Princess Martha Louise And Ari Behn News and Pictures: June 2004 - November 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
liliawodna said:
The princess and her author husband, known for his attraction to the trendy urban lifestyle, initially wanted to move to New York soon after they married in 2002. But then she got pregnant and wanted to have the baby in Norway.

Thanks liliawodna for the pictures of Martha Louise in Russia. They are lovely.

In regards to the move, I wonder if they might post-pone their move to NYC yet again if perhaps Martha Louise becomes pregnant a second time?

While reading this article it seemed a bit like one of the pair (I guess Martha Louise) doesn't really want to move to NYC with all the post-poning of it. While I can see that some of the reasons for post poning moves to NYC are reasonable (Norwegian-born princess wants to give birth to her own child in Norway and her father becoming sick with cancer), other reasons don't seem so reasonable. Was it really necessary for Martha Louise and Ari to post pone their move to wait for Mette-Marit to have her and Haakon's first baby? Why couldn't they have moved then returned to Norway for an extended stay when Ingrid Alexandra was born?

Märtha Louise in Kandalaksha Russia- more pics

August 15, 2004 - Märtha Louise in Kandalaksha Russia opening SOS children village.
All pictures from www.fotomarktplatz.de

Attachments

• FMP-16-08-22840413.jpg
    FMP-16-08-22840413.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 425
  • FMP-16-08-22870413.jpg
    FMP-16-08-22870413.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 326
  • FMP-16-08-22910413.jpg
    FMP-16-08-22910413.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 308
  • FMP-16-08-22940413.jpg
    FMP-16-08-22940413.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 348
Alexandria said:
Thanks liliawodna for the pictures of Martha Louise in Russia. They are lovely.

Yes, especially the one with the little girl hugging Martha Louise. Really sweet...

i loved the 4th, holding the hands of the two little girls... lovely.

one could say that in a way she's lukcy the succession laws changed after her brother was born and unlike sweden it didn't apply to her otherwise all the pressure would be on her and she can move overseas if she wants.

i must say it is odd they postponed their move for a few superficial reasons but who knows. sounds like it was easier for her husband to live in NY and be a bohemian writer (i mean please "trendy urban" can be found in london or anywhere else in the world like paris). sounds like the US is a nice way to cash in on royal ties but also be away from the media and spotlight that would dog them in norway.

Commentary from Aftenposten re: the move.

http://www.aftenposten.no/meninger/kommentarer/article849443.ece
Noted

The Palace needs Princess Märtha Louise.

Princess Märtha Louise confirmed Sunday, while travelling in Murmansk, that she, Ari and Maud Angelica will be moving to New York in October.

WENCHE FUGLEHAUG

Murmansk
For how long the family will be gone, nobody knows right now. What is clear, however, is that the Palace needs Märtha. But of course nobody, neither at court or in the Royal family, who will deny them to move "over there."

Princess Märtha Louise is popular, and she represents, mostly, the Royal family and Norway in an excellent way. She has more than 30 invitations weekly from kindergartens, schools, libraries and various arrangements who wants her royal shine and sparkle. She is also high protector of several organisations, and is of course present in weddings and birthdays of family and friends in the royal European big family. She creates news around herself, her family and her country.

Everybody understands that she and Ari would like to spend a few years in the metropol of New York before they seriously settle down in Bærum where Maud Angelica will be starting school in 5 years. Even if she moves away for a few years it doesn't necessarily mean that she won't be helping the king and the rest of the family with the official assignments. But she will naturally represent in Norway, less for a while.

It means more work for King Harald, Queen Sonja and the crown prince couple. It will probably work just fine, but even if the king has been deemed well, he and Sonja are both 67 years old*. Neither of them are planning quieter days, but they probably feel that it's nice to be relieved from some of the duties at times. That relief firstly comes from Crown Prince Haakon, who said he wanted to take time off** when Ingrid Alexandra was born. It is not just the constitutional reasons why the time off hasn't happened yet. Also Royals can be stuck with too little time.

It is the female royals who're the most popular with the photographers and journalists. With Märtha abroad, there will be much more pressure on Sonja and Mette-Marit. In Murmansk SOS Children's Villages have received much press. A large group of reporters are along, because Märtha is. She has, as usual, done a good job, even if she seems a little tired, something she said she was because of the long journey. She's also very selective in which questions she answers, and makes her own conclusion to which she defines as personal or irrelevant. Norwegian and Russian journalists have all noticed.

But Märtha Louise sells almost anywa. No Royals, No Media coverage. The Organizations know it, and the Palace knows it. That's why Märtha is wanted back in Norway before she's even left.

*- 67 years is the mandatory Norwegian retirement age. The Royals, however, are not covered by it.
** - All Norwegian fathers have the option of taking a month off work when their children are born, or later, to spend it alone with the child. The mothers can be present, or they can go back to work in this time, allowing father and child to get to know each other.

ews said:
one could say that in a way she's lukcy the succession laws changed after her brother was born and unlike sweden it didn't apply to her otherwise all the pressure would be on her and she can move overseas if she wants.

i must say it is odd they postponed their move for a few superficial reasons but who knows. sounds like it was easier for her husband to live in NY and be a bohemian writer (i mean please "trendy urban" can be found in london or anywhere else in the world like paris). sounds like the US is a nice way to cash in on royal ties but also be away from the media and spotlight that would dog them in norway.

I think Märtha is quite happy about it too. It gives her a freedom that her brother doesn't have.

We don't really know why it was postponed. In my opinion, it is not a superficial reason to want to be close to your father when he is ill. Nor is it a superficial reason to be around when your niece is born, and you have to help out with the extra Royal duties from your father, and sister-in-law, both whom were out of the royal duties taking for a while. Any other reasons they might have had might be more superficial ;)

norwegianne said:
I think Märtha is quite happy about it too. It gives her a freedom that her brother doesn't have.

We don't really know why it was postponed. In my opinion, it is not a superficial reason to want to be close to your father when he is ill. Nor is it a superficial reason to be around when your niece is born, and you have to help out with the extra Royal duties from your father, and sister-in-law, both whom were out of the royal duties taking for a while. Any other reasons they might have had might be more superficial ;)

Well said norwerigianne! IMO, royals have similar feelings towards their families that we have so it would be natural to help, grieve, laugh etc.. Afterall, they are human too.

Märtha Louise vacation pics

France. 08-08-2004. Princess Märtha Louise of Norway and husband the writer Ari Behn and daughter Maud Angelica Behn and some friends spend the weekend in the South of France.

Attachments

• NORWEGIA_MARTHA_ARI9_003.jpg
    NORWEGIA_MARTHA_ARI9_003.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 552
  • NORWEGIA_MARTHA_ARI9_007.jpg
    NORWEGIA_MARTHA_ARI9_007.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 731
  • NORWEGIA_MARTHA_ARI9_013.jpg
    NORWEGIA_MARTHA_ARI9_013.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 590
Can someone please tell me why Martha Louise gave up her HRH status when she got married? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Thanks!

monos26 said:
Can someone please tell me why Martha Louise gave up her HRH status when she got married? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Thanks!
Princess Märtha Louise gave up her HRH status because she wanted a more private life. She was then able to form her own company, earn money and choose her engagements. HRH's are not allowed to earn money (wages/salaries) like commoners do.

She would likely have lost the HRH title when she got married anyway, as that happened to her aunts. (The Norwegian royal family is big on traditions.) She said in the interview (where the link is provided below.) that it would have happened anyway, and that in these times it made more sense for it to happen when she started working than when she got married.

The difference is that Märtha Louise didn't get the Mrs. Behn on behind her Princess-title, like her aunts did.

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/innenriks/kongehuset/prinsessebryllupet/1579979.html Norwegian reporting on the whole thing.

New photo from the trip to the SOS Children´s village in Russia. From Corbis:

Photo

Short article from www.budstikka.no (Translation summary please!)

Märtha leser bedre enn hun skriver

LOMMEDALEN: Märtha har skrevet barnebok. Hun er flinkere til å lese eventyr, mener litteraturprofessor. - Märtha fungerer svært godt som formidler med hennes evne til å skape kontakt med barn. Men det blir noe annet med ei bok. Da blir det litteratur som kan sammenlignes med andres tekster - som Asbjørnsen og Moe og Alf Prøysen. Ved å skrive avslører en seg mer, sier Olav Solberg til Dagbladet.no. Han er eventyrforsker og professor i nordisk litteratur.

Publisert: 25.08.2004 08:07

Last edited:
Märtha has written a childrens tale, it is called "why the king does not have a crown" or something like that, a litterature professor says she is a wonderful reader that communicates well with children, but that she does not write as well as she reads,and now she will be compared to the really great fairytail writers like Asbjørnsen and Moe and the Grimm brothers. (and I think he thinks she does not compare at all)

Thanks for the translation Larzen!:) Dismal beginning for Märtha Louise as an author according to the professor. I wonder how she fares compared to Sarah Ferguson and Madona?

Märtha Louise får bygge ut

Prinsesse Märtha Louise får bygge ut i marka fordi hun er kongelig.

I sin innstilling skriver rådmannen at "som hovedregel faller omstendigheter ved tiltakshaverens person utenfor. I helt spesielle situasjoner, som få eller ingen andre kan påberope seg, vil imidlertid personlige forhold kunne vektlegges ved dispensasjonsvurderingen. I den foreliggende sak er det derfor fullt ut forsvarlig å anse dette som en særlig grunn til å gi dispensasjon".

I praksis betyr dette at hun får bygge fordi hun er kongelig.

- I og for seg, men det høres litt tåpelig ut å si det på den måten. Det er viktig å se litt videre. Dette er en slags offentlig person med særlige behov for sikkerhet, sier kommunalsjef Johan Filseth til Budstikka.

Tidligere i år ble det kjent at huset i Lommedalen skal bygges på i begge ender over to etasjer.

Well, I wonder what they write about in this article:-/

Märtha Louise interview at Bjørnsonfestival

Eksklusivt møte med Märtha Louise: (translation summary please)

- Ta vare på Bjørnson-arven

– En må ha troen på at arven etter Bjørnson er så sterk at den vil bærer seg selv. Da vil den også gjøre nettopp det, sa en engasjert og åpenhjertig prinsesse Märtha Louise i møte med Aura Avis. Prinsessen var rask til å trekke frem det viktige arbeidet som gjøres av befolkningen i Nesset for å ivareta kulturarven og minnet etter Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson.

Av: Anne Kari Jacobsen

Det var en engasjert og opplagt prinsesse som tok i mot Aura Avis på hotell Alexandra i Molde, like etter at hun hadde forestått den offisielle åpningen av Bjørnsonfestivalen. Det stramme tidsskjemaet tillot ingen tur til Nesset og prestegarden i denne omgang, men Aura Avis fikk et eksklusivt møte med den folkekjære prinsessen, som godt kunne huske sitt forrige besøk på den vakre prestegarden. Da var det ikke bare folkedikteren Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson som var i fokus, for på menyen stod nemlig saftige og deilige Bugge-lefser, noe som tydelig ble satt pris på.

Les resten av det eksklusive intervjuet med Bjørnsingfestivalens høye beskytter, prinsesse Märtha Louise i helgas papiravis.

www.auraavis.no

Picture of Märtha Louise by Kjell Ove Holsbøvåg

Attachments

• Kjell Ove Holsbøvåg--1d.jpg
    Kjell Ove Holsbøvåg--1d.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Basically Märtha Louise is saying in the interview that we must preserve the heritage after author Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson. (That's the very brief version.)

norwegianne said:
Basically Märtha Louise is saying in the interview that we must preserve the heritage after author Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson. (That's the very brief version.)
Thanks norwegianne.:)

Princess Märtha Louise writes about King Olav

Princess Märtha writes about King Olav

Princess Märtha Louise has written a children's book about a little crown prince that, like her grandfather, takes the name Olav and becomes king. "Hvorfor de kongelige ikke har krone på hodet" - Why the royals don't wear a crown - will appear in late November.

The book, with illustrations by Sven Nyhus, definitely stirs memories of Norway's beloved King Olav.
According to publishers Cappelen, the book tells the story of a little prince that sails across the sea from Denmark and takes the name Olav because his real name - Alexander Edward Christian Frederik - is too long and Danish for a future king of Norway.

The little prince ventures out into the winter landscape with his nanny and court to find out what they do in Norway, and learns that it isn't easy to make snowmen, sled or ski jump with a crown on your head.

(Aftenposten English Web Desk/NTB)

Last edited:
I am looking for photos of rhe princess wearing red
I am doing a video with the music lady in red

Attachments

• 044536a.JPG
    044536a.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 336
  • 72735a-SCANPIXa.JPG
    72735a-SCANPIXa.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 363
  • FMP-1112.JPG
    FMP-1112.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Polfoto-29384.JPG
    Polfoto-29384.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 327
  • APL--0000288855-001a.JPG
    APL--0000288855-001a.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 298
June 22, 2004 - Märtha Louise opens Risør Kammermusikkfest. New pictures of Märtha Louise from www.cover.es

Attachments

• K10543203.jpg
    K10543203.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 410
  • k10547302.jpg
    k10547302.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 382
  • K10543205.jpg
    K10543205.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 340
  • K10543206.jpg
    K10543206.jpg