Charlotte Casiraghi Current Events Part 36: June 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the color of that dress Charlotte looks beautiful

^She's a celebrity because she belongs to princely family of Monaco, so I would say: both! But here, I don't think that it's an official appearance. I think that Charlotte's official appearances are considered as it only when she's with mother Caroline, or uncle Albert: what do you think about that? Can we consider this Cartier party as an official appearance? It's something I often wonder, about Charlotte and her siblings, and I would be very interested to know your mind about this subject.

:previous:

If she attends events like these it's not in any function related to the Princely
House of Monaco, she is not officially representing the family.

She is always representing the family and Monaco whether she wants to or not. It may not be in an official capacity but people automatically associate her with the two.

It's a difference whether people associate her attendance with Monaco and the Princely Family
or if she officially attends as representative of the country and the family.

The final part of her Vogue interview, thanks to Sebastiana at TFS! :flowers:

The horse does the physical effort. The rider, on the other hand, has to be the mental force. It’s the rider who decides when the horse should jump, and must work on his technique and have a good instinct. It’s a sport of impressions.” Honorary president of the Monaco International Jumping Competition for the past year, she has been showing greater and greater interest in developing the image of riding, a PR strategy that has consequently sent her looking for partners. “It’s very removed from what I was studying,” she muses. “But it’s enjoyable, and my horses keep me grounded in the present, in something real.” Reality, the grip of nature, basic instincts must certainly be an intoxicating breath of fresh air, a clever way of playing hooky from the constraints of royal life. “I am not a princess,” Charlotte Casiraghi is at pains to stress. “My mother is, not me. I am the niece of a head of state, and while I do have some duties representing Monaco, it isn’t too restricting. It's also for that reason that I refused to be styled like a typical princess for these pictures. For example, I did not want to be photographed on Marie Antoinette's bed. That's the opposite of who I am." Message received then, but whether she wishes it or not, the aura of a royal it-girl illuminates her, and each of her appearances at the Venice Biennial, the Rose Bal, and or the Amfar Dinner at Cap d'Antibes, clad in Chanel, Lanvin, Gucci, Stella MCCartney or Giambattista Valli, sets off a volley of flashbulbs and a world-wide diffusion of pictures, which are dissected by the press and on the Internet. "Like all women, I like clothes," she says. "I like the transformative power fashion permits. But it's not an obsession, and nor do I find it tiresome. Dressing, for me, is a way of honoring those who have invited me or my family. I never try to be spectacular. I want to be correct and respectable."

Listening and observing her, one is reminded of the savage splendour of Brooke Shields in "The Blue Lagoon," and forced to admit that perfection has rarely been so divinely incarnated. In an era of overexposure and vulgarity, Charlotte is a rare species with a deadly lure -- an intriguing, well-behaved young woman, whose purity is a shield. "I've know Charlotte since she was born," says Karl Lagerfeld. "She is a great beauty, that's obvious, but what is more striking is her intelligence and her knowledge. The opposite of "shut up and look pretty." I remember when she came on vacation to my house in Biarritz, and she offered to organize my library with her friends. She adores books, like me, and she always has her nose in a book from morning until night."

Just before she leaves for Monaco where her horses are waiting for her, she mentions she likes, "Rome, ville ouverte" and "Le Mepris," and her iPod which is full of classics such as her favorite "L'isle joueyse" by Debussy, as well as Sly, Faily Stone, avid Bowie, Janis Joplin, Prince and Led Zeppelin. She wraps herself up in a beige trench coat, elegantly freeing her thick bronze hair from around her neck. The temptation to broach the subject of destiny before she leaves is too strong. The question is asked. The response is an amused wink. "It's hard to put together a response to such a question," she replies. "Now I see more clearly what you're asking me. The only thing I can say is that I am very aware of being lucky, and I also know it's necessary to fight. You don't inherit a life. You have to make your own. And that is what is important. The End. She slips out like a shadow on the tips of her ballet flats, Seneca still in her bag. A little while later in a bookshop, I look at "On the shortness of life" and fall by accident on this sentence which could have be written just for this exquisite Amazon: "life is amply long for those who order it properly."

Yesterday Charlotte went to a Vogue/Gucci event in Paris: the Vogue Fashion Night 2011, which took place in Paris Gucci store. She wore a MiuMiu dress, according to Pomeline's skyblog.
- Fashion spot pics
- Pomeline's article

Last edited:
STUNNING

Very nice hair, nice dress, pretty shoes and elegant posture.

Interesting point: Sje seems not carrying any bag!

Interesting article - always great to see her continue to evolve

She is always representing the family and Monaco whether she wants to or not. It may not be in an official capacity but people automatically associate her with the two.

Outside of these boards I doubt if the average man in the streets has any idea who she is or who she is related to.

Outside of these boards I doubt if the average man in the streets has any idea who she is or who she is related to.

Totaly agree with you. I've never met people who know who the children of Pr Steph and Pr Caroline are. Well, I would say that people younger than 25 years old barely know who the Grimaldi are either (by Grimaldi, I mean Caroline, Stephanie and Albert). But maybe with the wedding they gained some popularity. :flowers:

In N. America I would agree. I would think most European women would know PC and Charlotte. They are on the covers of alot of European magazines. And I think in their market niche, wealthy and fashionable, almost all women would know who they are.

In N. America I would agree. I would think most European women would know PC and Charlotte. They are on the covers of alot of European magazines. And I think in their market niche, wealthy and fashionable, almost all women would know who they are.

Well I live in France. I can certify you that the majority doesn't know who she is. Believe me. They are on the cover of some magazines, I agree but the people who bought these magazines featuring her are mostly royalwatchers. I remember last year when I wrote about the wedding of Monaco and England on the newspaper of my Uni (we are a team of 26, mostly girls) and the majority didn't even know who the prince Albert is (and he is the head of state, the one who is supposed to be the most famous of the three).

Last edited:
Yesterday Charlotte went to a Vogue/Gucci event in Paris: the Vogue Fashion Night 2011, which took place in Paris Gucci store. She wore a MiuMiu dress, according to Pomeline's skyblog.
- Fashion spot pics
- Pomeline's article

Makeup flawless...but I don't think I like that dress. It looks too old, staid...almost like something for a matronly widow. :ermm:

Well I live in France. I can certify you that the majority doesn't know who she is. Believe me. They are on the cover of some magazines, I agree but the people who bought these magazines featuring her are mostly royalwatchers. I remember last year when I wrote about the wedding of Monaco and England on the newspaper of my Uni (we are a team of 26, mostly girls) and the majority didn't even know who the prince Albert is (and he is the head of state, the one who is supposed to be the most famous of the three).

I live in France too, and I can assure you that Titiromi is right! My friends don't really know Grimaldis (we are all around 25 years old): the only time we talked about them was to joke about the rumours of Charlene escaping from her palace, before the wedding. I would say that if today there is any interest for Grimaldis, it is thanks to Charlene (what I say here is only based on my own experience). Caroline and Stephanie are considered as the old scandalous princesses, and their children are not really known by real people. I speak for France, I think in Germany Caroline must be still known by every part of the population, because of her wedding with E-A.

Charlotte's been on the cover of French Elle and French Vogue within the last 12 months. Are you saying French women don't read those magazines anymore? That French women no longer follow fashion? Amazing.

Charlotte's been on the cover of French Elle and French Vogue within the last 12 months. Are you saying French women don't read those magazines anymore? That French women no longer follow fashion? Amazing.
You know, Vogue and Elle are barely bought by always the same person and I'm sure the two together don't do 10% of the selling. Magazines like Voici, Closer, Public are the kind of magazine which sell here. She doesn't even have a wikipedia in France. I'm not saying she is not famous. She is famous with royalwatchers but the majority of the people here doesn't even know she exists.

^She's a bit famous, of course, for a little person. I can assure you than magazines sell other women to french people: lots of actresses, even more actresses that princesses. And as princesses are concerned, it is Catherine who is the most talked about. French women are interested by this middle-class girl who married Diana's son. Point de Vue often talks about Mary, Maxima, or Letizia: strong and classy women, who are admired by lots of people.
I would add that Charlotte didn't appear on Elle's cover: she was just evoked on the cover, nothing more. Vogue is too expensive, and too specialized in fashion for french women. I don't talk about fashionistas, but about french women who have a job, a family, and run all the day after the time. If Charlotte is on a cover, it will be on a "tabloid" (I say tabloid to make an opposition to fashion magazines) where we will see pictures of her at a party: this is not good for her image. She's often presented as a socialite - until her "intellectual" interview in Vogue. But not a lot of people are going to read it... If you want to verify what I say, go on french forums, and read comments about Charlotte. You would be very surprised, people don't like her at all.

Last edited:
Video of Vogue Fashion Night, Charlotte appears at 1h. She doesn't seem at ease at all, I wonder why she came (maybe because she's on this month cover). She always shakes her head, when she talks to someone, or listens to someone, it's something I already noticed, I think that she must be really shy.

^ Thanks for the video. I also noticed her shyness. She kept trying to move away from the camera. I don't really blame her. I'm a bit shy around people I don't know as well, and I don't think I would be comfortable in a situation like that with a camera waiting to capture my every move.

^Yes, but this presence of camera was a bit normal, at a Vogue party. I understand her shiness, but her behaving (avoiding the camera) was a bit childish. I think that things could be more simple: you don't like cameras, you don't go to Vogue Fashion night. Charlotte is a very ambiguous one, she wants more privacy, and she poses for Vogue, so she's obliged to go to this party in which she obviously wasn't at ease... I don't understand everything!! I'm 100% with her when she turns her head while walking in the street with Alex, but why all this operation of communication which leads her to be more and more under the light? It's strange.

Last edited:
Going to these events is part of her job for Monaco. Wealthy people are Monaco's market niche. You see her at fashion events, art openings and equestrian competitions. The kinds of things wealthy people go to. Potential customers for Monaco. The same reason she gives interviews to Vogue and Elle. Those are the magazines wealthy women read. Princess Caroline did the same type of thing until Charlotte took over.

I see what you are saying LovelyKate about Vogue being too expensive. It's the same here in the US. It just surprised me because I always think of the French as being so much more into fashion that they would be willing to pay the higher price. Then again, with the bad economies everywhere, no one can afford such frivolities anymore.

I see what you are saying LovelyKate about Vogue being too expensive. It's the same here in the US. It just surprised me because I always think of the French as being so much more into fashion that they would be willing to pay the higher price. Then again, with the bad economies everywhere, no one can afford such frivolities anymore.

^ Totally agree with you. With bad economies, people worry more about their problems than about fashion. I think that french women are still interested by fashion, but this doesn't imply that they follow "haute couture". My friends and I love talking about dresses, shoes, or bags, but we only go to affordable shops. The fashion in wich Charlotte evolves, the fashion she wants to promote, only a little part of people can afford it!

Last edited:
Video of Vogue Fashion Night, Charlotte appears at 1h. She doesn't seem at ease at all, I wonder why she came (maybe because she's on this month cover). She always shakes her head, when she talks to someone, or listens to someone, it's something I already noticed, I think that she must be really shy.

From that short clip she comes off as being very gracious but naturally shy and wary of cameras. French Vogue is really capitalizing on their relationship with her lately! It must be the doing of Emmanuelle Alt, the new Editor of Vogue Paris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom