Charlotte Casiraghi And Athina Onassis Roussel

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
atinafan said:
I wish Athina all happiness. She deserves to be happy after losing her mother, who loved her dearly, at age 3; then followed by years of manipulation from Thiery instilling in her to hate everything that's greek, that was poor parenting. She'll always be part Greek and her wealth comes from Greece, so Thiery should have taught her to embrace Christina's culture. Hope Doda really has good intentions for her. I hate to see Athina end up the same path as her mother.

Hello Atinafan!

I read that Doda is trying to make Athina be more interested in Greece culture, after all she has a greek blood. He said that Aristoteles Onassis was a great man and she should have be proud of him and her greek roots. Something like that. I think it is a good influence, I don't understand why Athina almost never goes to Greece...

She wants to be at Greece team of Hipism at next olympics. (olympiade?) Sorrry, my english sucks today! Doda is considering to be part of Greece team too, - wich I regret, 'cause Braziliam team would miss him. ;)

Oh, and I don't like Thiery very much, I used to like Christina so much more! But that's only my opinion.

cheers

CasiraghiTrio said:
It is possible some of the Onassis people at the wedding included Aristotle's stepsister, Kallioi forgot-her-surname-at-the-moment. She seems to have a fairly good rapport with Athina. I saw that Rodrigo Pessoa was Doda's best man. So Sandrine was Athina's maid of honor. That's nice. How awkward for them to have Sandrine and maybe the other siblings there, but no Gaby, no Thierry. I am not very surprised Thierry was too bitter to show up, but I am a little surprised at Gaby's absence. But I suppose that would have been weird, for Gaby to show up without Thierry. The whole thing is very weird and very tragic. I wish they could reconcile and be a normal, happy clan. It's sad what kind of grief money causes. It divides people so much.
:(

I understand you point CasiraghiTrio, but to me, it's not the money itself causing problems -- people attach a certain value to 'having money' and 'being rich' -- like they attach alot of value to 'being royal'.

IMHO, having money (being rich) for alot of people, means likely having control over certain resources and in alot of cases, being 'free' of certain material concerns -- most people (I think) would love to be free of certain material concerns and also to have access to the best that the world has to offer of things in terms of enjoying material goods.

IMHO, it's people's own greed and selfishness and craving after money -- or better yet, those things that they think the money can get for them -- that is the cause of the grief and divides people, I think.

That's the sad part too -- if a cash billionaire was told his/her fortune was worth nothing today and forevermore and that instead, it would be the most valuable for him/her now to own a big pile of rocks, see how fast people would start all the schemes for who can get control of the biggest rock-pile, because that's where their values and attention would turn to...

IMO, people are the ones who make 'money' important -- money all by itself is nothing. People are the ones who give the problems...

Good point you made too:rolleyes: :p

I hope Athina has a happy life and I hope she made a good solid choice for herself.

Last edited:
atinafan said:
I wish Athina all happiness. She deserves to be happy after losing her mother, who loved her dearly, at age 3; then followed by years of manipulation from Thiery instilling in her to hate everything that's greek, that was poor parenting. She'll always be part Greek and her wealth comes from Greece, so Thiery should have taught her to embrace Christina's culture. Hope Doda really has good intentions for her. I hate to see Athina end up the same path as her mother.

I very much like these positive thoughts. I wonder where they are now for the honeymoon. In 2003, when they went to Thailand, it was speculated that that was the place where they'd like to spend their honeymoon. In the recent Vanity Fair article about Athina, it also said Athina and Doda were considering Thailand for the honeymoon.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I very much like these positive thoughts. I wonder where they are now for the honeymoon. In 2003, when they went to Thailand, it was speculated that that was the place where they'd like to spend their honeymoon. In the recent Vanity Fair article about Athina, it also said Athina and Doda were considering Thailand for the honeymoon.

Yes, I read that somewhere too that Thailand holds a very special place for these two newlyweds. It is said that Thailand is where Doda had proclaimed his love for Athina. So, perhaps it is where they are now. I really wish that they would release an official wedding photo. I'm sure Athina looks very pretty.

Jackie O. Monaco said:
Hello Atinafan!

I read that Doda is trying to make Athina be more interested in Greece culture, after all she has a greek blood. He said that Aristoteles Onassis was a great man and she should have be proud of him and her greek roots. Something like that. I think it is a good influence, I don't understand why Athina almost never goes to Greece...

She wants to be at Greece team of Hipism at next olympics. (olympiade?) Sorrry, my english sucks today! Doda is considering to be part of Greece team too, - wich I regret, 'cause Braziliam team would miss him. ;)

Oh, and I don't like Thiery very much, I used to like Christina so much more! But that's only my opinion.

cheers

Hello J. Monaco

That's good to hear. But, I hope that Doda is not trying to make her interested in her Greek culture only so the Onassis Foundation would let her control the remaining inheritance from her Grandpa setup in the name of her uncle, Alexander. I read that the Foundation has changed the by-laws to prevent her from becoming president of the Foundation when she turns 21 as she has no connection to Greece (not knowing anything about Greece and its people/language). That's where the big money lies worth over 1 billion. In any case, it is good that Athina is starting to learn something about her Greek roots.

To answer your question, Athina hardly ever stepped foot in Greece cuz she was under the control of her father who hated Stelios Papademetrius who Christina put in charge of managing Athina's inheritance. He filed suits after suits to gain control and challenge Christina's will from the Greek trustees without success. Good thing he didnt succeed. Can you imagine if he did?, he might have squandered it away before Athina turned 18. Aristotle trusted Stelios so much that he appointed him as trustee of the Onassis foundation, and to be Christina's defense lawyer and adviser. Christina had put the same trust in Stelios. I think Stelios did a great job. Too bad, he passed on recently. Otherwise, he would have been a good advisor to Athina. I read that he requested to be buried across overlooking the island of Skorpios where his former boss was laid to rest. He said he had great respect and admiration for Aristotle and had a special bond with him. There was an article about Stelios and on why the Onassis Foundation has become so successful and respected in Greece. Stelios son was interviewed and in it, he said that founder (Aristotle) had assigned first generation special/closest friends to manage the foundation. Aristotle did not include his relatives as trustees or something like that so as not to have conflict of interest. Christina had to work her way up before assuming the president of the Foundation. Later, she relinquish her position in favor of Stelios. Stelios son, who is now the current president of the foundation, said that even he has to start from the bottom and get the training before his father gave him the position of president of Onassis foundation. You could understand why they change the by-laws fearing Athina has no clue to run the foundation let alone know anything about Greece and its culture.

Last edited:
atinafan said:
Hello J. Monaco

That's good to hear. But, I hope that Doda is not trying to make her interested in her Greek culture only so the Onassis Foundation would let her control the remaining inheritance from her Grandpa setup in the name of her uncle, Alexander. I read that the Foundation has changed the by-laws to prevent her from becoming president of the Foundation when she turns 21 as she has no connection to Greece (not knowing anything about Greece and its people/language). That's where the big money lies worth over 1 billion. In any case, it is good that Athina is starting to learn something about her Greek roots.

To answer your question, Athina hardly ever stepped foot in Greece cuz she was under the control of her father who hated Stelios Papademetrius who Christina put in charge of managing Athina's inheritance. He filed suits after suits to gain control and challenge Christina's will from the Greek trustees without success. Good thing he didnt succeed. Can you imagine if he did, he might have squandered it away. Aristotle trusted Stelios so much that he appointed him as trustee of the Onassis foundation, and to be Christina's defense lawyer and adviser. Christina has put the same trust in Stelios. I think Stelios did a great job. Too bad, he passed on recently. Otherwise, he would have been a good advisor to Athina. I read that he requested to be buried across overlooking the island of Skorpios where his boss was laid to rest. He said he has great respect and admiration for Aristotle and had a special bond with him.

I dont get why she is so interested in heading the foundation. its funds are designated for helping worthy greek causes.

she wouldnt get to have any of the $$$ for herself. (except to cover foundation related expenses probably) she'd just be helping decide how to spend it in a country she has to date shown very little interest.

joining a greek equestrian team is a start but she seems pretty committed to building up a life in brazil for the time being.

pollyemma said:
I dont get why she is so interested in heading the foundation. its funds are designated for helping worthy greek causes.

she wouldnt get to have any of the $$$ for herself. (except to cover foundation related expenses probably) she'd just be helping decide how to spend it in a country she has to date shown very little interest.

joining a greek equestrian team is a start but she seems pretty committed to building up a life in brazil for the time being.

From what I understand, the Alexander Onassis Foundation controls the oil shipping business. Some of the profits from it are channeled through the Foundation to helping Greek causes for tax shelter. Perhaps, they're afraid that Athina might not use the profit from the shipping business to support Greek charities. If you're the president, you can pretty much do what you want and how you want the profits from the shipping business distributed or keep to yourself (which she probably wouldn't do anyway). She seems a nice gal.

Yes, right now Athina has Brazil as her home base. Perhaps, instead of benefiting Greek causes, she'll channel some to Brazilian causes. (??) Hence, the Foundation trustees seem bent on blocking her taking control at age 21. I think they'll use the tactics that she's not greek enough to head the foundation and that the foundation is setup in memory of Alexander Onassis and she is not the heir of Alexander...but only the heir of Christina (her mother's estate) therefore they are saying that she's not necessarily entitled to it.

Last edited:
atinafan said:
From what I understand, the Alexander Onassis Foundation controls the oil shipping business. Some of the profits from it are channeled through the Foundation to helping Greek causes for tax shelter. Perhaps, they're afraid that Athina might not use the profit from the shipping business to support Greek charities. If you're the president, you can pretty much do what you want and how you want the profits from the shipping business distributed or keep to yourself (which she probably wouldn't do anyway). She seems a nice gal.

Yes, right now Athina has Brazil as her home base. Perhaps, instead of benefiting Greek causes, she'll channel some to Brazilian causes. (??) Hence, the Foundation trustees seem bent on blocking her taking control at age 21. I think they'll use the tactics that she's not greek enough to head the foundation and that the foundation is setup in memory of Alexander Onassis and she is not the heir of Alexander...but only the heir of Christina (her mother's estate) therefore they are saying that she's not necessarily entitled to it.

I think now that Papadimitriou and his son, and other "greybeards" and their sons, have joined the foundation, they pretty much hope to elect one of themselves to be President. Even though Aristotle's Will specifies that only a descendant of his can be President, they are determined to disqualify Athina on some technicality and find some loophole because they want it for themselves. That is my perception.

atinafan said:

The problem that the Boards Foundation point out, is that Athina, not only has not greek culture, neither language nor religion (her mother in her testament, wished for her to learn greek, to be close to Greece and to be a real Greek Orthodox, all those impeached by Thierry), but that Athina has no culture at all. I mean, she even not finished school, she stopped at the age of 17, so how could she be able to manage such a big organization? and to understand and handle all these problems?. She may bee very clever, she is nice and keen on horses, but is that enough?? We should not forget that since this Board has been managing the Foundation, they increased it's fortune by 5 !!!
According to the Aristote Onassis testament, the President of the Board to BE ELIGIBLE has to be a member of the family, but it has to show the willing and the capacity of accomplishing such a task! It'is not an automatic right, only since you are from the family !!!
What they said is that up to now, Athina never showed any willing to understand the goals and the functionning of this foundation, she never met them at least the last 10 years, and even if she starts showing the interest, could she be able to???

That's the point, and this is first of all of Thierry's fault. In order to fully controle Athina, he did his utmost to make her feel completely foreign to any Greek feeling, against her mother's willings, and now she pays the price. The whole catastrophy was made by Thierry. What he did not expect is that Athina would show such a strong caracter to reject him immediately after she understood all her father's manipulation.

And we should not forget that the foundation's money belonged to Alexandros Onassis, Christina's deceased brother, not to Christina. Athina has not IMO any moral right to it, unless she really feels close to her mother's family and country, and this up to now.... she has to prove it.

Last edited:
fandesacs2003 said:

The problem that the Boards Foundation point out, is that Athina, not only has not greek culture, neither language nor religion (her mother in her testament, wished for her to learn greek, to be close to Greece and to be a real Greek Orthodox, all those impeached by Thierry), but that Athina has no culture at all. I mean, she even not finished school, she stopped at the age of 17, so how could she be able to manage such a big organization? and to understand and handle all these problems?. She may bee very clever, she is nice and keen on horses, but is that enough?? We should not forget that since this Board has been managing the Foundation, they increased it's fortune by 5 !!!
According to the Aristote Onassis testament, the President of the Board to BE ELIGIBLE has to be a member of the family, but it has to show the willing and the capacity of accomplishing such a task! It'is not an automatic right, only since you are from the family !!!
What they said is that up to now, Athina never showed any willing to understand the goals and the functionning of this foundation, she never met them at least the last 10 years, and even if she starts showing the interest, could she be able to???

That's the point, and this is first of all of Thierry's fault. In order to fully controle Athina, he did his utmost to make her feel completely foreign to any Greek feeling, against her mother's willings, and now she pays the price. The whole catastrophy was made by Thierry. What he did not expect is that Athina would show such a strong caracter to reject him immediately after she understood all her father's manipulation.

And we should not forget that the foundation's money belonged to Alexandros Onassis, Christina's deceased brother, not to Christina. Athina has not IMO any moral right to it, unless she really feels close to her mother's family and country, and this up to now.... she has to prove it.

Fandesacs2003

Very well said. Like you, I feel strongly that Thiery is to blame for all these...not only did he challenge Christina's wishes by wanting to control the inheritance, he also failed to introduce Athina to Greek culture. I like Athina a lot and wish her the best, but if I'm in one of the trustees of the foundation, I'll be afraid too to just hand it over to someone who has no clue about Greek and didn't have enough education. So, I can emphatize with the trustees here of trying to block her ascension to presidency. I mean they didn't have problems with Christina being president because they knew she was capable of the job having started out as secretary for the foundation and had higher education. You are right that the people in charge of the foundation has increased the value of the foundation tremedously. I think because of this, they were able to acquire the Olympic tower in NY. In my opinion, I think Athina should spend more time with the foundation and work her way up to get the respect of the trustees.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I think now that Papadimitriou and his son, and other "greybeards" and their sons, have joined the foundation, they pretty much hope to elect one of themselves to be President. Even though Aristotle's Will specifies that only a descendant of his can be President, they are determined to disqualify Athina on some technicality and find some loophole because they want it for themselves. That is my perception.

In my opinion, it's not the greybeards wanting the foundation for themselves, but Athina was never brought up to understand Greek culture. The greybeards have been complaining about this several years ago that Thiery is not complying with Christina's wishes that the child be brought up understanding her roots. It was deliberate act on the part of Thiery by isolating her daughter from Greece in a way to manipulate and control Athina. (I was actually happy to learn that Athina gave him the boot cuz she made Christina's life miserable and now Athina has to fight the trustees because of what Thiery failed to do). It was not a problem for them that Christina served as president because she understood Greek culture and its people. She's also educated. I mean if your org is worth billions, would you want someone who has no clue to be your 'bus driver' so to speak? They just changed the by-laws very recently cuz they realize Athina may not be not be ready to take control at age 21. Not to mention, having dropped out of school and marrying quite young and to someone who's so much older than her made the trustees even more concern. Over time if she has learned enough about her culture/her roots and seen her as capable woman, I dont think they will block her to be president.

I wish she'll do like what Lisa Marie Presley did. She was entitled to her inheritance at 18 or 21 but deferred the control of it til she was age 30 when she felt she would be ready to take in charge. It worked out better.

Last edited:
atinafan said:
In my opinion, it's not the greybeards wanting the foundation for themselves, but Athina was never brought up to understand Greek culture. The greybeards have been complaining about this several years ago that Thiery is not complying with Christina's wishes that the child be brought up understanding her roots. It was deliberate act on the part of Thiery by isolating her daughter from Greece in a way to manipulate and control Athina. (I was actually happy to learn that Athina gave him the boot cuz she made Christina's life miserable and now Athina has to fight the trustees because of what Thiery failed to do). It was not a problem for them that Christina served as president because she understood Greek culture and its people. She's also educated. I mean if your org is worth billions, would you want someone who has no clue to be your 'bus driver' so to speak? They just changed the by-laws very recently cuz they realize Athina may not be not be ready to take control at age 21. Not to mention, having dropped out of school and marrying quite young and to someone who's so much older than her made the trustees even more concern. Over time if she has learned enough about her culture/her roots and seen her as capable woman, I dont think they will block her to be president.

I wish she'll do like what Lisa Marie Presley did. She was entitled to her inheritance at 18 or 21 but deferred the control of it til she was age 30 when she felt she would be ready to take in charge. It worked out better.

To me, I think that is a naive view. I don't mean any offense, but I'm sorry, I don't buy it. The greybeards certainly want the world to think they are blocking her because she isn't Greek enough or doesn't speak Greek well enough or whatever. They don't want the world seeing them as what they are: greedy, selfish people who don't care one whit about Athina. They could care less about her rights or her happiness. They aren't any better than Thierry Roussel. As far as I'm concerned, Thierry and the greybeards have always acted in their own selfish interests and never cared about what is best for Athina.

I think the greybeards are right to be concerned.

Onassis' fortune was split in half at his death. it was divided into two equal lots and christina got to pick the lot she wanted. the same greybeards had a hand in both.

though equal then Cristina's and Athina's is a lot smaller. they started out equal with essentially the same people running them, with one exception: Thierry Roussel made some really bad decisions for his daughter's fortune. sold off some of its most lucrative assets, etc. he used his position as her gaurdian to force the board to do his will. (all this info comes from the vanity fair article "the last Onassis" btw)

seeing the negative effects of a financial amateur on Christina/athina's fortune, i'm not surprised the greybeards are weary of 20 year old with no economic credentials heading up the foundation.

pollyemma said:
I think the greybeards are right to be concerned.

Onassis' fortune was split in half at his death. it was divided into two equal lots and christina got to pick the lot she wanted. the same greybeards had a hand in both.

though equal then Cristina's and Athina's is a lot smaller. they started out equal with essentially the same people running them, with one exception: Thierry Roussel made some really bad decisions for his daughter's fortune. sold off some of its most lucrative assets, etc. he used his position as her gaurdian to force the board to do his will. (all this info comes from the vanity fair article "the last Onassis" btw)

seeing the negative effects of a financial amateur on Christina/athina's fortune, i'm not surprised the greybeards are weary of 20 year old with no economic credentials heading up the foundation.

the thing is, I don't buy that they cared about Christina either. I think they cared about her to the point where she could help them deepen their pockets, but no more. It's true that if Athina had been raised differently and by a father who respected the Greek heritage and connections of the Onassis "empire", the greybeards might feel differently about considering Athina for appointment. But how convenient that she isn't considered to be qualified for the post. Her past statements of carelessness about Greece are playing right into their hands and they are using her words against her.
There is no more good feeling about Athina from the greybeards. Papadimitriou at one time said he cared about her, but that good feeling is gone from his recent press statements. He seems to care more about promoting his son than helping Athina claim the presidency, which as sole descendent of Aristotle, only she is really qualified for.

atinafan said:
Hello J. Monaco

To answer your question, Athina hardly ever stepped foot in Greece cuz she was under the control of her father who hated Stelios Papademetrius who Christina put in charge of managing Athina's inheritance. He filed suits after suits to gain control and challenge Christina's will from the Greek trustees without success. Good thing he didnt succeed. Can you imagine if he did?, he might have squandered it away before Athina turned 18. Aristotle trusted Stelios so much that he appointed him as trustee of the Onassis foundation, and to be Christina's defense lawyer and adviser. Christina had put the same trust in Stelios. I think Stelios did a great job. Too bad, he passed on recently. Otherwise, he would have been a good advisor to Athina. I read that he requested to be buried across overlooking the island of Skorpios where his former boss was laid to rest. He said he had great respect and admiration for Aristotle and had a special bond with him. There was an article about Stelios and on why the Onassis Foundation has become so successful and respected in Greece. Stelios son was interviewed and in it, he said that founder (Aristotle) had assigned first generation special/closest friends to manage the foundation. Aristotle did not include his relatives as trustees or something like that so as not to have conflict of interest. Christina had to work her way up before assuming the president of the Foundation. Later, she relinquish her position in favor of Stelios. Stelios son, who is now the current president of the foundation, said that even he has to start from the bottom and get the training before his father gave him the position of president of Onassis foundation. You could understand why they change the by-laws fearing Athina has no clue to run the foundation let alone know anything about Greece and its culture.

Very good point: perhaps Doda himself wants to fashion a new career for himself as a businessman -- co-head (with his friends/advisors) of the Onassis Foundation. Who knows -- only he has ever known his true motives with Athina. and while he may actually be truly, sincerely concerned for her welfare and happiness, if she's starting to move towards trying to work for the Foundation, it may be at his urging. Maybe he's doing it to help her build some self-esteem and a sense of self-worth (who knows).

All nice and good, but still, if Athina is inclined to let Doda advise her what to do in any business dealings, it would be him actually making the decisions thru her (and I'm sure his own family could benefit from her ability (Doda's ability) to sponsor some things they might want to do, like it or not, it happens).

As one would hope this would not be the case, it could be possible. I read earlier in this thread that Doda's friend/lawyer is now an lead advisor for Athina. Who knows what could be going on -- Athina is a young woman, and (correct me if I am wrong, please) -- she's been deeply involved with Doda since she was 16 years old; he's almost 2 times her age and I would bet that she's abit naive/impressionable (this is not a slander on her -- most 20 year olds women are very impressionable, especially if the love a man).

Time will tell, but it is good it seems Athina is starting to become familiar with her family roots.

Last edited:
fandesacs2003 said:

Interesting points as well. but I would not worry about Athina. She will never be destitute, unless she allows her husband totally controls everything and takes things from her. I think I heard somewhere that she inherited about 2-3 billion when she turned 18. That is very far from any sort of catastrophe, at least in my book.

It would be abit different if she would face living on the street by the decisions -- she is still quite wealthy by anyone's standard.

CasiraghiTrio said:
Papadimitriou at one time said he cared about her, but that good feeling is gone from his recent press statements. He seems to care more about promoting his son than helping Athina claim the presidency, which as sole descendent of Aristotle, only she is really qualified for.

CasiraghiTrio

That good feeling gone from Papadimitriou's recent press stmt was perhaps due to how Athina has acted the past couple of years i.e. dropping out of school at 17, gone off to Brazil and marrying a man who is 11 years older, never showed any interest to know the day-to-day function of the foundation. Papademitriou's son was promoted to president recently. But from what I read, he started out at the bottom and work for the foundation for some years prior to his becoming president so he knew how the operation goes. It'll be interesting to see what happens next year when they battle it out in court. I'm sure we'll hear more dirty accussations from both camps. Still, I think this mess is created by Thiery. I would like to see a compromise (and not the greybeards totally rejecting her to become president) that she be allowed to become president as soon as she starts spending time to learn the functioning of the organization. I wouldnot think the greybeards would stand a chance winning in court denying her to become president if she starts attending meeting, showing her interest to learn the functioning of the organization. If despite her willingness to learn, attending meetings etc, and the greybeards still block her becoming president, only then I would think they are really in it for themselves. Call it naive, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Interview with Doda´s father, yesterday

Here is some parts of an interview with Doda´s father, Ricardo Miranda, yesterday (Dec. 06), at yahoo.com.br

That´s my translation, I tried my best :)

"Athina, 20 years old, and Doda, 32, travelled in honeymoon to Europe at Monday night.

As the presence of journalists was forbidden at the wedding, Miranda said he has tried to convince the couple to publish some pictures after the ceremony.

"Athina had already even agreed, but changed her mind after seeing the image of her dead mother shown by the (Brazilian) TV show Fantastico, on Sunday night."

About the wedding party, Miranda told he was emotioned to take Athina to the altar. "When I saw Doda crying, I almost cried too, but I could hold it."

"All the moments where Athina was present were beautiful. She was gorgeous, exuberant, overflowing happiness.", he said.

Doda´s father confirmed that only the sister Sandrine Johanna Roussel appeared to the wedding. Her other two siblings, the stepmother, Gaby, and the father, Thierry Roussel, were not present. Asked about the reason of the ausence of the father, Miranda answered: "Athina did not comment and we respect her silence."

It´s known, however, that them both fought over the control of the inheritage of the grandfather of Athina, the milionaire greek shipowner Aristotle Onassis, estimated between 1 and 3 billion dollars.

Miranda told also that the couple thinks about having children, but the priority is the hipic career of Athina, who dreams of dispute an Olimpiac. "

Back
Top Bottom