The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Norway > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 12-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dickinson, United States
Posts: 172
Proper pronunciation of name

Aftenposten mentions how to pronounce baby's name at end of article

While other European royal heirs and their parents tend to stay in the hospital longer, and then take time to show off their babies to the public when they leave, Norwegians haven't been allowed such formality. It remained unclear when Prince Sverre Magnus, roughly pronounced "Svair-ah Mahg-noos," would make his public debut.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1171528.ece
__________________

__________________
  #62  
Old 12-05-2005, 12:35 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
i'm wondering what is the real difference between a HRH or non-HRH?
apanage, status, or what?
the only thing i notice is that they used HRH, HSH, HH, etc only & make a difference between each one are on royal events (when there's a wedding, funeral, etc - like in denmark, HH Alexandra comes after HRH Mary etc). but i could be wrong...
so, i'm asking what's the consequence of a HRH on daily life?

About HRH, HH, HSH links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_%..._of_address%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_styles
__________________

__________________
  #63  
Old 12-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by almab
Aftenposten mentions how to pronounce baby's name at end of article

While other European royal heirs and their parents tend to stay in the hospital longer, and then take time to show off their babies to the public when they leave, Norwegians haven't been allowed such formality. It remained unclear when Prince Sverre Magnus, roughly pronounced "Svair-ah Mahg-noos," would make his public debut.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1171528.ece
Isn't it likely that they'll do it like last time,inviting the photographer to the castle and then giving an interview?
__________________
  #64  
Old 12-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Oppie's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 537
Won't he eventually need a last name, it doesn't sound like he will have titled children so they will at least need a last name. I like the idea of using his mom's name.
__________________
  #65  
Old 12-05-2005, 12:44 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
Won't he eventually need a last name, it doesn't sound like he will have titled children so they will at least need a last name. I like the idea of using his mom's name.
Using Mette-Marit's name was just a suggestion of mine. Another option is also, when/if he marries, if he marries a Norwegian girl, adopting her surname. It's becoming increasingly common for Norwegian males to adopt their wives surname as the joint family name, especially if the males have common names such as Olsen and the females have more original names.

I expect that discussion isn't really relevant until a great deal many years into the future, though.
__________________
  #66  
Old 12-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
Another option is also, when/if he marries, if he marries a Norwegian girl, adopting her surname. It's becoming increasingly common for Norwegian males to adopt their wives surname as the joint family name, especially if the males have common names such as Olsen and the females have more original names.
Interesting information on the Norvegian society, you are often ahead for many social trends. I'm not sure if I'll ever see a Canadian or Quebecer male take his wife's name.


Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
I expect that discussion isn't really relevant until a great deal many years into the future, though.
That might not even be relevant if he marries a female heir to an European throne. Eleonor is quite beautiful...
__________________
  #67  
Old 12-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 767
so the little prince is not even HH?? that's kinda strange....................

he should have a title....btw...does marthra louise still have a title as HRH?
__________________
  #68  
Old 12-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop

That might not even be relevant if he marries a female heir to an European throne. Eleonor is quite beautiful...
You know, that might well be little Sverre's station in life - sweetheart and ideal heartthrob of future European crown princesses: doubtlessly handsome, flawlessly educated, with the same social status and nothing of importance to lose, not even the title of Norwegian HRH.
__________________
  #69  
Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Princess Luna's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Surrey, United Kingdom
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadshirmp
so the little prince is not even HH?? that's kinda strange....................

he should have a title....btw...does marthra louise still have a title as HRH?

Princess Martha Louise have not the title HRH.
__________________
  #70  
Old 12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
I read somewhere that her courtesy title is HE.
__________________
  #71  
Old 12-05-2005, 03:33 PM
auntie's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middlesex, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
You know, that might well be little Sverre's station in life - sweetheart and ideal heartthrob of future European crown princesses: doubtlessly handsome, flawlessly educated, with the same social status and nothing of importance to lose, not even the title of Norwegian HRH.
I liked that comment, you made me laugh!

On another note, call me old fashioned if you will, I think that the Prince should have been HRH, Is this really the Kings choice, or does the Norweigian Parliament have a say in all of this?! I know that in Holland for instance, the Government decides on the titles of the extended royal families, so that the Grandchildren of the monarchs, not from CP are Count/ess and the Van Holleven princes will lose their HH status once WA ascends the throne. This is the governments attempt to minimize the Dutch RF's titles.
__________________
  #72  
Old 12-05-2005, 03:54 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Or like it is in Denmark: HRH are children of the monarch and only the children of the CP are. Children of the other monarch's childs are only HH - like Joachim boys.
__________________
  #73  
Old 12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Princejohnny25's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: , Antarctica
Posts: 2,033
I think the family is becoming less and less royal. They are loosing too many traditions.
__________________
  #74  
Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: N/A, France
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
I think the family is becoming less and less royal. They are loosing too many traditions.
I don't think so. It's a different way to be royal, but how can one say they are becoming less royal?
Of course, I'd have preferred if Haakon had married a noble and royal girl, but Mette-Marit is more and more stunning in her role of Crown Princess.
__________________
  #75  
Old 12-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Princejohnny25's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: , Antarctica
Posts: 2,033
No, I like Mette Marit and think she is a wonderfull princess. But it seems that so much tradition and what makes a family royal and a nation a monarchy are disappearing.
__________________
  #76  
Old 12-05-2005, 05:28 PM
auntie's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middlesex, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielane
I don't think so. It's a different way to be royal, but how can one say they are becoming less royal?
Of course, I'd have preferred if Haakon had married a noble and royal girl, but Mette-Marit is more and more stunning in her role of Crown Princess.
Yes, it is true, sorry to diverse the conversation, but look how grand she looked at the State visit to the UK, not only her looks and Jewels, also the way she held herself!
__________________
  #77  
Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Mette2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Aalborg, Denmark
Posts: 555
I did not see that name coming. But I like it. I think it was said that not only can the name Sverre be found on Haakon's side of the family, but also on Mette-Marit's side, so that's a nice touch in my opinion. I think it's a bit of a shame he won't have the title HRH, and that the flags won't be out on his birthday, but it's their choice and I respect that.
__________________
www.shakespearecompany.dk
  #78  
Old 12-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Ariel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 555
I just heard that Mette Marit went back home in an ambulance with a doctor, an obstetrician and two nurses. It is like being in the hospital.
__________________
  #79  
Old 12-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 255
Has anyone considered that the lack of title may be so that Marius doesn´t become alienated in the future...after all IA and SM are his half-siblings...how would he feel when they are HRH and he is without title? IA of course has the special position of future queen, but SM and Marius would now appear to have equal status (is that correct)??
__________________
  #80  
Old 12-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Ariel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 555
I dont know if that is correct, SA is still prince Sverre Magnus, third in line to the throne, which is different position than his big brother.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Prince of Orange, Current Events 1 (October 2005 - May 2007) carlota Current Events Archive 167 04-25-2007 04:50 PM
The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima, Current Events 6 (Feb 2006 - Jan 2007) pdas1201 Current Events Archive 379 01-08-2007 12:44 PM
Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde: Current Events Part 10 pdas1201 Current Events Archive 209 03-05-2006 09:23 PM
Prince Harry current events 5: Sept - Nov 2005 Elspeth Current Events Archive 181 11-18-2005 02:39 PM
Prince Carl Philip, Current Events Part 1: November 2002 - August 2004 Josefine Current Events Archive 138 08-21-2004 04:51 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]