Charlotte Casiraghi Current Events Part 36: June 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely pictures. If I'm not mistaken the photographer was Mario Testino who usually takes very nice pictures. I do agree that I would like to see her smile more often, realizing however that that is not common in fashion photography, but it would be nice otherwise.

Which Vogue? American, French, English? Remember, she is not a professional model. Her best pictures are usually candids.

Last edited:
Radker18: thank you for the Vogue pictures!

I like very much some pictures. She looks so beautiful and natural!

In fact, they were taken by Mario Testino.

It's Vogue Paris. And yes Testino took the pictures, therefore they look very Testino...he's not my favorite, but like I said Char looks beautiful.

FanofMonaco said:
Which Vogue? American, French, English? Remember, she is not a professional model. Her best pictures are usually candids.

French vogue

The pictures are gorgeous! Although she's not a model so I'm cutting her a bit of slack, she does look a little uncomfortable and awkward in some of them. Also, the article isn't really that bad either...however, I do wish she'd talk about something other than the books she reads and horses. I get that she's passionate about that stuff but it's getting repetitive. I respect her right to privacy and everything, but still.

She looks gorgeous!
Like a model, really. Some poses are awkward, but that face compensates anything.

Breathtaking!
And she looks soo much like her mum at same age!

What a surprise!
I don't like Testino very much but he is a close relationship to charlotte and it's only natural that she choose him,
We should certainly cut her some slack. She is not a profesional model, and in some pics she looks unconfortable but in many of them she looks relaxed and gorgeous. I love the first one in black and white.

Nevertheless I don't really understand why she has done it. It's not a contract obligation with Gucci, like the 1st interview. It seems something like a narcissistic exercise. She has nothing new to talk about: the same childish enumeration of the many books she's read, trying to sound deep and intelectual (at least she admits that she abandoned her studies mid way) and the same praising of Tintero (who, by her words, is doing badly only because of his character, funny how she hides that the horse does well when she is not the rider).

Don't misunderstand me. I'm glad she's done it and we have the pics, but I don't get her motivations. She's not an actress or a singer who need the promotion, she is not under contract obligation, she is not even promoting Monaco, she has not achievement to talk about. It reads like a "me, me, me, i'm so pretty, and cultivated and intelligent, and I've read so many books, and I work so hard, and I have so many horses, and I want the whole world to know how wonderful I am even if I have nothing to talk about"
I hope there is something more in the rest of the interview because otherwise the contents is really desapointing.

Last edited:
I get your point trepstep, but what did others have to say so interesting? Caroline gave several interviews and posed for photographers. In that case was she really promoting Monaco? Or was it also a narcissistic exercise? Miss Witstock gave interviews in which she repeated how delighted she was that she was to become a princess (...) Mary and Frederick did the same not long ago, showing off their redesigned palace. So, why looking for a reason to do this. It must be nice to see beautiful pictures of you in a magazine, and honestly I don´t think there is any other reason, even for an actor or anyone with artistic talent to pose like this. Why cannot Charlotte do it? She is famous, although not for her own merit. We are commenting on how good she looks after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
i understand your point too, trepstep. Honestly, I kinda felt the same way. I truly love charlotte who stayed away from the public eye as much as she can, and did not seek it out. It seems that now, with those Vogue pictures, she's actively seeking limelight, and I do not sure I like the transformation. I love her being more mysterious..

Anyway, those pictures are truly gorgeous. I have always think that charlotte is a stunning young lady, but with these pictures, it just surpassed my imagination. She is truly a beauty.

I agree with Rosana here. After all, at 25, Charlotte does not have many years left where fashion editors will find her fresh or groundbreaking enough to feature on their magazine cover. Besides, with so many publications using her and her family to sell magazines without their permission, she might as well take control. And what better magazine to strut your stuff than that fashion bible that is Vogue, and to work with the most esteemed fashion directors, editors, and designers? Much better than seeing an unflattering paparazzi shot of yourself on the cover.

I honestly wish she would be on the US edition too :)

Charlotte has the kind of beauty which will last for some decades.
She may well be tired of being on magazine covers.

In Caroline case I think that it was in fact a narcissistic exercise. she did those interviews when she was very young. she loved the public attention and showing off as the beautiful princess. Those famous pics by Lagerfeld with her husband and the 3 kids are an example. She put her 3 children in the spotlight willinglinly showing them off. Later she learned her lesson, discovered she had made a mistake and started trying to protect them from the press. But it was too late, and the press alreadly loved and wanted them.

Charlene cse is different. She is doing an exercise of public relations. Her interviews are without interest but she is the prince consort, she has a public role to play, people had to have a chance to know her and well they are so many suspictions about her marriage that they need this kind of bland public statements.
Same think with Mary and Frederik. They are going to be king and queen of denmark. even if they don't like doing interviews they do it because their people want to know them.

Charlotte pretends to love her privacy to the point of being needlessly rude to the jopurnalist who asked her how was the show at Stella Mcartney, but it would seem that she loves a little to much the attention...

Of course Charlotte has every right to do it. It is very tempting to to an editorial with a famous photographer. And she is beautiful. But she is no public person. There is no people who need to know her. She doesn't even mention Monaco.
It seems as if she does it only to feed her ego, show everybody how pretty she is and how many books she has read. It's no crime, and she has the right to do it. But it still seems pointless and narcissistic to give an interview to talk about your high school achievements and the many books you've read.

What a surprise!
I don't like Testino very much but he is a close relationship to charlotte and it's only natural that she choose him,
We should certainly cut her some slack. She is not a profesional model, and in some pics she looks unconfortable but in many of them she looks relaxed and gorgeous. I love the first one in black and white.

Nevertheless I don't really understand why she has done it. It's not a contract obligation with Gucci, like the 1st interview. It seems something like a narcissistic exercise. She has nothing new to talk about: the same childish enumeration of the many books she's read, trying to sound deep and intelectual (at least she admits that she abandoned her studies mid way) and the same praising of Tintero (who, by her words, is doing badly only because of his character, funny how she hides that the horse does well when she is not the rider).

Don't misunderstand me. I'm glad she's done it and we have the pics, but I don't get her motivations. She's not an actress or a singer who need the promotion, she is not under contract obligation, she is not even promoting Monaco, she has not achievement to talk about. It reads like a "me, me, me, i'm so pretty, and cultivated and intelligent, and I've read so many books, and I work so hard, and I have so many horses, and I want the whole world to know how wonderful I am even if I have nothing to talk about"
I hope there is something more in the rest of the interview because otherwise the contents is really desapointing.

As usual Trepstep, you perfectly express my thoughts!!
I appreciate a lot these pics for Vogue because Charlotte is a perfect beauty which is always a pleasure to look at. Even if, according to me, stylist and make-up artist's choices could have been better, but it's a style exercise, and an occasion to see Charlotte in very different outfits.
As the interview is concerned, I was very surprised to learn that Charlotte gave up prepa. It means that she stopped her studies (and never tried to enter ENS because she gave up prepa: so who said to medias that she failed in it???), and I can't believe medias now when they say that she has a philosophy licence. French system is very strict: after the 2 years of prepa, students are allowed to enter universities, directly in the third year of licence. Charlotte didn't finish prepa, so she couldn't have been allowed to finish her licence. And imagine my reaction when she talks about philosophy agregation: agregation is one of the most difficult exam in France, you need to have bac +5 to pass it. Charlotte is bac + 0, her sentence sounds a bit pretentious to me. As her list of books/authors do too, which is a list of clichés: she quotes the most intellectual writers, it's not natural at all, as if she learned this list and repeated it in each interview, to show how clever she is. That's why I totally agree with Trepstep: this interview is an auto-promotion to show everybody that she's beautiful and clever, but I don't really suscribe to this image she wants to show. I'm totally convinced that she's clever, but she wants to show it too much. And I'm also convinced that she's beautiful, I just have to look at her to see it.
Maybe, if journalists have had asked her better questions, Charlotte wouldn't have repeated her same answers. I wish that one day she could be interviewed by a better journalist, who would lead her to answer in a deeper way: she deserves it.

And to conclude this looong post: I really love this pic, Charlotte is very natural, with very little make up. Don't you think that on this pic she looks like Caroline? And like Stephanie in this one? While looking at this photoshoot, I was striked by Charlotte's similarity with her aunt. I never noticed it, but now it seems obvious to me.

Last edited:
It appears that Charlotte has only recently become comfortable with the spotlight...starting with that first interview she did where her uncle sat by her side and then slowly doing more and more. She was perhaps advised to start making herself more visible, so she can take a more active role in Monaco and the equestrian world. She's a natural Vogue girl, nonetheless--representing everything they want readers to aspire to. I'm also sure that she is aware that there is a heavy mystique around her and the demand was high to hear her thoughts in print and her actual speaking voice.

As the interview is concerned, I was very surprised to learn that Charlotte gave up prepa. It means that she stopped her studies (and never tried to enter ENS because she gave up prepa: so who said to medias that she failed in it???), and I can't believe medias now when they say that she has a philosophy licence. French system is very strict: after the 2 years of prepa, students are allowed to enter universities, directly in the third year of licence. Charlotte didn't finish prepa, so she couldn't have been allowed to finish her licence. .

I read that sentence with surprise aswell, but I believe that the vogue journalist made a HUGE transcription mistake.
We know for certain that Charlotte did finish her prepa at Fénelon and took the ENS examination because her name was in the public lists of the ENS in 2006. Someone posted a link to the ENS web site with the exam results, and I cleary remember reading it.
So, she finished prepa, she took the ENS entrance exam and she failed (which isn't so terrible since the ENS exams are really difficult but it doesn't make her the intellectual wonder the press wants to sell either).
After the failed exam she probably started a philosophy licence the next year and it is probably then when she dropped her studies, who knows the reasons, probably a mixture between desapointment after the ENS failure (since she says herself that she is such a perfectionists and puts so much pressure on herself), the distraction of a new long distance boyfriend, and the shock of having to find her way inside the impersonal Sorbonne system after the coziness and the teachers personal attention of her Fonteinebleau school and her prepa class.

Last edited:
No doubt various magazines have repeatedly asked Caroline, Stephanie, Charlotte and Charlene to do fashion spreads in magazines. Caroline has been on the cover of Paris Vogue about four times, Stephanie has been on their cover at least twice. Perhaps Charlotte has received so many requests over the years to be on the cover of Paris Vogue, she just finally said yes. Perhaps what motivates is just simply giving into years of requests and agreeing to do a fashion spread. There is some control over her own image, maybe choosing the photographer and couture. She is a private citizen of Monaco that has been placed upon some kind of a pedestal because of her lineage and her looks but I do see this fashion magazine cover as a positive reflection on Monaco. That is what Monaco is, glamour, fashion, living well, looking beautiful etc.....

Just a question here, what is a a philosophy licence in France? What does one do with it? Teach?

I read that sentence with surprise aswell, but I believe that the vogue journalist made a HUGE transcription mistake.We know for certain that Charlotte did finish her prepa and took the ENS examination because her name was in the public lists of the ENS in 2006. She finished prepa she took the exam and she failed (which isn't so terrible since the ENS exams are really difficult but don't make her an intellectual wonder either), we know because someone posted a link to the ENS web site with the exam results.
After the failed exam she probably started a philosophy licence the next year and it is then when she dropped her studies, who knows the reasons, probably a mixture between desapointment after the ENS failure, (since she says herself that she is such a perfectionists and puts so much pressure on herself), new long distance boyfriend, and the shock of having to find her way inside the impersonal Sorbonne system after the coziness and teachers personal attention of her Fonteinebleau school and her prepa class.

All this part of this interview is a big mistake (is there anybody in Vogue who could verify articles before public edition?) because they say that Charlotte had a licence which made her enter prepa. It's totally wrong, you first go to prepa, and then you finish your licence. I can't understand such a mistake in Vogue PARIS, written by french journalists, who have been to french universities!!

Just a question here, what is a a philosophy licence in France? What does one do with it? Teach?

Unfortunately, you can't do many things with a philosophy licence. You have to study a few years more, to have a master. Then, as philosophy is very prestigious, you can teach, after AGREGATION (a very difficult exam). And if you are very very clever, or if you have a well-known family (or both of it) you are invited to TV shows where you explain your vision about the world. You can write article, too. It's a very elitist cursus, according to me!

TrepStep, did the exam results just show pass/fail or how close or far off she was from passing? I agree with you ( we are agreeing way too much lately) about her Tintero remarks. If she is blaming Tintero for not doing well lately I believe it is due to her riding ability, not the horse. Thierry has got really excellent results with Tintero this year. He vaulted to 600 something in the Rolex rankings in one month from riding Tintero. It disappoints me to hear her say that. I disagree with you ( ah, back to normal) about the magazine interviews. She is being asked to do them by Prince Albert and is also trying to promote show jumping. When Queen Elizabeth and Prince Harry came to New York last year it was to promote England. They would never admit that, though. Royalty doesn't sell. It's soft sell advertising.

My fav pic of this whole editorial is the one LovelyKate says she looks like Stephanie.
And about the other things being discussed: i really don't understand Charlotte. She says she wants to be a private person, she gives this interview (which is almost a cabon copy of the other ones) and this huge editorial pics...
I don't know what to think about her anymore...

The only opinion it hasn't changed is that she is a stunning beauty.

TrepStep, did the exam results just show pass/fail or how close or far off she was from passing? I agree with you ( we are agreeing way too much lately) about her Tintero remarks. If she is blaming Tintero for not doing well lately I believe it is due to her riding ability, not the horse. Thierry has got really excellent results with Tintero this year. He vaulted to 600 something in the Rolex rankings in one month from riding Tintero. It disappoints me to hear her say that. I disagree with you ( ah, back to normal) about the magazine interviews. She is being asked to do them by Prince Albert and is also trying to promote show jumping. When Queen Elizabeth and Prince Harry came to New York last year it was to promote England. They would never admit that, though. Royalty doesn't sell. It's soft sell advertising.

I've read that Princess Caroline, in some interviews, also blamed others for her mistakes. A family trait, maybe?

I'm curious: how do you know Prince Albert asked her?

Last edited:
I'm ready for Pierre to do a real interview now. Apparently he's the only interesting Casiraghi because andrea and now Charlotte are boring me to tears. I mean, if she loterally has nothing new to say in the past, what, three months sinceher last interview, or more accurately in the past year since her first interview. I mean I love jer, she's gorgeous but it's getting boring. So hopefully Pierre will feel the pressure, start speaking up so it will get interesting around here. He strikes me as the no filter for his mouth type.

^ I agree about the whole no filter thing Kells. I would LOVE to hear from Pierre!

Would someone be willing to translate the Vogue Paris article for me? I tried google translate, but it didn't really translate it correctly. I would love to know exactly what Charlotte said, so I could follow all the stuff being discussed in this thread! Thanks in advance.

She is being asked to do them by Prince Albert and is also trying to promote show jumping. When Queen Elizabeth and Prince Harry came to New York last year it was to promote England. They would never admit that, though. Royalty doesn't sell. It's soft sell advertising.

Magazine interviews are done months prior to being published. There seems to be a coordination with the wedding, publish date of Vogue and the Vanity Fair best dressed list. A concerted effort to present the Monaco family and those associated with the Grimaldis as chic and glamorous.

Vanity Fair best dressed: Andrea Dellal, mother of Alex Dellal. Alejandro Santo Domingo, half-brother of Tatiana Santo Domingo. Countess Matilde Bororomeo, half sister to Beatrice Borromeo and Princess Charlene.

That is what the PR department is supposed to do, try to shape and control the Grimaldi image. This magazine article is nice and could be part of the PR at the palace.

Last edited:
In Caroline case I think that it was in fact a narcissistic exercise. she did those interviews when she was very young. she loved the public attention and showing off as the beautiful princess. Those famous pics by Lagerfeld with her husband and the 3 kids are an example. She put her 3 children in the spotlight willinglinly showing them off. Later she learned her lesson, discovered she had made a mistake and started trying to protect them from the press. But it was too late, and the press alreadly loved and wanted them.

Charlene cse is different. She is doing an exercise of public relations. Her interviews are without interest but she is the prince consort, she has a public role to play, people had to have a chance to know her and well they are so many suspictions about her marriage that they need this kind of bland public statements.
Same think with Mary and Frederik. They are going to be king and queen of denmark. even if they don't like doing interviews they do it because their people want to know them.

Charlotte pretends to love her privacy to the point of being needlessly rude to the jopurnalist who asked her how was the show at Stella Mcartney, but it would seem that she loves a little to much the attention...

Of course Charlotte has every right to do it. It is very tempting to to an editorial with a famous photographer. And she is beautiful. But she is no public person. There is no people who need to know her. She doesn't even mention Monaco.
It seems as if she does it only to feed her ego, show everybody how pretty she is and how many books she has read. It's no crime, and she has the right to do it. But it still seems pointless and narcissistic to give an interview to talk about your high school achievements and the many books you've read.

In the case of Caroline, are you referring to the photos where she and Stefano are in the kitchen with the children on the floor all around? Caroline has torn jeans on? Then later she and Stefano appear in formal wear and Caroline is wearing a beautiful ball gown and tiara?

Those photos were were silly, imo. I simply could never understand why she was doing that particular photo shoot...but I think you have nailed it.

She was young and beautiful and had a beautiful family and wanted to show off. :sad:

As for Charlotte? Who knows. Maybe she has seen all the publicity being given to the Duchess of Cambridge and her over-rated sister, and wants to show the world what a REAL European aristocratic beauty looks like.

"Look at me, look at me! I am prettier than the Middleton girls, and I didn't have to marry anyone either!"

Last edited:
In the case of Caroline, are you referring to the photos where she and Stefano are in the kitchen with the children on the floor all around? Caroline has torn jeans on? Then later she and Stefano appear in formal wear and Caroline is wearing a beautiful ball gown and tiara?

Those photos were were silly, imo. I simply could never understand why she was doing that particular photo shoot...but I think you have nailed it.

She was young and beautiful and had a beautiful family and wanted to show off. :sad:

As for Charlotte? Who knows. Maybe she has seen all the publicity being given to the Duchess of Cambridge and her over-rated sister, and wants to show the world what a REAL European aristocratic beauty looks like.

"Look at me, look at me! I am prettier than the Middleton girls, and I didn't have to marry anyone either!"

Those photos were shot by Karl Lagerfeld and were meant to be a present from the designer to her friend the Princess on the ground of her fifht wedding anniversery. As for Charlotte, think: the girl has no real or serious responsabilities in her life. She has nothing new to say whenever she's interviewed. Appearing on Vogue is just a way to draw attentions to her, since she has nothing else to account for her. It's just a way to please her ego, a simple matter of vanity.
She is a pretty young woman. I agree. She has a nice looking face, beautiful eyes, a sweet funny little nose, a classical profile. But she's pretty in a dollish way. She has a doll face, an ethereal, distant prettiness, not the down to earth, mature beauty, for instance, her mother had when she was 25. She's pretty, not beautiful, in the full sense of the word. As for her aristocratic background, when we come to think of it she's as aristocratic as Kate Middleton ( or her future children ); her maternal grandmother was a commoner, her greatgrandmother was the daughter of a waitress and her own father was a simple businessman without a drop of royal blood. So pretend to be a « REAL European aristocratic beauty » seems a bit pretensious, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom