The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suonymona
PA really wants the press to respect his privacy (pause for chuckles).

But by attaching Charlene to the suit, he is giving her more status, which is just making the tongue (and mouse) wagging worse.

Ann
If he didn't want the press around them, he should have not taken her to Torino and on vacation and paraded around for the press. I still feel that someone tipped off the press for that b/c it was a pretty secluded resort. Yes, some of the photos were of private moments, but you can't have it both ways.

Yes, I guess she is officially his gf now, but it's a weird public statement, more like she's his official mistress. I can't see the Catholic Church smiling too broadly on this impending union...it may be the 21st century for everyone else, but Rome probably expects more discretion from such public figures.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarindi
Albert of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock will sue Paris Match

Albert de Monaco et Charlene Wittstock vont assigner Paris Match

"MONACO (AFP) - Le prince Albert II de Monaco et la nageuse sud-africaine Charlene Wikttstock vont assigner Hachette Filipacchi Associés (société éditrice de l'hebdomadaire Paris Match), a déclaré vendredi à l'AFP Me Thierry Lacoste, avocat de la famille Grimaldi.
"Au nom du prince et de Charlene Wittstock, je vais assigner la société éditrice de Paris Match en dommages et intérêts pour atteinte à la vie privée et atteinte au droit à l'image", a déclaré Me Lacoste joint par téléphone"
http://fr.news.yahoo.com/24032006/20...ris-match.html

google translation:

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Tamar
I think he should fire his lawyer and get his head examined. You can't sue them for publishing paparazzi fotos (for whom they were obviously posing once they noticed them), then arrange an interview with PM for her in order to have some sort of publicity for her and then sue them.

I suppose that he is not pleased with what people think of her (since the mags didn't report anything bad, on the contrary they already style them as THE glamour couple which obviously many of us fail to see) as he has probably been told or read himself on all sorts of boards. But that is his own fault not PMs or any other magazines. It is time he'd take some responsibility for his actions instead of blaming it on others. (is he turning into Princess Di?). There is nothing wrong with protecting his privacy and I respect what he has done so far. But you can't go to an international media event smooshing with your gf as a head of state and hope no one will notice.

If he wants her to be seen positive he has to get together BEFORE he goes public with his highly paid PR advisors (they can't do a good job, when he doesn't talk to them !!!) and not come running afterwards like a spoilt brat running to mummy (in this case justice) once the dammage is done and blame his own deficiencies on others. The damage he causes now to the image of MC is much greater then the harm that he experiences in his private life. He is going to make people serious doubt his competence and his leadership. He is making himself a laughing stock (the comedians will have a field day there) and MC with it. I am absolutely disappointed in what's happening presently and makes me wonder - to put it bluntly- whether he doesn't have some screws loose here. This is not what MC needs and even if I am not thrilled by CW, if he would have handled the situation more souvereign (just as it says in his title Prince souvereign), I might have just ignored her as long as he does a good job, but lately I don't see much of that either. And I am starting to think that ever since he has been in SA in December things are slowly going downhill in regards to his job. If that is her influence on him, god help us if she is his real McCoy.:( :( :(

Old 03-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Nobility

Wink

How can he sue when he was in a public place and the pictures were taken. It seems to me if wanted privacy he would have stayed on a private island and not where the press could get at him. If he wanted it private it could have been he knows how to do this quite well it seems

I dont think it's her influence on him he is a grown man and should know better. He probably embarrassed himself and found people were not impressed with her or his behaviour. And has decided to blame the press and say they invaded his privacy .
Old 03-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Nobility

Not again <very deep sigh here>. I really don't understand PA. Why?

The lawsuit against Paris Match over the whole NC/Alexandre thing was stupid. If he had to sue anyone, it was NC. She went to the media and you can't shoot the messenger. (Worst bit was that PM lost).
And now PM again. It's not as if they were the first mag to publish the pictures either. Has PA a private vendetta against PM or something? And why?

Sorry, but I don't see the logic here. I don't even see sense here.

A question for anyone who has had the chance to read the article:
I found it a strange article, not fitting to PM at all. More a tabloidy thingy with barely any text and only pictures. It gave me the feeling that they only did it to annoy PA. Is that just me?

G.
<De-lurking to express utter incomprehension>
Old 03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine
Not again <very deep sigh here>. I really don't understand PA. Why?

The lawsuit against Paris Match over the whole NC/Alexandre thing was stupid. If he had to sue anyone, it was NC. She went to the media and you can't shoot the messenger. (Worst bit was that PM lost).
And now PM again. It's not as if they were the first mag to publish the pictures either. Has PA a private vendetta against PM or something? And why?

Sorry, but I don't see the logic here. I don't even see sense here.

A question for anyone who has had the chance to read the article:
I found it a strange article, not fitting to PM at all. More a tabloidy thingy with barely any text and only pictures. It gave me the feeling that they only did it to annoy PA. Is that just me?

G.
<De-lurking to express utter incomprehension>
Maybe that's why he's sueing them there. If they would stick to thir well prepared articles they'd be better of that's for sure.
Could it be there's some invader at Maris Match ?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
All American citizens living in MC have to pay tax to the US.
Yes, this is true. Doesn't matter where you live, if your a US citizen, you have to pay taxes, if you keep your money in a US bank. And I do believe Grace had to give up her citizenship. American citizens are forbidden by the constitution to hold any titles. She could not legally or officially take on the title of Princess without forfitting her citizenship.

As for this lawsuit. I think it's probably just for show. Maybe trying to salvage her reputation but in any case, them travelling around shacking up in hotel rooms does not make her look good. It does make her look more like a mistress than a princess. Largely because of her own behavior. She was all over him. Not necessarily inappropriate, but not such a good PR move, and the kind of thing that makes people speculate about her motives. I do not think he will win. He was in a public place and in a good number of the pictures they were both smiling at the camera.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Serene Highness

this business on Albert suing magazines for taking and publishing photos of him is tiresome.

He paraded her around in public at the absolute highest profile event in the world.

She gave interview to the magazine -- now they supposed are suing PM. For what reason??

Who is she that she can sue the magazine after parading around and hanging all over Albert like that -- and he let her do it in public. They were not trying to hide anything!

If Prince Charles of England sued every magazine for taking pictures of him while he was going around he'd be suing everybody, always.

And as far as PA his being taken advantage of by women, I begin to wonder how much he sets himself up for? He's almost 50 yr old man, experienced in many, many things, should understand women by now, and should know better when it comes to his and other people's behavior. He has his whole life experience being a Prince, and he understands what it means (at least he should by now).

How could one believe he is so completely innocent on such matters?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Serene Highness

i also find it hard to believe that women can take advantage of him but i have a question. i havent watch other royal couples dateing so did any of them behave like charlene and prince albert? or were they more traditional in their behavior?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare
i also find it hard to believe that women can take advantage of him but i have a question. i havent watch other royal couples dateing so did any of them behave like charlene and prince albert? or were they more traditional in their behavior?
Leti and Felipe were incredibly discreet and Mary and Fred were pretty discreet too, but they always managed to show affection just not to the extent of Albi. and Maxi and Alex did not behave like that so basically no, they were all pretty smart about it.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness

I believe the most recent couple is Prince Joachim of Denmark with his new gf. They have both been seen before (though not like PA and CW), rumours were out and she gave an interview to a mag to talk about it. He was asked about it and confirmed that he was a happy man. All very decent from what I gather though it was apparently unusual that she would get her say first. I think it was not badly done and I also think that people will be much less all over them, criticising their behaviour. They sort of got themselves "permission" from the public (besides she seems a pretty stylish, ladylike person, so I doubt any "off" behaviour has to be feared there).

As to PA sueing PM, Frances laws are pretty strikt. They might have had to join CW in it in order to have a chance to win. She is a private person and has a right to kiss her bf whereever, whenever and whichever way she likes. Things are different with him now. If he would win though, it would be a very unpopular decision and I am sure that this, as well as its predecessor, will end up at the European court. Since in other countries the same publications have been made and it is unlikely that he would win in any of them if he even tried to sue, the european court might actually get France to change things closer to the standards of other countries (with regards to liberty of the press, especially since they were in both cases not telling lies) and that will ultimately backfire not only on the Grimaldis, but a lot of other people as well. So if that happens, PA will not be very popular with a lot of high profile people. (btw he and his sisters are already on the top of the list of making the most money out of these law suits)

In any case I still believe that if you are in a certain position and you don't want to be photographed in certain ways, just don't do it then you don't need to complain after.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillia
this business on Albert suing magazines for taking and publishing photos of him is tiresome.

He paraded her around in public at the absolute highest profile event in the world.

She gave interview to the magazine -- now they supposed are suing PM. For what reason??

Who is she that she can sue the magazine after parading around and hanging all over Albert like that -- and he let her do it in public. They were not trying to hide anything!

If Prince Charles of England sued every magazine for taking pictures of him while he was going around he'd be suing everybody, always.

And as far as PA his being taken advantage of by women, I begin to wonder how much he sets himself up for? He's almost 50 yr old man, experienced in many, many things, should understand women by now, and should know better when it comes to his and other people's behavior. He has his whole life experience being a Prince, and he understands what it means (at least he should by now).

How could one believe he is so completely innocent on such matters?
He and his girlfriend have no right to sue. PA has become distasteful as far as I'm concerned and the women in his life are also. As far as him being taken advantage of, he brings it all on himself. As you've said, he is almost 50 and he still dates women in their 20's, immature women and uneducated women. He is now starting to look like a dirty old man. MC will never get the princess they're after; accomplished, educated, mature and in her thirties b/c Albert doesn't go for that type of woman. There is no reason to look to MC for a princess that many will admire. Again, PA doesn't like those kinds of women. There are plenty of new princesses in Europe to admire who are accomplished, educated, mature thirtysomethings. :)
Old 03-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
He and his girlfriend have no right to sue. PA has become distasteful as far as I'm concerned and the women in his life are also. As far as him being taken advantage of, he brings it all on himself. As you've said, he is almost 50 and he still dates women in their 20's, immature women and uneducated women. He is now starting to look like a dirty old man. MC will never get the princess they're after; accomplished, educated, mature and in her thirties b/c Albert doesn't go for that type of woman. There is no reason to look to MC for a princess that many will admire. Again, PA doesn't like those kinds of women. There are plenty of new princesses in Europe to admire who are accomplished, educated, mature thirtysomethings. :)
Well, I don't know so much about them not getting the Princess they want -- maybe not soon and maybe not from Albert. But who knows? Only him -- and Charlene (I guess).

But I wonder this:

how much heavier are PA royal burdens than the burdens for the other CPs on finding love and marrying? those other CP (and ones before them, and their brothers) found love and even his own sisters manage to find love more than once...

would the role for PA wife be so much more difficult than any other like Maxima, Mary of Letizia or Mette-Marit?

are PA parents more famous and admired than other older royals, like QEII or Beatrix or any of the others? I know PA has said any woman would have a hard time coming behind his mother, but would she have so much more a hard time than someone like Duchess of Cornwall or Mary of Denmark or Maxima?

imo, this Albert/Charlene thing is pushing it with them suing the magazines, after they paraded themselves in public at the highest profile sporting event on the planet...

I like PA, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts on his behaviour and I start to wonder how much he brings onto himself. A Prince at 50 yrs. old he should know better
Old 03-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Aristocracy

" And I am starting to think that ever since he has been in SA in December things are slowly going downhill in regards to his job. If that is her influence on him, god help us if she is his real McCoy." Quote from Paca

I really agree with you Paca. CW really brings Prince Albert down. Love should do the opposite --I think she's a bad influence.
You have to hand it to her----
She's a true seductress: not good-looking, no education, unladylike,camera loving----and he's crazy for her...
The first Prince Albert was married more than once--I have a feeling this one will too.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Commoner

I'm fairly new to this forum and have spent quite a bit of time reading and educating myself about some of the royal families. I have to say that to see a head of state acting like a love-struck schoolboy does seem to be a little off. I would hope that at his age, even if he is in love, he would have the maturity to step back and act with some discretion. She is young and her actions can be dismissed, but he could exert some control and limit the public display for the paparazzi. He should have some PR people who can do their job and he should listen. He's not the playboy soon-to-be heir, he is now the reigning prince and should behave with the dignity of the position. Just my two cents...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Aristocracy

Where has PA acted out of conduct as a ruler of Monaco? He has not committed any crime. What has PA and CW done so awful other than displaying affection? Did someone see some explicit pictures or read an article of them being this way? What has he done so unnatural?

I am missing something in these comments. I can understand PA being in a leadership position, but to display affection for someone you adore is not a horrible thing. I have looked at these pictures so many times and the only thing I see is two people displaying affection for one another. In my opinion, it is time for PA to get married and settle down. He always said he will only marry for love, so maybe this is his time. Maybe he found someone he truly love and someone who shares his personality. It is possible the other women he dated in the past just did not click for him. Everybody has to find their own nitch and perhaps Charlene is his nitch. There is nothing etched in stone where a princess or wife have to be a certain way. It is the individuals involved who expectation of each other is important, not outsiders.

The other young royal couples seeking marriage had to follow protocol because of inheritance. This could be the reason their behaviors were different than Albert’s in public. This is probably why their companions had to behave a certain way to receive approval. Look how long it has taken Albert to truly find someone of his choice and not the choice of his father. Remember his father was not pleased with any of the women he dated. This had to create a lot of pressure on him. He is almost 50 years old and to find someone he truly adores and without criticism has taken him a long time.

In my opinion, CW is as close to Albert’s playful personality than any woman he has dated. Maybe he does not like the prudish and proper type. Maybe the women he dated in the past were too reserved and behaved this way hoping they would receive approval from him. Maybe he could see through their reserved behavior and knew they were being bogus. Maybe CW is silly and refuses to put on airs for anybody. This is probably what he has been seeking all of his life; a woman who feels comfortable with herself and have no problem revealing her true personality. Remember Albert had to display a certain behavior all of his life around his father and finally being around someone like CW is refreshing to him.

We are Commoners; we will never know what it is like to be royalty. We will always be looking through the window. Albert did not choose his royal lifestyle, he was born into it.

If CW is the one for PA, god bless because they have their work cut out for them.

This is my opinion.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Commoner

Well, of course he hasn't committed any crime. My feeling, and it is only my personal view, is that he's drawing unwelcome attention to himself and then blaming the media. If he acts with decorum and keeps his romance more private, then there really wouldn't be any discussion. To find love at any age is a blessing, but as a royal, there has to be some discretion to your courtship. I didn't have paparazzi following my husband and me while we were dating--no one cared, but he is in a position to draw comment. He can't sue the media on a weekly basis. Perhaps a bit less kissing for the camera and more kissing in private.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Today, 05:21 PM
leahteresa

Yes, this is true. Doesn't matter where you live, if your a US citizen, you have to pay taxes, if you keep your money in a US bank. And I do believe Grace had to give up her citizenship. American citizens are forbidden by the constitution to hold any titles. She could not legally or officially take on the title of Princess without forfitting her citizenship.
This is incorrect.
U.S. Constitution
Article I
Section 9.
Eighth paragaph
No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.

A normal citizen can hold titles like Princess Grace. We have our own Royal Family in the Hawaii. When Albert or his sisters turned 18 they could have applied for duel citizenship.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
In any case I still believe that if you are in a certain position and you don't want to be photographed in certain ways, just don't do it then you don't need to complain after.
Paca, as usual, has come right to the heart of the situation. They knew as soon as they were seen in public the paparazzi would follow them. CW pretty much invited the attention after some of the positions in which she allowed them to be photographed and with her teasing comments. (Don't tell me that the Palace PR people didn't know that the tv and other cameras would be pointed at them.)

Quote:
I suppose that he is not pleased with what people think of her (since the mags didn't report anything bad, on the contrary they already style them as THE glamour couple which obviously many of us fail to see) as he has probably been told or read himself on all sorts of boards. But that is his own fault not PMs or any other magazines. It is time he'd take some responsibility for his actions instead of blaming it on others...
What bothers me about the trip to The Maldives is that this could have been kept very quiet. This island atoll isn't exactly the boulevards of Paris or Rome -- you have to really travel to get there and some of those photos were obviously staged for PR reasons. This vacation came after her "exclusive interview" with Paris Match and a pretty PR controlled article in Point de Vue. I'm sure no one intended for some of the more private moments to become public knowledge but they did. PM wasn't the only magazine to call it a "honeymoon" -- why were they singled out? PA & CW need to learn to live with the consequences of thier actions.

If Albert is reading or being told about the lack of public enthusiasm for his latest gf and feels that this staged positive PR campaign isn't working, I don't think that legal proceedings will solve the matter; quite the contrary, look at the number of posts one article has generated. If the relationship is real, it will withstand this kind of criticism and he shouldn't worry about it and public opinion shouldn't matter at all. If it's forced (which I am beginning to think it is) no wonder PA had this kind of reaction and is singling out the most high profile of all the magazines. Is he trying to get some sort of sympathy? To me, it's appears that he is saying, "See, I'm trying to find a wife and no one leaves me alone." I wonder if he is thinking that this whole episode just isn't worth the grief and take the easy out citing external pressures for the "relationship's" collapse or if he'll become recalcitrant and pull a Tom Cruise?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Courtier

The palace is aware of these boards. I wonder if some advisors are gauging our reaction to see if CW would accepted. Notice how the photos taken on the boat of CW and Albert during his birthday celebration have not yet surfaced.

With tin-foil hat at the ready
Ann
Old 03-25-2006, 03:19 AM
Nobility

Yes yes, there are many tax loopholes to get out of paying US taxes. I have known people to keep money out of the country. There are even major tax differences from state to state.

As for titles, no, you cannot hold a title and be a US citizen. Now I can call myself anything I'd like. Look at Michael Jackson's kids. Both of his son's have the first name Prince, kind of thinks he's funny. But no, you cannot legally hold US citizenship and have a title. I live in Hawaii and there is no royal family here. What Hawaii does have that no other US state has is a Royal Residence. Now there may be ancestors, but no one is signing checks or carrying a drivers license, social security card, or wearing a crown. The basic concept that all people are created equal pretty much reigns. Money reigns here. There are tons of very wealthy celebrities that own peices of Hawaii and lots and lots of very wealthy Japanese.

I took a look back at some of those pics of CW and I must say, the muscles really turn me off. She could be a really nice person. Obviously, she makes PA happy for right now. But, speaking of the Japanese, the press does not treat Japanese royalty like Monoco gets it. They are generally still treated with respect. I just wonder if all these law suits are not PA's way of getting a little more respect. Face it, he does have a right to vacation with his rather manly framed gf, in his funny swim trunks, with his fifty year old belly, in peace. But he put her out there at the olympics and then with the interview. He had to know they were going to hunt her. How could any self respecting, educated, decent woman want to be on his arm? I think the only way he can raise any of his gf up, including CW, is to marry them, something I really do not think he's going to do.

Closed Thread