The Royal Family of The Netherlands, Current Events 3 (April 2007 - May 2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Green Left party of Franeker complains about the costs for the upcoming Queensday. Apparently it will cost the city 300.000 euros.

That Green Party has been complaining for over a week,give 'm a lollypop to shut up.All that particular guy does is to talk himself into the spotlights,as no-one gives a -you-name-it-yourself for him nor that party.It's a real "red" thing to do,burb without thinking,otherwise they would have known that the old dutch merchant saying:"De Cost gaet voor de Baet uit" is especially true on these haydays as the spin-off/turnover during these visits are immens as they make up for a week or more of costs/work/whatever.Thousands will visit the place,a nice city btw,and the income for the local shops/café's/restaurants and municipal taxes is huge,so,at the end of the day they can make a profit.But then we're talking reds,they only know how to spend tax money and complain about anyone else who does except them.

Let him ask at the neighbours,the PvdA,if they can get some of the funds Herfkens illegally spend,that is exactly that sum,problem solved...

Johannes Hesters

I wondered why no one of of the Royal Family attended the concert of Johannes Hesters in Amersfort?
Does someone knows more about it??

I wondered why no one of of the Royal Family attended the concert of Johannes Hesters in Amersfort?
Does someone knows more about it??

Small wonder,and I do think you already know.104 Year old dutch born singer/entertainer Johan Heesters was a star here in the pre-WWII years,as well as in Germany.When war was a fact he performed in Nazi Germany,visited Dachau,in other words,he was almost a persona non-grata here after WWII.He performed here once almost 40 years ago amid a lot of protest,and now he came back to the town he was born.600 Die hard fans turned up,and that was that,they were happy,he was happy,and now is off to Germany again where he lives since the war days.A member of the RFattending?Kidding,no way,he's still regarded as a traitor to many.

Well, there were still some people protesting outside this time too, and the visit was still controversial this time (lots of media attention at least). Indeed no way that a member of the RF would be able to attend that concert.

Here are some artworks about the Queen, Maxima, Laurentien, and the three little princesses.
PPE Agency

I believe that these eggs are made every year, and though the lady who makes them is skillful indeed but the result is rather scary.

------

Last week a report about the Royal Marechaussee has been made public. Apparently many people are fired due to integrity issues. According to the report there were some who had sex in the Golden State Carriage (according to some there are digital pictures circulating of this!). Others jumped in the royal swimming pool at night, 'skinny dipping' and others were sailing privately in the Queens sailboat the 'Groene Draeck'.

In Dutch:

Elsevier

Last edited:
I believe that these eggs are made every year, and though the lady who makes them is skillful indeed but the result is rather scary.

------

Last week a report about the Royal Marechaussee has been made public. Apparently many people are fired due to integrity issues. According to the report there were some who had sex in the Golden State Carriage (according to some there are digital pictures circulating of this!). Others jumped in the royal swimming pool at night, 'skinny dipping' and others were sailing privately in the Queens sailboat the 'Groene Draeck'.

In Dutch:

Elsevier

I believe 54 were fired.And allthough there are far worse places to have sex then the Golden Coach as one can imagine,it's an insult to the dignity of the Monarchy and the Monarch.The very very last thing we expect of the Royal Constabulary Force (Marechaussee) who's task it
is to safeguard the members of the RF,the Royal Residences,and the Corps Diplomatic and it's missions/embassies.

BTW not all 54 were fired because of things connected with the RF. There wrre many reasons for firing them, among them the use of drugs and violence.
I agree with you lucien and I have to confess I will never look at the Golden State Carriage the same again ;)

That is disrespectful! Wonder what the royals think about that?

Incredible . Don't think I'll look at the carriage the same way again either!

The Prince of Orange attended a meeting on sustaineble/green airtraffic organised by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines,Kroller-Möller museum,monday.
Also present was his aunt HRH Princess Irene,as president of her very own Nature College.
PPE Agency

Courtesy KLM/Herman Wouters.

Het Koninklijk Huis

I think it's truly wonderful to see the royal familyl throw their weight behind sustainable living. I'm sure alot of people think that it's hooey, and I am by no means the crunchy sort, but I really think that sustaibnable living is the way to go forward, and to see someone with a bit of publicityy power bringing attention to it is great!

'Secret' Airshelter for the Royal Family, Layout for all to see

As posted by Joris on the Benelux Royals MB:

34 x 22 m big airraidshelter for max. 42 persons (Head of State, Royal Family and Staff) was built near Huis ten Bosch Palace when the Palace was restored for The Queen back in the early '80s. Magazine HP/De Tijd now publishes this week the fact that the detailed drawings/plans of this subterranean shelter could be viewed at the City Archive by everyone. According to the rules these drawings/plans were supposed to be kept topsecret. Not so it appeared. They could be viewed and taken photos of. They were even on-line at the Gemeentearchief internetsite... The Hague Alder(wo)man Jetty Klijnsma admitted that this stupid blunder was made. The drawings have been locked behind closed doors until 2057 (?). When this was discovered a quick search was done siumultaneously whether other highly sensitive files, not meant to be public, regarding the Royal House could be read at the City Archive by anyone interested.
The RVD expresses it regrets that the magazine has published some parts of the drawing in their latest issue. National Terrorism Co-ordinator Tjibbe Joustra had requested the magazine not to publish it beforehand. HP/De Tijd saw no reason to refrain from publication, for it seemed that years ago the exact location of the airraidshelter got known by a leak.

Read an article in Dutch here.

The Four Freedom Awards; May 24th, 2008

On May 24 H.E. Prime Minister mr. dr. J.P. Balkenende will hand out the four freedom awards in the presence of HM The Queen and HRH Princess Maxima in the Nieuwe Kerk in Middelburg, Zeeland.

Some information from wikipedia:

The Four Freedoms Award is an annual liberal inclined award presented to those men and women who have "demonstrated" an achievement to the principles lined out in the Four freedoms speech president Franklin Delano Roosevelt gave to the US Congress on 6 January 1941. It is handed out in alternate years in New York by the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute and in Middelburg by the Roosevelt Stichting.

The awards were first presented in 1982 on the centenary of president Roosevelt's birth as well as the bicentenary of diplomatic relations between the United States and the Netherlands. The awards were founded to celebrate the four freedoms espoused by president Roosevelt in his speech:
  1. Freedom of speech
  2. Freedom of religion
  3. Freedom from want
  4. Freedom from fear
For each of the four freedoms an award was instituted, as well as a special Freedom award. In 1990, 1995, 2003 and 2004 there were also special awards.
In odd years the awards are presented to American citizens or institutions by the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute in Hyde Park, New York. In even years the award ceremony is held in Middelburg and honours non-Americans.The choice for Middelburg was motivated by the suspected descendance of the family Roosevelt from Oud-Vossemeer in the municipality Tholen.

:dutchstandard:
This years recipients of the Four Freedoms Award are:

Former German President Richard von Weizsäcker:

For his contribution to cope with the WW II past of Germany by defining the end of the war not as the
day Germany lost the war,but a day of liberation.

Lakhdar Brahimi:

Freedom of Speech and Expression:For his contribution to Freedom of Expression as a Special UN Envoy to
Afghanistan and Iraq between 2001 and 2005.

Dr.Karen Armstrong:

Freedom of Worship,British author,for her contribution to the Freedom of Religion,an expert in the field of Religion,
she opened the basics of the Christian,Muslim,Jewish faiths to a broader audience.

Jan Egeland:

Freedom from Want:for his role in the diplomatic process that resulted in the Oslo Agreement between Palestine and israel in 1993.
The diplomatic involvement in a cease fire in Guatemala,the 1997 Ottawa Treaty on use and production of landmines.

Willemijn Verloop:

Freedom from Fear:for her role as founder of War Child The Netherlands.

With the Freedom for Fear Award for War Child the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute
emphisizes the importance of childcare in warzones.

Het Koninklijk Huis

Willemijn Verloop is a good friend of princess Mabel. Princess Mabel is also founder of War Child.
Maybe princess Mabel will come with the Queen and princess Maxima to Middelburg.

I remember Willemijn Verloop speaking out for Mabel during the engagement time. Did Mabel participate in founding Warchild too?

I remember Willemijn Verloop speaking out for Mabel during the engagement time. Did Mabel participate in founding Warchild too?

HRH is co-founder of Warchild,and still very much involved.
:flowers:

Willemijn Verloop is a good friend of princess Mabel. Princess Mabel is also founder of War Child.
Maybe princess Mabel will come with the Queen and princess Maxima to Middelburg.

Princess Mabel is attending a symposium in Tokyo at present,and will not return until after saturday,unless she skips part of the program there,which I don't think she will do.
:)

Several members of the Dutch RF attended the soccer match The Netherlands vs. France on friday:

PPE Picture ;)

Are they going to Italy this summer for their vacation?

I don't know if anybody will know the answer to this question, but do any of the Dutch royal family hunt? If so, who?

Today Her Majesty,and Princess Margriet,will receive the Paralympic medalists at Noordeinde Palace.

HM will also perform the start of the 25th Palace-Run at Het Loo Palace,Apeldoorn today.

Originated as an initiative of the Royal House and Diplomatic Safety Agency as a proof of their bond with the RF,it now is a full grown sport event with 43 teams from several countries participating,each team consisting of 7 and they'll have to run 70 km.

Het Koninklijk Huis

I don't know if anybody will know the answer to this question, but do any of the Dutch royal family hunt? If so, who?

They used to hunt here,until there came a law against hunting,or better,regulates it,
as we don't have natural predators left here that did the job.
Now,occasionally,a RF member flies out,on invitation,to countries where hunting
is still allowed,Spain for instance or Austria to name a few.

The hunt was one of the Royal Prerogatives in the old old days long gone.

The Dutch paralympic athletes are really in for a treat: a reception with 2 royals!! Even more than the 'regular' athletes. Good for them, they deserve it. Our RF sets a fine example!!

19-09-2008 The Hague Queen Beatrix and Princess Margriet with the ParaLympics medal winners of Beijing 2008 at Palace Noordeinde in The Hague.
PPE Agency

those are some delightful pictures of her majesty and princess magriet. they are such lovely ladies. magriet is certainly adorable and so warm.

Yes it is nice to see HM with her sister again so soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom