The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #341  
Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 PM
lazuli's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post
I agree with you about the fake "intelectual pesona", but I don't see any problem with the glasses. Charlotte is short sighted. She's already been spotted with glasses when she was just a high school student.
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1497110...91894/name/n_a
and with a model similar to this one in New York, with Eugenie, when she was 17
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1497110...33153/name/n_a
And when she got her bac results:
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1497110...64994/name/n_a
I agree Trepstrep. i know she's shortsighted and i've seen her with glasses before. But she doesn't, normally, wear them, maybe she wears contact lenses. So why choosing such an occasion to use such a strinking model? It makes me feel that she's trying to make some sort of statement, as if she were composing a character and the glasses were somo kind of scenic element, as in the theatre... See what i mean?
__________________

  #342  
Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: moving, Spain
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
I agree Trepstrep. i know she's shortsighted and i've seen her with glasses before. But she doesn't, normally, wear them, maybe she wears contact lenses. So why choosing such an occasion to use such a strinking model? It makes me feel that she's trying to make some sort of statement, as if she were composing a character and the glasses were somo kind of scenic element, as in the theatre... See what i mean?
Yeah, I think you may be right. Till now, she'd only been spotted with glasses on candid pics. At school, travelling with friends. She always wears lenses on public ocasions... this sudden intelectual look, on this particular ocasion, is kind of suspect
__________________

  #343  
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
I agree Trepstrep. i know she's shortsighted and i've seen her with glasses before. But she doesn't, normally, wear them, maybe she wears contact lenses. So why choosing such an occasion to use such a strinking model? It makes me feel that she's trying to make some sort of statement, as if she were composing a character and the glasses were somo kind of scenic element, as in the theatre... See what i mean?
Or she could be like me who wore contact lenses when I was younger (teenager and young adult) because I hated my glasses and thought I looked better without them, and than I started to wear my glasses during the day and my contacts at night when I was socializing. Or the fact that I rarely wear my contacts at all now as a result of the difference between the prescription of the glasses and/or the lenses. They are totally off and know in the same league. I, for example, can't see or read things close up when I have on my lenses but I can with my glasses.

That could be one of the reasons why Charlotte has on her glasses.

My main point: there are currently other and more legitimate reasons why Charlotte is wearing glasses other than trying to appear smart.
__________________
.

  #344  
Old 10-09-2011, 03:37 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,865
Why we are trying to have deep reasons to all her actions? The reason might just be that it was funny! %Stop all thinking that this girl came in the world to satisfy US. It is very boring and unfair for her. We do not elect her we are not paying for her. I know many people who do not care about the Monacos and simply they do not loose time with them. But stop criticizing them just because they are not as per our personnal ideals (intellectual, sporting, with or without botox etc etc). They are simple people with mistakes like everyone but they are not obliged toward US to be as per OUR dreams.
  #345  
Old 10-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ..., United States
Posts: 608
We don't crtizice Charlotte because we expect something from her. I don't expect anything from her. I don't know her, she's just a pic in a magazine, on on the web. But it's normal that we analyse a pic, an interview. And this is normal that we wonder why she suddenly wears glasses for a pic (a posed pic, which means that if she really wanted to, she could have said "wait a minute, I take off my glasses for the pic!" as most of people do - as I do) and I personnally think that she wants to play that role of an intellectual girl.
I totally agree with Lazuli post: Charlotte is still searching for who she is. She tried to be a journalist, with an internship. She tried to be a rider, and for a little while she shouted everywhere that her life was all about horses. And now she's trying to be an intellectual. And she thinks that with glasses, with an interview in which she shouts her love for Seneque and Ciceron, everybody is going to kneel in front of her amazing intelligence and culture, but she's wrong. I live in an "intellectual" world, I practice horse riding. And to me, there's nothing more funny than somebody who pretends being the best without having worked for it. She doesn't impress me, she did a bit when she was at school: I thought that she was beautiful (and she still is) and that she was clever, I also liked the fact that she was horse riding, that she seemed to be a very down to earth girl. But she's not anymore, and she appears to be a quite shallow girl. Riding in GCT won't make her a good rider. Pretending reading ancient philosophers/wearing glasses won't make her an intellectual. Signing a newspaper won't make her queen of medias.
I don't know what she wants to do in her life, and I doubt that she does. I hope that she's going to find it and to do it with sincerity. I wish her the best, but for the moment, she appears to me as a girl a bit lost in what she thinks people are waiting from her, as Caroline's daughter. She's not old at all, but at 25, she could have a more precise idea of what she wants to do. She's not a very young girl anymore, and she seems more lost than ever, than when she was younger, because she "does" a lot of things, says that she's fond of avery thing, but at the end, she doen't do anything seriously.




EDIT: I just found a comment on ParisMatch website (on this page), I hope moderators won't mind if I post it. It's someone who talks about Charlotte, because this one's friends met her.
Elle m'insupporte et ce depuis longtemps!! J'avais une amie petite qui l'avait dans sa classe à St Remy, alors oui elle se débrouillait bien en cours, il y avait un prof particulier qui venait le soir pour compléter son éducation.J'ai une amie qui a été avec elle en prépa à Fénélon, elles ne s'aimaient pas vraiment, grand mépris pour la garde-robe que certains "pauvres" osaient porter.
First, it is about Charlotte in Saint Remy: she is said to be clever, to have good results, but it is also said that she had a personnal teacher who came at her home each evening to complete her education. Source: a friend of the person who wrote the comment, and who was at school with Charlotte.
Secondly, it is about Charlotte at Fenelon. The person says that he/she has a friend who was at Fenelon with Charlotte, and that they didn't like each other. That Charlotte looked contemptuously at clothes that some "poor people" (I'm just translating) dared to wear. Source: a friend, again, of the person who wrote the comment.
What is said about Charlotte at Fenelon corresponds to what my friend (at Fenelon with Charlotte too) told me. I thought that it could interest some of the members of this forum, who ask (as I do) for true anecdotes about Charlotte. This is just a point of vue of one person. But what I think (and I believe that there is a bit of truth in this testimony) is that now, with internet, it is more and more difficult for public persons to create a perfect image of themselves. Charlotte tried to appear as a perfect smart girl, and this would have worked a few years ago, but in our days it is not possible anymore.
  #346  
Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: moving, Spain
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
all thinking that this girl came in the world to satisfy US. It is very boring and unfair for her (..). But stop criticizing them just because they are not as per our personnal ideals (intellectual, sporting, with or without botox etc etc). They are simple people with mistakes like everyone but they are not obliged toward US to be as per OUR dreams.
I'm sorry but I can't agree with you at all.
First because I don't think that anybody here is expeting her to satisfy us. We talk about her because she is the public eye, and everybody loves gossiping.

Second, because she's not anymore a poor 16 year old girl who wants to live her life and even if she avoids paparazzi they find her, and catch pics of her when going to school or meeting friends. Criticizing such a girl would be cruel and stupid. It must be awful to be an insecure teenager and have people in the internet talking about you, and criticizing your weight, you fashion sense, your friends, your family or your academic achievements.
Even when she was sponsored by Marionnaud and she was using her pretty face and her fame to get money, as a teenager, she still was underage and her choices were't really hers. I think Caroline should have been a bit more careful then, but, I guess it is difficult to always make the right choice. I would never say of a young girl who wants to live a private life that she has an ugly body, or an ugly boyfriend, or awful fashion sense, and I can't understand how people can say nasty things about little pretty Alexandra.

But Charlotte is a grown woman who willingly puts herself on the spotlight, not because she attends fashion parties and first rows, but because she willingly appears on the cover of widely reade magazines. When you appear on the cover of Vogue, and give interviews to Elle, Hello, and such, and show yourself to the world as a beauty and a fashion icon, you MUST expect that everyfashion choice you'll make in the future will be scrutinized and criticized.
And it's not only the nice pics. She gives interviews whose only point is to tell the world how hard working she is, how intelletual and how she is devoted to horse riding, and how she cares about the environement (while she is always catching planes, hahaha). She willingly participates in a silly circus, and welcomes the atention and allows all that sycophantic pieces to be published
Charlotte willingly plays the game because she wants the world to know how pretty and fashionable and cool she is. Well, the world has a right to talk about her fashion choices. And she can't complain.

Third. It's true, I don't pay he, she doesn't cost me a euro. BUT she makes money with her public appearences. Gucci pays her and helps paying her expensive horses and her competitions. When she attends a Gucci event she is doing business not leading a private life. It's not all candid and innocent on her part. She makes money on her public image, I talk about her public image.

Also, maybe I don't pay her or her family directly, but they certainly cost me money! His uncle doesn't rule a country.. Monaco is a private company isntalled on french floor that allows many people to avoid paying taxes. People who should pay their taxes in Europe, and whose money should legally revert on public health and education, hide their fortunes in Monaco. The french and european goverments allows it to continue because they are too many hidden interests, because too many rich peopel would complain, and stop financing politicians, and such, but the existence of Monaco is a european shame. Albert and his family are robbing us all from money that should revert on the population of europe, european politicians are robbing us all by allowing them to exists, and by supporting her family private company (a.k.a. principality of Monaco) Charlotte is contributing to it. Some of the money she uses to buy bags, horses and expensive holydays, should have been used on new hospitals, roads, and schools, so, yes, in some way, she costs money.
  #347  
Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,457
Charlotte is wearing glasses for 1 reason. Gucci is pushing their eyeglass line. She wears Gucci clothing, watches, handbags, luggage. She works for Gucci! Monaco is on Monaco land, not French land. The Grimaldi line has died out twice and the citizens elected them to remain in power after the French revolution. The Monagasques obviously want the current royal family as their rulers, not France. French people living in Monaco pay French taxes. Even if they become a citizen of Monaco the family has to continue paying French taxes for 3 generations. I think the tax treaty has been in effect since the 1960s and the banking law on reporting assets to France at least since the 1990s. French people and anyone else living in Monaco (including citizens of Monaco) also have to pay value added (corporate tax) to France if over 25% of their product is exported outside of Monaco. Monaco is not really a tax haven. It is the laws of the individual countries that cause the problem. eg. All US citizens have to pay US income tax no matter what country they live in. In England the law is that if you are outside the country 10 months a year you don't have to pay English income tax. Monaco only has 36,00 residents so it's not like a foreign country can't chase down tax cheats there. It's just easier for foreign countries to blame their own incompetence on little Monaco.
  #348  
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 126
Trepstep I SO agree with you ! I second every word !
  #349  
Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ..., United States
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Charlotte is wearing glasses for 1 reason. Gucci is pushing their eyeglass line. She wears Gucci clothing, watches, handbags, luggage. She works for Gucci! Monaco is on Monaco land, not French land. The Grimaldi line has died out twice and the citizens elected them to remain in power after the French revolution. The Monagasques obviously want the current royal family as their rulers, not France. French people living in Monaco pay French taxes. Even if they become a citizen of Monaco the family has to continue paying French taxes for 3 generations. I think the tax treaty has been in effect since the 1960s and the banking law on reporting assets to France at least since the 1990s. French people and anyone else living in Monaco (including citizens of Monaco) also have to pay value added (corporate tax) to France if over 25% of their product is exported outside of Monaco. Monaco is not really a tax haven. It is the laws of the individual countries that cause the problem. eg. All US citizens have to pay US income tax no matter what country they live in. In England the law is that if you are outside the country 10 months a year you don't have to pay English income tax. Monaco only has 36,00 residents so it's not like a foreign country can't chase down tax cheats there. It's just easier for foreign countries to blame their own incompetence on little Monaco.
FanofMonaco, I know who you are!!! You say that you're american, but it's not true, you must be some of Prince Albert's lawyer to write such things!! I can't believe my eyes...
  #350  
Old 10-09-2011, 01:56 PM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,865
I m sorry but i think we push the philosophy too far. Charlote creates so much interest because shegrand daughter and daughter of two icons and she hasthe chsnce to be pretty herself. But she belongs to the "people" field and she stays there. The mags with her family SELL anx gucci zells. it is hypocrite to say that monaco costs money. in thids case we can abolish monaco but also switzerlan luxembourg and lichtenstein
. The monaco family are selling dreamand this is the reason peoe areinteresting on them. if charlotte was studying andafterthat worming 8-5 she would not selland gucciwas notgoingtohave her as imege. but i think people who disagree with this image have to stopgetting into Trf not bying magazines andnever comment
  #351  
Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM
sugarbaby318's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Charlotte is wearing glasses for 1 reason. Gucci is pushing their eyeglass line. She wears Gucci clothing, watches, handbags, luggage. She works for Gucci! Monaco is on Monaco land, not French land. The Grimaldi line has died out twice and the citizens elected them to remain in power after the French revolution. The Monagasques obviously want the current royal family as their rulers, not France. French people living in Monaco pay French taxes. Even if they become a citizen of Monaco the family has to continue paying French taxes for 3 generations. I think the tax treaty has been in effect since the 1960s and the banking law on reporting assets to France at least since the 1990s. French people and anyone else living in Monaco (including citizens of Monaco) also have to pay value added (corporate tax) to France if over 25% of their product is exported outside of Monaco. Monaco is not really a tax haven. It is the laws of the individual countries that cause the problem. eg. All US citizens have to pay US income tax no matter what country they live in. In England the law is that if you are outside the country 10 months a year you don't have to pay English income tax. Monaco only has 36,00 residents so it's not like a foreign country can't chase down tax cheats there. It's just easier for foreign countries to blame their own incompetence on little Monaco.
This is a very informative post FanofMonaco. I didn't know all that. Thanks!
  #352  
Old 10-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,457
I can assure you I was born and have always lived in the US. No one would lie about being from the midwest; NYC or LA maybe, but not the country.

I have to admit LovelyKate I have wondered the same about you. Your English is very good.So is TrepStep's. I wish I could say the same about my French.
  #353  
Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
Why are some of you so harsh as to say she "pretends" to be an intellectual? If you are a journalist and have to ask her about her passions, what would you ask about? Horses and reading!! And if she´s read the classics and these are some of her favourite books, why can´t she say so? She´s not giving interviews all days, some of them are taken form the same source, that´s why they sound similar.
Why such a fuss about wearing glasses?
And well, the planes reference was very funny. I suppose Greenpeace activists still travel by ship.
  #354  
Old 10-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: moving, Spain
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
And well, the planes reference was very funny. I suppose Greenpeace activists still travel by ship.
No, but they travel by train, unless absolutely necessary. And they certainly don't take several flights a week to attend fashion parties while promoting silly bamboo bags.

http://www.enn.com/top_stories/article/6772
http://weblog.greenpeace.org/makingw...te_change.html
Travel | Greenpeace
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Heathrow.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I can assure you I was born and have always lived in the US. No one would lie about being from the midwest; NYC or LA maybe, but not the country.

I have to admit LovelyKate I have wondered the same about you. Your English is very good.So is TrepStep's. I wish I could say the same about my French.
That's very nice of you but I know I make so many grammar mistakes!
  #355  
Old 10-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach, United States
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco
Charlotte is wearing glasses for 1 reason. Gucci is pushing their eyeglass line.
LOL .. This is probably the most realistic justification, to be completely honest.
  #356  
Old 10-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ..., United States
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I can assure you I was born and have always lived in the US. No one would lie about being from the midwest; NYC or LA maybe, but not the country.

I have to admit LovelyKate I have wondered the same about you. Your English is very good.So is TrepStep's. I wish I could say the same about my French.
Ooow, you're so nice!! You make me blush... I'm very touched by what you wrote about my pratice of english, because I'm convinced that I always make a lot of mistakes!! Thank you: here is a little flower, just for you, to thank you for kindness!
  #357  
Old 10-09-2011, 06:58 PM
ladyromanov's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ..., Mexico
Posts: 192
Charlotte tries to do many things!! she wants to do everything perfect and she doesn't focus in one thing, if you do too many things, you will do none of them properly, we have a perfect phrase for her: El que mucho Abarca poco aprieta this means something like: Jack of all trades, Master of none. I hope Charlotte focuses on one thing.

Another pic of ever bamboo.I don't like her shoes.
http://cdn.blogosfere.it/styleandfas...28Large%29.jpg
  #358  
Old 10-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,457
I agree. Maybe she is still trying to decide. It does appear that she is starting to delegate her magazine duties to others. That should free up some time. I don't think she spent as much time training , riding, this year as she claims. I would like to see her concentrate on that more. She has invested alot of money in horses. It would be a shame to stop now.
  #359  
Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I agree. Maybe she is still trying to decide. It does appear that she is starting to delegate her magazine duties to others. That should free up some time. I don't think she spent as much time training , riding, this year as she claims. I would like to see her concentrate on that more. She has invested alot of money in horses. It would be a shame to stop now.
She is not Zara Phillips. She could never make a career of that. It's a rather expensive, lavish, and I am sure enjoyable hobby BUT if she wants to force a work purpose, in life, she cannot spend all her time doing that. Neither is she a particularily good writer. If she wants to continue to work on this environmental, sustainability project, then great. But for my money, if she wants a career, and she doesn't need one, she should continue on in this line, or set up an organisation (she certainly has enough money), take herself back to school, and specialise in something (do a masters or whatever)
  #360  
Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach, United States
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I agree. Maybe she is still trying to decide. It does appear that she is starting to delegate her magazine duties to others. That should free up some time. I don't think she spent as much time training , riding, this year as she claims. I would like to see her concentrate on that more. She has invested alot of money in horses. It would be a shame to stop now.
Obviously, it would be amazing if she was a really self-driven person who wanted a career or to accomplish something for herself... instead of riding her family's coattails all the time. However, she hasn't really shown the personal drive/self-motivation needed to accomplish great things. (She didn't finish her degree, she doesn't devote her time properly to her horses, her journalism career is spasmodic, etc.) To me it looks like she really has no problem riding her family's coattails, which is disappointing.

Realistically, her family probably just wants her to marry and have lots of beautiful babies to provide even more PR tools and descendants for the Palace to use at their disposal. This was really all that was expected of Caroline as well.

So with that said... I think it's interesting to see that the marriage rumors are starting. She's 25, she's been in a relationship for a few years, it seems like it's time. In fact, I'm surprised there hasn't been MORE speculation.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warm Moments Between Royals - Part 2 LadyLeana Royal Life and Lifestyle 2914 Yesterday 05:25 PM
Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012 An Ard Ri Prince Friso, Princess Mabel and Family 1489 07-24-2013 09:58 PM
Prince Albert and Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 2: March 2012 - March 2013 iceflower Current Events Archive 700 04-01-2013 06:31 AM
Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 8: May 2010 - June 2012 Marengo Current Events Archive 843 06-13-2012 05:55 AM
It's A Girl for Victoria and Daniel! Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary: February 23, 2012 dazzling Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 1325 04-20-2012 09:30 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duarte duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece jean kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week pierre casiraghi prince bernhard prince charles princess charlene outfits princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion royal royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises