The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 08-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaR
Henri,

You may be right about Charlene and she may be a gold digger, but even though Albert is a little chubby and balding, he is still handsome! He is charming enough to attract women even if he wasn't rich or important!
I'm very happily married, so I'm not saying this because I want him for myself
I just think Prince Albert is still cute and charming, despite his love handles. (A lot of us women just don't mind about the balding part at all)
I agree Tonya, I also think Albert is quite handsome. He has been putting on a few pounds so he may want to reign that in for health reasons. He is a man who seems quite comfortable with his hair loss-not at all insecure about it like a lot of men. This self confidence also makes him attractive. Plus he has really attractive blue eyes (& I'm not usually one to go for a guy with blue eyes other than a young Paul Newman).
__________________

__________________
  #62  
Old 08-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by libra65
(& I'm not usually one to go for a guy with blue eyes other than a young Paul Newman).
The old Paul Newmann isn't bad either. He still has his charm
__________________

__________________
  #63  
Old 08-08-2006, 02:01 PM
TonyaR's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: *, United States
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by libra65
I agree Tonya, I also think Albert is quite handsome. He has been putting on a few pounds so he may want to reign that in for health reasons. He is a man who seems quite comfortable with his hair loss-not at all insecure about it like a lot of men. This self confidence also makes him attractive. Plus he has really attractive blue eyes (& I'm not usually one to go for a guy with blue eyes other than a young Paul Newman).
Thanks for the vote Libra65. I'm glad I'm not alone. Albert does need to drop some weight, but he has beautiful eyes. (He and all of his siblings.) He also has a beautiful smile.
__________________
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, ..stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
~Christopher Robin to Pooh
(A.A. Milne)
  #64  
Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,896
I don't think Albert's good or not-so good looks are important. Besides the fact that he seems to feel a boost of testosterone seeing long-legged athletic blondes, still my initial question lies here: is miss Wittstock, without education, lack of life- and work experience, without knowledge of French language and almost three decades younger a suitable long-lasting partner and Princess of Monaco. Also when she will outlive her spouse for three decades?
__________________
  #65  
Old 08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
BurberryBrit's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: onthenet, United States
Posts: 1,439
I have nothing against Charlene as a human beiing. But as the Princess de Monaco, I'm not so sure! I can't imagine that after all these years of waiting and dating andd sampling what's out there that Charlene would be the brode that everyone was waiting for. It's like a build up for something great and then a letdown. Well God bless this little principality that I have grown to love, whatever the outcome may be.
__________________
Für Gott, Fürst und Vaterland

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
  #66  
Old 08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Do you think that miss Wittstock, with her lack of life- and work experience, her poor education and 25 years younger than her partner and not mastering French language can be a lady who can deliver 60 years of devoted service to the Principality, also when she is the Dowager Princess when she will be around 50?

I really doubt it. This balding father of two should simply marry a lady from the French nobility or bourgeoisie. You stumble over goodlooking, well-educated and fantastich french-speaking ladies.

Miss Wittstock should return to Cape Town or Pretoria and find herself a nice handsome guy. This is ridiculous.
Ok. let me just say it again, I am certainly guilty of raking CW over the coals for a variety of things (her clothes, her hair, her comportment, talking too much to the paprazzis and so on).

But after thinking about it for a while, and remembering that Pss Diana was also a drop out and considering now that CP Mette-Merit of Norway was a high school drop out, unwed mother, a party girl and a strawberry picker who was shacking up with her Prince before she married him (she met the CP in a taxi on her way home from her job as a waitress, it was reported) just how bad could CW be really? Lady Diana Spencer was a nursury school teacher before she got married to Charles. Nice work, but she was not a high-powered executive or anything. Diana admitted too that school just wasn't interesting for her (she did not endorse dropping out, if I remember correctly - but she was quite open on the subject of her own education).

To her credit, CW at least made it to the top of the sporting world in her event, lots of talented athletes never even get a chance to compete at that level, right?

Charlene may have more life experience than even I give her credit (I don't know what) though I cannot imagine her as Princess, who's to really say? She did look nice at the Rose Ball the other day, right? Her makeup wasn't harsh and didn't her hair look good for a change? She seems to clean up pretty well with the right kind of help, right?

CP Mette Marit turned out fine, and Norway is quite proud of her, even though I'm certain the idea of Mette Merit becoming Princess turned more than a few peoples faces to stone.

I may not think CW is great, and there are many others I think would be better pick -- but she's not so terrible, right? With the right clothes and such, she could do it maybe, right? Perhaps...well, then again, maybe not (omg what am I saying??!!??).
__________________
  #67  
Old 08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
TonyaR's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: *, United States
Posts: 328
Lillia, maybe you are right and she is not so bad, but I do wish she were a little different. It would be nice if she did not have shoulders as wide as a man's, and if she was more worthwhile in some way, and possibly more charismatic.
__________________
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, ..stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
~Christopher Robin to Pooh
(A.A. Milne)
  #68  
Old 08-08-2006, 04:13 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillia
But after thinking about it for a while, and remembering that Pss Diana was also a drop out and considering now that CP Mette-Merit of Norway was a high school drop out, unwed mother, a party girl and a strawberry picker who was shacking up with her Prince before she married him (she met the CP in a taxi on her way home from her job as a waitress, it was reported) just how bad could CW be really?
I don't want to make comparisons, as I feel that both Mette-Marit and Charlene are individuals who come from different lifestyles and countries, I felt the need to correct some of your facts. Mette-Marit did graduate from the Norwegian equivalent of high school. True - she spent a semester of high school as an exchange student in Australia, but she went back to high school afterwards and completed it. Among her uncompleted education is an college-level construction engineering degree. She also has followed classes at the University in Oslo, as well as studied at the School of Oriental and African Studies when Haakon and Mette-Marit lived in London.

And it seems strange when honest jobs, even strawberry picking and waitressing on the side of pursuing an education, are put down as being bad for your future reputation. But yes, she did have a child out of wedlock - as have certain royalty had. The bottom line is that Mette-Marit is doing an okay job now- and I agree with your point that Charlene also might do so. Being molded into the royal fold takes time. Charlene might have an easier time than Mette-Marit in the beginning (not factoring in Mette-Marit's broken leg, pneumonia and really bad sun-burn) in that she's attending events now as Albert's companion, while Mette-Marit didn't attend much of anything official with Haakon until they were engaged.

As for Charlene - I think it is wonderful that she had the guts to go for her swimming career. It might have been something that could have been combined with finishing high school - but as it stands now, it wasn't, and that is in the past. I'm sorry if people think she's a golddigger simply for going after Albert - it should be pointed out that looks aren't everything when it comes to falling in love. I don't think Albert is bad looking, though. He seems to be an interesting man - having competed at the Olympics, and such.
__________________
  #69  
Old 08-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
I don't want to make comparisons, as I feel that both Mette-Marit and Charlene are individuals who come from different lifestyles and countries, I felt the need to correct some of your facts. Mette-Marit did graduate from the Norwegian equivalent of high school. True - she spent a semester of high school as an exchange student in Australia, but she went back to high school afterwards and completed it. Among her uncompleted education is an college-level construction engineering degree. She also has followed classes at the University in Oslo, as well as studied at the School of Oriental and African Studies when Haakon and Mette-Marit lived in London.

And it seems strange when honest jobs, even strawberry picking and waitressing on the side of pursuing an education, are put down as being bad for your future reputation. But yes, she did have a child out of wedlock - as have certain royalty had. The bottom line is that Mette-Marit is doing an okay job now- and I agree with your point that Charlene also might do so. Being molded into the royal fold takes time. Charlene might have an easier time than Mette-Marit in the beginning (not factoring in Mette-Marit's broken leg, pneumonia and really bad sun-burn) in that she's attending events now as Albert's companion, while Mette-Marit didn't attend much of anything official with Haakon until they were engaged.

As for Charlene - I think it is wonderful that she had the guts to go for her swimming career. It might have been something that could have been combined with finishing high school - but as it stands now, it wasn't, and that is in the past. I'm sorry if people think she's a golddigger simply for going after Albert - it should be pointed out that looks aren't everything when it comes to falling in love. I don't think Albert is bad looking, though. He seems to be an interesting man - having competed at the Olympics, and such.
Thank you norwegianne -- I do hope that neither you nor anyone would be offended by my comments about CP MM of Norway. I do not intend any kind of slight to her at all. I like CP MM. I am glad that you corrected me too -- even though this thread is about Charlene Wittstock, I think my simple rationale as you noted was to point out only that CW could not completely bad and although she certainly would not be my first or second or third or fourth choice for Princess of Monaco by a really long shot, she could be ok at it, maybe I guess.

OK look, I'm trying very hard to give CW the benefit of the doubt. It takes a lot of discipline to get to the olympics. And if PA decided to marry CW, people would have to just swallow it with a big spoonful of sugar (me included for sure).

But, PA has already said that he is not marrying her anyway.

I hope he does not change his mind either.

Still, I am glad that somebody could find a tiny bit of merit in my little point, even though I may not have been 100% accurate. Thanks for the help getting the facts straight on it.
__________________
  #70  
Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 PM
leahteresa's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waipahu, United States
Posts: 305
Yes, I agree it takes a lot of hard work and determination to get to the olympics. But I do not think, even for a second, that it is harder to get to the olympics than through a four year college degree program. Academics at this level are a full time job requiring all kinds of time manangement and drive.
__________________
  #71  
Old 08-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: --xxSan Diego, Algeria
Posts: 126
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Leahteresa. Hang in there. I think academic egrees are equivalent in self esteem, self pride, impetus to launch into whatever-- as much as sports or anything else. And you'll go on to the next level if you need to. Neat

Heidi P:..."Based upon Albert's overall behavior I feel they are emotional equals..". Hear,Hear. Can I get a witness?

Finally someone cut out all the "not good enough,bla,bla." Why else would he be attentive. And likely with everyone else in his life, past or present. People are at different emotional levels and growth at different times in their lives.
__________________
  #72  
Old 08-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahteresa
Yes, I agree it takes a lot of hard work and determination to get to the olympics. But I do not think, even for a second, that it is harder to get to the olympics than through a four year college degree program. Academics at this level are a full time job requiring all kinds of time manangement and drive.
You are 100% correct, I agree it's a very good point too. There are enough athletes that train and compete and go to school full time in some of the most rigorous academic programs in the world. Or they have full time jobs to support themselves and their families and pay their own way. Other athletes really work hard!

I'm not saying CW does not work hard, I don't know what she does, except swim occasionally and be seen at parties with PA lately. I still haven't figured out how she takes care of herself with no job. From what I can see, she does not have any cash from current sports endorsements either. But she's managing to spin her 'non-job' into a 'job' of constant trips to Monaco to go to these parties and hang out with PA and his friends. Nice gig if you can get it, right?

All a girl ever needs is a billionaire "boyfriend" and his rich pals to help out with everything, right?

I know I would probably have a heart attack if any child of mine tried to drop from school with an idea in her head of 'all I ever want to do is swim, or whatever...'.


But, if this is the kind of woman PA wants to hang out with and have accompanying him in places, as a Head of State, what does it say about him? (no -- ok wait a minute, don't answer that...)

We all know about the type of women PA tends to be attracted to already, right? CW just fits the pattern, imo
__________________
  #73  
Old 08-08-2006, 07:33 PM
leahteresa's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waipahu, United States
Posts: 305
Hey, if everything goes their way, and I have a funny feelings at least some of it will, Charlene will be getting a $50,000 payout from Paris Match in the lawsuit filed over the Maldives pictures. For fifty thousand bucks, there are a lot of things I'd do. No one go too far with this statement, I just think is sort of par for the course for the Grimaldi's. And here is an article all about it:

Publicity-hungry Grimaldis make thousands from draconian French privacy laws
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...23/wgrim23.xml

Oh, and for all you skimmers at reading articles. You have to read the fine print to find out that Princess Stephanie filed some 330 lawsuits over something like 6 years.....
__________________
  #74  
Old 08-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahteresa
Hey, if everything goes their way, and I have a funny feelings at least some of it will, Charlene will be getting a $50,000 payout from Paris Match in the lawsuit filed over the Maldives pictures. For fifty thousand bucks, there are a lot of things I'd do. No one go too far with this statement, I just think is sort of par for the course for the Grimaldi's. And here is an article all about it:

Publicity-hungry Grimaldis make thousands from draconian French privacy laws
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...23/wgrim23.xml
Like I said before "All a girl ever needs is a billionaire "boyfriend" and his rich pals to help out with everything, right?"

Ok, so now CW is learning how to supplement her non-income. Now she has some cash to tide her over for a while...
__________________
  #75  
Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Heidi P.'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillia
I have to agree with Zonk1189 and Heidi P. Albert will marry whomever he wants to, if he wants to. For all my comments about Charlene (some of which I admit are not so generous) If she's the none for him, then so be it.

Actually, I think Charlene looked really nice at the Rose Ball and she did look like she fit right in with everyone else there. If she can do it, and is willing to deal with all that, why wouldn't she make a good princess?
Excellent and insightful comment! Albert will marry who he wants to marry. Sorry Henry!
__________________
  #76  
Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi P.
Excellent and insightful comment! Albert will marry who he wants to marry. Sorry Henry!
Of course Prince Albert will marry who he wants, I make no illusion anymore. But all what royal and noble is, fades away under all this. You want to make a theatre (with our taxpayer's money)? That's okay with me. But please, stick to the ancient rules of the game you yourself have set for centuries!

That an unmarried mother with an ex-partner having a criminal record is seen as 'suitable' from becoming Queen of Norway... Or that a lady who was day in, day out anchoring the news on TVE suddenly now is a future Queen of Spain... Or that the famous Orange-Nassau treasures, worn by Yorks, Stuarts, Hannovers, Hohenzollerns, Romanovs etc. now simply are worn by an Argentine banker...

It is all okay. But please, don't expect me to faint and applaud for it. Mathilde Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz, Jaime de Marichalar de Saenz y Tejada from the Counts of Ripalda, Ernst-August Prince of Hannover, Marie-Christine Baroness von Reibnitz, Serena Stanhope from the Earls Harrington, Diana Spencer from the Earls Spencer... thát is royal partner-material.

Yes, I know, I know... unhappy Diana this and that. I can place happy Mathilde against that. Or happy Ernst-August. Or happy Serena.

The glory and fame of their centuries old families do shine on them and add to the 'unique' thing royalty and monarchy is.

I miss that.
__________________
  #77  
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Heidi P.'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 244
Henri M.,

I think your expections for Royal marriage material sound reasonable and I understand what it is you are saying. But I think your comments say more about Henry than anything. In reality, Royals are regular people. They are subject to all the flaws, ups and downs and other aspects of human nature the rest of us are, the only difference is they happen to both human and royal. I think it is interesting that you think simply because they have royal status/titles they have the ability to control their emotions, personality, personal needs and personal desire and ONLY become attached or attracted to people who are Royals, Aristocrats, or Wealthy. How would something like this work? How would you control for the subjective nature of individuals to get everyone who is royal to behave in the exact same way?

I am just curious.
__________________
  #78  
Old 08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
You've lost me, Heidi - which Henry are you talking about?
__________________
  #79  
Old 08-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Olka's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Of course Prince Albert will marry who he wants, I make no illusion anymore. But all what royal and noble is, fades away under all this. You want to make a theatre (with our taxpayer's money)? That's okay with me. But please, stick to the ancient rules of the game you yourself have set for centuries!

That an unmarried mother with an ex-partner having a criminal record is seen as 'suitable' from becoming Queen of Norway... Or that a lady who was day in, day out anchoring the news on TVE suddenly now is a future Queen of Spain... Or that the famous Orange-Nassau treasures, worn by Yorks, Stuarts, Hannovers, Hohenzollerns, Romanovs etc. now simply are worn by an Argentine banker...

It is all okay. But please, don't expect me to faint and applaud for it. Mathilde Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz, Jaime de Marichalar de Saenz y Tejada from the Counts of Ripalda, Ernst-August Prince of Hannover, Marie-Christine Baroness von Reibnitz, Serena Stanhope from the Earls Harrington, Diana Spencer from the Earls Spencer... thát is royal partner-material.

Yes, I know, I know... unhappy Diana this and that. I can place happy Mathilde against that. Or happy Ernst-August. Or happy Serena.

The glory and fame of their centuries old families do shine on them and add to the 'unique' thing royalty and monarchy is.

I miss that.
Good point of view, may I say I agree with you, Henri M. Are we the witnesses of a period of modernization of monarchy or the institution is just loosing the splendor, glory and fame it used to have? you forgot to mention that the future Queen of Spain is also a divorced person...
__________________
  #80  
Old 08-09-2006, 05:29 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
A high school diploma (or some other nation's equivalent) or "career points" don't really matter. A person can learn to be a good royal spouse without those things. What matters at the core is whether these two people love each other. Because if they don't, it's a waste of everybody's time. I just don't feel it, but I also understand sometimes the full feelings are translated into the picture. A picture can say a thousand words or it can say nothing at all.
When you think of it logically, you might say Albert and Charlene seem like a perfect fit. They do seem to have the same interests and hobbies. But I have many of the same interests as many people that, however I might enjoy talking to them and hanging out with them, I might not be the perfect fit to marry them. Charlene is just like Alicia what's-her-name anyway. That blonde that Albert escorted to some events a few years ago. The other athlete. Same hobbies, interests as Albert, but no (photogenic) romance.
Someone brought up MM and Haakon. Those two have chemistry. They always did, imo. You can see the love they have for each other so blatantly. It's the way they look at each other. It would be nice to see Albert have a relationship like that, but as someone else said, "we all know what kind of women he is attracted to!"
__________________

__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charlene Wittstock Current Events 6 : Aug.2006 - Nov.2006 tbhrc Current Events Archive 203 11-18-2006 08:16 AM
Charlene Wittstock Current Events 4 : June 2006 - Aug.2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 200 08-06-2006 12:45 PM
Charlene Wittstock Current Events 3 - June 2006 tbhrc Current Events Archive 205 06-22-2006 02:49 PM
Charlene Wittstock Current Events 2 : April 2006 - June 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 396 06-04-2006 12:26 PM
Charlene Wittstock Current Events 1 : March 2006 - April 2006 tiawanika Current Events Archive 413 04-12-2006 12:18 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games ottoman picture of the month pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]