The Royal Family of The Netherlands, Current Events 3 (April 2007 - May 2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A pity that the Prince of Orange didn't take it, probably too public for him and his young family but still, considering the history it would have been nice...

Has it already been sold? I though it was still on sale, as some in the boulevard press are commenting that Bernhards illegitemate daughters are getting impatient and want their money, which is not possible as some properties still have to be sold.

As the old saying goes,"talk about the devil,and you step on his tail",apparently the villa has just been sold.
http://www.royalblog.nl/

Courtesy HJA.
:)

Nice article about the elephant. Interesting that Cocky Gilles had her own place on the estate...

Nice article about the elephant. Interesting that Cocky Gilles had her own place on the estate...

That was known for years really,just as she had her own appartment at Soestdijk Palace.

Incredible that Bernhard was able to pull that off and Juliana had to look the other way, even in her own house! I know that in those days royal traditions and such were different and not as 'bourgeois' as now, but still... in your own house!

Incredible that Bernhard was able to pull that off and Juliana had to look the other way, even in her own house! I know that in those days royal traditions and such were different and not as 'bourgeois' as now, but still... in your own house!

I'm with you.

Okay...who is Cockey Giles? Is this an affiar that Bernhard had at a residence he shared with the Queen?

Wounded lady became particulier secretaresse

Okay...who is Cockey Giles? Is this an affiar that Bernhard had at a residence he shared with the Queen?

Ms. C.M. 'Cocky' Gilles was since 1944 the particulier secretaresse of HRH Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld.

In september 1944 Prince Bernhard, Commander of the Interior Forces in the already liberated south of the Netherlands drove alongside the frontline and saw a heavily wounded lady lying near a dry moat. The Prince took pity on the young lady and ordered that she would receive the best care available. Despite the turbulent events in in the rest of the war (1944 and 1945) the Prince kept an eye on the care and revalidation of the lady. He thought she was reliable, loyal and trustworthy and he asked her to become his particulier secretary (= for the private affairs of the Prince. He has another secretaries for his official affairs).

What followed was a lifelong dedication to the Prince and in a sort of reflective and protective manner his particulier secretary developed into a sort of guardian shield around the Prince. Even for the family, the always and ever omnipresent 'Aunt Cocky' became part of the palace inventory. The rumours about a love affair between the Prince and the particulier secretaresse became alive when the Prince build a pied-à-terre on the estate Il Elefante Felice in Porto Ercole (Italy). Even during the summer- and winter vacations, Ms. Gilles joined the royal family in Italy or Austria.

It was Princess Margarita who, in her war against the royal family and especially against Prince Bernhard ("he is the King, not Beatrix") accused him of having had an affair with 'Aunt Cocky'. Prince Bernhard, who had admitted extramarital relationships with other ladies and the extramarital daughters he acknowledged and who share his inheritance, always and ever categorically denied any affair with Ms. Gilles.

The Prince was a very generous gentleman toward her anyway. On her old day he paid a luxury appartment for her in an exclusive residence (where also his brother Prince Aschwin and sister-in-law Princess Simone lived). It is one of those estates in The Hague, known for rich millionaires spending their old day in. I believe Ms. Gilles has died a few years ago.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Did Bernhard ever deny his involvement with Mlle Gilles? I can not recall him making any comments on the matter.

Former Master of the Royal Mews,W.F.K.Bischoff van Heemskerck passed away - aged 89- at the hospital of Cháteau-d'Oex,Switserland on sunday,his family announced.

During the war he studied medicine and joined the resistance for which he was improsened at Scheveningen and the concentration camp Sachsenhausen.

Shortly after the war HM Queen Wilhelmina appointed him as Master of the Royal Mews and he maintained this position during the Reigns of Queens Wilhelmina,Juliana and Beatrix.

Mr.W.F.K.Bischoff van Heemskerck will be interred in Switserland on thursday.
R.I.P.
Oud-stalmeester Koninklijk Huis overleden - Reformatorisch Dagblad - Internet Editie

Can anyone tell me if there will be a photoshoot of the Dutch royal family on holiday this year?

Are they actually going on holiday to Italy this year?

Thanks

Can anyone tell me if there will be a photoshoot of the Dutch royal family on holiday this year?

Are they actually going on holiday to Italy this year?

Thanks

No there won't be one,as there was the photo-shoot in june at Alexia's birthday already,so they would be left alone by the press for the rest of the summer.But don't worry,in less then 4 weeks (september 1st)there will be fantastic photo-shoots as Alexander will host his (belated) 40th birthday party/reception at Het Loo Palace with all the family,friends and his "collegues" attending.It will be a lavish event.

And yes,the family went to Italy july 8th,and spend (part of-) their holidays there.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the info.

Will there be other royals attending his birthday celebrations?

I presume it might be a gala event.

Their royal holiday lasts about two months? That is a long time but hey I am sure they are not complaining!!

No there won't be one,as there was the photo-shoot in june at Alexia's birthday already,so they would be left alone by the press for the rest of the summer.But don't worry,in less then 4 weeks (september 1st)there will be fantastic photo-shoots as Alexander will host his (belated) 40th birthday party/reception at Het Loo Palace with all the family,friends and his "collegues" attending.It will be a lavish event.

And yes,the family went to Italy july 8th,and spend (part of-) their holidays there.

thanks for the info, lucien. i can't wait.. :)

is it confirmed that it will be the first of september? can we expect foreign (young) royals there, or is it likely to be a private party with willem-alexander's dutch friends?

is it confirmed that it will be the first of september? can we expect foreign (young) royals there, or is it likely to be a private party with willem-alexander's dutch friends?

Yes, it is confirmed:flowers:. Apart from the family and friends, also members of the royal houses will attend:rolleyes:
Het Koninklijk Huis

Their royal holiday lasts about two months? That is a long time but hey I am sure they are not complaining!!

No. Coming week the royal agenda will start again with various audiences. visits, openings, appointments, etc. The Prince of Orange will be in Stockholm the whole week for the World Water Forum.

The Queen has various items planned. Princess Máxima has no duties for the coming week, no public duties anyway.

No Carlota,it will be a grand event,and Het Loo Palace such a beautifull setting,as I said all his "collegues" have been invited,meaning ofcourse the Heirs to the Thrones,and their spouses,as well as other members of their families.

To Kelly,oh no,not two months,more like four weeks.But ofcourse HM always is "on duty" even on holiday,she still has to sign Acts,and gets suitcases with papers to read.Or returns for an official function in between like last weekend as she attended the closing ceremony of the Kingdom Games:
Het Koninklijk Huis

Except during the last week of her holidays when as a rule/tradition she is left in peace,not bothered by official papers nor anyone official except in the case of an "emergency' ofcourse and only the PM and the director of the Kabinet of HM The Queen know her whereabouts.Grand her that,she had a busy schedule the last few months,and much more to come,if not yet announced,in the coming months.

You can always check the calendar for their engagements.
:flowers::flowers:

A rather nice video from YouTube of Dame Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again" to Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard.

Perhaps you could include a link, so the rest of us can enjoy Dame Vera too?

Thanks for the information. I was wondering about their annual photoshoot. I have been so busy myself that I have not be keeping up like I usually do. I can hardly wait for the 40th b-day celebrations. Just a couple more weeks.

According to NOS news the inhabitants of Laage Vuursche are complaining about the new anti-terror measures taken at Drakensteyn Castle, former residence of the Queen (and probably her future one). Especially the new 3.5 meters high black fence spoils the character of the village. The news even interviewed Diana Bosch van Drakenteyn, whose brother sold the castle to Beatrix. Diana was even measuring steps to show how large the future building of the marechaussee will be built. The news hinted that the abdication of Beatrix is not too far away, rather odd for the public station IMHO.

thanks everyone for the information! i just can't wait til september!

the september news is just wonderful.i hope ALL HEIRS will go.i wish the heirs' childern will be included in the photoshoot,although i know it is imposible,but this is just my dream to see the heirs and their children in one place.it would be fantastic to see children and their parents interaction.

the september news is just wonderful.i hope ALL HEIRS will go.i wish the heirs' childern will be included in the photoshoot,although i know it is imposible,but this is just my dream to see the heirs and their children in one place.it would be fantastic to see children and their parents interaction.

I wouldn´t count on much. The birthday ball for Beatrix 60th birthday only had two pictures released, no group picture was made public. I suspect that they will continue this policy and consider it a private event, so a minumum of pictures, and no tiara´s either of course. Calvinists....;)

The singer's voice is moving..and what can I say about the Queen? Excellent..Excellent as ever. She is very professional, and also has the true spirit of a Queen.

Vanesa.:flowers::)

I wouldn´t count on much. The birthday ball for Beatrix 60th birthday only had two pictures released, no group picture was made public. I suspect that they will continue this policy and consider it a private event, so a minumum of pictures, and no tiara´s either of course. Calvinists....;)

On the other hand,there was extensive coverage of HM 60th birthday celebrations on tv,the arrival and reception at the Stedelijk Museum,the trip to Het Loo Palace on saturday and the service at the Westerkerk the next morning,all released on video shortly after.
It's in my collection.
As will happen with this event I hope.See it from the suny side,we'll have enough to oh and ah for I'm sure.

Btw,the reason for the concert,above,was the 80th birthday in 1989 of then Princess Juliana,IIRC.

Last edited:
Well, when you prepare yourself for the worst the end result can only be better and you won´t get disappointed ;). As the birthday of the crownprince didn´t pass unmarked in April I still feel they will consider this private. But perhaps we will get some glimpses, it would be nice if they release the programme soon.

Personally I would like to see the birthday ball at het Loo with HM in the Stuart parure, Maxima with the Wurtemberg pearls, extended version, Mabel with the floral diamond tiara Laurentien and the Mellerio rubies, Irene and her peacock parure, Margarita and the laurel tiara, Maria-Carolina with the diamond bandeau, Margriet with the Mellerio sapphires, Marilene with the aquamarines, Annette with the Pavlovnik tiara, Anita and pearl-button tiara, Aimee with the laurel-wreath tiara, Christina and the emerald parure which leaves Juliana Guillermo to chose either the diamond butterfly or the brooches of the tiara of the East Indies as hairornament(s). And I am leaving out the necklaces, brooches, devant corsages etc etc. But as the americans say, ´it ain´t happening baby´. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom