Charlotte Casiraghi and Family Current Events Part 42: January 2018 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA: The lady sitting on Charlotte's right is beautiful. I wonder was she part of the cast of Le Brio? (Dimitri's nominated film)

Camelia Jordana is indeed an actress in Le Brio (won a Cesar award for her role, if i'm not mistaken)

I don't think that's fair. In my opinion the members of this forums speak more often about Charlotte endeavours (philosophie, horse riding, etc) that about her looks.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong about talking about the way she dresses or her beauty when she herself promotes that side of her by attending fashion shows or appearing in fashion magazines showing herself off or promoting make up.
It is not as if she was a career woman who didn't have links with the beauty industry. In that case I would find sexist to focus on her looks in such a way.
But it is not Charlotte's case.
She makes money out of her looks. She's been acceting covers on fashion magazines for ever, even when she didn't have anything to talk about. And she's been making money from promoting make up and clothes for ages, only on the base of her pretty face and family conections.
She's not been offered those contracts because of what's she's done, but because of who her family is and how she looks. She knows it and she accepts it. So, I think that it is perfectly fair that we talk about her looks as long as we do it in a respectful way.

About her writing... Well, I can't talk much since I haven't read the book. I've read, though, some philosophical texts she's published in magazines, some time ago, and I can say that I didn't like it at all. It was pretentious, confusing, and badly written, so, based on that, I dont' feel like spending a single sou on her book even if the Maggiori bits are probably very good.

It's the same thing when she speaks. Whenever she's given an interview alongside Maggiori you can see all she's lacking and why she's still not ready to write a book. Maybe in the future, but not now.

When you listen to Maggiori, you understand everything he's saying. He is a prestigious philosopher, a doctor, someone who can manage as many references as he wants, and still he is clear, didactic, he reaches you, he manages to say a lot in an understandable way. When you listen to Charlotte, you feel that she doesn't say anything. She is always pretentious, she speaks throught high concepts, she's extremely theoretical, exactly like a student who wants to show off in front of her teacher and boast about all her reading. But everything she says sounds void, far away from real life, too intelecual and learned by heart, not elaborated on her own.
That's why I am not interesed in what she has to say. I've never heard her say anything remotely interesting as yet.

Also, I think that having her debating with Maggiori spoils the purpose of the book. I love the idea of a book about passions. And I would have loved to read Maggiori debating about it with someone of his own intellectual level. But with someone who did ONE year of Philosophy and that's all? Any real philo graduate with a maîtrisse could probably do better. At least she would have bottered to finish her studies and write a mémoire de recherche (an original research work). Charlotte hasn't even been able to do that.

I can understand the point of the book if it is done in a dialectical way, like the books of the greek philophers. If Charlotte's voice is used in that way, the thing may be not that bad. But if I have to read 300 pages full of long paragraphs of her confusing and theoretical blablabla, I pass.
I agree - I think there's varied discussion about Charlotte on this forum and it's fair enough to discuss her looks and fashion, especially given that she is a "muse" for Kering businesses.

I am interested in her book - but I agree that she can come off a bit pretentious when she's discussing philosophy or literature etc. I do however think it is a genuine interest on her part. And if her sharing that interest through her organisation makes it seem a little less dry to a wider public good for her. The seminars seem to get a respectable turnout.

In the TV interview Robert Maggiori said it looks at themes that aren't currently so fashionable in philosophical circles so it could be interesting from that point of view.

Is he now officially divorced?

He's been divorced since the end of the summer of 2017, IIRC. Anyway the press needs to quit speculating and predicting a wedding for these two. Both Closer and Point de Vue were salivating for a Dec 2017 wedding in Monaco that never happened!

ETA: Both "El Mundo" and "Europa" are reporting the news of Charlotte's engagement as fact. Color me surprised...I was thinking she would not marry anytime soon!

www.europapress.es/.../noticia-carlota-casiraghi-dimitri-rassam-cam

www.elmundo.es › Inicio

Last edited:

A Philo Dinner with Charlotte Casiraghi and Robert Maggiori - C to You - 05/03/2018

I don't find very belivable the news about her engagement. If you are to believe them Dimitri proposed during a trip to Paris last weekend and someone who knew it told Vanity Fair???

1. A trip to Paris? They live in Paris. Hard to believe someone so misinformed.
2. Dimitri proposed? I am told that in America men still propose marriage to women, but that's something that nobody does in Europe (well, some corny people who have seen it in american movies do it but it is nor normal at all). Men don't ceremonialy propose, we are not in the 19th century. Men and women talk about getting married and they do it, but in a private, understated way. There is no surprise ring! It something that simply it's not done. The same way that the concept of being engaged doesn't exist here. Nodoby ever says "I'm engaged". You have a boyfriend and the you are married, that's all.
3.So, Dimitri proposed privately to Charlotte and even before their families knew they inmediately told someone so not close to them, that this person inmediately told the press. Aha.

I think that the press simply know that it looks like a serious relationship and if they keep repeating that they are going to get married soon at some point they'll get it right.

Men def propose with a ring in Europe. I don't really understand your reasoning as him being French having anything to do with perhaps not proposing with a ring, or propose at all. Louis Ducruet certainly didn't follow your theory for example.

Has you ever meet anyone in real life who got a proposal the american way? The ring and the "do you want to marry me"??? Because not only I have never known anyone who did that but everybody I know thinks its ridiculous and corny.

I didn't know about Louis Ducruet. I've just googled it, and I find it absolutely ridiculous. But I also see that the girlfriend is vietnamese. I don't know. It's another culture. Maybe they got more influence from the USA over there and she fantazised with the idea and thought it was important.

But, come on, you are from the Netherlands. It's not about being french. In your country (or in mine), normal people with a sense of what is appropiate, don't do such things either. Actually, most young people don't even get married...

I don't know her but Charlotte doesn't strike me as someone ridiculous and corny. She seems much more natural than that.

Paranoia, I can assure you that many people in America young and not so young1) propose the way Louis Ducruet did and b) still get married and take great joy in doing so.

And they are all quite "normal".:cool:

I personally find Louis to have great taste and a good sense of romance. His girlfriend is lucky.

Prince Harry proposed to his girlfriend in the "ridiculous and corny" manner, as did Prince Felix of Luxembourg. So I reject your idea that it's unheard of in Europe. Perhaps it's just unheard of in the circles you move in, which is another matter entirely.

As for Charlotte and Dimitri, they live in Paris but as photos demonstrate they are constantly on the move. They also spend weekends in the country at Barbizon. Maybe he proposed, maybe it's bogus. My bet is that the news will not be confirmed by Caroline or the Palace even if he did.

Last edited:
Proposing marriage doesn't mean a big romantic gesture - it just means asking/suggesting marriage. Whether that is accompanied by flowers and fireworks or is just a private discussion doesn't mean it isn't a proposal.

In the UK, France and Spain - all places I've lived - the big down on one knee moment is alive and well but obviously not for everyone. And in the UK people do say they're "engaged".

Marie Chevallier is French as far as I know - her mother is of Vietnamese origin. I thought Louis proposal sweet if showy. They were happy and wanted to share it with everyone.

As to Charlotte and Dimitri I'll wait for some slightly more official source but I hope it's true. It isn't so farfetched that someone at Vanity Fair might know - the staff have good connections with "society" and various members of the Casiraghi "gang" have featured in its various editions.

Has you ever meet anyone in real life who got a proposal the american way? The ring and the "do you want to marry me"??? Because not only I have never known anyone who did that but everybody I know thinks its ridiculous and corny.

I didn't know about Louis Ducruet. I've just googled it, and I find it absolutely ridiculous. But I also see that the girlfriend is vietnamese. I don't know. It's another culture. Maybe they got more influence from the USA over there and she fantazised with the idea and thought it was important.

But, come on, you are from the Netherlands. It's not about being french. In your country (or in mine), normal people with a sense of what is appropiate, don't do such things either. Actually, most young people don't even get married...

I don't know her but Charlotte doesn't strike me as someone ridiculous and corny. She seems much more natural than that.
?
I'm sorry but literally everyone I know who got married and had a wedding that wasn't on monday when getting married is free, went the traditional route with proposal and ring. Hell, my brother proposed to his wife in Italy where he wrote his proposal in the sand and popped out a ring.

I continue to fail to understand why you find the idea of such a proposal happening amongst European couples such a foreign and non-European thing to do. It doesn't have to be a big gesture in public, but that doesn't mean European women aren't getting a surprise proposal. And it's not considered distasteful or inappropriate either.

I actually agree with paranoia. The "proposal" on your knees with a ring is terribly American to Europeans (maybe Southern Europeans?). I think Hollywood movies have made this type of proposal more common, but, yes, it is considered "corny" and somewhat ridiculous. Normally, a couple discusses their future together and they decide to get married together. In some cases, the fiance' then offers a ring as a token of their engagement but in a very natural way. I've known American women who waited years (!) for their boyfriend to propose and never approached the subject!

With regard to Louis Ducruet, they both spent time studying in the US so maybe they were influenced by that? I thought the picture was cringe-worthy...I didn't need to see that. Especially him dressed in white...

Last edited:
I actually agree with paranoia. The "proposal" on your knees with a ring is terribly American to Europeans (maybe Southern Europeans?).

Not this European - sorry. I know plenty of people who have had the big proposal and plenty who just discussed it and even a couple of women did the proposing.

It's still a decision made together whoever or however the proposal is made.

I think that the press simply know that it looks like a serious relationship and if they keep repeating that they are going to get married soon at some point they'll get it right.

Exactly, even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Not this European - sorry. I know plenty of people who have had the big proposal and plenty who just discussed it and even a couple of women did the proposing.

It's still a decision made together whoever or however the proposal is made.

Yes, in fact I'm beginning to make a distinction between France + Southern Europe (Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece) and Northern Europe. I assure you, in the former, "American-style" proposals are seen in a funny way, even though, as I also said, they're becoming more common.This I believe is due to Hollywood culture spreading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wishing Charlotte the very best. :flowers: She has always struck me as a shy, insecure, lonely young woman. Very polite and respectful and well brought up, but kinda sad, jmho.

Will they annonce the engagement before the Bal de la Rose ?.
A wonderful come back for Carole Bouquet.

Just having a little fun, it's Robert Maggiori in the year Charlotte was born: https://imgur.com/LF7Ufz4 (Getty)

And by the way, I find it funny that anyone would generalize what "people in Europe" and "people in America" do regarding marriage proposals. I think people do what they want, how they want, individually. Some people are corny romantics, and that's ok. :)

Last edited:
:previous: Are those just people off the street approaching her for selfies??!:ohmy: And she's agreeing to it no less!!

She looks so relaxed and happy, not to mention beautiful without a stitch of makeup on.

And I love her jeans and boots.?

I don't think that's fair. In my opinion the members of this forums speak more often about Charlotte endeavours (philosophie, horse riding, etc) that about her looks.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong about talking about the way she dresses or her beauty when she herself promotes that side of her by attending fashion shows or appearing in fashion magazines showing herself off or promoting make up.
It is not as if she was a career woman who didn't have links with the beauty industry. In that case I would find sexist to focus on her looks in such a way.
But it is not Charlotte's case.
She makes money out of her looks. She's been acceting covers on fashion magazines for ever, even when she didn't have anything to talk about. And she's been making money from promoting make up and clothes for ages, only on the base of her pretty face and family conections.
She's not been offered those contracts because of what's she's done, but because of who her family is and how she looks. She knows it and she accepts it. So, I think that it is perfectly fair that we talk about her looks as long as we do it in a respectful way.

About her writing... Well, I can't talk much since I haven't read the book. I've read, though, some philosophical texts she's published in magazines, some time ago, and I can say that I didn't like it at all. It was pretentious, confusing, and badly written, so, based on that, I dont' feel like spending a single sou on her book even if the Maggiori bits are probably very good.

It's the same thing when she speaks. Whenever she's given an interview alongside Maggiori you can see all she's lacking and why she's still not ready to write a book. Maybe in the future, but not now.

When you listen to Maggiori, you understand everything he's saying. He is a prestigious philosopher, a doctor, someone who can manage as many references as he wants, and still he is clear, didactic, he reaches you, he manages to say a lot in an understandable way. When you listen to Charlotte, you feel that she doesn't say anything. She is always pretentious, she speaks throught high concepts, she's extremely theoretical, exactly like a student who wants to show off in front of her teacher and boast about all her reading. But everything she says sounds void, far away from real life, too intelecual and learned by heart, not elaborated on her own.
That's why I am not interesed in what she has to say. I've never heard her say anything remotely interesting as yet.

Also, I think that having her debating with Maggiori spoils the purpose of the book. I love the idea of a book about passions. And I would have loved to read Maggiori debating about it with someone of his own intellectual level. But with someone who did ONE year of Philosophy and that's all? Any real philo graduate with a maîtrisse could probably do better. At least she would have bottered to finish her studies and write a mémoire de recherche (an original research work). Charlotte hasn't even been able to do that.

I can understand the point of the book if it is done in a dialectical way, like the books of the greek philophers. If Charlotte's voice is used in that way, the thing may be not that bad. But if I have to read 300 pages full of long paragraphs of her confusing and theoretical blablabla, I pass.

Could not agree more with all these you have written above! My thoughts exactly!

The cost of the book Is increased. I had already bought it for 16 and change, but now I see it is increased to $18.83.

Honestly, I think they would sell better if the price is lowered. That's a bit steep for a book on philosophy, given that the best ones are already in the public domain and can be read for free! :whistling:

I will certainly never buy her book as Miss Charlotte C is asking 150.000 euros damages to a magazine.

And by the way, I find it funny that anyone would generalize what "people in Europe" and "people in America" do regarding marriage proposals. I think people do what they want, how they want, individually. Some people are corny romantics, and that's ok. :)

I don't see why you find it funny. Culture and customs (even if not followed clearly by 100% of a people) are not funny. You might see the world in a relativistic way but it's not reality.

:previous: I think that's a bit harsh, Juliette2.

I think she meant it's wrong to lump people into stereotypes or categories based on culture, not that she saw humor literally. Quite the opposite.

I happen to agree with tatianacressida 100%.

I will certainly never buy her book as Miss Charlotte C is asking 150.000 euros damages to a magazine.
I can't see how the one has anything to do with the other.

Why is she seeking damages? What magazine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom