The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 AM
Aristocracy

I hope she is pregnant again! It would be nice to see a little brother or sister for Princess Catherina-Amalia! Could someone translate the article please if they have time?

Old 12-20-2004, 04:14 AM
Aristocracy

From the BRMB
Willem-Alexander and Máxima angry

By one of our reporters

Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima have cancelled a meeting with journalists which was scheduled for tomorrow, after the article in 'De Telegraaf' that Princess Máxima is in expectation again. The couple is annoyed on the newspaper and does not want any furtherer questions about a pregnancy.

Tomorrow Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima would have had a meeting with the club of Royal House-reporters. During an earlier meeting in June 2003, the Princess herself made known that she was in expectation. Premature publication is a sensitive topic for the couple because the first pregnancy of Princess Máxima did not went without problems. Due to a compliations the Princess was forced to stay in bed for weeks. And besides this all, the royal family is still in the mouring period for Prince Bernhard.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:53 AM
Courtier

A other newspaper the 'Volkskrant' writes also that Maxima is pregnant, it seems they have their own sources. The 'Volkskrant' is a very very reliable source. So it seems Maxima is really pregnant, only not yet 13 weeks. The 'Volkskrant' writes that the second baby will arrive before July 2005. If everything goes well, Princess Margriet will have 5 grandchildren next year: Anna, Lucas, Isabella, Samuel and a baby of Marilene (begin June). And for Queen Beatrix also 5 grandchildren: Catharina-Amalia, Eloise, Claus-Casimir, the first baby for Mabel (April) and the second baby for Maxima (June).
Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Courtier

I have to say that can understand WA and Maxima´s reaction but on the other hand I think that it is only human. When people hear that there will be a press conference or a meeting with the press and they usually start thinking about what could be the reason for it.
I must admit that I also thought it might be a second pregnancy when I heard about the press conference because it was like the first pregnancy. But now it seems as it is a regular press meeting...
Old 12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
A other newspaper the 'Volkskrant' writes also that Maxima is pregnant, it seems they have their own sources. The 'Volkskrant' is a very very reliable source. So it seems Maxima is really pregnant, only not yet 13 weeks. The 'Volkskrant' writes that the second baby will arrive before July 2005. If everything goes well, Princess Margriet will have 5 grandchildren next year: Anna, Lucas, Isabella, Samuel and a baby of Marilene (begin June). And for Queen Beatrix also 5 grandchildren: Catharina-Amalia, Eloise, Claus-Casimir, the first baby for Mabel (April) and the second baby for Maxima (June).
better source than the radio........
as I read in the newspapers this morning the rvd reacted to all questions of the press with "no comment".
Old 12-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Courtier

I think the whole fiasco is an overreaction on both sides. Overreaction by the media from the announcement of a press conference and overreaction from Maxima for cancelling the whole thing. I understand that the press can be tenacious when they catch wind of certain information, but it's not as if it's a bad type of information. News of a pregnancy is a happy occassion, that's why people want to know if someone is expecting. The impression I got from Maxima's reaction was that she cancelled the meeting with the media because they stole her thunder about surprising everyone with the news, if in fact it was a confirmation of a pregnancy. If she isn't pregnant, she shouldn't have cancelled the meeting and denied it outright.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
The impression I got from Maxima's reaction was that she cancelled the meeting with the media because they stole her thunder about surprising everyone with the news, if in fact it was a confirmation of a pregnancy. If she isn't pregnant, she shouldn't have cancelled the meeting and denied it outright.
I wonder why they gave such advance notice for the press conference though?

They (or the RVD) had to have been experienced to know that such speculation would run rampant the minute they announced a formal press conference with Willem and Maxima, and given that the last time they announced such a press conference it was to announce the first pregnancy, even more so.

For heaven's sake, there was already a lot of speculation before any hint of a press conference with all the rumours of Maxima being pregnant.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:12 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I wonder why they gave such advance notice for the press conference though?

They (or the RVD) had to have been experienced to know that such speculation would run rampant the minute they announced a formal press conference with Willem and Maxima, and given that the last time they announced such a press conference it was to announce the first pregnancy, even more so.

For heaven's sake, there was already a lot of speculation before any hint of a press conference with all the rumours of Maxima being pregnant.
They might have been caught in the very difficult position of being in the early stages of a pregnancy, in which case they didn't want to deny it as the truth nor confirm a very new pregnancy which hasn't passed the 3 month mark.

Another angle to consider - they are actually trying to fall pregnant and maybe having difficulties and this sort of speculation and comment is incredibly difficult to deal with under those circumstances. cancelling the conference and saying "no comment" might have been the only way they could deal with it.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:40 AM
Aristocracy

It just seems to me like this couple whines about the press a lot, even for famous people. Now, I understand that yes, it must be very annoying to be constantly in the spotlight, but W-A and Maxima always seem to take it too far. It isn't like Maxima's the only one in the world who has the media gossip about her. This week she's the pregnant one, next week it'll probably be Mary, then Letizia and so on...Why don't they just do like those couples and ignore it? Didn't they sue a newspaper or something like that a few months ago? I, for one, have lost a lot of respect for this couple because of their attitudes.
"At times....I think that if you lifted my heart to your ear, you could hear the ocean. Yet sometimes, when the wind is warm or the crickets sing...I dream of a love for which even time will lie down and be still."
Old 12-21-2004, 03:41 AM
Courtier

In general, I think royal families, especially W-A and Maxima, and Caroline and Ernst August are all litigation-happy. They are wasting so much money on things that aren't even true.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
They are wasting so much money on things that aren't even true.
What do you mean?
Old 12-21-2004, 04:50 AM
Nobility

If she is pregnant i wish her all the best and if she isnt i wish she does get soon.

I think i would of cancelled the press confrenece too if i was in their place, it must be annoying of everything that has been said and very upsetting.If she was pregnant i think they were going to announce it together.But i also think that the press confrence was given much way to early.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Commoner

Question Is Maxima pregnant again, or not?

What do you think?
I heard that some newspapers have written about her second pregnancy already. But how could they get this information?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Aristocracy

It is not announced pcy the Dutch Royal House

Quote:
Originally Posted by King's Mistress
What do you think?
I heard that some newspapers have written about her second pregnancy already. But how could they get this information?
So we can not say itis true. Maybe some employees of the hospital told the Journalists, or some " friends" may have spoken toomuch... Who knows?
Any way I would wait for the official anouncement.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Aristocracy

article from expatica:

Maxima reacts angrily to
second pregnancy claims

20 December 2004

AMSTERDAM — Princess Maxima and her husband, Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, have reacted angrily to a newspaper claim that she is pregnant with their second child. The couple has cancelled media interviews planned for later this week.

Newspaper De Telegraaf reported on Sunday that Maxima was pregnant again and due to give birth next summer. The Government information Service (RVD) has refused to confirm the report.

The child will be third in line to the Dutch throne, after Prince Willem-Alexander. His and Maxima's first child, Princess Amalia, was born in The Hague on 7 December 2003.

Besides the pregnancy of Princess Maxima, the royal family is also awaiting the first child of Prince Johan Friso and Princess Mabel, due next spring. The two births next year will bring the number of Queen Beatrix's grandchildren to five.

Sources told newspaper De Volkskrant that the births will be a welcome relief to the royal family, which has had to cope with three deaths in the past two years. Beatrix's husband Prince Claus died in October 2002, while her parents Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard died in March and December this year respectively.

Meanwhile, the Telegraaf claimed royal sources have confirmed Maxima's pregnancy, but the reports have not been officially verified. The Argentinean-born Maxima is reportedly still in her early stages of pregnancy.

It is being speculated that the pregnancy has not yet reached the critical stage of three months. This would explain why the RVD has refused to confirm the report.

Besides telling family and close friends, expecting parents often announce they are pregnant when they are at least three months into the pregnancy. They are then passed the most dangerous period in terms of miscarriage.

Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima have reacted angrily to Sunday's report, cancelling a meeting with journalists set for Tuesday. The royal couple is angry at De Telegraaf and is not prepared to answer questions about the alleged pregnancy.

Willem-Alexander and Maxima were scheduled to meet with members of the royal family reporters association. The couple announced they were pregnant with their first child during a similar meeting last year.

Media reports about Maxima's pregnancy are highly sensitive; due to the fact her first pregnancy was difficult, forcing her to spend weeks on end in bed. The royal family is also in mourning for the death of Prince Bernhard, newspaper Algemeen Dagblad noted on Monday.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

I'm going to assume that she is pregnant since they did not deny the pregnancy and only cancelled press confrences. I think that that's a sure sign that they did not want to lie to the people by denying otherwise they would be forever deemed untrustworthy.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Nobility

can someone clarify whether it was an official press conference after all?? i am confused. the above statements hint that it was indeed an official press conference rather than the more unofficial casual meeting with press-representatives to give updates etc.

thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by karolinabraganza
can someone clarify whether it was an official press conference after all?? i am confused. the above statements hint that it was indeed an official press conference rather than the more unofficial casual meeting with press-representatives to give updates etc.

thanks in advance
To make it clear, here is a message from hja of the Benelux Royals MB. Hja is journalist and was invited for that meeting.

-------------------------------------
Message from hja (date: 19/12/2004, 11:58:40)

There is NO press conference on Tuesday in spite of what Marc van der Linden (TW: gossip journalist) and his cronies say. There is no official announcement; at least as of this afternoon nothing was planned.

Once in a while the princely couple meets with the press - that is not the same as a press conference, where notes can be taken and questions asked with the purpose of publishing - for an informal, off the record get together, to "babbelen" about work etc. The gossip press is not invited, and tries to sabotage these meetings; by publishing them and saying that they are press conferences (where they would be welcome..)

And if you say early enough sehe is pregnant you might be right one day...

The couple is not happy about the publicity; it is not everyday Maxima finds out in the newspaper that she is supposed to be pregnant. Just remember Marc van der Linden had her pregnant for over 2 years last time.... It doesn't mean though it could not be true ;-)
The family mourning period would not prevent an announcement the RVD said this morning.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
How upsetting to her in this period as well. This is not good. I hope she will get better. And the same thing for WA as well. But I like the ideas of these little informal meetings especially since a good number of Maxima´s duties are not announced ahead of time if I remember correctly. So an informal meeting is good for "connection" reasons. Have to keep the press informed, at least a little bit, or else they´ll turn on you. :)
Old 12-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenanne
It just seems to me like this couple whines about the press a lot, even for famous people. Now, I understand that yes, it must be very annoying to be constantly in the spotlight, but W-A and Maxima always seem to take it too far. It isn't like Maxima's the only one in the world who has the media gossip about her. This week she's the pregnant one, next week it'll probably be Mary, then Letizia and so on...Why don't they just do like those couples and ignore it? Didn't they sue a newspaper or something like that a few months ago? I, for one, have lost a lot of respect for this couple because of their attitudes.
They do seem to overreact to the press a bit. I mean, Infanta Cristina hadn't hit three months yet, but she confirmed her pregnancy when the rumour mill got to the "acknowledge or deny" stage. I don't know, sometimes I really really like Maxima, but sometimes she just seems like a spoiled rich daddy's girl. This seems like a bit of a temper tantrum. But tomorrow perhaps she'll do something quite charming and I'll think her delightful all over again.

Closed Thread