daughter in every picture of them we've seen so far. My head knows they are not, but my eyes say otherwise.
I didn't want to comment on these last photos because it was the same story again: oh, God, she looks like her teenage daughter, it's creepy!
I just can't help it.

And of course 41 is not old. For a 41 years old woman.
For a 25 years old girl, yes, it is old.

If Charlotte was my daughter I woulnd't mind seeing her with someone uglier or poorer or foreign, or with a woman if that's her taste.
But I wouldn't like her going out that seriously with someone who is so much older than her.

Since I'm not her mother, I don't care at all, but I canit help cringing when I see the pictures of them together.
  #254  
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: columbia, United States
Posts: 559
Most of the hate for Alex stemmed from his looks. I say this not just about TRF but TFS and some other forums I've been to. A lot of people legitimately believed that he wasn't that intererested in her because he had this "bored" look on his face, but pictures only cover a fraction of a second in time and I always got the impression he was interested in her long before they started dating. Otherwise, for the most part, he was "too ugly" for Charlotte. No one could wait for their relationship to be over, and now it is and Charlotte has replaced him with someone both "ugly" and "old." Poor girl can't win. But I say more power to her.

Quote:
If Charlotte was my daughter I woulnd't mind seeing her with someone uglier or poorer or foreign, or with a woman if that's her taste.
But I wouldn't like her going out that seriously with someone who is so much older than her.
Caroline can't pull that because then Charlotte could call her a hypocrite. Not to say that she can't have learned from that experience, but at this point Charlotte is 25/26, she's grown; technically, she can do what she wants to do, and--hypothetically--the more upset her mom shows herself to be the more Charlotte would probably want to do it.
  #255  
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
We are only looking at still photos of him. Look at his films, you might fall in love too. She does not see a immobile photo when she is with him, she is talking to and having a relationship with a live person. Personality is a huge part of a relationship. As a matter of fact, everyone here, lets look at one of his films first and then see if your opinion of him has changed. Bet it will
I saw Gad in "The Valet" and he comes across as very appealing and funny in a self-deprecating way. Of course, that was the role he played and you can't base that as his genuine characteristics. If they make each other happy, despite the age difference, that's the main thing and looks shouldn't have anything to do with the matter. Besides, I don't find him repulsive at all but as you get older, I find that looks aren't everything.
__________________
A book should be either a bandit or a rebel or a man in the crowd..... D.H. Lawrence
  #256  
Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post
I also think that Charlotte taste in men is one of the things that speak better of her. She's never gone for pretty and void wealthy socialites. Both Felix and Alex had well furnished heads.

I'm not shocked by Gad's looks. Actually in a way, he looks a lot like Alex, so it is obvious that that's the kind of look Charlotte likes. He also appears as someone funny and clever.
And I think it's stupid to pretend that beautiful people should only date beautiful people.
What makes me cringe about these two is only the fact that they look like father and daughter in every picture of them we've seen so far. My head knows they are not, but my eyes say otherwise.
I didn't want to comment on these last photos because it was the same story again: oh, God, she looks like her teenage daughter, it's creepy!
I just can't help it.

.
I fully agree wirh you. Charlotte never choose beautiful brainless guys!
Of course the age difference is shocking me, but I trust Charlotte that if something goe wrong, she will stop it. Didn't she break with Alex, after 4 years? If with Gad it does not goes well, she will break, but for the moment it seems nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosca View Post
What does this girl see in that man? Surely he's funny, intelligent, and has a lot of good human qualities, but he looks like her father...
I guess that at 26 years of age one should have got over the loss of one's father. Besides she didn't lack of any paternal figures during her younger years...
Of course she did!! She was too young to have any rememrance of Stefano. EA came much much later.
As far as Vincent Lindon was concerned, he might did not succeed to this role. And her was not a father's substiture, he was just her mother's boyfriend. They did not live all togetjer as a rela family!
  #257  
Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Bones's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Laredo, United States
Posts: 455
One does not have to choose between old and odd or beautiful and brainless. There are attractive and intelligent people out there. Especially for someone like Charlotte, she could have her pick of any male on the planet I would think. It is not being out of line to want the very best for someone. I think Charlotte could do better than Gad, I thought she could do better than Alex and (here's the important bit, get ready for it) I have often said that no matter who Charlotte goes with I will probably always say the same. I've said the same about Stephanie and Caroline in all of their romantic misadventures. I adore these people and, if I'm going to be honest, I doubt anyone will ever be "good enough" in my book.

I don't see why a girl would find this man attractive (obviously many do) but I have more of a problem with his age (robbing the cradle much?), which is not a little difference it's over a decade of difference, and that he already has a child. He may be a perfectly fine gentleman (for Charlotte's sake I hope he is) and I wish her nothing but the best, but everyone doesn't have to like him just because she does. I also don't care to have my opinion belittled by anyone who has no more reason to like the man than I do to dislike him. A young Grimaldi going with a much older man, yes, I admit, memories of Junot popped into my head too. I think she could do better, and probably always will. I don't hate the man, I don't hold some sort of grudge against him and I'm not worried about it because, even though I've never "approved" of any of her boyfriends I have always been impressed by how steady and serious Charlotte takes her relationships.

And please, just let me say, let's not make this some sort of test in broad-mindedness or who is being more shallow than who. As if people finding Gad unattractive means that 'looks matter to them but they don't matter to Charlotte -that's not the true worth of a person' and so on. If Charlotte wanted to impress me in that area, date someone from the working class with less than a million dollars in the bank -I doubt that will ever happen and it doesn't make me think any less of her, so, I'd just rather not hear any of that sort of talk.

__________________
"Oh, God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams".
  #258  
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: columbia, United States
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
One does not have to choose between old and odd or beautiful and brainless. There are attractive and intelligent people out there. Especially for someone like Charlotte, she could have her pick of any male on the planet I would think.
You're right. And she chose Gad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
It is not being out of line to want the very best for someone. I think Charlotte could do better than Gad, I thought she could do better than Alex and (here's the important bit, get ready for it) I have often said that no matter who Charlotte goes with I will probably always say the same. I've said the same about Stephanie and Caroline in all of their romantic misadventures. I adore these people and, if I'm going to be honest, I doubt anyone will ever be "good enough" in my book.

I don't see why a girl would find this man attractive (obviously many do) but I have more of a problem with his age (robbing the cradle much?), which is not a little difference it's over a decade of difference, and that he already has a child. He may be a perfectly fine gentleman (for Charlotte's sake I hope he is) and I wish her nothing but the best, but everyone doesn't have to like him just because she does. I also don't care to have my opinion belittled by anyone who has no more reason to like the man than I do to dislike him. A young Grimaldi going with a much older man, yes, I admit, memories of Junot popped into my head too. I think she could do better, and probably always will. I don't hate the man, I don't hold some sort of grudge against him and I'm not worried about it because, even though I've never "approved" of any of her boyfriends I have always been impressed by how steady and serious Charlotte takes her relationships.

And please, just let me say, let's not make this some sort of test in broad-mindedness or who is being more shallow than who. As if people finding Gad unattractive means that 'looks matter to them but they don't matter to Charlotte -that's not the true worth of a person' and so on. If Charlotte wanted to impress me in that area, date someone from the working class with less than a million dollars in the bank -I doubt that will ever happen and it doesn't make me think any less of her, so, I'd just rather not hear any of that sort of talk.

Let me start off by saying Bones that I completely respect your opinion and understand where you're coming from even. I don't feel the same kind of "protectiveness" for lack of a better word or admiration for the Grimaldis because most of what interests me about them is inherited. However, I do feel something akin to what you're describing for some of my favorite actors. That said, I have to respectfully disagree. When your main gripe with someone is their looks, that's shallow. I'm sorry. There's no other way to put it.

Also, I don't think anyone intended to belittle anyone else's opinion and I certainly didn't mean to come off that way. My own personal stance is that we don't know Charlotte and we don't know Gad. I cannot say that Charlotte "deserves better" because that places her in a position of superiority that I (note the I) cannot agree with. What makes her so special? She was born to a princess; she was born with great genes; she can take credit for neither of these things. More to the point, by saying she deserves "better"--whether you like Gad or not, that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions--but what exactly makes him "unworthy"? The age difference is something that makes most people uncomfortable, but where I have to get off is with the "worth" issue. I have trouble saying that one person is in any way "unworthy" of another person. Forgive the cliche, but we're all created equal--rich, homeless, beautiful, and ugly, alike. This idea that Charlotte can "do better" is not flattering to her it's insulting to the person she chooses to be with.

Again, I'm not trying to negate your opinion and like I said, I understand what you mean by thinking that no one will ever be "good enough" but I'm just stating my own personal stance. It's certainly not out of line to want the best for someone, but I just can't get behind diminishing someone else's worth.
  #259  
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Bones's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Laredo, United States
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by kells View Post
You're right. And she chose Gad.



Let me start off by saying Bones that I completely respect your opinion and understand where you're coming from even. I don't feel the same kind of "protectiveness" for lack of a better word or admiration for the Grimaldis because most of what interests me about them is inherited. However, I do feel something akin to what you're describing for some of my favorite actors. That said, I have to respectfully disagree. When your main gripe with someone is their looks, that's shallow. I'm sorry. There's no other way to put it.

Also, I don't think anyone intended to belittle anyone else's opinion and I certainly didn't mean to come off that way. My own personal stance is that we don't know Charlotte and we don't know Gad. I cannot say that Charlotte "deserves better" because that places her in a position of superiority that I (note the I) cannot agree with. What makes her so special? She was born to a princess; she was born with great genes; she can take credit for neither of these things. More to the point, by saying she deserves "better"--whether you like Gad or not, that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions--but what exactly makes him "unworthy"? The age difference is something that makes most people uncomfortable, but where I have to get off is with the "worth" issue. I have trouble saying that one person is in any way "unworthy" of another person. Forgive the cliche, but we're all created equal--rich, homeless, beautiful, and ugly, alike. This idea that Charlotte can "do better" is not flattering to her it's insulting to the person she chooses to be with.

Again, I'm not trying to negate your opinion and like I said, I understand what you mean by thinking that no one will ever be "good enough" but I'm just stating my own personal stance. It's certainly not out of line to want the best for someone, but I just can't get behind diminishing someone else's worth.
For the record I specifically said my main gripe was not his looks, I just don't see why it is broad-minded to have a relationship with a person who is unattractive but not "shallow" to only have relationships with those who are extremely wealthy. My point was that if the one is shallow then so is the other, I thought I made that clear, just as I thought I made it clear that "looks" were not the determining factor for me but, it seems I did not. Hopefully I have now.

As for the rest, I really don't know how I explain something as instinctive and personal as these feelings are. I assumed it was something everyone would know in one context or another. I cannot imagine not knowing the feeling, that you feel different about someone you know, someone you've watched grow up compared so someone you don't and have not. Talking about human equality is fine and dandy but, like it or not, while we all have equal human value and we (should) all have equal rights, we cannot care for everyone equally. To care for everyone is to care for no one. I care about Charlotte, I don't care about Gad (I didn't care for Alex either if that matters). Again, this is hard for me to explain because I cannot grasp someone being unfamiliar with the concept. Let me just assure you (I can think of nothing better to do) that if you had children, you would understand what it means to care more about what happens to some people than others, what it means to want the best for someone and what it means to be constantly disappointed that their boyfriends or girlfriends are unworthy of them. And they almost always will be because, *your* children are (or would be) the greatest most perfect human beings to ever walk the earth and no other children will ever measure up. Because you don't care as much for the rest as you do for your own. It doesn't mean you hate all children except your own, but your own are special to you. If you care about someone you always feel that they "deserve better" even if there is no real concrete reason for it.

That's an extreme example in a way, but it's the best illustration I could think of right off the top of my head to explain something I never expected to have to explain. I could say there are probably really enthusiastic Gad admirers or fans or Gad groupies or something of the sort that might take the same attitude toward him and think Charlotte is not worthy of someone so spectacular as their favorite comic-actor. But I can't say that because I can't imagine anyone thinking dear Charlie is not good enough. Because I care about her. Simple as that. It's not a slam on his human dignity or an estimation of his value as a member of the human race ... I just think she could have chosen someone better. If my own daughter started dating a man 15 years older than her who already had a child of his own, I would not be best pleased. I might come to accept him, might even come to like him but when it is someone you care about you're always going to want something (probably unrealistically) ideal for them.

If I have not said it enough, I will say it again, he may be a fine fellow, I have yet to meet him myself, he may be "Mr Wonderful" in the flesh but I think she could do better. Or, perhaps I should say for the sake of the ultra-sensitive, I think she could find someone *better for her*. That's just my feeling on it, I don't pretend to be un-biased, I don't claim any moral superiority, I don't think anyone who adores Gad and thinks he's the best thing to ever happen to Charlotte and that he's absolutely the one and only man for her are in anyway wrong or putting Charlotte or anyone else down. That's how they feel, I would not be upset for them to be correct. It's just not how I feel.

__________________
"Oh, God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams".
  #260  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: columbia, United States
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
For the record I specifically said my main gripe was not his looks, I just don't see why it is broad-minded to have a relationship with a person who is unattractive but not "shallow" to only have relationships with those who are extremely wealthy. My point was that if the one is shallow then so is the other, I thought I made that clear, just as I thought I made it clear that "looks" were not the determining factor for me but, it seems I did not. Hopefully I have now.

OKay. Felix--and correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong--was not extremely wealthy. He and his sister had money, but nowhere near on par with Charlotte's family and friends.

It makes sense that her boyfriends are wealthy because those are the circles she moves in. Why would she go out of her way to find a poor/middle-class person to date when she is surrounded by eligible men who know her, trust her, and whom she trusts back? From the little tidbits I've read about her personality, one common denominator is that she's a very guarded person. And why shouldn't she be? Another gripe against Alex and his family (which I kind of agreed with when it came to his family) were that they were possibly using Charlotte for publicity. In the same vein, a less wealthy man might use Charlotte for money. Unkind as it is, that's a legitimate fear to have and it's happened between people with nowhere near as much money as Charlotte has, so it could quite easily happen to her.

Whether we like to admit it or not, relationships where there is a discrepancy between money and class carry certain issues or problems that maybe Charlotte is not willing to deal with. That's not to say that people with different socio-economic backgrounds can't have a good and/or lasting relationship, but it's in a whole other field than not dating someone because they are not as pretty as you. One is shallow because you're judging people based on physicality which has nothing to do with personality and has no effect on the relationship unless you care about looks. Money and class on the other hand do have an effect on a relationship, and there's no getting around that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
As for the rest, I really don't know how I explain something as instinctive and personal as these feelings are. I assumed it was something everyone would know in one context or another. I cannot imagine not knowing the feeling, that you feel different about someone you know, someone you've watched grow up compared so someone you don't and have not. Talking about human equality is fine and dandy but, like it or not, while we all have equal human value and we (should) all have equal rights, we cannot care for everyone equally. To care for everyone is to care for no one. I care about Charlotte, I don't care about Gad (I didn't care for Alex either if that matters). Again, this is hard for me to explain because I cannot grasp someone being unfamiliar with the concept. Let me just assure you (I can think of nothing better to do) that if you had children, you would understand what it means to care more about what happens to some people than others, what it means to want the best for someone and what it means to be constantly disappointed that their boyfriends or girlfriends are unworthy of them. And they almost always will be because, *your* children are (or would be) the greatest most perfect human beings to ever walk the earth and no other children will ever measure up. Because you don't care as much for the rest as you do for your own. It doesn't mean you hate all children except your own, but your own are special to you. If you care about someone you always feel that they "deserve better" even if there is no real concrete reason for it.

That's an extreme example in a way, but it's the best illustration I could think of right off the top of my head to explain something I never expected to have to explain. I could say there are probably really enthusiastic Gad admirers or fans or Gad groupies or something of the sort that might take the same attitude toward him and think Charlotte is not worthy of someone so spectacular as their favorite comic-actor. But I can't say that because I can't imagine anyone thinking dear Charlie is not good enough. Because I care about her. Simple as that. It's not a slam on his human dignity or an estimation of his value as a member of the human race ... I just think she could have chosen someone better. If my own daughter started dating a man 15 years older than her who already had a child of his own, I would not be best pleased. I might come to accept him, might even come to like him but when it is someone you care about you're always going to want something (probably unrealistically) ideal for them.

If I have not said it enough, I will say it again, he may be a fine fellow, I have yet to meet him myself, he may be "Mr Wonderful" in the flesh but I think she could do better. Or, perhaps I should say for the sake of the ultra-sensitive, I think she could find someone *better for her*. That's just my feeling on it, I don't pretend to be un-biased, I don't claim any moral superiority, I don't think anyone who adores Gad and thinks he's the best thing to ever happen to Charlotte and that he's absolutely the one and only man for her are in anyway wrong or putting Charlotte or anyone else down. That's how they feel, I would not be upset for them to be correct. It's just not how I feel.

You explained yourself fine, and perhaps I didn't say this or make myself clear: You are--and you don't need me to tell you--entitled to your own opinions which a lot of people share. But relationships are not made based on things like looks and age and whether one partner has a child or not. That's all I mean. But I just hope we respectfully agree to disagree on this point.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
charlotte casiraghi, current events


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Andrea Casiraghi, Tatiana & Family Current Events Part 15: April 2010 - February 2015 iceflower Current Events Archive 861 03-01-2015 02:24 PM
Princely Family of Monaco: Current Events Part 6: June 2010 - March 2013 iceflower Current Events Archive 699 04-01-2013 06:47 AM
The Prince of Wales Current Events 11: November 2009-March 2013 Zonk Current Events Archive 832 03-31-2013 11:44 PM
Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock Current Events - Part 5: June 2010 - June 2011 iceflower Current Events Archive 808 07-01-2011 01:06 PM
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 20: March 2010 - May 2011 Her_Majesty Current Events Archive 493 05-04-2011 03:48 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events danish calendar duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style ingrid alexandra kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy movies new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit royal fashion september 2016 sheikha moza state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises