Charlene Wittstock Current Events 5 : August 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lynda said:
After reading some of the latest post concerning PA and CW relationship, it seems we are right back on that speculative road of no return..........

Well said!

Last edited by a moderator:
LadyMichelle said:
As I can read, there are a lot of magazines saing the same thing that a lot of people in this message board is writing: wrong dresses, no culture, no charme etc etc...
Havn't found one of those mags so far, and as lynda said, I don't give so much to what they are writing.....

LadyMichelle said:
Do you remember what ranieri says about Grace, some days before they wedding?

"I liked this girl because coming from a country like America and the hollywood world, she has been treated as stranger. But She has learned the language. She talked to the people using her heart, she gave them something to dream, she permitted to them to be part of a dream.":wub:
I don't think he said that before their marriage.... Grace didn't speak french at first, she had to learn it.... And the monegasque people couldn't stand her. It took Grace years to win their hearts.... But this is another subject....

LadyMichelle said:
Ok, maybe Charlene will not marry Albert. As you said she is not his fiancè, but we are waiting for a princess. Not only a simple wife. We are waiting for a Girl that will love Albert that's clear, but also we are waiting for a strong girl with big personality that can help Albert to manage this state, and why not, a Girl that can give to us something to dream, something of romantic, and glamourous...
Todays life is not a fairytale anymore, and it wasn't a fairytale 50 years ago when Grace came to Monaco. She had a tough time in the beginning. And again we all don't know Charlene. We all don't know her personality, and so it makes no sense to me to judge her from a few events or some pics. She is just his companion. Not more and not less.

LadyMichelle said:
I think that Charlene has got a big personality, but, she don't show it. This is the pity.... :huh:
And there is also no need for her to show us her personalty. She has no official function.

tbhrc said:
Havn't found one of those mags so far, and as lynda said, I don't give so much to what they are writing.....

I don't think he said that before their marriage.... Grace didn't speak french at first, she had to learn it.... And the monegasque people couldn't stand her. It took Grace years to win their hearts.... But this is another subject....

Todays life is not a fairytale anymore, and it wasn't a fairytale 50 years ago when Grace came to Monaco. She had a tough time in the beginning. And again we all don't know Charlene. We all don't know her personality, and so it makes no sense to me to judge her from a few events or some pics. She is just his companion. Not more and not less.

And there is also no need for her to show us her personalty. She has no official function.

One word : .... right !!!

Its amazing how time can colour and/or change peoples perceptions and/or memories. We live in a world where coutless information (good or bad) is at our fingertips and we have such high expectations. We expect the men and women who marry our Royals (I say our because as royalty watchers I feel as though we are one family so to speak) to be ready made and cookie cutter. Once dating they should dress a ceratin way, carry themselves a certain way and talk a certain way because they are dating a Prince/Princess. But they can't. They are regular folks just like us. And the Prince and Princesses who they are dating have YEARS of talking, dressing and acting a certain way. Its not like there is a Princess school that everyone can go to. It takes years to become really polished. And then I am sure we will hear sighs that peole miss the old Charlene.

I think its really unfair that some are comparing Charlene to Princess Grace and Caroline (this is directed to no one in particular). Grace is an icon and for a time...well...even her daughter couldn't live up to her...so its really unfair to expect someone who wasn't born in a priivileged family, an Oscar winning actress to be like her. It took years for Princess Grace to be PRINCESS GRACE.

I didn't know Princess Grace personally...but I am going to take a guess that should would want her son to be happy with a supportive mate who would love him for who he is and not what is he. And if she has broad shoulders, uses mixed up luggage, has not completed high school school, but brings a smile to his face...she might be okay with that.

Charlene Wittstock: Current Events Part 5

paca said:
Oh please, aren't there more important things in this world then Charlen wittstock traveling with two unmatching suitcases? I am surely not a fan of hers, but really that is the least of her problems. If she is going to be a rpincess of Monaco, I expect a lot more of her then owning matching luggage and clothes that make her look good. IMO she could be more beautiful then Grace, have all the wonderful clothes in the world and always smile at the right time when a camera is pointed her way so you guys can say what a wonderful princess. To me she still would't do anything. I want to see someone who loves Albert for the man he is, not his title, someone who shares his ideals and will help him to realize them, someone who will help his humantarian projects, someone who will be there for him and support him when times are rough and not someone who will create additional stress by giving unsuitable interviews and using his postion to promote her own image. And frankly to me Charlene has nothing of what I expect of a wife for Albert. It looks at present as if he is of a different opinion and I might have to get used to seeing her around here (though I still have hope). BUt her unmatching suitcases is really not sth that should and would prevent her from becoming a princess.

Paca I agree with what you have written. It is very sensible. You are there so you know how Monaco works and reacts. From what I understand Albert is the absolute ruler of Monaco - not a figurehead like other royal house so his choice of a wife is important. It's also human nature to want to know more about her. If she is going to be out in the public then people are going to speculate.

LadyMichelle said:
Yes, that it's true. But can you compare Charlene to others european modern princesses, like Mary or Letizia?

:rolleyes:
I don't think all Modern Princesses started off perfect. They were all groomed for the roles & it took time. Charlene looks like she is dressed for comfort at the airport. I never pay attention to how I look at an airport....& if you look at snap shots of other celebs when they are at airports they are not dressed to the 9s- they aren't wearing makeup, have hats on & are dressed for the nice long flights that they are going on.
She is still a private citizen- she just happens to be dating, is the companion, etc. of a very public figure. JMO

Zonk1189 said:
I didn't know Princess Grace personally...but I am going to take a guess that should would want her son to be happy with a supportive mate who would love him for who he is and not what is he. And if she has broad shoulders, uses mixed up luggage, has not completed high school school, but brings a smile to his face...she might be okay with that.

Don't forget the inadequate hairdo and bad clothing choices that everyone has been complaining about.... haha - I'm kidding, and I'm agreeing with you. My goodness but we are a tough crowd, poor Charlene for even looking at Prince Albert when she's got those shoulders going on! What was she thinking??!!! Oh, I remember, he approached her because he was attracted to her. Maybe it's time everyone stops picking on her and asks him what he was thinking.

starnightsky said:
From what I understand Albert is the absolute ruler of Monaco - not a figurehead like other royal house so his choice of a wife is important.

I disagree. I don't care what kind of suit Angela Merkel's husband is wearing or what he is doing. Her decision are important and not her husbands outfit or education. The same with Prince Albert. His ruling has nothing to do with Charlene or any other woman he was dating.

For all of the criticism of Charlene, not many members ever point out that this is Albert's M.O. If he does ever marry I certainly don't think he will marry someone who will upstage him except that she will be pretty. He's not looking for a Harvard graduate, he never has. I keep reading that Charlene is not the kind of woman who will fulfill the demanding role of princess with charities to support and representing Monaco around the world. Even if that's true, it is Albert's choice and that's not Charlene's fault. As far as any comparison to Mary and Letizia, I've said again and again that Albert doesn't go for that kind of woman and anyway lets just be grateful for Mary and Letizia instead of seeking their clones. They are great princesses.

tbhrc said:
I disagree. I don't care what kind of suit Angela Merkel's husband is wearing or what he is doing. Her decision are important and not her husbands outfit or education. The same with Prince Albert. His ruling has nothing to do with Charlene or any other woman he was dating.
Alot of people were interested in Doris Schroeder-Koepf and Hilary Clinton though (and not only for their haircuts), because they were women who cearly had an influence on their husbands politics. Remember that after the elections in Germany Schroeder was behaving pretty macho towards Angela Merkel and he got told off by his wife? that was all over the news and considered very important. Her commenting her husbands behaviour as "suboptimal" and he publicly admitting and excusing himself was quite unusual. We also know from Clinton himself that Hillary was a very important advisor to him. Of course it depends on the role that Albert wants his wife to play or the role that his wife will chose for herself (Angela Merkels husband has his own career, besides men give a little less to talk about then women), but none the less whom he choses to marry might well have an impact on political decisions in Monaco.

But for the moment he has not made any announcement to that matter, so we will just have to wait.

If anyone wants to get a clear opinion of Charlene they can read the interview she gave to Paris Match. I tried to find it but was unsuccessful, maybe someone remembers where the link was posted. She gave an interview and had a wonderful opportunity to tell the world who she is, and she did. More in what she did not say than in what she did say.

This is my impression: she talked about herself, her youth, her swimming, her olympic track record, herself and some more of herself. I guess when you give an interview about yourself this is to expected but, but, I did not read one word or one answer that appeared altruistic. Altruism is from the french altruisme. It is defined in the dictionary as an unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.

I understand, she was not being interviewed about the AIDS crisis in south africa but it would not have hurt her to say a word or two about something other than herself. She came across to me as shallow.

Zonk1189 said:
And if she has broad shoulders, uses mixed up luggage, has not completed high school school, but brings a smile to his face...she might be okay with that.

Brings a smile to his face .... :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes he has been smiling the whole circle in the past few months, especially around her (i.e. in the pictures we have seen, of course).
1087.gif

leahteresa said:
This is my impression: she talked about herself, her youth, her swimming, her olympic track record, herself and some more of herself. I guess when you give an interview about yourself this is to expected but, but, I did not read one word or one answer that appeared altruistic. Altruism is from the french altruisme. It is defined in the dictionary as an unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.

Charlene, like most elite athletes, lived a highly sheltered life that is completely focused on the present. Her focus was qualifying for the Olympics, or a world championship, or whatever competition presented itself, and then once there, winning a medal. It's a very unbalanced life. By her own admission, grades were not important so I'm sure she only took the bare minimum of classes she had to take and then was off swimming. Making good grades wasn't going to help her get where she wanted to go. And, God bless her, she had the talent and drive and discipline to compete with the best but she really couldn't see beyond her competitve days.

I only know figure skating well and for every top competitor that has a college degree there are at least nine more that didn't finish high school or got a GED or high school diploma through a correspondence course. Even when they do attend college, it often takes six, seven or more years to get their degree. Alicia Warlick just graduated from Harvard: her friends from her first days there or at Stanford have long since graduated. I believe she should have been in the Class of 2000 or something. Charlene's teenage life was home, the pool, and in what free time she had, living a "normal" life hanging out with friends. That could account for a lot of her naivete when it came to the interview. She had different kinds of experiences traveling all over the world with the team, but none of them forced her to contemplate any particular country's history or culture. She was never really encouraged to think about anything other than swimming and winning. Therefore she couldn't extrapolate on other subjects that would give more insight into who she is as a person.

From what I remember from the Paris-Match interview, the questions were submitted prior to the interview. Dawn East probably coached her on what to say to make it sound like she was a totally disciplined athlete who was picked out of a crowd by a prince. The last part talked about how she loved to travel, particularly in Europe and about giving swimming lessons to children. Her PR person probably guided her not to talk about things that would seem to be making a "statement" or subjects that she could easily get tripped up on in an interview. Therefore, she could only talk about what she knew and that is swimming and herself.

Last edited:
I know. I get it. Does not change anything I mentioned. I can understand why she would not want to talk about any polictical issue but I can probably list ten altruistic ways she could have responded to some of the questions posed to her. But she did not and it is likely because she cannot see the world beyond her own athletic acheivements. (A point you made for me in your own post pinklady.) It is my personaly opnion that this view, held by anyone dating a prince or not, is shallow. Education is everything. When she said Grades did not matter to her, she basically said, education does not matter to her because they are the bench mark in the academic world.

My comments were my opinion and impression of her interview. Something I thought I would bring up because chatting about her unmatched luggage is irrelevant. (I'm with Paca) But she did give an interview, and there is some substance to the opinions being expressed about her. I certainly didn't look at her hair and teeth and draw conclussions about her.

Oh, and swimming lessons to kids in light of the troubles in south africa is like giving to charity by tossing a penny in a fountain.....

Oh, I definitely agree...thus she threw in the comment about Nelson Mandela. She lacks intellectual curiosity -- even if she doesn't have a formal education she doesn't seem that interested in what is going on in the world around her. She's focused only on things that touch her awareness of the world that she knows. And I agree, the mismatched luggage didn't bother me as one was her purse which matched her outfit. What did bother me is that she has succumbed to that nutty trend where women fold up their jeans once halfway up their legs...then again, I'm old so those "trendy" things are lost on me.

well, I'm old but not that old and it looks stupid IMO. Not just on her, on everyone. Who knows, maybe she'll surprise us someday? I'm still trying to figure out if her departure from the Airport shots, were "out of Albert's life" shots. We'll have to wait and she where she turns up next I guess.

leahteresa said:
I know. I get it. Does not change anything I mentioned. I can understand why she would not want to talk about any polictical issue but I can probably list ten altruistic ways she could have responded to some of the questions posed to her. But she did not and it is likely because she cannot see the world beyond her own athletic acheivements. (A point you made for me in your own post pinklady.) It is my personaly opnion that this view, held by anyone dating a prince or not, is shallow. Education is everything. When she said Grades did not matter to her, she basically said, education does not matter to her because they are the bench mark in the academic world.

My comments were my opinion and impression of her interview. Something I thought I would bring up because chatting about her unmatched luggage is irrelevant. (I'm with Paca) But she did give an interview, and there is some substance to the opinions being expressed about her. I certainly didn't look at her hair and teeth and draw conclussions about her.

I agree with both of you. I will probably get pounced on for this statement but don't you think the parents attitude toward sports has a lot to do with the child's outlook? Pink was an ice skater and she's not in her own little bubble. I was an athlete but my parnets insisted on good grades or no sport. I do think that for some athletes it becomes"all about me" and thus a shallow view of the world. THere was that one athlete at the last olympics who donated his medal earnings to a children's fund and also got rejected from Harvard. But at least he had a game plan post sports and I'm sure he went on to get into a really good school even though I believe he was in his mid-20s.

Not trying to generalize all atheletes and all young people. And by all means...I am not trying to excuse the article (that I haven't read). But how many young people today are conscious of the world around them?

Actually..I correct that statement...I think today's kids (due to the recent wars, bombings, human nature diasters) are more conscious of what is going on the world. But someone of Charlene's age...when she was younger...she focused on swimming and that was probably it.

Laviollette said:
For all of the criticism of Charlene, not many members ever point out that this is Albert's M.O. If he does ever marry I certainly don't think he will marry someone who will upstage him...

I agree Laviollette, marrying someone that upstages him would not be good. However, I would like to see him marry someone who is emotionally strong and who can mentally challenge him. Someone who inspires him to be more competent than he ever thought he could be.

If Charlene is the one, then I hope she will fulfill this role for him.

Based on Alberts overall behavior I feel that they may be emotional equals and I think that she does challenge him mentally. Albert may be the male version of this girl. I just don't think he'd have anything to do with her if they weren't compatible emotionally and intellectually. Just thinking out loud.

Sorry guys but its the nature of the beast (the press and what the world wants)...anyone Albert marries is going to upstage him. He is constantly being upstaged by his sisters....he just doesn't have a gotcha personality! Everyone one is going to want to know ALL ABOUT the woman who captured Grace's son. Where she went to school, her family, her first love, her clothes, EVERYTHING. Whether its Charlene or someone else....Albert will pale in comparison.

I have to agree with Zonk1189 and Heidi P. Albert will marry whomever he wants to, if he wants to. For all my comments about Charlene (some of which I admit are not so generous) If she's the none for him, then so be it.

Actually, I think Charlene looked really nice at the Rose Ball and she did look like she fit right in with everyone else there. If she can do it, and is willing to deal with all that, why wouldn't she make a good princess?

must say lots of comment about charlene this charlene that ,
dont know why because Albert isnt such a great catch ..............ok he's got money so what !! at the end of the day if he marry's her , " They are both lucky to find someone"

Lillia said:
I have to agree with Zonk1189 and Heidi P. Albert will marry whomever he wants to, if he wants to. For all my comments about Charlene (some of which I admit are not so generous) If she's the none for him, then so be it.

Actually, I think Charlene looked really nice at the Rose Ball and she did look like she fit right in with everyone else there. If she can do it, and is willing to deal with all that, why wouldn't she make a good princess?

Is the bolded section a Freudian slip?? :rolleyes:

Yes, Albert will marry whomever he wants to within reason. If he can't make a wise judgment as to whom he should spend the rest of his life with, how can he trusted to do the same for his country? Yes, 50% of marriages end up in divorce, but when you are a public figure the stakes are much higher. She looked like she fit in, but you have to ask did she really? Is it all an illusion? Wish I could have been a fly on the wall...

pinklady1991 said:
Is the bolded section a Freudian slip?? :rolleyes:

Yes, Albert will marry whomever he wants to within reason. If he can't make a wise judgment as to whom he should spend the rest of his life with, how can he trusted to do the same for his country? Yes, 50% of marriages end up in divorce, but when you are a public figure the stakes are much higher. She looked like she fit in, but you have to ask did she really? Is it all an illusion? Wish I could have been a fly on the wall...

Oops, I didn't catch that:rolleyes:. Sorry, it must be a slip of some kind. I was trying to make a nice comment in Charlene's favor and I was trying to be sincere about it...

honest. I was trying to be nice, not mean. Well...what's the point me bashing her all the time, right?...

She deserves to do well for herself too...

All the hairs in the back of my neck stands up seeing her.
She is a swimmer. As no any other they work so very hard to finish in 1/10 of a second earlier than the other. They are very physical.

Chiselled bronze bodies of young athletes in the blossom of their lives all around them.

But no. She chose a balding fat 50-years old father of two. It is hard not to see a gold digger in her. The same feeling I had with Máxima by the way. With Letizia I can understand that she can fall in love with Felipe, he is simply a very goodlooking guy.

When a person is not goodlooking, that doesn t mean that the only way somebody else can fall in love is when (s)he has a lot of money. There are to many reasons why people fall in love (money and looks are among them, for sure), and only Charlene knows why. I don´t care for what reason she is dating him, he seems to be happy with her, as is she, so it works for them.

Henri M. said:
All the hairs in the back of my neck stands up seeing her.
She is a swimmer. As no any other they work so very hard to finish in 1/10 of a second earlier than the other. They are very physical.

Chiselled bronze bodies of young athletes in the blossom of their lives all around them.

But no. She chose a balding fat 50-years old father of two. It is hard not to see a gold digger in her. The same feeling I had with Máxima by the way. With Letizia I can understand that she can fall in love with Felipe, he is simply a very goodlooking guy.
Henri,

You may be right about Charlene and she may be a gold digger, but even though Albert is a little chubby and balding, he is still handsome! He is charming enough to attract women even if he wasn't rich or important!
I'm very happily married, so I'm not saying this because I want him for myself:ROFLMAO:
I just think Prince Albert is still cute and charming, despite his love handles. (A lot of us women just don't mind about the balding part at all)

Do you think that miss Wittstock, with her lack of life- and work experience, her poor education and 25 years younger than her partner and not mastering French language can be a lady who can deliver 60 years of devoted service to the Principality, also when she is the Dowager Princess when she will be around 50?

I really doubt it. This balding father of two should simply marry a lady from the French nobility or bourgeoisie. You stumble over goodlooking, well-educated and fantastich french-speaking ladies.

Miss Wittstock should return to Cape Town or Pretoria and find herself a nice handsome guy. This is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom