Prince Sverre Magnus Current Events: December 3, 2005 - January 24, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Proper pronunciation of name

Aftenposten mentions how to pronounce baby's name at end of article

While other European royal heirs and their parents tend to stay in the hospital longer, and then take time to show off their babies to the public when they leave, Norwegians haven't been allowed such formality. It remained unclear when Prince Sverre Magnus, roughly pronounced "Svair-ah Mahg-noos," would make his public debut.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1171528.ece

purple_platinum said:
i'm wondering what is the real difference between a HRH or non-HRH?
apanage, status, or what?
the only thing i notice is that they used HRH, HSH, HH, etc only & make a difference between each one are on royal events (when there's a wedding, funeral, etc - like in denmark, HH Alexandra comes after HRH Mary etc). but i could be wrong...
so, i'm asking what's the consequence of a HRH on daily life?

About HRH, HH, HSH links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_%28manner_of_address%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_styles

almab said:
Aftenposten mentions how to pronounce baby's name at end of article

While other European royal heirs and their parents tend to stay in the hospital longer, and then take time to show off their babies to the public when they leave, Norwegians haven't been allowed such formality. It remained unclear when Prince Sverre Magnus, roughly pronounced "Svair-ah Mahg-noos," would make his public debut.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1171528.ece

Isn't it likely that they'll do it like last time,inviting the photographer to the castle and then giving an interview?

Won't he eventually need a last name, it doesn't sound like he will have titled children so they will at least need a last name. I like the idea of using his mom's name.

Oppie said:
Won't he eventually need a last name, it doesn't sound like he will have titled children so they will at least need a last name. I like the idea of using his mom's name.
Using Mette-Marit's name was just a suggestion of mine. Another option is also, when/if he marries, if he marries a Norwegian girl, adopting her surname. It's becoming increasingly common for Norwegian males to adopt their wives surname as the joint family name, especially if the males have common names such as Olsen and the females have more original names.

I expect that discussion isn't really relevant until a great deal many years into the future, though.

norwegianne said:
Another option is also, when/if he marries, if he marries a Norwegian girl, adopting her surname. It's becoming increasingly common for Norwegian males to adopt their wives surname as the joint family name, especially if the males have common names such as Olsen and the females have more original names.

Interesting information on the Norvegian society, you are often ahead for many social trends. I'm not sure if I'll ever see a Canadian or Quebecer male take his wife's name.

norwegianne said:
I expect that discussion isn't really relevant until a great deal many years into the future, though.

That might not even be relevant if he marries a female heir to an European throne. Eleonor is quite beautiful...

so the little prince is not even HH?? that's kinda strange....................

he should have a title....btw...does marthra louise still have a title as HRH?

Princess BellyFlop said:
That might not even be relevant if he marries a female heir to an European throne. Eleonor is quite beautiful...

You know, that might well be little Sverre's station in life - sweetheart and ideal heartthrob of future European crown princesses: doubtlessly handsome, flawlessly educated, with the same social status and nothing of importance to lose, not even the title of Norwegian HRH.

bigheadshirmp said:
so the little prince is not even HH?? that's kinda strange....................

he should have a title....btw...does marthra louise still have a title as HRH?

Princess Martha Louise have not the title HRH.

I read somewhere that her courtesy title is HE.

Smilla said:
You know, that might well be little Sverre's station in life - sweetheart and ideal heartthrob of future European crown princesses: doubtlessly handsome, flawlessly educated, with the same social status and nothing of importance to lose, not even the title of Norwegian HRH.

I liked that comment, you made me laugh!

On another note, call me old fashioned if you will, I think that the Prince should have been HRH, Is this really the Kings choice, or does the Norweigian Parliament have a say in all of this?! I know that in Holland for instance, the Government decides on the titles of the extended royal families, so that the Grandchildren of the monarchs, not from CP are Count/ess and the Van Holleven princes will lose their HH status once WA ascends the throne. This is the governments attempt to minimize the Dutch RF's titles.

Or like it is in Denmark: HRH are children of the monarch and only the children of the CP are. Children of the other monarch's childs are only HH - like Joachim boys.

I think the family is becoming less and less royal. They are loosing too many traditions.

Last edited:
Princejonnhy25 said:
I think the family is becoming less and less royal. They are loosing too many traditions.

I don't think so. It's a different way to be royal, but how can one say they are becoming less royal?
Of course, I'd have preferred if Haakon had married a noble and royal girl, but Mette-Marit is more and more stunning in her role of Crown Princess.

No, I like Mette Marit and think she is a wonderfull princess. But it seems that so much tradition and what makes a family royal and a nation a monarchy are disappearing.

Danielane said:
I don't think so. It's a different way to be royal, but how can one say they are becoming less royal?
Of course, I'd have preferred if Haakon had married a noble and royal girl, but Mette-Marit is more and more stunning in her role of Crown Princess.

Yes, it is true, sorry to diverse the conversation, but look how grand she looked at the State visit to the UK, not only her looks and Jewels, also the way she held herself!

I did not see that name coming. But I like it. I think it was said that not only can the name Sverre be found on Haakon's side of the family, but also on Mette-Marit's side, so that's a nice touch in my opinion. I think it's a bit of a shame he won't have the title HRH, and that the flags won't be out on his birthday, but it's their choice and I respect that.

I just heard that Mette Marit went back home in an ambulance with a doctor, an obstetrician and two nurses. It is like being in the hospital.

Has anyone considered that the lack of title may be so that Marius doesn´t become alienated in the future...after all IA and SM are his half-siblings...how would he feel when they are HRH and he is without title? IA of course has the special position of future queen, but SM and Marius would now appear to have equal status (is that correct)??

I dont know if that is correct, SA is still prince Sverre Magnus, third in line to the throne, which is different position than his big brother.

Oppie said:
Either way it sounds way better then how I first was saying it. (Let's just say it sounded like the little prince was destined to be an eville Potions teacher at Hogwarts)

LOL Oppie....I thought the same thing when I first glanced at the name- I had to reread it....I thought to myself "wow they must be Harry Potter fans!". :D

I do like the name....very different (at least I've never heard it before).

I am wondering....what if (& this is just a what if)...25yrs down the road he & Princess Alexia fall Madly in Love & want to marry.
They marry & Alexia moves to Norway....what happens then....she will still be HRH (am I correct)? And if thats the case....that means she would be styled higher in rank than her husband. Am I correct or am I still totally off the mark.
I know I'm thinking far into the future I was just wondering if anyone knew....this is new territory for some of the royals.

I would've liked Prince Severus Magnus but Sverre will have to do. ;)

Adorable baby! He looks like his father and Ingrid Alexandra as babies.

I like his name, it's a very good traditional name for a prince. He is definitely adorable. :)

Last edited:
As I said before, its tit for tat, why should the females lose their HRH status upon marriage or career? If the new baby prince got HRH and got married or had a career, would they make him lose the title? If the answer is yes, well then there is no reason to give him HRH now as he'll lose it anyway and if the answer is no, then thats sexist and not equal.

Lovely name, but I do think it is very weird that he is not HRH. There are other ways to slim down the titles, but since he is 3rd in line, I don't think it makes sense for him to not have a title!

It seems a bit unfair to me that he doesn't have the HRH tittle but considering that Ingrid Alexandra is the one whose meant to be queen one day he probably doesn't really need it. By not having it he could do his own thing during his life which I think is a good thing.

I think it's a bit early to start guessing about which royals will marry each other in around 30 years time but that would make an interesting thread. A good little fun internet time waster.

so he's not even a His Highness (HH) is that right?....

Yea...he has no title except "Prince of Norway." A little odd, though. I mean, the Belgian royal family granted Princess Astrid's children the title "Princess/Prince of Belgium"...Norway won't even give little Sverre, the son of the crown PRINCE, a "HKH" or "HH." I think it's a pity...it is kind of his birthright.

I guess the view must be that as long as the line of succession to the throne is secured, titles don't matter as much. I know there are logical reasons behind this but I don't see how it'll allow the little one more freedoms later in life. It's not like he'll be less in the spotlight because he doesn't have the HRH.

Oh, well. As long as the baby has a long and happy life, that's what matters. :)

I'm kind of sad the little prince didn't get a HRH title. It's tradition and it's not like the Norwegian Royal Family is all that big right now. They have no nobility and Martha Louise's children are titleless. People wanting him to have a normal life doesn't really relate to him until maybe he's way older and his sister is on the throne. BTW, some people say he won't have to perform official duties....what if he likes doing them? (I know he can still perform duties without a title, but it just seems nicer to have one when you're representing the royal family).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom