The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Nobility

If anyone wants to get a clear opinion of Charlene they can read the interview she gave to Paris Match. I tried to find it but was unsuccessful, maybe someone remembers where the link was posted. She gave an interview and had a wonderful opportunity to tell the world who she is, and she did. More in what she did not say than in what she did say.

This is my impression: she talked about herself, her youth, her swimming, her olympic track record, herself and some more of herself. I guess when you give an interview about yourself this is to expected but, but, I did not read one word or one answer that appeared altruistic. Altruism is from the french altruisme. It is defined in the dictionary as an unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.

I understand, she was not being interviewed about the AIDS crisis in south africa but it would not have hurt her to say a word or two about something other than herself. She came across to me as shallow.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
And if she has broad shoulders, uses mixed up luggage, has not completed high school school, but brings a smile to his face...she might be okay with that.
Brings a smile to his face .... Yes he has been smiling the whole circle in the past few months, especially around her (i.e. in the pictures we have seen, of course).

Old 08-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahteresa
This is my impression: she talked about herself, her youth, her swimming, her olympic track record, herself and some more of herself. I guess when you give an interview about yourself this is to expected but, but, I did not read one word or one answer that appeared altruistic. Altruism is from the french altruisme. It is defined in the dictionary as an unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.
Charlene, like most elite athletes, lived a highly sheltered life that is completely focused on the present. Her focus was qualifying for the Olympics, or a world championship, or whatever competition presented itself, and then once there, winning a medal. It's a very unbalanced life. By her own admission, grades were not important so I'm sure she only took the bare minimum of classes she had to take and then was off swimming. Making good grades wasn't going to help her get where she wanted to go. And, God bless her, she had the talent and drive and discipline to compete with the best but she really couldn't see beyond her competitve days.

I only know figure skating well and for every top competitor that has a college degree there are at least nine more that didn't finish high school or got a GED or high school diploma through a correspondence course. Even when they do attend college, it often takes six, seven or more years to get their degree. Alicia Warlick just graduated from Harvard: her friends from her first days there or at Stanford have long since graduated. I believe she should have been in the Class of 2000 or something. Charlene's teenage life was home, the pool, and in what free time she had, living a "normal" life hanging out with friends. That could account for a lot of her naivete when it came to the interview. She had different kinds of experiences traveling all over the world with the team, but none of them forced her to contemplate any particular country's history or culture. She was never really encouraged to think about anything other than swimming and winning. Therefore she couldn't extrapolate on other subjects that would give more insight into who she is as a person.

From what I remember from the Paris-Match interview, the questions were submitted prior to the interview. Dawn East probably coached her on what to say to make it sound like she was a totally disciplined athlete who was picked out of a crowd by a prince. The last part talked about how she loved to travel, particularly in Europe and about giving swimming lessons to children. Her PR person probably guided her not to talk about things that would seem to be making a "statement" or subjects that she could easily get tripped up on in an interview. Therefore, she could only talk about what she knew and that is swimming and herself.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Nobility

I know. I get it. Does not change anything I mentioned. I can understand why she would not want to talk about any polictical issue but I can probably list ten altruistic ways she could have responded to some of the questions posed to her. But she did not and it is likely because she cannot see the world beyond her own athletic acheivements. (A point you made for me in your own post pinklady.) It is my personaly opnion that this view, held by anyone dating a prince or not, is shallow. Education is everything. When she said Grades did not matter to her, she basically said, education does not matter to her because they are the bench mark in the academic world.

My comments were my opinion and impression of her interview. Something I thought I would bring up because chatting about her unmatched luggage is irrelevant. (I'm with Paca) But she did give an interview, and there is some substance to the opinions being expressed about her. I certainly didn't look at her hair and teeth and draw conclussions about her.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Nobility

Oh, and swimming lessons to kids in light of the troubles in south africa is like giving to charity by tossing a penny in a fountain.....
Old 08-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Courtier

Oh, I definitely agree...thus she threw in the comment about Nelson Mandela. She lacks intellectual curiosity -- even if she doesn't have a formal education she doesn't seem that interested in what is going on in the world around her. She's focused only on things that touch her awareness of the world that she knows. And I agree, the mismatched luggage didn't bother me as one was her purse which matched her outfit. What did bother me is that she has succumbed to that nutty trend where women fold up their jeans once halfway up their legs...then again, I'm old so those "trendy" things are lost on me.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Nobility

well, I'm old but not that old and it looks stupid IMO. Not just on her, on everyone. Who knows, maybe she'll surprise us someday? I'm still trying to figure out if her departure from the Airport shots, were "out of Albert's life" shots. We'll have to wait and she where she turns up next I guess.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahteresa
I know. I get it. Does not change anything I mentioned. I can understand why she would not want to talk about any polictical issue but I can probably list ten altruistic ways she could have responded to some of the questions posed to her. But she did not and it is likely because she cannot see the world beyond her own athletic acheivements. (A point you made for me in your own post pinklady.) It is my personaly opnion that this view, held by anyone dating a prince or not, is shallow. Education is everything. When she said Grades did not matter to her, she basically said, education does not matter to her because they are the bench mark in the academic world.

My comments were my opinion and impression of her interview. Something I thought I would bring up because chatting about her unmatched luggage is irrelevant. (I'm with Paca) But she did give an interview, and there is some substance to the opinions being expressed about her. I certainly didn't look at her hair and teeth and draw conclussions about her.
I agree with both of you. I will probably get pounced on for this statement but don't you think the parents attitude toward sports has a lot to do with the child's outlook? Pink was an ice skater and she's not in her own little bubble. I was an athlete but my parnets insisted on good grades or no sport. I do think that for some athletes it becomes"all about me" and thus a shallow view of the world. THere was that one athlete at the last olympics who donated his medal earnings to a children's fund and also got rejected from Harvard. But at least he had a game plan post sports and I'm sure he went on to get into a really good school even though I believe he was in his mid-20s.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Not trying to generalize all atheletes and all young people. And by all means...I am not trying to excuse the article (that I haven't read). But how many young people today are conscious of the world around them?

Actually..I correct that statement...I think today's kids (due to the recent wars, bombings, human nature diasters) are more conscious of what is going on the world. But someone of Charlene's age...when she was younger...she focused on swimming and that was probably it.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
For all of the criticism of Charlene, not many members ever point out that this is Albert's M.O. If he does ever marry I certainly don't think he will marry someone who will upstage him...
I agree Laviollette, marrying someone that upstages him would not be good. However, I would like to see him marry someone who is emotionally strong and who can mentally challenge him. Someone who inspires him to be more competent than he ever thought he could be.

If Charlene is the one, then I hope she will fulfill this role for him.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Aristocracy

Based on Alberts overall behavior I feel that they may be emotional equals and I think that she does challenge him mentally. Albert may be the male version of this girl. I just don't think he'd have anything to do with her if they weren't compatible emotionally and intellectually. Just thinking out loud.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Sorry guys but its the nature of the beast (the press and what the world wants)...anyone Albert marries is going to upstage him. He is constantly being upstaged by his sisters....he just doesn't have a gotcha personality! Everyone one is going to want to know ALL ABOUT the woman who captured Grace's son. Where she went to school, her family, her first love, her clothes, EVERYTHING. Whether its Charlene or someone else....Albert will pale in comparison.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Serene Highness

I have to agree with Zonk1189 and Heidi P. Albert will marry whomever he wants to, if he wants to. For all my comments about Charlene (some of which I admit are not so generous) If she's the none for him, then so be it.

Actually, I think Charlene looked really nice at the Rose Ball and she did look like she fit right in with everyone else there. If she can do it, and is willing to deal with all that, why wouldn't she make a good princess?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Serene Highness

must say lots of comment about charlene this charlene that ,
dont know why because Albert isnt such a great catch ..............ok he's got money so what !! at the end of the day if he marry's her , " They are both lucky to find someone"
Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillia
I have to agree with Zonk1189 and Heidi P. Albert will marry whomever he wants to, if he wants to. For all my comments about Charlene (some of which I admit are not so generous) If she's the none for him, then so be it.

Actually, I think Charlene looked really nice at the Rose Ball and she did look like she fit right in with everyone else there. If she can do it, and is willing to deal with all that, why wouldn't she make a good princess?
Is the bolded section a Freudian slip??

Yes, Albert will marry whomever he wants to within reason. If he can't make a wise judgment as to whom he should spend the rest of his life with, how can he trusted to do the same for his country? Yes, 50% of marriages end up in divorce, but when you are a public figure the stakes are much higher. She looked like she fit in, but you have to ask did she really? Is it all an illusion? Wish I could have been a fly on the wall...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady1991
Is the bolded section a Freudian slip??

Yes, Albert will marry whomever he wants to within reason. If he can't make a wise judgment as to whom he should spend the rest of his life with, how can he trusted to do the same for his country? Yes, 50% of marriages end up in divorce, but when you are a public figure the stakes are much higher. She looked like she fit in, but you have to ask did she really? Is it all an illusion? Wish I could have been a fly on the wall...
Oops, I didn't catch that. Sorry, it must be a slip of some kind. I was trying to make a nice comment in Charlene's favor and I was trying to be sincere about it...

honest. I was trying to be nice, not mean. Well...what's the point me bashing her all the time, right?...

She deserves to do well for herself too...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Royal Highness

All the hairs in the back of my neck stands up seeing her.
She is a swimmer. As no any other they work so very hard to finish in 1/10 of a second earlier than the other. They are very physical.

Chiselled bronze bodies of young athletes in the blossom of their lives all around them.

But no. She chose a balding fat 50-years old father of two. It is hard not to see a gold digger in her. The same feeling I had with Máxima by the way. With Letizia I can understand that she can fall in love with Felipe, he is simply a very goodlooking guy.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

When a person is not goodlooking, that doesn t mean that the only way somebody else can fall in love is when (s)he has a lot of money. There are to many reasons why people fall in love (money and looks are among them, for sure), and only Charlene knows why. I don´t care for what reason she is dating him, he seems to be happy with her, as is she, so it works for them.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
All the hairs in the back of my neck stands up seeing her.
She is a swimmer. As no any other they work so very hard to finish in 1/10 of a second earlier than the other. They are very physical.

Chiselled bronze bodies of young athletes in the blossom of their lives all around them.

But no. She chose a balding fat 50-years old father of two. It is hard not to see a gold digger in her. The same feeling I had with Máxima by the way. With Letizia I can understand that she can fall in love with Felipe, he is simply a very goodlooking guy.
Henri,

You may be right about Charlene and she may be a gold digger, but even though Albert is a little chubby and balding, he is still handsome! He is charming enough to attract women even if he wasn't rich or important!
I'm very happily married, so I'm not saying this because I want him for myself
I just think Prince Albert is still cute and charming, despite his love handles. (A lot of us women just don't mind about the balding part at all)
Old 08-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness

Do you think that miss Wittstock, with her lack of life- and work experience, her poor education and 25 years younger than her partner and not mastering French language can be a lady who can deliver 60 years of devoted service to the Principality, also when she is the Dowager Princess when she will be around 50?

I really doubt it. This balding father of two should simply marry a lady from the French nobility or bourgeoisie. You stumble over goodlooking, well-educated and fantastich french-speaking ladies.

Miss Wittstock should return to Cape Town or Pretoria and find herself a nice handsome guy. This is ridiculous.