Charlotte Casiraghi Current Events Part 36: June 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one know where the Vogue photo shoot took place?
It looks like a beautiful chateaux!

Does any one know where the Vogue photo shoot took place?
It looks like a beautiful chateaux!

Chateaux de Fontainbleau. In one of the photos reads Jardin de Diane, Fontainbleau. All the pictures were taken there.

Last edited:
^ I don't think that none of them (Charlotte + teacher) never evoked any precise point of philosophy. I didn't mind it but as you notice it, Kells, I think that would have been very interesting!

iloveroyals I totally agree to your analysis of Charlotte's interview: a lot of things were, as you said, "too much". As the article of Paris Match is concerned, I didn't interpret it as a second-degree article, I'm not sure that was the case, but I have to recognise that it is a very strange article so: why not? :)
LovelyKate, you put me up to a challenge here. I am afraid you’ve launched me into an attempt of literary interpretation as I try to explain why I think the Paris-Match article is tongue-in-cheek.
The exact same type of article was written about Princess Caroline some 35 years ago when she was both a debutante and pursuing her studies in Paris. They had a quality reminiscent of the tone adopted by the English and American writers of the 1920’s, 1930’s. Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby” comes to mind as does Somerset Maugham. The detached, blasé, aloof attitude, yet meant to enthrall the reader, was picked up in France by Francoise Sagan in the fifties, and in her literary debut, Princess Caroline gave her a nod in her description of Monte Carlo, cool yet meant to put the reader in a trance.
In the Paris-Match article, I believe the author assumes we are familiar with this particular style which follows this to- and- fro movement of embracing and keepings its distance from the actors and setting. We are drawn into the hypnotic charm of a glitzy society few of us can approach,( any of the shadier aspects of pedigree or origins of fabulous fortunes are obliterated), and along with the characters, we float on a cloud of unreality and ephemerality. The first paragraph sets the tone with the predominance of the indefinite article “un”, “une” which both depersonalizes and mythifies the characters and setting. Then the theme of Charlotte, both solitary and always surrounded is developed through many examples, where Charlotte is always involved in the activities of the rich while keeping all of its dangers at bay, always the princess in the castle of her own private dreams. The vision of Alex challenging someone to a dual is so out of character, it is ludicrous. Add to that the seemingly normal lifestyle of Charlotte when walking the streets of Capri, her family and friends just playing wealthy tourists, juxtaposed with the image of her presence on her mother’s extraordinary yacht, which is where she really belongs.
The anonymous entourage has to be presented as vulgar to set off Charlotte’s unique refinement befitting her blue-blood pedigree.
When I was young, I took those types of articles seriously. They built the myth of Caroline as being very special and I dearly wanted to adhere to it. Reading the same thing several decades later, I am more aware of its literary origins and the idea that the writer is writing for two types of audiences. The readers who want to be carried by this fantasy, and those that will fall in step with the writer’s wink in a subtext implying, “I know, this is all too precious, and is meant to be read with the appropriate amusement”. I don't mean to sound patronizing toward first degree readers, I am just trying to answer your question honestly, and I may be totally off in my reasoning, but it is based on my experience (which I hope is not totally solipsistic).

Here is a translation of the Paris Vogue Interview. Thanks so much to Sebastiana at TFS for translating! (...)

Thank you sugarbaby and Sebastiana at TFS for posting and translating this interview.
Now let me unleash my cynicism. I love how the leftists (Liberation is a leftist paper) like to rub elbows with billionaires, and how billionaires love to do the same with leftists. So they can all discuss Marx and the fair distribution of wealth as they drive in their tinted-windowed limousines to the next "diner en ville" where champane and caviar will be handed out as they arrive. Since Liberation is owned by Rothschild, I rest my case.
FanofMonaco, I know what you're going to say, you have a bottomless and predictable repertoire of the Monaco's infinite virtues and you've already made your rebuttal in an earlier post.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I love royals I can see your point. The French are the masters of the double entrendre.

The Monaco royals help keep the European magazine industry alive. The magazines give the customer what they want. People want to escape; especially when times are hard.

As far as being filthy rich there is nothing wrong with that. The Grimaldis do alot of good. Their people have the higest standard of living in the world. They provide 45,000 jobs (55,ooo in the summmer) to the French and Italians.They promote the French and Italian fashion industries, the French and Italian riviera tourist industry. They drive and thus promote VWs, Fiats and Nissans (made in France) when they could be driving luxury cars. They build schools and clinics thru Amade and Stephanie's aids organization. Promote ecology and the arts. They have earned their money. They do quite alot for such a little country.

Good point. It's why I overlook so much negative publicity and dubious behavior among them...which when you come to think about it is no worse than many of the major Royal European houses...just more out in the open, by people who are MUCH better looking and are not hypocritical enough to try and appear like models of domesticity. :lol:

I love the Grimaldis. :whistling:

Thank you sugarbaby and Sebastiana at TFS for posting and translating this interview.
Now let me unleash my cynicism. I love how the leftists (Liberation is a leftist paper) like to rub elbows with billionaires, and how billionaires love to do the same with leftists. So they can all discuss Marx and the fair distribution of wealth as they drive in their tinted-windowed limousines to the next "diner en ville" where champane and caviar will be handed out as they arrive. Since Liberation is owned by Rothschild, I rest my case.
FanofMonaco, I know what you're going to say, you have a bottomless and predictable repertoire of the Monaco's infinite virtues and you've already made your rebuttal in an earlier post.

I do not think being rich and having leftist idea is contradictory. Just because they have enherited fortunes it doesn´t mean they cannot wish that "wealth is better distributed". As long as it is not their wealth of course. And of that we have an example here I guess: Beatrice Borromeo.

Well I used to date a very wealthy person and he claimed he was a communist..
So no, it's not uncommon to be rich and leftist.

No, I love royals I can see your point. The French are the masters of the double entrendre.
FanofMonaco, I am not sure at what degree I should take your response, but if it is in the first degree, I want to thank you for the graciousness of your reply to my unnecessarily snarky remark. I won't ever say again you have no surprises in store for us!

I personally want wealth distributed more readily and demographically. There's always a contribution by the countries and it's people that highlight and make issue of what is integral or preferred within it's governing. The make up of the contribution is demonstrative of the voices of all who partake in the opportunities, rights and freedoms. Sometimes it hurts to see a concave and break down of agreement in the planet these days which inhibits progression and success. Sometimes I feel there are issues like our current technological makeup that can baffle the government such as to ethics involved in incorporating techniques like genetically altering food produce consumed by the public.

Sometimes there is disagreement between parties involved which can cause the stagnation we have seen and are trying now to mend. But back to where I originally started, I wish health and prosperity were generously abundant in the backbone or our World's sociological makeup and as far as I can tell the masses are understanding how to more readily handle issues and collaborate to accomplish true health and wealth respectively.

It's a concern of mine for I got to see a little of life through my 34 years of living and am surprised at how things developed after the nineties. I hope I may not seem irrelevant to the topic. Peace.

Last part of Charlotte's interview for Vogue Paris posted on Pomeline's webblog.
For those who don't understand franch, it's exactly the same kind of speech as we read in first part, with a stronger irrefutable argument: a short quote from Kaiser Karl himself, explaining that Charlotte is as clever as she is beautiful, that when she came to see him in Biarritz she read from morning to evening, always and always...
At the end, journalists say that before leaving she tells them that she loves classic movies (Rossellini, Godard, but nothing with Grace Kelly... :ermm: Maybe she didn't evoke her because it was too evident), and that her i-pod is full of classic musics, that L'isle joyeuse by Debussy is her favourite music, but she also loves Joplin, Bowie, Prince, Led Zeppelin (good taste! ;)).
One thing interesting: she said that she refused to pose on Marie-Antoinette's bed during Fontainebleau shooting, because it's all the contrary of what she really is.
So the message of this interview seems to be: very down to earth person (refusing to be considered as a princess), very beautiful and very intelligent.

Last edited:
Charlotte comes across as refined, intelligent and a very interesting person. I don't say beautiful becaue it is too obvious.
We need more Charlottes !!!!

Very interesting to hear someone else describe her. It must be like that, she must spend much time reading, I do not doubt it. I´d like to know in what sense she considers so far from the French queen or any other royal. Do the Casiraghis live from a famlily inheritance or from the principality´s income her mother receives?
In the end she seems a very interesting girl, at least above the average party socialite.

She was smart for not posing on the bed. She doesn't let the press bully her into stuff like alot of movie stars get caught doing. Her interviews and articles come off a little too perfect but she is representing Monaco and has to be careful. She seems to have inherited her grandmother's common sense in addition to her beauty.

Do the Casiraghis live from a famlily inheritance or from the principality´s income her mother receives

I always wondered the same thing..........

Just an idea: maybe this interview has something to do with her contract with Gucci. Maybe as per the contract she has to accept some interviews with high level fashion magazines. She is the face of the Gucci riding clothes she can not live hidden from the fashion press.

I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying all of the posts about Charlotte in Vogue! I'm still a fan of Charlotte's but polite debate, discussion is what were here for!
Anyway, about Charlotte in Vogue, I am leaning towards a Palace spin on this.
If your an intellectual, and we can go ON and ON about what that entails, you kinda sorta keep company with people of like mind. When I lived in Moscow I met many intellectuals, mainly writers. Intellectuals from what I observed are extremely, and obsessively dedicated to their craft, if that is the correct word.
(i'm not an intellectual, full disclosure here). During the siege of leningrad the curators of the Hermitage endured horror's we can't comprehend, but at night, in the basements, in freezing cold, starvation, and with frostbitten fingers, they worked on their reasearch, the porcelain collections, french and old master paintings, the archeological discoveries in Armenia, and poetry.
Don't get me wrong I don't expect Charlotte to sit in a damp freezing basement writing essays, BUT if you purport yourself to be something, back it up.
The company, lifestyle, and very public life we can all see doesn't show that she is an intellectual. Every one we see her with is UBER rich. From what I saw, intellectuals either want be alone, or with their own kith and kin.
I like Charlotte, she's young, really beautiful, glamorous, but I think that lately the Palace (or she and Caroline) are trying to debunk the frivolous image that the Princely Family evokes.
Bottom line from what I saw in New York and Moscow, intellectuals are not hypocrite's. There weird, full of passion, and live more comfortably with their own kind.
I LOVE Charlotte, but to me IMHO she came off as......:whistling:

Last edited:
I agree with you completely, Vanya. Now, of course, the paps aren't going to catch Charlotte EVERYWHERE she goes. She's not quite that famous or in-demand, but we do have enough pictures of her to know that she frequents more fashion shows, or fashion-centered parties than anything else. If she was going to paint herself as anything, it should be someone "cultured" since she appreciates art (her boyfriend even owns an art gallery), philosophy, and she travels extensively. An intellectual is an image obviously nobody is buying. She may be intelligent, I'm not disputing that, but I think if she was more down-to-earth instead of trying inflate herself this article would've come out a whole lot better.

But I still like her, too. She's still leagues ahead of Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, and just about any American socialite right now.

Excellent point about the company she keeps, Vanya. I'm a Charlotte fan through and through but I think she tries too hard to paint a picture of herself as the anti-party girl. She just maybe trying to come off as someone serious and with substance, which is still a better route to take image-wise...certainly better than the image some celebrities deliberately choose these days. I also wouldn't consider her an intellectual though and I hope that's not the message she's trying to send. (I'd believe her as one if she publishes a peer-reviewed article on a philosophical subject in a respected journal, not an article in a fashion magazine.)

kells said:
I agree with you completely, Vanya. Now, of course, the paps aren't going to catch Charlotte EVERYWHERE she goes. She's not quite that famous or in-demand, but we do have enough pictures of her to know that she frequents more fashion shows, or fashion-centered parties than anything else. If she was going to paint herself as anything, it should be someone "cultured" since she appreciates art (her boyfriend even owns an art gallery), philosophy, and she travels extensively. An intellectual is an image obviously nobody is buying. She may be intelligent, I'm not disputing that, but I think if she was more down-to-earth instead of trying inflate herself this article would've come out a whole lot better.

But I still like her, too. She's still leagues ahead of Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, and just about any American socialite right now.

I completely agree that she is way ahead of any American socialite! (Though perhaps not Ivanka Trump.. but anyways...) I think what is most remarkable about her is how well behaved she is -- no scandal, no public outbursts. Especially when you consider all the odds are against her. Someone mentioned Caroline Kennedy's daughter .. She has been largely kept put of the spotlight but flipped off the paparazzi at a Kennedy funeral. Can't imagine Charlotte doing that!

I just wish they would ask her questions about what contemporary films/music she likes, perhaps her opinion on social issues ( nothing too controversial, maybe environmental issues because shes expressed an interest in environmentalism), and other contemporary topics.

And btw I think it's great she did the vogue editorial. Those pictures are timeless and generations to come will admire them, and I think when she gets older she will also be happy she has those photos.

Last edited:
One article I just read, maybe the equestrian article, did ask her what music she had on her ipod. She liked classical music, something by Debussy, Prince, Pearl Jam, Def Leopard. Maybe she is trying to learn about American rock because they seemed like older groups.

One article I just read, maybe the equestrian article, did ask her what music she had on her ipod. She liked classical music, something by Debussy, Prince, Pearl Jam, Def Leopard. Maybe she is trying to learn about American rock because they seemed like older groups.

Def LEPPARD..........Oldies but goodies!!! Excellent music taste !

I guess I'm just wondering what kind of things (from her generation) interest her. Artists, musicians, films, books, etc.

I love that Queen Rania is such a contemporary woman and has her own youtube channel/updates her own facebook! I'm not saying I would expect Charlotte to do anything like this.. but it would be interesting to hear her insights on today's global popular culture, especially since she has seen so much of the world. I think asking her these kind of questions would reveal who she really is, how she thinks, and how she sees the world.

But I guess this is all wishful thinking, because after this huge Vogue editorial I doubt she will be putting herself out there again any time soon.

Last part of Charlotte's interview for Vogue Paris posted on Pomeline's webblog.
For those who don't understand franch, it's exactly the same kind of speech as we read in first part, with a stronger irrefutable argument: a short quote from Kaiser Karl himself, explaining that Charlotte is as clever as she is beautiful, that when she came to see him in Biarritz she read from morning to evening, always and always...
At the end, journalists say that before leaving she tells them that she loves classic movies (Rossellini, Godard, but nothing with Grace Kelly... :ermm: Maybe she didn't evoke her because it was too evident), and that her i-pod is full of classic musics, that L'isle joyeuse by Debussy is her favourite music, but she also loves Joplin, Bowie, Prince, Led Zeppelin (good taste! ;)).
One thing interesting: she said that she refused to pose on Marie-Antoinette's bed during Fontainebleau shooting, because it's all the contrary of what she really is.
So the message of this interview seems to be: very down to earth person (refusing to be considered as a princess), very beautiful and very intelligent.
Hi! I'm from Bulgaria and I'm new here!:flowers:
She has really good taste in music agree!

She said Led Zeppelin, not Def Leppard! haha. Sorry to fussy, but there's no comparison in my opinion... :)

I completely agree that she is way ahead of any American socialite! (Though perhaps not Ivanka Trump.. but anyways...) I think what is most remarkable about her is how well behaved she is -- no scandal, no public outbursts. Especially when you consider all the odds are against her. Someone mentioned Caroline Kennedy's daughter .. She has been largely kept put of the spotlight but flipped off the paparazzi at a Kennedy funeral. Can't imagine Charlotte doing that!

I just wish they would ask her questions about what contemporary films/music she likes, perhaps her opinion on social issues ( nothing too controversial, maybe environmental issues because shes expressed an interest in environmentalism), and other contemporary topics.

And btw I think it's great she did the vogue editorial. Those pictures are timeless and generations to come will admire them, and I think when she gets older she will also be happy she has those photos.

I saw those pictures also. I understand that it was a private time for them, and the paps are scum, but flipping somebody off to me has always seemed so vulgar and childish. Whenever you do it and to whomever. But again, I will say I understand the circumstances. She and her family were grieving. There was definitely a better way to handle it.

But definitely one thing I can say about Charlotte is that she seems like a person with class. There are certain things she seems uncompromising on (like the the Marie Antoinette shot) and I like that. You've got to stand up for something, as opposed to so many celebs who will fall quite willingly for anything.

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet (and it is from wikipedia, so I'm not sure how accurate it is), but it says there will be a second issue of EVER Manifesto called EVER Bamboo: Ever Manifesto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On June 2nd 2011, in anticipation of the upcoming second issue of Ever Manifesto – EVER Bamboo, due for release in October 2011- the founders of the publication hosted an event together with Hogan, Andrea della Valle, and Stefano Tonchi.
Artists Mike and Dough Starn were commissioned to create a bamboo structure in Venice. It stretched upwards over the buildings allowing the spectators to see a unique view of the famous Italian city and its channels from within the bamboo structure."

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet (and it is from wikipedia, so I'm not sure how accurate it is), but it says there will be a second issue of EVER Manifesto called EVER Bamboo: Ever Manifesto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On June 2nd 2011, in anticipation of the upcoming second issue of Ever Manifesto – EVER Bamboo, due for release in October 2011- the founders of the publication hosted an event together with Hogan, Andrea della Valle, and Stefano Tonchi.
Artists Mike and Dough Starn were commissioned to create a bamboo structure in Venice. It stretched upwards over the buildings allowing the spectators to see a unique view of the famous Italian city and its channels from within the bamboo structure."

Yes. If you go to the Charlotte pics thread ther is pictures posted yestterday in a strange bamboo structure. We did not really know what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom