The Princess of Orange, Princesses Alexia and Ariane, News Part 1 (May 2013-Jan 2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be no problem regarding Princess Amalia's future annual income thanks to an inventive mechanism in the Dutch Budget systematic. It prescribes that foreseeable expenditures withing five years need to be reported.

So on Prinsjesdag 2016 the King presented the State Budget 2017 in which, for the first time, the future income of the Princess of Orange was mentioned.

It has been discussed with every reading of every annual State Budget. In 2016, in 2017 and now in 2018. The current Budget still is under reading in the Senate for the final vote. But Amalia will be 100% safe. Do you know why? Look how many of the 150 members of the Chamber have approved the Budget of the King.....:

https://www.tweedekamer.nl/kamerstu...g=wetsvoorsteldetails&qry=wetsvoorstel:34775I

It would be utter inconsequence to block Amalia's income while in all these years the Parliament voted with almost unanimity. This year the Partij voor de Dieren (Animal Rights Party) voted against the Budget 2019. Not that it has anything to do with the income for Princess Amalia. It is a protest against the wildlife management on the Crown Domains for which the King is responsible (wildlife management sometimes involves the shooting of animals).

Yes, of course she will get the money and of course it will be voted through the Parliament.

My point is that if there is a public debate saying: Why give such an amount to the Princess of Orange if she is hardly doing anything and we hardly know her? Can't she cope with a part-time secretary?

I cannot emphasize strongly enough that I am not blaming Amalia, her current work schedule or lack of it, is not her decision. - It's another matter when she's eighteen though.
But why oh why subject her to criticism if it is so easy to deflect it by giving her a hand full of jobs a year before she turns eighteen? - Something that IMO is good practice as well.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree. It would IMO make her transition into official life so much easier.
And she will get whoopee-experience early on. Because she really has to screw up badly in order not to get praised at her first official events as a young teen.

It would be nice if some of the heirs and next heirs who are in their teens could get together for something. Something with youth and charity. Nice and uncontroversial.
There are off hand some five heirs in their teens right now.
The Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Denmark - and perhaps Leonor of Spain, though she may be a little too young.

If you think Christian is old enough, Leonor should be old enough as well as Leonor is only 16 days younger than Christian... That you think of her as much younger probsbly says something about how they appear and behave in public. In both cases, they are included in official representations (more so than Amalia who is 2 years older).

She is less privileged as many of other Wassenaar kids: just to the local village school and not to a posh particulier school. Just on the bike to the Sorghvliet Gymnasium, no typical Range Rover-parents in Burberry bringing their adolescent to the school-gate, but just on the bike, in rain and wind, to The Hague.

No open social media allowed, mobile phone bans on holiday, etc. There are thousands and thousands more girls living a more posh and spoiled life than Amalia. With all her privileges, her parents seem determined to keep both feet on the ground. In which other monarchy one would see the (then) future Queen acting as "stay mother" and as "lice mother"???

:lol:

https://gpdhome.typepad.com/nieuwsberichten/2008/07/mxima-overblijf.html

I am not sure that going to the public school in the posh neighbourhood of one of the upperclass villages in the Netherlands isn't privileged. I, however, do agree that within that very privileged group Willem-Alexander and Máxima try to make sure that they live a relatively normal life and adhere to many of the cultural practices of the Dutch. Going to a private school is extremely uncommon and going to school by bike is common practice, so good yo see the princesses doing the same as the large majority of their age group.

The real problem would be for Amalia herself and not the public or money. She's leading a way too normal life now...there is no problem with that, but she's the future Queen, she will never be normal. What I'm trying to say is that it will be harder on her if on her 18th b-day she is pushed to start doing engagements right away. That could be a shock. She is not clearly prepared, and she might need to learn the hard way. If she was already doing one/two per year, she would start to feel more at ease and understand how things need to be done. And one or two events per year won't damage her grades. The event Maxima went to christening the ship, it would be a perfect oportunity, or go with her father or even grandmother to an easy event, either children's hospital or theater...but nothing...

She is more in the public eye than most of her temporaries. In which monarchy the royal family dives for hours into a human crowd of thousands and thousands to celebrate the King's birthday? I have never seen Élisabeth, Ingrid Alexandra or Leonor doing that. This event is broadcast for hours on all channels. Not alike ribbon-cutting for one minute.

Picture: https://imgn.rgcdn.nl/b5c5b13b2de14313bcfa2180dbca4d33/opener/Foto-ANP-Remko-de-Waal.jpg
True but King's birthday is more of a fun event, smiling, enjoying games, etc. It's a easy job IMO. But to name the girls you mention in your post, both Elisabeth, Ingrid Alexandra and Leonor already "talked in public", either be for memorial like Elisabeth, or for a ship's christening like IA, or reading the constitution like Leonor. Leonor was also very sheltered from public life, but starting January 2018, it was clear that she would take more serious role, and we saw some progress on that. And Elisabeth and IA have been to several engagements before, even IA guided The Duke and The Duchess of Cambridge to her park. Even Estelle is going on a better path...Sorry, I understand what you meant but I think you can't compare King's Birthday to any of this.

Last edited:
The queen baptized a boat that was named after her eldest daughter yesterday. It would have been a good occasion for Amalia to have joined. It is an easy function, would only take an hour or so and she just needed to smile and throw a bottle. But apparently not.

In neighboring Belgium, the Duchess of Brabant had already christened a ship when she was only 14, I guess. I suppose the Princess of Orange was too busy with her school exams.
The real problem would be for Amalia herself and not the public or money. She's leading a way too normal life now...there is no problem with that, but she's the future Queen, she will never be normal. What I'm trying to say is that it will be harder on her if on her 18th b-day she is pushed to start doing engagements right away. That could be a shock. She is not clearly prepared, and she might need to learn the hard way. If she was already doing one/two per year, she would start to feel more at ease and understand how things need to be done. And one or two events per year won't damage her grades. The event Maxima went to christening the ship, it would be a perfect oportunity, or go with her father or even grandmother to an easy event, either children's hospital or theater...but nothing...

See my comment on christening the ship above. Having said that, I strongly believe that the most important thing in a young crown heir's life should be to concentrate on his/her education. The British Royal Family is by no means a model in terms of royal upbringing, but, just as a side comment, we don't see British princes taking solo public engagements until they are way past their university years. Their public appearances are restricted to public family events.

Last edited:
She is more in the public eye than most of her temporaries. In which monarchy the royal family dives for hours into a human crowd of thousands and thousands to celebrate the King's birthday? have never seen Élisabeth, Ingrid Alexandra or Leonor doing that. This event is broadcast for hours on all channels. Not alike ribbon-cutting for one minute.
Thatis 1 Day of the year. The Duchess of Brabant is always present at the National Day celebrations which include a Te Deum and a Miltary Parade later in the day and also in some of the evening celebrations. Ingrid Alexandra and her brother are together with the other members of the Royal family standing for sevral hours on the Palace balcony for National Day every year and she is not yet the heiress like Amalia is and she also had several other small appearances with her parents or grandmother where she held a short speech.

True but King's birthday is more of a fun event, smiling, enjoying games, etc. It's a easy job IMO. But to name the girls you mention in your post, both Elisabeth, Ingrid Alexandra and Leonor already "talked in public", either be for memorial like Elisabeth, or for a ship's christening like IA, or reading the constitution like Leonor. Leonor was also very sheltered from public life, but starting January 2018, it was clear that she would take more serious role, and we saw some progress on that. And Elisabeth and IA have been to several engagements before, even IA guided The Duke and The Duchess of Cambridge to her park. Even Estelle is going on a better path...Sorry, I understand what you meant but I think you can't compare King's Birthday to any of this.

It's indeed hard to compare. It must be very taxing for the princesses to be screamed at by thousands of people and interact with the public (which is very much appreciated by the Dutch, way more than watching parades) for hours on end. I don't think Leonor would be able to handle that at all, all her public occassions have been very sheltered and under close watch by her parents controlling her every move.

The part that they have less experience in is the very formal public events and public speaking. However, I am sure they practice those things in less public settings and I am not sure that something like that needs to be included in the early years.

Luckily it seems that especially Amalia handles public attention very well. In the past they also did several sports related events visiting games and meeting with the athletes. So, I am not tgat worried that she will have a hard time adjusting to the responsibilities that await her. Of course it will be daunting at times but from a young age she seems to have understood what her duty in life will be.

Nonetheless, I would like to see a bit more of the Norwegian approach where Ingrid Alexandra takes on those somewhat formal but still enjoyable official activities at times.

The day that she became The Princess of Orange, Amalia has surprised many with her self-secure and poised handling of events. During the broadcast the viewers could see the princess following all with great attention, often asking her grandmother about the details. Picture: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/7f/92/0c7f92fce08b4c931c972ba0feabe8b1.jpg

Princess Amalia made a good impression. She will be ready for it. No doubt. How else with a grandmother like Beatrix and with her parents?

The queen baptized a boat that was named after her eldest daughter yesterday. It would have been a good occasion for Amalia to have joined. It is an easy function, would only take an hour or so and she just needed to smile and throw a bottle. But apparently not.

I understand why they want to protect their children. But they seem to do it to the point of complete seclusion from the public, with the exception of one day in the year. No other RF is as restrictive. Even the Reformatorisch Dagblad (!) recently wrote an article with the headline: ''Birthday girl Amalia barely known by the public'. And as newspapers go they don't come more 'Orangist' than the RD.

In 3 years she will be receiving 1.495.000 Euros a year from the Dutch taxpayer. Although parliament had a discussion about it 2 years ago I am sure it will pop up in 2021 or before. Why does a student who has no public engagements need so much money? I don't think it is likely that her activities will significantly increase immediately after her 18th birthday, save her attendance of Prinsjesdag and an introduction to the counsel of state.
It was a normal schoolday for everyone yesterday. The holidays don't start until next Saturday. So it is not surprising that Amalia was not at the baptism of the boat. School before everything else.

Imo they look the most mature of their generation of royal teens; i would have liked at least P.Amalia would undertake some royal appearances now and then like in other european monarchies (other than the annual photoshoot and King's day appearance) but i don't think it will happen, the parents seem adamant to keep them out of the limelight.

Ofcourse they are still teens/kids, but teens with a priviliged upbringing and paved-way future (again, at least P.Amalia) so a comparison with "regular kids" is not apprpriate jmo

just my 2 cts ofcourse, and i could get this when the where aged under 10, but by now imo it wouldn't be amiss to change this attitude a little, because if the photos show one thing it's that they are not kids anymore and clearly don't want to be :flowers:

I agree. Even heirs such as Princess Leonor (who also seems to have a rather introverted personality) who had always been more sheltered from their regal responsibilities are now starting to undertake more public engagements. By now I would have expected Amalia to appear on an engagement for herself (but with her parents of course) officially at least once or twice. In regards to school; if Amalia is taken out once or twice for an engagement it wouldn't be too much of an issue IMO outside of exam season. Leonor and her sister Sofia in Spain have been taken out of school has they have performed engagements during the week in term time before. (The school knows where they are as it will be all over the local and international news and I'm sure that "serving the country" is a good enough excuse for a day off school!) Engagements could also be seen as educational as the heirs are learning about their country, society and their future role.

I agree. Even heirs such as Princess Leonor (who also seems to have a rather introverted personality) who had always been more sheltered from their regal responsibilities are now starting to undertake more public engagements. By now I would have expected Amalia to appear on an engagement for herself (but with her parents of course) officially at least once or twice. In regards to school; if Amalia is taken out once or twice for an engagement it wouldn't be too much of an issue IMO outside of exam season. Leonor and her sister Sofia in Spain have been taken out of school has they have performed engagements during the week in term time before. (The school knows where they are as it will be all over the local and international news and I'm sure that "serving the country" is a good enough excuse for a day off school!) Engagements could also be seen as educational as the heirs are learning about their country, society and their future role.

The two weeks for Christmas, Easter and Summer are known as "proefwerkweken" (midterm exam weeks). Princess Amalia is no exception. Two weeks ago Queen Máxima said that Amalia would celebrate her birthday (Dec 7th) but that she was studying hard for her exams.

As Princess of Orange of course she is in the public eye. Poor results with as a consequence that she has to repeat a year must be avoided, otherwise she carries a "not so bright light" aura for the rest of her life. That is more important that cutting a ribbon, maybe that was her parents' consideration.

Last edited:
Wonder if Maxima would like her daughter to have the typical 15 birthday party that it is in Argentina?????

I wouldn't have amazed me; after all, her daughters are half-Argentinians.

Now I'm curious!

How do the Argentinians celebrate the 15th B-day?

I don't think the school's director or the attendance officer agrees that missing class to do some engagements is acceptable. The royal family did receive some criticism for taking them out of school for example to attend the Olympic Games when they were much younger. That was not appreciated by the general public. So, I'd say that any public appearances should be done during school breaks.

Normally the family visits Argentina every other year for Christmas. The last time was 2016, so if she will have a quinceañera it would most likely be one during the Christmas holiday in Argentina...

Well, when the dutch RF is ready for P.Amalia to undertake an official event and they choose an invitation for a "ribbon cutting" or "boat christening" or whatever, i'm sure the organizers of the event will happily move it to a more convenient day of the week ;)

But i don't expect it to happen before she is 18... however if they prove me wrong i'll be the first to admit it ;)

Now I'm curious!

How do the Argentinians celebrate the 15th B-day?
Wikipedia tells you more Central American customs not Argentinean.
In Argentina it is a big deal the 15 Birthday party and we do not really call Quincianera as Wikipedia said, "Fiesta de 15 " "15 Party". It is a hole big event like a wedding, the girls dress in White , invite all her friends from school and family , everybody is in gala dresses , you have the first dance waltz with your father and the cake has ribbons, the one who get the ring in the ribbon it will be the first one to marry , the only girls that can pull the ribbon from the cake is all single girls, from 15 to 50 if you are single!
Also it is always shows in between the great food, dancing, souvenirs, even you get a lot of Cotillion for some dances, it is a lot of fun, start late at 9 pm and goes to 6 am, with a lot of food, music and drinks!

In my days it was strictly white dresses but today I think the girls choose other colours, Also it all depends in the financially of the family and what the girls want , my nice choose a trip to Disneyland, in my case, my father was dead and my mother could not afford a party like that, though my godfather (my father's father) always told me he would pay for the party he didn't do it , he did a lunch at his house , and my mother bought the cake and he gave me a new pair of skates which I need it , thought I wanted really the big party!. In the case of Amalia that money is not a problem she could have a party in Argentina with her Argentinean family. I think when you do not live close to your family it is a good excuse and opportunity to get all the family together. As I couldn't travel for my daughter's 15 , instead we did her 16 Birthday party in Argentina together with Her Konfirmation in the Danish Church, as the Church service was in the morning we had a lunch party in the Danish Embassy with all the family. It is important to get the kids together with cousins and family , a great excuse so I hope Maxima does one for each of her girls in Argentina.

Thanks, Ashelen. :flowers:

A big day indeed!
And I agree, it good occasion for the Argentinian branch of the family to gather.

I imagine that in significance this can be compared to what prom night is for American teenage girls?

A big day indeed!
And I agree, it good occasion for the Argentinian branch of the family to gather.

I imagine that in significance this can be compared to what prom night is for American teenage girls?
No The Prom is with school friends and parents only spend money in the dress.
When you live in other country I think it is important to find events to get together and it is up o the adults that cousins get alone , I am sure they have cousins in Argentina and it will be a great excuse to celebrate.
In my case my daughter wanted her only grandparent alive , my mother 93 in her Konfirmation, so It was extra special for her, and us adults we built memories for our kids, so I can Imagine how important would be for Maxima to have her girls celebrating their Birthday in Argentina.
I wanted to download some photos but for some reason erased my writing so I will try in other porst

A big day indeed!

No, the best American comparison would be a Sweet 16 party which used to be a bigger deal than it seems to be nowadays. Turning 16 is still something special for a lot of American girls but it's not anywhere on the level of a quinceanera/15th birthday celebration like you have in many Latin American cultures.

The Quinceanera business is booming here in the States, since we have lots of immigrants from Mexico and Central America. There are stores in many towns that sell dresses ($600-$1000) and party planners that specialize in these events.

Thanks Ashelen & Sunnystar. :flowers:

Curiosity makes me wanna ask: How about the boys?
Anything equivalent to quinceanera or sweet 16?

To me it looks a bit like it originated as a combination of coming of age party and our daughter is now ready to marry party.

Thanks Ashelen & Sunnystar. :flowers:

Curiosity makes me wanna ask: How about the boys?
Anything equivalent to quinceanera or sweet 16?

To me it looks a bit like it originated as a combination of coming of age party and our daughter is now ready to marry party.
Nothing for boys! and yes I guess it is like you said our daughter is ready to marry, I know that in Argentina before I think may be in the 40s it was not a customs girls going to high school, they have to learn to cook and embroidery. I know a great Aunt who was actually Danish it was the first woman in Argentina to finish University, I think it was an scandal in those days :lol:?
I wonder if Maxima's mother did High School, by her age I would asume no, Unless she was from a very rich family.
Sorry I still can not post the photos I am not sure why

This thread has been closed. You can find the new thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom