Charlene Wittstock Current Events Part 10: January 2008 - June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the comparisons the press and people do between Charlene and Grace are unavoidable and of course expected. They would do them for any woman that Albert was going to have on his side and marry. And now they are more willing to do them as Albert had once stated that his wife wants to look like Grace. Not only in the appearance but in all this aura that Grace used to have and seems that she unfortunately didn't pass it to her children. Anyway, i liked Charlene on the inteviews and i hope she will improve her french so that she can talk to Monegasques in their mother tongue. Except for that, i have no problem with her. She has a different look from all the other royals of Monaco and she's unique.

She is Vogue USA (July issue)
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4830/14604517913hfp5c.jpg
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7488/14604523842h7vxs.jpg

Let me guess: She is stunning!! She looks beautifully perfect! Right?

yeah...well, my thought is:
She looks fine, not absolutely gorgeous. Just fine. But she should stop posing in swimming suits. We know she is a swimmer. But she is 3 weeks to become a Princess Consort. We don't need no longer see her in swimming suit.
And the second pic...IF that is not an attempt to make her look like Grace, please people, be kind and explain to me what is it. Thank you very much.

The Vogue picture reminds me of this photo of Princess Grace:
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm20/2goddesses/princessgracebwhq/11.jpg

Wow agogo...that IS very similar isn't it? They are both very stunning photos, but I agree with others that the avalanche of photos appearing to channel Grace for CW could backfire.

She is very attractive in her own right and has-or should have-her own unique style.

I also agree with azure's comments 100%.

I concur with Nathalie Cox on the swimsuit thing..I get it that she's a former swimmer but there's no need for her to be posing in a swimsuit for a photohoot.She will be the next Princess consort of a Sovereign Prince and in my opinion posing like that is quite demeaning to the role.She should look back to her swimming years fondly but those years were over..she should open a new page as a princess consort and be dignified.And yeah,I may be conservative in my views but there should be still a protocol about the dressing code in the Palace,sleeveless is a no no.

Gone were the days when Peggy was reprimanded at the Palace Princier for parading in shorts during Grace's wedding.

Apart from the swimmingsuit picture,the rest are tolerable.

First of all I like Will and Kate, I think they are a cute couple. It is the vitriol and judgemental comments that I find so unnecessary. So, she doesn't speak French. She will eventually learn. Lots of people speak English, so it facilitates this. Albert speaks English, predominently. Doesn't help. What has she done for the past five years, what should she have done? I, suspect, until recently, she didn't know what her future would be, with Albert, that is. Too many interviews, not enough, she shouldn't pose in a swim suit. Why not? There is no aura or mystery left in royal families. Of course not, it is the 21st century. All the Divine right stuff and we are better than you junk has faded, with education. The thrones remain, because those on them are likeable, affable people. They are a, certain, class of celebrity now, nothing more. What is dignified. Caroline or Stephanie???

Of the 2 photos i like the ball gown photo best, in the swimsuit photo she looks awkward, she looks more like a weight lifter than a swimmer, in my opinion. Also, i agree, i don't think it's respectable to have a photo like that with her legs spread open for a photo, she should remember what her name and image represent now that she is representing Monaco. Maybe i'm old fashioned.

Looking at the swimsuit photo again, she looks like she's going to kick someone's butt, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Christine10, you're not old-fashioned.
Charlene doesn't do "regal", not even "aristo", when all is said and done.

She will learn the hard way. Once the wedding is over, and normality takes over, that's when we find out whether she has what it takes.

I think if CW had only been living in Monaco for one year, or even two, and still could not speak decent French I would be among those posters saying people are being too harsh in their criticism of her.

But FIVE YEARS in the Principality beggars the question...why is she not fluent, or at least proficient? What has she been doing with her time(in five years)?

I am not willing to predict that CW will be a disastrous embarrassment based on only this, but I have to be honest.

For me, it is confusing.

I could think of several reasons.

1) Laziness
2) No aptitude for languages
3) Not interested in cerebral things
4) More interested in frocks and jewellery
5) Lots of interest in getting to know France.

My problem with the "laziness" possibility is that this girl is an Olympic trained athlete...that is not the accomplishment of someone who is lazy.

It takes drive and determination to win a place on an Olympic team.

I think it's a question of motivation and priorities...she has not made #2 on your list a priority, but #4 has been a priority it seems.

And part of the blame can be lain squarely at the feet of Albert and his advisors.

No one has told me, what makes the others not lazy, what does Kate do? What has she done? What does Mette-Marit do or Letiezia? And you do not know what she does, privately, in her daily life. She may not have an appitiute for language, many people don't. Not everyone is cerebral. I could make a huge lists of royals who fall into that category. Likes clothing or has been told, that is the big thing. Look at the media, they are there to look at the expensive fashion. These woman are show pieces. She said that once about France and what's the big deal. How long do you think it will take to "get to know Monaco"?

Mette-Marit and Letizia are not women who lived with their respective Royal boyfriends in a foreign land for five years and failed to bother to learn the language.

I don't think you need to be "cerebral" for that to happen...I think that since the wedding MM has gone back to college and gotten her degree, and Letizia has taken on more and more appointments and responsibilities as her father in law has dealt with health issues.

I don't think CW is lazy...far from it. But I do question her priorities.

For the record, I don't find Kate Middleton that impressive either(in terms of her behavior and accomplishments in the eight years after graduation...but hey...she has gone on record as saying she does not care about the opinions of others and she got her prize...or Prince if you will. So I guess laziness CAN be a virtue??)

Last edited:
Good question !
I think they demean themselves by willingly turning themselves into clothes horses.
As to getting to know Monaco, Charlene has had a good deal of time and opportunity to do just that.

Of the 2 photos i like the ball gown photo best, in the swimsuit photo she looks awkward, she looks more like a weight lifter than a swimmer, in my opinion. Also, i agree, i don't think it's respectable to have a photo like that with her legs spread open for a photo, she should remember what her name and image represent now that she is representing Monaco. Maybe i'm old fashioned.

Looking at the swimsuit photo again, she looks like she's going to kick someone's butt, lol

She's not representing Monaco, YET. And when she is representing Monaco, you can lump her right in there with her sisters-in-law, princesses behaving badly.

No, Christine10, you're not old-fashioned.
Charlene doesn't do "regal", not even "aristo", when all is said and done.

She will learn the hard way. Once the wedding is over, and normality takes over, that's when we find out whether she has what it takes.

For some, Charlene will never have what it takes.

Last edited:
Mette-Marit and Letizia are not women who lived with their respective Royal boyfriends in a foreign land for five years and failed to bother to learn the language.

I don't think you need to be "cerebral" for that to happen...I think that since the wedding MM has gone back to college and gotten her degree, and Letizia has taken on more and more appointments and responsibilities as her father in law has dealt with health issues.

I don't think CW is lazy...far from it. But I do question her priorities.

For the record, I don't find Kate Middleton that impressive either(in terms of her behavior and accomplishments in the eight years after graduation...but hey...she has gone on record as saying she does not care about the opinions of others and she got her prize...or Prince if you will. So I guess laziness CAN be a virtue??)

That not what Kate said, what she said was that the people that knows her i.e. her family and friends knows that she works hard and that all that matters.

And why are we talking about all these others Princess on this tread?

Someone else brought up KM and the others and I responded...which I probably shouldn't have.

Let's get back on topic with Charlene. I understand the inference of other royal ladies, but let's keep the comparisons to a minimum.

Here is how I feel about a languages. If you live an a country that speak a different language than you do, you should make an effort to be fluent or at least proficient in it. It not hard to learn a language when you are immerse in it, especially when you are living an a country whose national language that is. If you do not learn it in imo it is because you do not care enough to.

ITA agree with you miche, but I think an additional reason CW hasn't put more pressure on herself in that area is because Prince Albert has not.

The fact that he apparently has not has put her at a disadvantage, imo.

Here is how I feel about a languages. If you live an a country that speak a different language than you do, you should make an effort to be fluent or at least proficient in it. It not hard to learn a language when you are immerse in it, especially when you are living an a country whose national language that is. If you do not learn it in imo it is because you do not care enough to.

I have never had the opportunity or privilege to live in another country where another language is the primary language but I will say I am one of those people who can't seem to get a grasp of a foreign language. Its not something that comes easy to me. But I do agree that if you are going to live in another country, you should make the effort. In Charlene instance, she should know enough to have small and limited conversations in French, or in any of the MANY interviews said something in French along the lines, I am studying French, I am not an expert as of yet but it is something I committed to learning. So please be patient with me."

That my have answered some critics of her lack of French speaking abilities but I also concur with Countess, there are some people who will always find fault with Charlene...no matter what she does.

I have never had the opportunity or privilege to live in another country where another language is the primary language but I will say I am one of those people who can't seem to get a grasp of a foreign language. Its not something that comes easy to me. But I do agree that if you are going to live in another country, you should make the effort. In Charlene instance, she should know enough to have small and limited conversations in French, or in any of the MANY interviews said something in French along the lines, I am studying French, I am not an expert as of yet but it is something I committed to learning. So please be patient with me."

That my have answered some critics of her lack of French speaking abilities but I also concur with Countess, there are some people who will always find fault with Charlene...no matter what she does.

I'm not one of those people, but I do agree some people would always hated on famous people no matter what they do or do not do.

When it come to foreign Languages immersion helps a lot. The way that it is taught in school does not help when it come to speaking, with reading, writing, grammar yes both not spoken. English is my third language that I had to learn when I move to the U.S. I learn it by watching cartoons and in school.

Charlene seems nice, she looks nervous and uncomfortable at some of the events, hopefully she will get used to it. And in terms of learning French, it would help a lot if those around her only spoke French to her. Maybe she one's of those people that understand, can read and write but does not feel confident enough speaking it.

Definitely I have heard that the best way to learn a language is to speak it and hear it frequently. In my case, I only attempted to do it in middle and high school. One semester of Spanish in college doesn't count but than again, if I knew what I knew now in regards to being more marketable with another language, I would have made more of an effort.

If everyone is speaking English to her, than they are doing her a disservice especially if French is the main language of the citizens of Monaco. If nothing else, she should have had an hour or two a day (or a couple of times a week) in which French is the only thing she heard/spoke.

I am hoping that she will surprise us one day and speak fluent French but we shall see.

Another things that will help is if she watched TV shows, soap opera, kids cartoon in French without English subtitles.

You are the third non native English speaker who I read learned to speak English by watching cartoons...I work with a man who learned to speak English as a small child(he is Mexican) by watching Sesame Street...I couldn't believe it!

I've never watched Sesame Street, but I did watch PBS everyday before I went to school. My roommate learn how to speak Spanish be watching telenovelas. She also said that how some European learn English also by watching American TV shows.

It not as hard as some would think, if you find the show interesting and have the patience to watch something you can't understand, eventually you will be able to follow along. Especially if it a kids show (like Sesame Street) since those are written to help kids expand their vocabulary.

Last edited:
You are all correct. I speak 3 languages, but English is my mother language. I greatly admire those who have learned a second or third language. Here is the problem. Some become proficient, others speak it well enough. I can read it here and I think it is wonderful that you post. Good enough, is not going to be good enough for Charlene. She will face critics, that she speaks it moderately well, poorly, whatever. She is in a difficult position. Look at the criticism she has faced here. It is one thing to casually meet people and speak to them in your new language. It is another thing to have to answer questions and be in the spotlight while you muddle through.

I don't think she need to become a master in French, she just need to show that she can communicate and understand what her subject are saying. Even if she make mistake the people would appreciate her for trying (that is what usually happen when people learn a foreign language in a foreign land). And I know people on the forum board would continue to criticize her, but she should not care about what people are saying on the internet. She just need to continue practicing speaking French whether she make mistake or not. And only care about what the people in Monaco think about her.

Yes I know I have bad grammar. It one of the things I did not learn in school.

Last edited:
"She just need to continue practicing speaking French whether she make mistake or not. And only care about what the people in Monaco care about her."

I agree. I took French in grad school, but never before. My French professor advised me to make mistakes (if necessary) but speak French. I didn't and today I don't. Looking back, I realize that if I had taken his advice...I would still probably be able to understand AND parler la langue française.

This could be the photo that Charlene had in mind when she posed for her swimsuit portrait.
Dara Torres
Charlene

No one has told me, what makes the others not lazy, what does Kate do? What has she done? What does Mette-Marit do or Letiezia? And you do not know what she does, privately, in her daily life. She may not have an appitiute for language, many people don't. Not everyone is cerebral. I could make a huge lists of royals who fall into that category. Likes clothing or has been told, that is the big thing. Look at the media, they are there to look at the expensive fashion. These woman are show pieces. She said that once about France and what's the big deal. How long do you think it will take to "get to know Monaco"?

They had a job, or a University degree. CW has done nothing at all. She hasnt finished school, she didn´t even bother to learn a language. And she´s already 32. If that is not laziness...

And these pictures in a swimming suit are just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom