The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Charlotte's been on the cover of French Elle and French Vogue within the last 12 months. Are you saying French women don't read those magazines anymore? That French women no longer follow fashion? Amazing.
You know, Vogue and Elle are barely bought by always the same person and I'm sure the two together don't do 10% of the selling. Magazines like Voici, Closer, Public are the kind of magazine which sell here. She doesn't even have a wikipedia in France. I'm not saying she is not famous. She is famous with royalwatchers but the majority of the people here doesn't even know she exists.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire

My blog about Pauline
My channel about the Monaco princely family
Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Courtier

^She's a bit famous, of course, for a little person. I can assure you than magazines sell other women to french people: lots of actresses, even more actresses that princesses. And as princesses are concerned, it is Catherine who is the most talked about. French women are interested by this middle-class girl who married Diana's son. Point de Vue often talks about Mary, Maxima, or Letizia: strong and classy women, who are admired by lots of people.
I would add that Charlotte didn't appear on Elle's cover: she was just evoked on the cover, nothing more. Vogue is too expensive, and too specialized in fashion for french women. I don't talk about fashionistas, but about french women who have a job, a family, and run all the day after the time. If Charlotte is on a cover, it will be on a "tabloid" (I say tabloid to make an opposition to fashion magazines) where we will see pictures of her at a party: this is not good for her image. She's often presented as a socialite - until her "intellectual" interview in Vogue. But not a lot of people are going to read it... If you want to verify what I say, go on french forums, and read comments about Charlotte. You would be very surprised, people don't like her at all.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Courtier

Video of Vogue Fashion Night, Charlotte appears at 1h. She doesn't seem at ease at all, I wonder why she came (maybe because she's on this month cover). She always shakes her head, when she talks to someone, or listens to someone, it's something I already noticed, I think that she must be really shy.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Courtier

^ Thanks for the video. I also noticed her shyness. She kept trying to move away from the camera. I don't really blame her. I'm a bit shy around people I don't know as well, and I don't think I would be comfortable in a situation like that with a camera waiting to capture my every move.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Courtier

^Yes, but this presence of camera was a bit normal, at a Vogue party. I understand her shiness, but her behaving (avoiding the camera) was a bit childish. I think that things could be more simple: you don't like cameras, you don't go to Vogue Fashion night. Charlotte is a very ambiguous one, she wants more privacy, and she poses for Vogue, so she's obliged to go to this party in which she obviously wasn't at ease... I don't understand everything!! I'm 100% with her when she turns her head while walking in the street with Alex, but why all this operation of communication which leads her to be more and more under the light? It's strange.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

Going to these events is part of her job for Monaco. Wealthy people are Monaco's market niche. You see her at fashion events, art openings and equestrian competitions. The kinds of things wealthy people go to. Potential customers for Monaco. The same reason she gives interviews to Vogue and Elle. Those are the magazines wealthy women read. Princess Caroline did the same type of thing until Charlotte took over.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Courtier

More pics of Vogue fashion night:
- the car in which Charlotte arrived
- back view of her dress (and of her hair-do)
- back view of her dress (and of her hair-do) II (very bad posture!)
- Charlotte leaving (funny face and thumb up!)
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

I see what you are saying LovelyKate about Vogue being too expensive. It's the same here in the US. It just surprised me because I always think of the French as being so much more into fashion that they would be willing to pay the higher price. Then again, with the bad economies everywhere, no one can afford such frivolities anymore.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I see what you are saying LovelyKate about Vogue being too expensive. It's the same here in the US. It just surprised me because I always think of the French as being so much more into fashion that they would be willing to pay the higher price. Then again, with the bad economies everywhere, no one can afford such frivolities anymore.
^ Totally agree with you. With bad economies, people worry more about their problems than about fashion. I think that french women are still interested by fashion, but this doesn't imply that they follow "haute couture". My friends and I love talking about dresses, shoes, or bags, but we only go to affordable shops. The fashion in wich Charlotte evolves, the fashion she wants to promote, only a little part of people can afford it!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyKate View Post
Video of Vogue Fashion Night, Charlotte appears at 1h. She doesn't seem at ease at all, I wonder why she came (maybe because she's on this month cover). She always shakes her head, when she talks to someone, or listens to someone, it's something I already noticed, I think that she must be really shy.
From that short clip she comes off as being very gracious but naturally shy and wary of cameras. French Vogue is really capitalizing on their relationship with her lately! It must be the doing of Emmanuelle Alt, the new Editor of Vogue Paris.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:53 AM
Courtier

^ Yes Emmanuelle Alt has been very criticised, compared a lot to Karine R-R recently. So having succeded in making Charlotte pose for an ed in Vogue is Alt's first moment of glory: that's why she was stuck to Charlotte during all this fashion night!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Commoner

Quote:
^ Yes Emmanuelle Alt has been very criticised, compared a lot to Karine R-R recently. So having succeded in making Charlotte pose for an ed in Vogue is Alt's first moment of glory: that's why she was stuck to Charlotte during all this fashion night!
LOL! that's funny.. it always seems like everyone wants to jump into the background of a photo or video with Charlotte.

I think it's a mutually-beneficial relationship between Charlotte & Vogue. Charlotte adds a certain social capital that no other celebrity or model really can and in return she gets Monaco/herself publicity in a publication with widespread influence. I mean Charlotte is certainly famous, but on a global scale she is still kind of a micro-celebrity, no?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Serene Highness

I would agree that she appears quite shy, but she has a very charming and engaging manner about her. A very nice quality is that she really seems to listen when people speak.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Commoner

Quote:
^She's a bit famous, of course, for a little person. I can assure you than magazines sell other women to french people: lots of actresses, even more actresses that princesses. And as princesses are concerned, it is Catherine who is the most talked about. French women are interested by this middle-class girl who married Diana's son. Point de Vue often talks about Mary, Maxima, or Letizia: strong and classy women, who are admired by lots of people.
I would add that Charlotte didn't appear on Elle's cover: she was just evoked on the cover, nothing more. Vogue is too expensive, and too specialized in fashion for french women. I don't talk about fashionistas, but about french women who have a job, a family, and run all the day after the time. If Charlotte is on a cover, it will be on a "tabloid" (I say tabloid to make an opposition to fashion magazines) where we will see pictures of her at a party: this is not good for her image. She's often presented as a socialite - until her "intellectual" interview in Vogue. But not a lot of people are going to read it... If you want to verify what I say, go on french forums, and read comments about Charlotte. You would be very surprised, people don't like her at all.
I would like to read these forums. Could you provide links, please?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Courtier

Hello an, I have no time for the moment but I promise you to send you some links as soon as possible!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Several things strike me in the video. When Charlotte greets somebody, she has a kind of reflexive little bow of the head, kind of like little German girls were taught to curtsey almost half a century ago, except here it's with her head, not her knees. She is much more delicate, youthful, and refined-looking than anybody else here. She doesn't have the jaded and bored look the models seem to favor. She stands alone sometimes, and nobody seems to dare go talk to her. She seems very gracious, not bored, but shy. I'd almost say passive, except that she seems to be an encouraging, respectful listener, and that's an active skill. It's so good to see her so classy in an environment, which, I daresay, seems to teeter toward the coarse. (From listening to the reporters' language).
Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Hello an, I have no time for the moment but I promise you to send you some links as soon as possible!
I know what Forums you refer to, mostly they are ParisMatch.com or Nice Matin.

I am surprised at how negatively she is perceived by some people in France.

As for links, why bother when you can simply "Google" the information....
Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I would agree that she appears quite shy, but she has a very charming and engaging manner about her. A very nice quality is that she really seems to listen when people speak.
Yes, i've noticed that too.
She is so shy it's kinda cute
Old 09-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Aristocracy

I watched the "Charlotte segment" of the vid that LovelyKate shared, and the way she bowed her head as she shook hands was so Grace Kelly. I've seen how Grace lowered her head when she shook hands or acknowledged someone (like when she gave Ernest Borgnine his Oscar in 1956), and it is the exact graceful action that Charlotte did.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtatum View Post
I watched the "Charlotte segment" of the vid that LovelyKate shared, and the way she bowed her head as she shook hands was so Grace Kelly. I've seen how Grace lowered her head when she shook hands or acknowledged someone (like when she gave Ernest Borgnine his Oscar in 1956), and it is the exact graceful action that Charlotte did.
Yep. Andrea does that too. I guess it's in the genes