Queen Beatrix, Current Events 3 (June 2006 - May 2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beatrix looked great! The hat is nice and so is the jacket (even if there's fur... It looks elegant on her)

Constitutional problems for the Queen?

Since the general elections of 22 November, the present Dutch Cabinet is demissionair (= without royal mission: outgoing). The formation of a new Cabinet is under way and will take some time. In the meantime Queen Beatrix has taken the resignation letters of the ministers from the outgoing Cabinet 'into consideration' and requested them to remain on their posts and 'to do all what is in the best interests of the State'.

In the newly elected Second Chamber (Lower House) there is a very small majority (75 vs 74 seats) who wants to see a general pardon to be granted for all asylumseekers who have requested for asylum before 2001. The Cabinet is against such a general pardon (which is about 26000 - 35000 people). The Cabinet finds that every individual request for an asylum in the Netherlands should be investigated on its own merites.

In two motions, both with a majority of 75 vs 74, the newly elected Second Chamber asked the Government for a moratorium ('to freeze') all the exit-procedures of asylumseekers who have to leave the country. Mrs. Rita Verdonk, the Dutch minister of Integration and Immigration refused to follow the wish of the Chamber. As a consequence last night the Second Chamber voted for a so-called 'Motion of Disapproval' against her. If she decides to resign, the fear is that the other ministers will resign too. But can she resign? She already is demissionair, outgoing? The other ministers have warned that they will declare themselves solidair with mrs. Verdonk.

According to experts on the constitution, this is an unique situation. Some experts say the Cabinet can not resign because this would mean there is no Cabinet and then there is also no minister who takes the actions of the Queen for his ministerial responsibility. In the meantime the Queen is also entangled in the formation of a new Cabinet between parties who are very unwilling.

This is without any doubt, politically, the most complication situation Queen Beatrix ever has experienced.

Last edited:
I'm sure Her Majesty will be able to cope. She has a wealth of experience, a deep knowledge of politics and she knows people. I've no doubt that Queen Beatrix will see the Netherlands through.

lucien said:
Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ,Amsterdam,december 13th.

HM The Queen accompanied by TRH Princess Máxima,Prince Constantijn,Prince Friso,Princess Laurentien and Princess Mabel will attend the handout of the Principal Prince Claus Award by HRH Prince Friso (honorary co-chair of the Prince Claus Fund with his brother Constantijn)to grafic designer Reza Abedini from Iran.

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=17108

Prince Claus Fund:

http://www.princeclausfund.org/en/index.html

HM and TRH,Amsterdam today:

Courtesy PPE.
http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=13-12-2006%20Prince%20Claus

Wow

Wow for The Queen, Laurentien and Mabel. They did look very good.

Cabinet remains

BeatrixFan said:
I'm sure Her Majesty will be able to cope. She has a wealth of experience, a deep knowledge of politics and she knows people. I've no doubt that Queen Beatrix will see the Netherlands through.

The newly elected Second Chamber, with a small majority of 75 vs 74 requested the Cabinet for a moratorium (a 'freeze') on the forced exit of asylumseekers who were denied asylum, preluding on a possible coming 'general pardon' for a whole group of asylumseekers.

The Cabinet is absolutely against such a 'general pardon', but the ministers from CDA (christian-democrats) are willing to find a compromise, like a temporarily moratorium for a more limited group of asylumseekers. The ministers from coalition partner VVD (conservative liberals) do not agree with this and wanted to request Her Majesty to effectuate their resignations (which were already offered to the Queen but held 'in consideration' by her).

This would mean that only a handful of ministers from CDA (christian-democrats) would remain on their posts as long as there is no new Government. The Premier urged the ministers from VVD (conservative liberals) not to request Her Majesty for an immediate effectuation of their offered resignations and to remain on their posts, all this to prevent a constitutional chaos (departments for months without a minister).

Last edited:
Wow!
All of these Royal ladies looked beautiful! Loved Maxima's, Laurentien's and the Queens coats. Loved Mable's hair.

The exhibition seems interesting but somehow I do not like the idea that the have built some sort of mosque inside a (former) church. HM looks very majestic and statuesque.

According to 'Telegraaf' various Aruban associations for businesses sent a letter to HM The Queen with a request to help them in the present financial mess on the island. They are urging for the resignation of the present Prime Minister who let the islands debt rise up to 800 million euros and who did not publish an account of the islands finances since 1996. The business owners hope that the Queen will be able to influence the Dutch prime minister and/or the secretary of kingdom relations. According to the newspaper HM received simular requests when she visited the island and she critisized the Aruban goverment in private.

Marengo said:
The exhibition seems interesting but somehow I do not like the idea that the have built some sort of mosque inside a (former) church. HM looks very majestic and statuesque.

It rather "resembles" an Ottoman Palace,should go visit it tho.:)

this year will be have a family photo like the last year?

The light of Christmas

In the GPD (Joint Press Services) newspapers the 26 previous Christmas Addresses by Queen Beatrix were analyzed: in most of these Addresses, Her Majesty used the metaphor of the light. The Queen's Christmass Adresses are personal and almost the only one address in which she can show her personal opinion. A constante through all the years is the Queen's deep religiosity and sombre view on the world.

1980:
Christ is the light that shines in the darkness

1981:
Christmas is the feast of the light

Christmas is the feast of the light

A new light has been brought into the world

There is joy for the light

Light that breaks through

Light in a darkened world

In the darkness there is the light of Christmas

Light in a world darkened by human egoïsm and imperiousness

Beams of light in the darkness

The light of Christ in a dark world

The light of Christmas in the darkness of fear, discomfort and superficiality

Light amidst the deepest darkness of human cruelty and barbary

God's light in the darkness

Light shines in the darkness of our world

Light in the darkness of human fear, despair and disappointment

Light in a world of darkness

Light that breaks through in the darkness of the human existence

With Christmas a beam of light breaks through the clouds

Light that breaks through in the darkness of the human existence

Through all the centuries, the light of Christmas breaks the gloominess of life

Through all the centuries, the light of Christmas breaks the gloominess of life

The feast of light in times darkened

The feast of the light that breaks through in a sombre world

no reference to the light

Christmas is the feast of the birth of the Child, which gives hope and makes the light beaming in a dark world

A picture (from the TV) of the Queen addressing the nation (2005).

Last edited:
Video on Christmas at the House of Orange-Nassau

A nice video showing the magnificent Christmas decorations at the Royal Palace Het Loo in Apeldoorn, in the east of the Netherlands.

Click on this link, click on open in the mediaspeler, choose your mediaplayer and your connection (small- or broadband).

On 22 minutes you will be shown the interior of the litte private family-chapel at Het Loo and the wonderful decorations. Also a princess Beatrix in a christmas play!

Enjoy!!!

:flowers:

Last edited:
I must confess I had to look Woudrichem up on a map, I have never heard of that place before.
A pity Maxima won't be attending though. But as the births usuaslly were two weeks before the given date let's hope she will have a month to recover and will be able to attend the festivities.

Though I can understand why they are not taking the small Princesses, Count and Countesses I think they would enjoy themselves more in the children-games the now around 40 y/o members of the RF are performing in.

Marengo said:
I must confess I had to look Woudrichem up on a map, I have never heard of that place before.

Slot Loevesteyn rings a bell I'm sure,it close to Woudrichem,opposite from Gorinchem/Gorkum.
:flowers:

11-01-2007 Paris Queen Beatrix attended the 50 year celebration of the Institut Neerlandais, the Dutch cultural centre, in Paris.
The Queen visited the exhibition ''Rembrandt et les femmes''.

PPE Pictures

The Queen looks very glamorous indeed. I love her fur. Very chic.

Thanks Her Majesty, the Queen looks very royal, with the hat and the furs.
I just wish she would stop using those pearls, I see them in the shop window of Bonebakker jewellers in Amsterdam almost every day so they aren't that special to me (though i assume she bought them at Bonebakker, The Hague).

I used to have a pic of Queen Beatrix meeting Miep Gies and Hannah Pick Goslar but I've lost it. Has anyone got it at all? Thanks!

18-01-2007
Peace Palace Queen Beatrix has brought the new wing of the Peace Palace in The Hague into use.
The new wing provides accommodation for the Hague Academy of the International Rights of the library of the Peace Palace.
PPE Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom