The Royal Family of The Netherlands, Current Events 3 (April 2007 - May 2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"In your dreams baby" :rolleyes:....but wouldn't it be swell:wub:

It will be a girls night out tonight as HM and Princess Máxima will attend the gala premiere of the Hans van Manen Festival,
a tribute to the 75 year old choreographer at the Muziektheater,Amsterdam.

The San Fransisco Ballet will perform "Grosse Fuge",the Mariinski Theater (Kirov) "Trois Gnossiennes" and ofcours the
National Ballet and Danstheater II will perform as well.
Het Koninklijk Huis
:flowers:

PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE/Nieboer.

I am sure they will have enjoyed the ballet. Didn't van Manen also 'perform' at various state visits as a return-presentation?

HM is wearing furs while Maxima looks like it is still summer. Yet I like both outfits.

Apparently Hand van Manen received an order. He now is a commander in the order of the Dutch Lion.

I love Maxima's shoes! She sometimes wears frumpy ones.

:dutchstandard:

Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema,Knight of the Military Willems Order,Soldier of Orange,Resistance Hero and National Legend,
born april 3rd 1917 at Surabaya,Java,Dutch East Indies present day Indonesia,passed away - aged 90 - at his home
in Hawai last wednesday,his family announced today.

Not a Royal himself,but a very close and dear friend and confident since early on in WW II.

He was a law student at the beginning of the war,joined the resistance and fled to England in 1941.From there he smuggled radio sets,transmitters,maps etc. back to The Netherlands.Eventually he joined the RAF and flew over 70 missions over Germany.

In 1945 he was a confidant - and appointed Adjutant - to HM Queen Wilhelmina,and his first act as such was to pick up then Princess Juliana and the Princesses from England back home.A deep and life long friendship with all members of the RF resulted in him being a sort of substitute father and grandfather to HM sons Alexander,Friso and Constantijn,after Claus and Bernhard passed away,and always present on haydays of the family.

His book "Soldier of Orange",about his experiences during the war,and those of others,was a bestseller,soon after it was published,it was filmed and was a top hit at the box office,a pretty good idea of how things were at that time,still a popular movie to see.

Since about the mid 1950's Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema moved to the US and lived in Hawai since most of that time.

He is sadly missed by the Royal Family,his family & friends as well as the Resistance Foundation 1940 - 1945 to whoms members he was an outstanding friend and buddy,and like his late friend Bernhard,did whatever he could to be of assistance to his old buddies in any which way
if needed.

R.I.P.

The RVD stated earlyer today;"the Royal Family is deeply saddened,HM has send a condolence telegram to the family".

In due time the ashes of the deceased will be scattered at an estate close to the war monument on the Schouwweg,Wassenaar.

Last edited:
Now that is sad news indeed! He will be sadly missed, not only by the RF but by many of us. I believe he was recently interviewed with Princess Irene. And he was also close to the younger generation, Prince Willem-Alexander and some of the sons of Princess Margriet.

Now that is sad news indeed! He will be sadly missed, not only by the RF but by many of us. I believe he was recently interviewed with Princess Irene. And he was also close to the younger generation, Prince Willem-Alexander and some of the sons of Princess Margriet.

Very sad indeed,Marengo.
http://www.royalblog.nl/

Courtesy HJA.

The Soldier of Orange will be cremated this saturday near his home on Hawai,the family announced.
In a statement issued by the RVD it said no members of the RF will attend.

In Wassenaar,a monument will be erected that will,eventually,hold Erik's ashes;"But not untill the next year" according to the family.

(I think there will be a representation of the RF at that time.)

According to the Telegraaf, Dutch television station NCRV is making a series of 7 portraits about all the ´new´ Princesses (Maxima, Mabel, Laurentien, Marilene, Annette, Anita, Aimee). Each episode will focus on one princess and will contain interviews (the article is unclear if that would be interviews with the princesses themselves or with others). The host is Elsemieke Havinga and the programme will be aired in the autumn of 2008.

The Party of the Animals (PvdD) and Foundation Fauna Nederland are creating a fuss about the RF and hunting, according to them members of the royal family were involved in a hunt this monday at the Crown Domains of Het Loo. The RVD usually never comments on things like this but this time they did and they denied that any member of the RF went hunting on monday at the Crown Domains.

The Party of the Animals (PvdD) and Foundation Fauna Nederland are creating a fuss about the RF and hunting, according to them members of the royal family were involved in a hunt this monday at the Crown Domains of Het Loo. The RVD usually never comments on things like this but this time they did and they denied that any member of the RF went hunting on monday at the Crown Domains.

That party is a regular,and costly,nuisance,fanatics,maybe to be silenced once a good opportunity arrises,they do not deserve the forum of the States General to air their nonsense.True,no members of the RF were hunting monday,they just bring it up to create a stirr.What is happening is the so-called drukjacht,as there are over 8000 wild boars while there usually are no more then 600,and there is no food for soo many at the Domains,so the responsible government minister approved,exceptionally,for a drukjacht,so most will be shot,yes.It is due to the changing climate that so many wild animals survive where in a tougher winter many would meet their end in a more "natural" way.

November 23rd
Her Majesty The Queen will receive the first copy of "Palace Europe",a book reflecting on three symposia on Europe's future,held at Noordeinde Palace in the spring of this year.HM was the hostess.

Queen, W-A & Maxima (anp)
Pic 1 -- pic 2

Last edited:
Oh no, not that horrible belt again...:ohmy:

Apparently HM herself (!) wrote the preface of this book. She writes that International problems can be better dealt with if the EU will use their joint forces. She also thinks that speaking about the EU secretely only will give people the impression that they don´t have anything to say about the EU, which according to her is not true at all.

Well, that's really good to hear (and here I am, blablaing about ugly belts, silly me). Thanks for the information, Marengo. It's good to see that HM is so well informed. Needless to say: I totally agree with her... ;)

Well, apart from being good informed this is a cause close to her heart, it is no secret that HM is strongly in favour of a more united European Union (with all memberstates keeping their own identity, as one should add). She even received the Karls preis for this and she held many speeches on the matter, much more than any of her collegues and usually more passionate too. I suppose it isn´t a coinsidence that Prince Constantijn worked for the EU too, as did his cousin Jaime.

two more pictures from yesterday's event. Maxima looked lovely, outfit was okay, Queen is always nice to see with the cp-couple, I also think it was nice they were attending.

Thanks for the intresting information about this event.

Queen & Maxima -- Queen & Cp couple
(anp)

i will see the cloths of Maxima a little bit closer , have we seen this before ?? It is very nice !

As posted by Joris on the Benelux Royals MB:

Magazine HP De Tijd (not particularly known for a preference for the monarchy) composed a list of 100 Most Influential Dutchmen (5 categories, 20 persons per category). Remarkable I find the number of four Dutch royals in a list of 100! (number of inhabitants of NL: 16 391 604 (Sep. 2007)).

The named royals are:

Leaders & Debate-inspirators:
* Queen Beatrix ("The mighty protectress")
* Princess Máxima ("The most useful member of the Oranges")

Pioneers & Heroes:
* Pieter van Vollenhoven ("Feared watchdog")
* Irene van Lippe-Biesterfeld ("Monument for nature")

No royals however in the other 3 categories: Scientists & Thinkers, Artists & Performers,
Captains of industry & Tycoons

Princess Mabel is not mentioned for a change. Perhaps HP doesn't find her influential seen in a purely national context.

Thanks Marengo to update that list. It's very good to see Princess Irene to be named in there, i think she has done alot for the society in regarding about nature, and it should be recognised.

As posted by Joris on the Benelux Royals MB:

Google will henceforward publish a weekly list of most searched issues on the Internet.
Today the first Dutch Google list was published: would you believe that "Koninklijk Huis" (Royal House) is on the No. 6 position? (after 1. Jerry Rigters 2. Tel Sell 3. Jeroen Rietbergen 4. Tata 5. Carla Bruni) and even before the American Elections www.stemwijzer.nl)?
I am pleased that the Monarchy raises the inetrest of many, many Dutchmen.
happy.gif
There is no indifference. (Unless small groups of Orange fan(atics) google more than the Average Dutchman.)

RVD announced on January 2nd that this years Queensday will be in Friesland; in the cities of Makkum and Franeker.

link

Note that the website of the RF says 'Fryslân' instead of Friesland.

RVD announced on January 2nd that this years Queensday will be in Friesland; in the cities of Makkum and Franeker.

link

Note that the website of the RF says 'Fryslân' instead of Friesland.

It's already on the Calendar here,and here as well ofcourse....
Het Koninklijk Huis

Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau and Prince Jaime of Bourbon-Parma attended the World Economic Forum in Davos, this week. They were there last year too.

Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau and Prince Jaime of Bourbon-Parma attended the World Economic Forum in Davos, this week. They were there last year too.

Yes, I saw Mabel with George Soros on TV. What did she do in Davos? Is Mabel Mr. Soros's assistant?

Yes, I saw Mabel with George Soros on TV. What did she do in Davos? Is Mabel Mr. Soros's assistant?

Not really,she is a (very succesfull!!) independently operating director of one of Mr.Soros's foundations/organisations in the field of development of former East-block countries,and beyond.Mabel is someone who is heard at the annual world economic summit in Davos.
She already was before her marriage.
:)

The Royal Family has left today for,and probably already arrived in,Lech am Arlberg for their annual winter holiday.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Green Left party of Franeker complains about the costs for the upcoming Queensday. Apparently it will cost the city 300.000 euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom