The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I think she came across as well spoken in the Vogue Paris interview...she's clearly well-educated and I was most interested in her own criticism of herself: always trying to be perfect, to be the best. If there's one thing Charlotte's public image has always been built on is that she is this ideal version of what a princess should be, from her looks to her pedigree to her fashion sense to her academic achievements. It cleary got to her and this is why she broke from school.
I don't know about you but this article is just too precious. I had to smile when the smallest flaw in this perfect young woman was that she was a perfectionist. Any book on interviewing will tell you that when asked about a fault, you must choose one that is also a quality, and perfectionism is at the top of the list.
Charlotte seems to be a very young nice lady, but this kind of interview is just too much! Two philosophy books come out of her pocket when asked what she is currently reading? This is too much!
There are also some minor inaccuracies in how you get to enter an "ecole preparatoire". Where are the fact checkers?
I wish Charlotte well of course, but if she is as intelligent as she is described, she should not allow hagiographic interviews when she is 25.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Well said fandesacs.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Aristocracy

Where does it say she doesn't have a degree. It says she does but that she choose to do no more about it. As in didn't study for a masters or a PHD. In this day and age, anyone series about scademic pursuits, or pursuits in one particular subject, always do further study. BA's etc mean very litter anymore. It seems to be this that she is explaining and also that she doesn't particularily like the competitive, exam focus in this area A lot of very intelligent people are useless at exams. To be honest she doesn't come across as particularily bright. Just intellectual. There is nothing in that interview. that hints that she has any particular intelligence about the world around her.

She seems fine. Serious, and earnest, and apparently desperate not to be just a pretty face. Remember in our world you cannot be rich and good looking, and then have the absolute cheek to be clever.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Courtier

Okay, so having thought about all this, my final verdict is just awkwardness. The whole thing is just awkward. The pictures---are beautiful---but awkward. The interview: definitely awkward. The part where it says Charlotte doesn't give interviews...well, then what are we doing here?

About the education thing, I think in this day and age (it's difficult to get masters; at least in America, I don't know about Europe) only because it's so expensive to go to school. And then there are fewer jobs that would allow one to pay back all these loans.

Charlotte no have that problem. It's fine if you don't want to continue your education, especially since she seems to have decided to want to pursue l'equitation instead and obviously she's not gonna have a "normal" job like teaching or whatever. But trying to make herself appear intelligent is just a little bit too forced. All she gave was a general overview of why she liked philosophy. Well, how about what kind? There are all sorts of different ideas going around out there. What interests you? Nihilism? Existentialism? I'm shocked she didn't mention Derrida with all the famous names she pulled out of a hat. Sorry for the irritability, I just feel like this whole thing was pointless. At least we got to see her in some Pucci.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Serene Highness

I don't know much about philosophy, but she said rationality and her professor said morality interested her.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Courtier

Did he say that? I remember her saying that she liked "analyzing the development of philosophy or concepts" or something like that, but that was all on the subject. I only remember the Maggiori guy saying that she was very "scrupuleuse" which means "conscientious." Which actually says more about her than anything that actually came out of Charlotte's own mouth.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Courtier

^ I don't think that none of them (Charlotte + teacher) never evoked any precise point of philosophy. I didn't mind it but as you notice it, Kells, I think that would have been very interesting!

iloveroyals I totally agree to your analysis of Charlotte's interview: a lot of things were, as you said, "too much". As the article of Paris Match is concerned, I didn't interpret it as a second-degree article, I'm not sure that was the case, but I have to recognise that it is a very strange article so: why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I'm really sorry BUT this article has not been written by Charlotte herself, but by Paris Match. For decades Paris Match has managed to exist thanks to this kind of articles, in this special language, dedicated to people rich, beautiful and famous. Before Charlotte it was her mum, her aunt, Pcs Diana, etc etc.
The sell the dream, in a gold envelope, but this is normal, they just respond to the existing demand!
Do you think that they would sell by writing an article dedicated to an uggly, non elegant, middle class living woman, trying to combine 8hrs per day job, transports by bus, children, husband and domestic tasks (cleaning, ironing, ...) during the weekend (of course no time for hairdresse, shopping with friends and manicure, pedicure)?
People like Charlotte sell, with their beauty, money, hapiness, even with dramas (remember her mum), and is an entire industry to take profit of this.
WE are also responsible, WE are part of the mechanism, WE open the site TRF every day to see the glitting im age.
WE should accept this, IMO
Dear Fandesacs, where did you read in my post that this interview was written by Charlotte? On the contrary, I said that I was angry against those journalists who did too bad their job, by writing such an article.
I totally agree with your post: Paris Match sells dream, and that's why they wrote about Charlotte, because she's a young beauty, belonging to a glamourous and wealthy family. I only noticed that they insisted a bit too much on her luxury world, which was a bit disturbing, because we live in a very difficult time, where lots of people suffer from poverty (even if they have a job).
However, I totally agree with you: WE are responsable, and I am too, I won't be hypocrital, if I'm a member of this forum I contribute to this "mechanism", as you very well said. It was not Charlotte who shocked me (I know or I imagine very well that she lives in a golden world and it doesn't matter!) but the style of this article.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Aristocracy

Well let's not take this article too seriously.after all they had to write about " the glamourous, filthy rich lifestyle " of Charlotte Casiraghi of Monaco, not about a normal, ordinary 25 year old gal..............
And at the end of the day, those kind of magazines sell dreams and sell copies just thanks to people like Miss CC
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

The Monaco royals help keep the European magazine industry alive. The magazines give the customer what they want. People want to escape; especially when times are hard.

As far as being filthy rich there is nothing wrong with that. The Grimaldis do alot of good. Their people have the higest standard of living in the world. They provide 45,000 jobs (55,ooo in the summmer) to the French and Italians.They promote the French and Italian fashion industries, the French and Italian riviera tourist industry. They drive and thus promote VWs, Fiats and Nissans (made in France) when they could be driving luxury cars. They build schools and clinics thru Amade and Stephanie's aids organization. Promote ecology and the arts. They have earned their money. They do quite alot for such a little country.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Serene Highness

And, "filthy rich" is meant to demean them - in that, they don't deserve their riches, and do no good. As we know, they support many charities from the Arts to Humanitarian efforts - no one can say that they do nothing, and maintain any credibility.....ridiculous....
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Aristocracy

Does any one know where the Vogue photo shoot took place?
It looks like a beautiful chateaux!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya Trubetskoy View Post
Does any one know where the Vogue photo shoot took place?
It looks like a beautiful chateaux!

Chateaux de Fontainbleau. In one of the photos reads Jardin de Diane, Fontainbleau. All the pictures were taken there.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Aristocracy

An article about Charlotte on TrésSugarhttp://tressu.gr/18773104: http://tressu.gr/18773104
Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyKate View Post
^ I don't think that none of them (Charlotte + teacher) never evoked any precise point of philosophy. I didn't mind it but as you notice it, Kells, I think that would have been very interesting!

iloveroyals I totally agree to your analysis of Charlotte's interview: a lot of things were, as you said, "too much". As the article of Paris Match is concerned, I didn't interpret it as a second-degree article, I'm not sure that was the case, but I have to recognise that it is a very strange article so: why not?
LovelyKate, you put me up to a challenge here. I am afraid you’ve launched me into an attempt of literary interpretation as I try to explain why I think the Paris-Match article is tongue-in-cheek.
The exact same type of article was written about Princess Caroline some 35 years ago when she was both a debutante and pursuing her studies in Paris. They had a quality reminiscent of the tone adopted by the English and American writers of the 1920’s, 1930’s. Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby” comes to mind as does Somerset Maugham. The detached, blasé, aloof attitude, yet meant to enthrall the reader, was picked up in France by Francoise Sagan in the fifties, and in her literary debut, Princess Caroline gave her a nod in her description of Monte Carlo, cool yet meant to put the reader in a trance.
In the Paris-Match article, I believe the author assumes we are familiar with this particular style which follows this to- and- fro movement of embracing and keepings its distance from the actors and setting. We are drawn into the hypnotic charm of a glitzy society few of us can approach,( any of the shadier aspects of pedigree or origins of fabulous fortunes are obliterated), and along with the characters, we float on a cloud of unreality and ephemerality. The first paragraph sets the tone with the predominance of the indefinite article “un”, “une” which both depersonalizes and mythifies the characters and setting. Then the theme of Charlotte, both solitary and always surrounded is developed through many examples, where Charlotte is always involved in the activities of the rich while keeping all of its dangers at bay, always the princess in the castle of her own private dreams. The vision of Alex challenging someone to a dual is so out of character, it is ludicrous. Add to that the seemingly normal lifestyle of Charlotte when walking the streets of Capri, her family and friends just playing wealthy tourists, juxtaposed with the image of her presence on her mother’s extraordinary yacht, which is where she really belongs.
The anonymous entourage has to be presented as vulgar to set off Charlotte’s unique refinement befitting her blue-blood pedigree.
When I was young, I took those types of articles seriously. They built the myth of Caroline as being very special and I dearly wanted to adhere to it. Reading the same thing several decades later, I am more aware of its literary origins and the idea that the writer is writing for two types of audiences. The readers who want to be carried by this fantasy, and those that will fall in step with the writer’s wink in a subtext implying, “I know, this is all too precious, and is meant to be read with the appropriate amusement”. I don't mean to sound patronizing toward first degree readers, I am just trying to answer your question honestly, and I may be totally off in my reasoning, but it is based on my experience (which I hope is not totally solipsistic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbaby318 View Post
Here is a translation of the Paris Vogue Interview. Thanks so much to Sebastiana at TFS for translating! (...)
Thank you sugarbaby and Sebastiana at TFS for posting and translating this interview.
Now let me unleash my cynicism. I love how the leftists (Liberation is a leftist paper) like to rub elbows with billionaires, and how billionaires love to do the same with leftists. So they can all discuss Marx and the fair distribution of wealth as they drive in their tinted-windowed limousines to the next "diner en ville" where champane and caviar will be handed out as they arrive. Since Liberation is owned by Rothschild, I rest my case.
FanofMonaco, I know what you're going to say, you have a bottomless and predictable repertoire of the Monaco's infinite virtues and you've already made your rebuttal in an earlier post.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Serene Highness

No, I love royals I can see your point. The French are the masters of the double entrendre.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
The Monaco royals help keep the European magazine industry alive. The magazines give the customer what they want. People want to escape; especially when times are hard.

As far as being filthy rich there is nothing wrong with that. The Grimaldis do alot of good. Their people have the higest standard of living in the world. They provide 45,000 jobs (55,ooo in the summmer) to the French and Italians.They promote the French and Italian fashion industries, the French and Italian riviera tourist industry. They drive and thus promote VWs, Fiats and Nissans (made in France) when they could be driving luxury cars. They build schools and clinics thru Amade and Stephanie's aids organization. Promote ecology and the arts. They have earned their money. They do quite alot for such a little country.
Good point. It's why I overlook so much negative publicity and dubious behavior among them...which when you come to think about it is no worse than many of the major Royal European houses...just more out in the open, by people who are MUCH better looking and are not hypocritical enough to try and appear like models of domesticity.

I love the Grimaldis.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
Thank you sugarbaby and Sebastiana at TFS for posting and translating this interview.
Now let me unleash my cynicism. I love how the leftists (Liberation is a leftist paper) like to rub elbows with billionaires, and how billionaires love to do the same with leftists. So they can all discuss Marx and the fair distribution of wealth as they drive in their tinted-windowed limousines to the next "diner en ville" where champane and caviar will be handed out as they arrive. Since Liberation is owned by Rothschild, I rest my case.
FanofMonaco, I know what you're going to say, you have a bottomless and predictable repertoire of the Monaco's infinite virtues and you've already made your rebuttal in an earlier post.

I do not think being rich and having leftist idea is contradictory. Just because they have enherited fortunes it doesn´t mean they cannot wish that "wealth is better distributed". As long as it is not their wealth of course. And of that we have an example here I guess: Beatrice Borromeo.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Aristocracy

Well I used to date a very wealthy person and he claimed he was a communist..
So no, it's not uncommon to be rich and leftist.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
No, I love royals I can see your point. The French are the masters of the double entrendre.
FanofMonaco, I am not sure at what degree I should take your response, but if it is in the first degree, I want to thank you for the graciousness of your reply to my unnecessarily snarky remark. I won't ever say again you have no surprises in store for us!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Nobility

I personally want wealth distributed more readily and demographically. There's always a contribution by the countries and it's people that highlight and make issue of what is integral or preferred within it's governing. The make up of the contribution is demonstrative of the voices of all who partake in the opportunities, rights and freedoms. Sometimes it hurts to see a concave and break down of agreement in the planet these days which inhibits progression and success. Sometimes I feel there are issues like our current technological makeup that can baffle the government such as to ethics involved in incorporating techniques like genetically altering food produce consumed by the public.

Sometimes there is disagreement between parties involved which can cause the stagnation we have seen and are trying now to mend. But back to where I originally started, I wish health and prosperity were generously abundant in the backbone or our World's sociological makeup and as far as I can tell the masses are understanding how to more readily handle issues and collaborate to accomplish true health and wealth respectively.

It's a concern of mine for I got to see a little of life through my 34 years of living and am surprised at how things developed after the nineties. I hope I may not seem irrelevant to the topic. Peace.

Closed Thread