The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima, Current Events 5 (August 2005 - Feb 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a pleasure Marengo, I like Maxima and today she is very elegant and lovely :eek:

Marengo said:
Thanks for the pictures Adry! I think Queen Wilhelmina will be turning around in her grave when she sees these pictures ;) BTW, the necklace Maxima is wearing resembles one worn by Laurentien, in 2005.

haha yess wilhelmina really would hate the visit and máxima's clothes, so catholic

yeah, the veil is a bit to much for me as well, as even catholics here are not wearing them anymore. It looks nice on her though! I actually expected her to change religion after her first child was born, but now I think she will stay catholic.

We know the old saying: 'twee geloven op een kussen, daar slaapt de duivel tussen' ;) (two religions on one pillow, the devil sleeps in between).

Did Queen Wilhelmina not like Catholics?

Its funny to see the Dutch Princess so "catholic dressed" with a veil when the Spanish royal women always go barehead to Church.

Maybe she used the veil to cover her straight out of bed hair:cool:

One of my own pictures

Attachments

• foto1 007.JPG
    foto1 007.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 227
To me the gala dress was a little too much and now the veil is too much again. She may need someone to advise her better. For me being raised as catholic and having attended all my life catholic schools, I found that she shouldn't be wearing a veil in a country mostly non catholic and which she represents. Besides that is so OLD FASHIONED! Please Maxima!

Larzen said:
Did Queen Wilhelmina not like Catholics?

Its funny to see the Dutch Princess so "catholic dressed" with a veil when the Spanish royal women always go barehead to Church.

Maybe she used the veil to cover her straight out of bed hair:cool:

Let's say that traditionally the house of Orange was seen as the champions of european protestantism, and Wilhelmina was very much aware of that. She didn't dislike catholics perse, but I think that she would be shocked to see so many catholics in the family, in fact, most people lying in 'Delft' would be.

I remember reading that the daughter of King Willem III, Grand Duchess Sophie of Saxe-Weimar financed the restoration of a catholic church in Weimar. She was very curious about this and went their in her carriage. When they arrived she ordered her lady-in-waiting to check the place out, as a member of the house of Orange can not enter a catholic church ;)

I love the veiled Maxima! Beautiful!

Maybe I'm reading too much into a little piece of lace, but perhaps she is trying to make a subtle point about religious toleration.

I must say that I, too, agree that she went overboard. Very rarely do Catholics, especially younger ones, wear veils. It's not even done in Catholic Latin America! I do like her, most of the time, however she's seems to be trying too hard. Just my opinion.

If she want to wear a veil to the church, we have to respect that I think. It is her personal choice.:)

Last edited:
i don't think she used the veil because of her "catholic-ness". after all, she is now protestant. i think it was more a fashionable thing, and of course, she wouldn't wear it to any other meeting, but a church, as it's the most appropiate place.

after all, it's not the first time we see her wearing a veil. when she attended another catholic mass in remembrance of the pope, she wore it, and the same happened when she went to turkey. i think it has to do with politeness as they are all rituals she doesn't follow.

i also must say i loved the veil on maxima. looked so spanish... may it be a manton de manila? :)

carlota said:
i don't think she used the veil because of her "catholic-ness". after all, she is now protestant.

not true, she never converted and still is a catholic!

I don't think she is now a Protestant, is she? I thought she remained a Catholic on her marriage but agreed that all her children would be raised as Protestants. I wonder if she wore the veil because it is proper royal "protocol" or etiquette -- any ideas on that?

I like the veil very old world and nice. It is proper ettiquette and I think it is nice and you have to respect that she wore one. It is not overboard it is a personal choice. But I must ask, Is she wearing a black veil because she is a protestant meeting a high catholic official or because she is a catholic observing the traditional rules.

Maxima is still catholic.

She had a very catholic education. From BRMB some more information (posted by henri m.):
[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]Already as a toddler she was brought to the Institut Mallinckrodt, lead by German nuns and raised in the Catholic tradition. Her secundary education was at Northlands College, in all a British college, except for the Roman Catholic teachings. She studied at the Pontifica Universidad Catolica Santa María de los Buenos Aires. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Going to a catholic school with nuns doesn't necessarily mean you're a devote catholic. In many countries these schools are above all the better, more expensive schools with a good name.

We have reached more than 10 pages, so its time to close this thread. The new thread can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom