The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Norway > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

I just assumed he was a "Highness." So he would be addressed as, His Highness Prince Sverre. Has that titled been used by the Norwegian Royal Family before? I know it is available for the DRF.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Royal Highness

I'm fairly certain that he would just be reffered to as just "Prince Sverre Magnus", with no "Your Highness" or "Your Royal Highness". The latter was specifically not granted to him and no provisions were made about using the former.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Courtier

So where does he rank among other royal families? He's just "Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway." I mean, ideally, he ranks lower than (if they were still legally reigning) the Princes of Hohenzollern or Leningen, because even they are Serene Highnesses, while Sverre has no style at all. So does he rank high because he is a Prince of Norway? If there was a royal event ranking the royals by titles, he'd rank lower than the Princes of Liechtenstein, even though it's just a tiny principality and he is the son of the future king of Norway.

BTW, I don't agree with the whole downsizing of the royal family. There are only three members who are Royal Highnesses, Haakon, Mette-Marit, and Ingrid. It doesn't make sense for Sverre not to hold that title also, or at the very least, be a Highness.
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Nobility

Surely when he is older and visiting other countries he will be known as "His Highness". Isn't that what happened with Martha Louise? Im pretty sure that when she is in a foreign country she is known as Her Highness Princess Martha Louise.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Serene Highness

I also didn't like that he was not afforded the title of "Your Royal Highness". His is the first born son of the future King of Norway. Is this something that Haakon could change when he takes the throne?
Thanks for the answers.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Courtier

But wasn't Martha Louise born "Royal Highness?" Her aunts Astrid and Ragnhild were. The three of them only lost their styles when they married, but they were at least born Royal Highnesses, right? Poor little Sverre can't even claim being a regular "Highness."
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81
I also didn't like that he was not afforded the title of "Your Royal Highness". His is the first born son of the future King of Norway. Is this something that Haakon could change when he takes the throne?
Thanks for the answers.
IMO if Haakon had been against skipping the HRH, the King would not have done it. There is no difference between first born girls and first born sons in Norway. Ingrid is born first and is the heiress. Sverre is the second child of the future King. Im 99.99% sure Haakon will not change it unless something happens to Ingrid.

Sverres rank is the same as Gabriel and Alexia, the second child of th heir and will have the same rank as them at royal gatherings. Just like Märtha Louise has the same rank as f.ex. Joachim and Carl Philip, It could be clearly seen at the seating in church during the danish and spanish wedding. No dethroned prince(ss) or non reigening royals will get higher rank than Sverre, just because he does not have a prefix. Märtha Louise was not titled HH in the danish guest list. It was Princess Märtha Louise and Mr Ari Behn.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Nobility

Do Haakon and Mette-Marit call Sverre Sverre or Magnus or both? I thought I heard or read somewhere of them referring to him as Magnus.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann
Do Haakon and Mette-Marit call Sverre Sverre or Magnus or both? I thought I heard or read somewhere of them referring to him as Magnus.
In the caption of this photo http://www.aftenposten.no/english/bi...cle1240024.ece
it says that the family calls him Magnus.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the link kwanfan!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
IMO if Haakon had been against skipping the HRH, the King would not have done it. There is no difference between first born girls and first born sons in Norway. Ingrid is born first and is the heiress. Sverre is the second child of the future King. Im 99.99% sure Haakon will not change it unless something happens to Ingrid.

Sverres rank is the same as Gabriel and Alexia, the second child of th heir and will have the same rank as them at royal gatherings. Just like Märtha Louise has the same rank as f.ex. Joachim and Carl Philip, It could be clearly seen at the seating in church during the danish and spanish wedding. No dethroned prince(ss) or non reigening royals will get higher rank than Sverre, just because he does not have a prefix. Märtha Louise was not titled HH in the danish guest list. It was Princess Märtha Louise and Mr Ari Behn.
Thanks for the info Larzen. Thanks for always sharing your knowledge.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Gentry

Yes, Larzen! Thank you so, so much for all your information!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the info
Old 09-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Yes; I think they calls him just "Magnus"...How a pity! I like much more "Sverre".

Vanesa.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I think calling him Magnus fits better with the other names of the children: Marius, Ingrid and Magnus... certain rhythm to it.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Courtier

Who's the woman playing with baby Sverre?

Source: koningshuissite.web-log.nl
Old 10-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Maybe his nurse?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Serene Highness

IIRC, that is Sverre's nanny that accompanied Mette-Marit, Haakon, and Sverre to Thailand for the Diamond Jubilee. I must say being a royal nanny would be quite fun. Getting to travel like that as part of your job would be great!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

not to mension those cute baby royals..
Old 11-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Is there a photoshoot planned for Sverre-Magnus's 1st birthday on December 3rd?

Closed Thread

Tags
sverre magnus