Prince Sverre Magnus Current Events: December 3, 2005 - January 24, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
This is the thread of Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway.

Please post news and pictures of Prince Sverre here. :D

Last edited:
http://www.kongehuset.no/dt_kongehuset_newsstyle.asp?gid=501&mgid=5&aid=5298

Prins Sverre Magnus

Hans Majestet Kongen har i Ekstraordinært Statsråd på Det Kongelige Slott i dag, mandag 5. desember 2005 meddelt at Deres Kongelige Høyheter Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessen, i samråd med Hans Majestet Kongen, har bestemt at den nyfødte Prinsen skal hete Sverre Magnus.

Hans Majestet Kongen ba om Statsrådets tilslutning til navnevalget.

Hans Majestet Kongen har bestemt at Prins Sverre Magnus ikke skal tituleres Hans Kongelige Høyhet. Prinsen fødselsdag blir ikke offisiell flaggdag, og det skal ikke salutteres fra Forsvarets anlegg ved fremtidige fødselsdager.

Hans Majestet Kongens beslutning medfører ingen konstitusjonelle endringer. Prins Sverre Magnus trer inn i arverekken til Kronen etter Hennes Kongelige Høyhet Prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra.

Last edited:
A good, traditional name. I wish him a long and happy life. :)

great name... definitely norwegian...

but really, why no HRH? that's quite cruel..

Last edited:
sommone said:
Wow...How do you pronounce that?

Thats what i asked! I'm assuming its pronounced as written but in a norwegian accent.

Would someobe be able to translate what was posted from the royal family website?

ews said:
Thats what i asked! I'm assuming its pronounced as written but in a norwegian accent.

Would someobe be able to translate what was posted from the royal family website?

Translation of Press Release from: http://www.kongehuset.no/default.asp

Prince Sverre Magnus

His Majesty the King has in Extraordinary State Council at the Royal Palace today, Monday 5. December 2005 announced that Their Royal Highnesses the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, in agreement with His Majesty the King, decided that the new born Prince will be named Sverre Magnus.

His Majesty the King asked the State Council acceptance of the choice of name.

His Majesty the King has decided that Prince Sverre Magnus will not be styled His Royal Highness. The Prince’s birthday will not be an official flagg flying day, and it shall not be saluted from the Military’s areas with future birthdays.

His Majesty the King’s decision will not cause any constitutional changes. Prince Sverre Magnus will be after Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra in the succession to the Crown.

i'm really confused with this no HRH decision..
it's like they're tyring to make the little prinsen a commoner.
how would he stand beside other baby royals, like Princes Gabriel & Emmanuel of Belgium, or Princess Alexia of Netherlands?
i know it's too soon, but what if he get married with a commoner? no title for the bride, or just 'princess'?

ps. i'm really sorry if i got too excited & offend anyone...

Sverre looks to be a nice name, but impossible to pronounce for an Australian such as myself! I have heard it is pronounced Sve - ru (with 'u' being the same as in 'but') but may be entirely off the mark. Any Norwegians who could point me in the right direction?

Congratulations to the Crown Princely couple.

press release from PM's office :

http://odin.dep.no/smk/norsk/001001-071404/dok-bn.html

Pressemelding
Nr.: 208/2005
Dato: 5. desember 2005
Prinsefødselen kunngjort i ekstraordinært statsråd
Hans Majestet Kongen meddelte:
”Det er en stor glede for meg å kunne fortelle at Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessen har fått en sønn. Fødselen fant sted lørdag 3. desember 2005 klokken 1045.
Jeg har gitt den nyfødte tittelen prins.
I samråd med Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessen har vi bestemt at han skal hete Sverre Magnus, og jeg vil be om Statsrådets tilslutning til det.
Med Statsrådets bifall vil navn og fødselstid i samsvar med Grunnloven § 6 bli meddelt det 150. ordentlige Storting i dag.”
Statsministeren fremførte på Statsrådets vegne Regjeringens lykkeønskninger og uttalte:
”Det er med stor glede Regjeringens medlemmer har mottatt meddelelsen fra Deres Majestet om at Hennes Kongelige Høyhet Kronprinsesse Mette-Marit og Hans Kongelige Høyhet Kronprins Haakon har fått en sønn. Vi ber om å få bære frem våre hjerteligste lykkeønskninger til barnets foreldre og til Deres Majestet og Hennes Majestet Dronning Sonja. Den nye prins vil bli møtt med folkets gode ønsker. Vi uttrykker håp om at han må bli til glede for sine foreldre og familie, og at han må vinne en plass i folkets hjerter.”
Statsministeren ga på regjeringens vegne tilslutning til det foreslåtte navn og at det blir meddelt Stortinget.

Previous King called Sverre
Sverre Sigurdsson, 1177-1201.

If he should someday be King he would then be Sverre II

Previous Kings called Magnus (and my translation of their last name)
Magnus den Gode (The good) 1035-1047
Magnus Haraldson (Son of Harald) 1066-1069
Magnus Barfod (Bare foot) 1093-1103
Magnus Blinde (The Blind) 1130-1135
Magnus Erlingson (Son of Erling) 1161-1184
Magnus Lagabøter (?) 1263-1280
Magnus Erikson (Son of Erik) 1319-1374

There are 69 men called Sverre Magnus in Norway
Ther are 10370 called Sverre as a first name
There are 12222 men Called Magnus as a first name

Magnus means: Great, big
Sverre means: Wild (sort of, not quite. Norw; villstyring, urokråke)

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2005/12/05/451271.html
and www.ssb.no

Larzen said:
Previous King called Sverre
Sverre Sigurdsson, 1177-1201.

A famous king. One of the most important in Norwegian history. He had a famous biography written about him. A saga, in fact..

Sverre means: Wild (sort of, not quite. Norw; villstyring, urokråke)

My dictionary didn't have the exact words but it's close to the words for willpower and firm(inflexible, unshaken) A good name for a leader.

That's a really lovely, traditional name for the prince. :) I actually prefer that to Olav (no offence to anyone. I just didn't know if it was a good idea having Olav, especially after part of Mette Marit's father's name). In the past, had the second born child normally had an official flag flying day?

purple_platinum said:
i'm really confused with this no HRH decision..
it's like they're tyring to make the little prinsen a commoner.
how would he stand beside other baby royals, like Princes Gabriel & Emmanuel of Belgium, or Princess Alexia of Netherlands?
i know it's too soon, but what if he get married with a commoner? no title for the bride, or just 'princess'?

ps. i'm really sorry if i got too excited & offend anyone...

Personally I think the HRH decision is a wise one. It's a way of keeping the Royal family small, and manageable in the future when Ingrid Alexandra has her own family, and not have extreme branches of HRH's being supported by the state.

It is also a way of making sure that Sverre Magnus have the chance of making his own life, as much as the second child can do with a title. His two great-aunts, lost their HRH upon marriage, and his aunt let her HRH go when she went into a career, before marriage. It wouldn't be the same for a male, and, my guess, is that that's a deciding factor.

When/if he gets married, his wife will probably be named Princess - but it really is too far in the future to tell...

Congratulations on the Birth of Prince Sverre Magnus, congratulations to the Royal Family and his born on my cousin's birthday as well

Danielle said:
That's a really lovely, traditional name for the prince. :) I actually prefer that to Olav (no offence to anyone. I just didn't know if it was a good idea having Olav, especially after part of Mette Marit's father's name). In the past, had the second born child normally had an official flag flying day?
Märtha Louise had a flag flying day until she renounced her HRH. Astrid and Ragnhild had them until their marriage, as far as I'm aware.

it's a pity sverre didn't receive the hrh. was there any reason for that?
about the name... can any norwegian person tell us how it's pronounced? sounds totally strange to me. does it have any translation in english (as for example hans - john?)

Larzen said:
Magnus Lagabøter (?) 1263-1280

Magnus the Law Maker (lit. law mender) - anyway, it was he who revised old law and made a new code and made amendments.

Sverre! That's great! I really love that name, as I love lots and lots of Scandinavian names (if I ever get children there's a great chance I will give them Scandinavian names, maybe even Sverre. It's great!)

I think you prononouce it like someone here earlier said: Sve (e like in 'rest') - ru (u like in 'but'). It's not that difficult. But I'm not norwegian, so maybe I'm overlooking some great details when it comes to pronunciation... ;)

Maxie said:
Sverre! That's great! I really love that name, as I love lots and lots of Scandinavian names (if I ever get children there's a great chance I will give them Scandinavian names, maybe even Sverre. It's great!)

I think you prononouce it like someone here earlier said: Sve (e like in 'rest') - ru (u like in 'but'). It's not that difficult. But I'm not norwegian, so maybe I'm overlooking some great details when it comes to pronunciation... ;)

In my Norwegian dialect it is pronounced more like Sve (e like in "rest" or "vest") and re (with e as in "the").

Tit for tat really, Martha Louise lost her title etc when she became old enough to work and get married, as non crown prince its fair he doesn't become HRH as that is Ingrid's role/title.

I"m assuming svere is pronoucjhed like "sven only wth an 'ere'/air sound
sv-air

or am i off base, i have no knowledge of nordic languages

norwegianne said:
Personally I think the HRH decision is a wise one. It's a way of keeping the Royal family small, and manageable in the future when Ingrid Alexandra has her own family, and not have extreme branches of HRH's being supported by the state.

It is also a way of making sure that Sverre Magnus have the chance of making his own life, as much as the second child can do with a title. His two great-aunts, lost their HRH upon marriage, and his aunt let her HRH go when she went into a career, before marriage. It wouldn't be the same for a male, and, my guess, is that that's a deciding factor.

When/if he gets married, his wife will probably be named Princess - but it really is too far in the future to tell...

I think with or without HRH, he will get a chance for a normal life, especially with his open & down-to-earth parents. I just think when he attends royal events with other royals (like weddings, when they used HRH, HSH, etc), it would be weird for him. and going further again, when IA married a normal man & that person become Prince of Norway, if he get a HRH, it would be unique case; thus, making him have higher status than Sverre Magnus.

but, as far as the name... i really like it. it's very unique (well, for non-norwegians, that is...) :) :) :)

purple_platinum said:
I think with or without HRH, he will get a chance for a normal life, especially with his open & down-to-earth parents. I just think when he attends royal events with other royals (like weddings, when they used HRH, HSH, etc), it would be weird for him. and going further again, when IA married a normal man & that person become Prince of Norway, if he get a HRH, it would be unique case; thus, making him have higher status than Sverre Magnus.

but, as far as the name... i really like it. it's very unique (well, for non-norwegians, that is...) :) :) :)

King Harald's reasoning is that the Royal house in Norway traditionally have been quite small, and that it ought to continue in that vein. He also thinks that doing it this way, allots the Prince much greater choices in his future life in terms of education and career options, etc. http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=110524

purple_platinum said:

Are prince consorts usually made HRH?

That name only sounds ok in Norway. In Denmark where I come from it would sound werry unpretty.
Gratulations to our nordic nabour with Prins Sverre Magnus

It's a beautifull baby and he haves a beautifull name! Sverre!
He's is cute!

betina said:
That name only sounds ok in Norway. In Denmark where I come from it would sound werry unpretty.
Gratulations to our nordic nabour with Prins Sverre Magnus

I guess that in international occasions he would use Magnus if people have problems with pronouncing Sverre...

Great name. I was curious on finding what is the english equivalent of Sverre and found this mini article on both Sverre and Magnus! Seems in Norway's history persons who carried the names were royal rivals:
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry/Sverre

Any more about the name and it's significance in your local (Norway) news today?

Last edited:
Smilla said:
Are prince consorts usually made HRH?

i don't know what will happen in Norway, but it what happened with Henrik of Denmark & Claus of Netherlands

Does anybody now the address of the Crownprince and Crownprincess???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom