The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I have never had the opportunity or privilege to live in another country where another language is the primary language but I will say I am one of those people who can't seem to get a grasp of a foreign language. Its not something that comes easy to me. But I do agree that if you are going to live in another country, you should make the effort. In Charlene instance, she should know enough to have small and limited conversations in French, or in any of the MANY interviews said something in French along the lines, I am studying French, I am not an expert as of yet but it is something I committed to learning. So please be patient with me."

That my have answered some critics of her lack of French speaking abilities but I also concur with Countess, there are some people who will always find fault with Charlene...no matter what she does.
I'm not one of those people, but I do agree some people would always hated on famous people no matter what they do or do not do.

When it come to foreign Languages immersion helps a lot. The way that it is taught in school does not help when it come to speaking, with reading, writing, grammar yes both not spoken. English is my third language that I had to learn when I move to the U.S. I learn it by watching cartoons and in school.

Charlene seems nice, she looks nervous and uncomfortable at some of the events, hopefully she will get used to it. And in terms of learning French, it would help a lot if those around her only spoke French to her. Maybe she one's of those people that understand, can read and write but does not feel confident enough speaking it.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Definitely I have heard that the best way to learn a language is to speak it and hear it frequently. In my case, I only attempted to do it in middle and high school. One semester of Spanish in college doesn't count but than again, if I knew what I knew now in regards to being more marketable with another language, I would have made more of an effort.

If everyone is speaking English to her, than they are doing her a disservice especially if French is the main language of the citizens of Monaco. If nothing else, she should have had an hour or two a day (or a couple of times a week) in which French is the only thing she heard/spoke.

I am hoping that she will surprise us one day and speak fluent French but we shall see.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Courtier

Another things that will help is if she watched TV shows, soap opera, kids cartoon in French without English subtitles.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Majesty

You are the third non native English speaker who I read learned to speak English by watching cartoons...I work with a man who learned to speak English as a small child(he is Mexican) by watching Sesame Street...I couldn't believe it!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Courtier

I've never watched Sesame Street, but I did watch PBS everyday before I went to school. My roommate learn how to speak Spanish be watching telenovelas. She also said that how some European learn English also by watching American TV shows.

It not as hard as some would think, if you find the show interesting and have the patience to watch something you can't understand, eventually you will be able to follow along. Especially if it a kids show (like Sesame Street) since those are written to help kids expand their vocabulary.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

You are all correct. I speak 3 languages, but English is my mother language. I greatly admire those who have learned a second or third language. Here is the problem. Some become proficient, others speak it well enough. I can read it here and I think it is wonderful that you post. Good enough, is not going to be good enough for Charlene. She will face critics, that she speaks it moderately well, poorly, whatever. She is in a difficult position. Look at the criticism she has faced here. It is one thing to casually meet people and speak to them in your new language. It is another thing to have to answer questions and be in the spotlight while you muddle through.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Courtier

I don't think she need to become a master in French, she just need to show that she can communicate and understand what her subject are saying. Even if she make mistake the people would appreciate her for trying (that is what usually happen when people learn a foreign language in a foreign land). And I know people on the forum board would continue to criticize her, but she should not care about what people are saying on the internet. She just need to continue practicing speaking French whether she make mistake or not. And only care about what the people in Monaco think about her.

Yes I know I have bad grammar. It one of the things I did not learn in school.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Aristocracy

"She just need to continue practicing speaking French whether she make mistake or not. And only care about what the people in Monaco care about her."

I agree. I took French in grad school, but never before. My French professor advised me to make mistakes (if necessary) but speak French. I didn't and today I don't. Looking back, I realize that if I had taken his advice...I would still probably be able to understand AND parler la langue française.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine10 View Post
Of the 2 photos i like the ball gown photo best, in the swimsuit photo she looks awkward, she looks more like a weight lifter than a swimmer, in my opinion. Also, i agree, i don't think it's respectable to have a photo like that with her legs spread open for a photo, she should remember what her name and image represent now that she is representing Monaco. Maybe i'm old fashioned.

Looking at the swimsuit photo again, she looks like she's going to kick someone's butt, lol
This could be the photo that Charlene had in mind when she posed for her swimsuit portrait.
Dara Torres
Charlene
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
No one has told me, what makes the others not lazy, what does Kate do? What has she done? What does Mette-Marit do or Letiezia? And you do not know what she does, privately, in her daily life. She may not have an appitiute for language, many people don't. Not everyone is cerebral. I could make a huge lists of royals who fall into that category. Likes clothing or has been told, that is the big thing. Look at the media, they are there to look at the expensive fashion. These woman are show pieces. She said that once about France and what's the big deal. How long do you think it will take to "get to know Monaco"?

They had a job, or a University degree. CW has done nothing at all. She hasnt finished school, she didn´t even bother to learn a language. And she´s already 32. If that is not laziness...

And these pictures in a swimming suit are just ridiculous.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 AM
Courtier

Charlene turn 33 in January
Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Let's not forget the one person who could have helped Charlene most - her fiancé !!

He has always been truly bilingual. Could it be laziness on his part to not help his fiancée progress in French ??
Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Article: Charlene Wittstock: Meet the woman marrying Prince Albert II of monaco
Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Hummm...let's see. Charlene's major shortcomings are:

1. She doesn't speak French fluently
2. She has a beautiful, almost naked swimsuit photograph
3. She's probably had cosmetic surgery or botox
4. She's got some "style"
5. She's not old enough to marry Albert
6. She's honest and doesn't try to pad her CV
7. She was photographed wearing hair extensions

and on, and on...
Old 06-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florencia View Post

This is GREAT information...thank you!!

I have been watching the BBC recording of the William/Kate wedding almost every day since it happened...I need a NEW wedding to obsess over and this one sounds like it is going to be incredible!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Lets stay current with Charlene's current events.....this same record is being played in ALL of the Charlene threads.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Courtier

Charlene Wittstock: The Vogue Interview, July 2011 (Yup, it’s the Entire Interview) | The Royal Correspondent
Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Courtier

Another much appreciated "thank you", Florencia, for providing another awesome link to something special!

Loved reading the interview in full ~ now I know that Charlene does have Maids of Honor ~ and they are Danish designer Isabell Kristensen and Prince Albert's cousin Donatella Knecht de Massy. Aha, just did some research and discovered that Donatella is actually married to Albert's first cousin's son, Keith Sebastian Knecht, whom is the only child of the late Christine Alix de Massy, daughter of the late Princess Antoinette. Source of reference: Princess Antoinette, Baroness of Massy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had to chuckle at the mistake made in the paragraph that discusses Karl Lagerfeld, the second to the last sentence in that paragraph wherein the word "caca" comes out of nowhere, obviously a mistake made in the proof-reading department.

All in all a good strong interview with a bit of humour included. For instance Charlene talks about the fashion faux pas she made in 2007; after a day spent playing beach volleyball she painted her nails red and threw on a green dress to attend the Red Cross Ball that year. However, these pics show she was *not* wearing a green dress that year: Charlene Wittstock Pictures - Entertainment Pictures Of The Week - 2007, August 2 - Zimbio

It's good that she's found her own style and what works for her, but I'm wondering whom were the people giving her all that advice in the beginning? Hmm...
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Majesty

I noticed that "naughty" word too...I think they meant that Karl "shot" the Royal couple...ha ha ha!

So, it looks like CW will have at least a couple of adult attendants at the wedding, which is a good idea if her train is going to be as long as I suspect it will be. Can't wait!

Great article Florencia, thank you!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Courtier

Lol I caught another mistake, it says "beau mooned" instead of beau monde. Actually I think it right on, they should be mooned.

By the way, Moonmaiden23, I love your words about the train, its gotten me all excited once again, can't wait to see what this historical fantastical wedding gown is going to look like!!!!!! Ahhhhhh, the suspence is killing me!