The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Incredible that Bernhard was able to pull that off and Juliana had to look the other way, even in her own house! I know that in those days royal traditions and such were different and not as 'bourgeois' as now, but still... in your own house!
I'm with you.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Okay...who is Cockey Giles? Is this an affiar that Bernhard had at a residence he shared with the Queen?

Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Royal Highness

Wounded lady became particulier secretaresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Okay...who is Cockey Giles? Is this an affiar that Bernhard had at a residence he shared with the Queen?
Ms. C.M. 'Cocky' Gilles was since 1944 the particulier secretaresse of HRH Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld.

In september 1944 Prince Bernhard, Commander of the Interior Forces in the already liberated south of the Netherlands drove alongside the frontline and saw a heavily wounded lady lying near a dry moat. The Prince took pity on the young lady and ordered that she would receive the best care available. Despite the turbulent events in in the rest of the war (1944 and 1945) the Prince kept an eye on the care and revalidation of the lady. He thought she was reliable, loyal and trustworthy and he asked her to become his particulier secretary (= for the private affairs of the Prince. He has another secretaries for his official affairs).

What followed was a lifelong dedication to the Prince and in a sort of reflective and protective manner his particulier secretary developed into a sort of guardian shield around the Prince. Even for the family, the always and ever omnipresent 'Aunt Cocky' became part of the palace inventory. The rumours about a love affair between the Prince and the particulier secretaresse became alive when the Prince build a pied-à-terre on the estate Il Elefante Felice in Porto Ercole (Italy). Even during the summer- and winter vacations, Ms. Gilles joined the royal family in Italy or Austria.

It was Princess Margarita who, in her war against the royal family and especially against Prince Bernhard ("he is the King, not Beatrix") accused him of having had an affair with 'Aunt Cocky'. Prince Bernhard, who had admitted extramarital relationships with other ladies and the extramarital daughters he acknowledged and who share his inheritance, always and ever categorically denied any affair with Ms. Gilles.

The Prince was a very generous gentleman toward her anyway. On her old day he paid a luxury appartment for her in an exclusive residence (where also his brother Prince Aschwin and sister-in-law Princess Simone lived). It is one of those estates in The Hague, known for rich millionaires spending their old day in. I believe Ms. Gilles has died a few years ago.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Did Bernhard ever deny his involvement with Mlle Gilles? I can not recall him making any comments on the matter.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Majesty

Former Master of the Royal Mews,W.F.K.Bischoff van Heemskerck passed away - aged 89- at the hospital of Cháteau-d'Oex,Switserland on sunday,his family announced.

During the war he studied medicine and joined the resistance for which he was improsened at Scheveningen and the concentration camp Sachsenhausen.

Shortly after the war HM Queen Wilhelmina appointed him as Master of the Royal Mews and he maintained this position during the Reigns of Queens Wilhelmina,Juliana and Beatrix.

Mr.W.F.K.Bischoff van Heemskerck will be interred in Switserland on thursday.
R.I.P.
Oud-stalmeester Koninklijk Huis overleden - Reformatorisch Dagblad - Internet Editie
Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Nobility

Can anyone tell me if there will be a photoshoot of the Dutch royal family on holiday this year?

Are they actually going on holiday to Italy this year?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS View Post
Can anyone tell me if there will be a photoshoot of the Dutch royal family on holiday this year?

Are they actually going on holiday to Italy this year?

Thanks
No there won't be one,as there was the photo-shoot in june at Alexia's birthday already,so they would be left alone by the press for the rest of the summer.But don't worry,in less then 4 weeks (september 1st)there will be fantastic photo-shoots as Alexander will host his (belated) 40th birthday party/reception at Het Loo Palace with all the family,friends and his "collegues" attending.It will be a lavish event.

And yes,the family went to Italy july 8th,and spend (part of-) their holidays there.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Nobility

Thanks very much for the info.

Will there be other royals attending his birthday celebrations?

I presume it might be a gala event.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Serene Highness

Their royal holiday lasts about two months? That is a long time but hey I am sure they are not complaining!!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
No there won't be one,as there was the photo-shoot in june at Alexia's birthday already,so they would be left alone by the press for the rest of the summer.But don't worry,in less then 4 weeks (september 1st)there will be fantastic photo-shoots as Alexander will host his (belated) 40th birthday party/reception at Het Loo Palace with all the family,friends and his "collegues" attending.It will be a lavish event.

And yes,the family went to Italy july 8th,and spend (part of-) their holidays there.

thanks for the info, lucien. i can't wait.. :)

is it confirmed that it will be the first of september? can we expect foreign (young) royals there, or is it likely to be a private party with willem-alexander's dutch friends?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post

is it confirmed that it will be the first of september? can we expect foreign (young) royals there, or is it likely to be a private party with willem-alexander's dutch friends?
Yes, it is confirmed. Apart from the family and friends, also members of the royal houses will attend
Het Koninklijk Huis
Old 08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Their royal holiday lasts about two months? That is a long time but hey I am sure they are not complaining!!
No. Coming week the royal agenda will start again with various audiences. visits, openings, appointments, etc. The Prince of Orange will be in Stockholm the whole week for the World Water Forum.

The Queen has various items planned. Princess Máxima has no duties for the coming week, no public duties anyway.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post

No Carlota,it will be a grand event,and Het Loo Palace such a beautifull setting,as I said all his "collegues" have been invited,meaning ofcourse the Heirs to the Thrones,and their spouses,as well as other members of their families.

To Kelly,oh no,not two months,more like four weeks.But ofcourse HM always is "on duty" even on holiday,she still has to sign Acts,and gets suitcases with papers to read.Or returns for an official function in between like last weekend as she attended the closing ceremony of the Kingdom Games:
Het Koninklijk Huis

Except during the last week of her holidays when as a rule/tradition she is left in peace,not bothered by official papers nor anyone official except in the case of an "emergency' ofcourse and only the PM and the director of the Kabinet of HM The Queen know her whereabouts.Grand her that,she had a busy schedule the last few months,and much more to come,if not yet announced,in the coming months.

You can always check the calendar for their engagements.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 PM

A rather nice video from YouTube of Dame Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again" to Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Perhaps you could include a link, so the rest of us can enjoy Dame Vera too?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Serene Highness

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

Thanks for the information. I was wondering about their annual photoshoot. I have been so busy myself that I have not be keeping up like I usually do. I can hardly wait for the 40th b-day celebrations. Just a couple more weeks.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

According to NOS news the inhabitants of Laage Vuursche are complaining about the new anti-terror measures taken at Drakensteyn Castle, former residence of the Queen (and probably her future one). Especially the new 3.5 meters high black fence spoils the character of the village. The news even interviewed Diana Bosch van Drakenteyn, whose brother sold the castle to Beatrix. Diana was even measuring steps to show how large the future building of the marechaussee will be built. The news hinted that the abdication of Beatrix is not too far away, rather odd for the public station IMHO.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

thanks everyone for the information! i just can't wait til september!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Aristocracy

the september news is just wonderful.i hope ALL HEIRS will go.i wish the heirs' childern will be included in the photoshoot,although i know it is imposible,but this is just my dream to see the heirs and their children in one place.it would be fantastic to see children and their parents interaction.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you could include a link, so the rest of us can enjoy Dame Vera too?
Silly me.

Tags
crown prince willem-alexander, pieter van vollenhoven, prince bernhard jr., prince constantijn, prince floris, prince friso, prince maurits, prince pieter-christiaan, princess aimee, princess anita, princess annette, princess christina of the netherlands, princess irene (1939 - ), princess laurentien, princess mabel, princess margriet, princess marilene, princess maxima, queen beatrix