The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Whether or not he said this for his own political gain, I totally agree with this.

I've said it before, but the way she stepped up to the plate and showed real leadership, acting as a real unifiying force when various social groups in her country were on the verge of escalating their hatred for one another, SHE actually prevented that!!

By stepping up immediately, visiting various groups and instigating & propagating dialogue right after the murder of filmmaker Theo van Gogh. I don't know honestly whether this was a cleverly thought-out move by her PR advisers, or even the Prime Minister, but it doesn't matter: whatever she did, it was supereffective. I'm serious: without her taking that step, the country could have descended into a very nasty situation.

It didn't, and the kudo's for that go to this intelligent queen. I have refrained before to comparing her in this regard with other monarchs, but I will do it now, why not: the way Margarethe of Denmark threw oil on the fire during the scandal with the Mohammed cartoons a while back, she actually helped <escalate> the problem, a divider of faiths and nations that cost Danish society millions of euros. Instead of being unifying, Margarethe acted in a polarizing way. If I ever admired that queen, no longer. What an idiot she was to do this!

Compare that to Beatrix: the picture of intelligence versus idiocy, in my opinion. Beatrix showed what a <real> monarch is about: showing the way, unifying your people. That's what she did, and does, in her own trademark unassuming, almost <modest> way. No wonder Nelson Mandela holds her in such high esteem.
As for me, I was already a fan, but since that incident with the van Gogh murder, my admiration for this woman is pretty endless.
I agree completely with you Olga, and I must add that what the Queen did was mostly against the general public opinion (she was critisized for it). So she put her neck out & showed how a monarch can show moral leadership IMO.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It didn't, and the kudo's for that go to this intelligent queen. I have refrained before to comparing her in this regard with other monarchs, but I will do it now, why not: the way Margarethe of Denmark threw oil on the fire during the scandal with the Mohammed cartoons a while back, she actually helped <escalate> the problem, a divider of faiths and nations that cost Danish society millions of euros. Instead of being unifying, Margarethe acted in a polarizing way. If I ever admired that queen, no longer. What an idiot she was to do this!
I forget now so a refresher would be much appreciated: What did Queen Margrethe do that only worstened the situation in Denmark regarding the cartoons? I just remember the burnings of the Danish flag but I don't remember that that was directly connected to anything said by Margrethe or anyone else, just anger as a result of the cartoons being published, period.

Quote:
Compare that to Beatrix: the picture of intelligence versus idiocy, in my opinion. Beatrix showed what a <real> monarch is about: showing the way, unifying your people. That's what she did, and does, in her own trademark unassuming, almost <modest> way. No wonder Nelson Mandela holds her in such high esteem.
As for me, I was already a fan, but since that incident with the van Gogh murder, my admiration for this woman is pretty endless.
I agree that at this time Beatrix really put her neck on the line, and took a firm stance without shoving it down anyone's throat or gloating in anyone's face, but in a subtle, lead by example manner. And I think that speaks volumes about the kind of leader she is and the kind of respect that she is given is well deserved from leaders around the world.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I forget now so a refresher would be much appreciated: What did Queen Margrethe do that only worstened the situation in Denmark regarding the cartoons? I just remember the burnings of the Danish flag but I don't remember that that was directly connected to anything said by Margrethe or anyone else, just anger as a result of the cartoons being published, period.
That's a great question, Alexandria, I should have explained. Let me start by going back in time to I think 2003, when the Danish paper Jylland Posten was offered a set of offending cartoons re. Mohammed the moslim profet. That paper, at that time, refused publication and even stated that their reason to do so was because religious people would be offended by these cartoons.

Fast forward to 2005. In April of that year, Queen Margrethe herself wrote an article (or perhaps it was a speech) that was published in the British Telegraph, a large, centre-right British daily. In that article (or speech) she was quoted as saying that "the Danes have to show their opposition to Islam."

Hardly a year later, the infamous cartoons depicting the profet were published in Danish papers and all hell broke loose with large parts of the Moslim world boycotting Danish products costing Danish society billions of euros. The Danish government refused to apologise. And what did Margrethe the monarch? Absolutely nothing. Not a word from this queen. Because of her earlier comments on the moslim faith, people assumed she agreed with the insulting cartoons.

By not saying anything, by not coming out and making the kinds of gestures her colleague Beatrix would have made, Margrethe helped make the situation worse than it otherwise might have been. Instead of being a unifying force, as Beatrix has turned out to be, Margrethe jumped on the anti-moslim wagon and escalated the fire.

If her brave father, who used to walk through German-occupied Copenhagen with a yellow star on his coat, knew this, he'd be turning in his grave I'm afraid. Bad judgment on Margarethe's side. I know this is off topic, but put this in contrast to how Beatrix has acted, has stepped up to the plate. It isn't difficult to spot the difference, imo.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
I agree completely with you Olga, and I must add that what the Queen did was mostly against the general public opinion (she was critisized for it). So she put her neck out & showed how a monarch can show moral leadership IMO.
That's so true, I forgot about the criticism. Goes to show that Beatrix has her moral compass intact even in the face of criticism. I sometimes wonder how she does it!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That's a great question, Alexandria, I should have explained. Let me start by going back in time to I think 2003, when the Danish paper Jylland Posten was offered a set of offending cartoons re. Mohammed the moslim profet. That paper, at that time, refused publication and even stated that their reason to do so was because religious people would be offended by these cartoons.

Fast forward to 2005. In April of that year, Queen Margrethe herself wrote an article (or perhaps it was a speech) that was published in the British Telegraph, a large, centre-right British daily. In that article (or speech) she was quoted as saying that "the Danes have to show their opposition to Islam."

Hardly a year later, the infamous cartoons depicting the profet were published in Danish papers and all hell broke loose with large parts of the Moslim world boycotting Danish products costing Danish society billions of euros. The Danish government refused to apologise. And what did Margrethe the monarch? Absolutely nothing. Not a word from this queen. Because of her earlier comments on the moslim faith, people assumed she agreed with the insulting cartoons.

By not saying anything, by not coming out and making the kinds of gestures her colleague Beatrix would have made, Margrethe helped make the situation worse than it otherwise might have been. Instead of being a unifying force, as Beatrix has turned out to be, Margrethe jumped on the anti-moslim wagon and escalated the fire.

If her brave father, who used to walk through German-occupied Copenhagen with a yellow star on his coat, knew this, he'd be turning in his grave I'm afraid. Bad judgment on Margarethe's side. I know this is off topic, but put this in contrast to how Beatrix has acted, has stepped up to the plate. It isn't difficult to spot the difference, imo.
Princess Olga, allow me to say that when you make these kinds of statements, the first thing would be to at least try to get your facts right.
Quote:
If her brave father, who used to walk through German-occupied Copenhagen with a yellow star on his coat, knew this, he'd be turning in his grave I'm afraid.
Are you by this wrong reference trying to refer to King Christian X - QMII's grandfather? And he didn't walk - he rode a horse - and many historians by the way say that the story about wearing the yellow star is not true but a subsequent embellishment.
Quote:
In April of that year, Queen Margrethe herself wrote an article (or perhaps it was a speech) that was published in the British Telegraph, a large, centre-right British daily. In that article (or speech) she was quoted as saying that "the Danes have to show their opposition to Islam."
No - she was wrongly translated as having said that! The offensive word here is 'modspil' which has wrongly been translated to 'opposition'; modspil may be the interaction between equally strong parties, it may be response or even opposition but not in a negative way.

And no, she didn't write an article or speech about it (wouldn't it have been great to check something like this out before making claims?)
As to the book by Annelise Bistrup about Queen Margrethe II, excerpts from this book can be found eg. here: http://jeppesn.dk/kongerige/citater-...e-bistrup.html

I disse år udfordres vi af islam. Både globalt og lokalt. Der er noget imponerende ved mennesker, for hvem religioner gennemsyrer tilværelsen fra morgen til aften, fra vugge til grav. Der er også kristne, der har det sådan.
Men det er en udfordring, vi er nødt til at tage alvorligt. Vi har
ganske givet ladet det flagre i alt for lang tid. Fordi vi er
tolerante - og temmelig dovne. Jeg synes virkelig ikke, det er
nemt. Og heller ikke så rart.

My translation:
"In these years we are challenged by islam, globally and locally. There is something impressive about human beings for whom religion pervades their life from morning till night, from cradle to grave. There are Christians who feel the same way"
But it is a challenge we have to take seriously. We have certainly let it blow in the wind for far too long time. Because we are tolerant - and rather lazy. I really do not think it is easy. And not very pleasant either"

Other quotations from the book:
»Der må vises et modspil, og man må en gang imellem løbe den risiko at få en mindre flatterende etiket hæftet på sig. For der er visse ting, man ikke skal være tolerant over for. Når man er tolerant, skal man lige mærke efter, om det er af bekvemmelighed eller overbevisning.«
My translation:"One has to show a response ['modspil'] and sometime one has to run the risk of being labelled something less flattering. Because there are certain things one should not tolerate. When you are tolerant you have to check out whether you are so because of convenience or conviction"

Quote:
And what did Margrethe the monarch? Absolutely nothing. Not a word from this queen. Because of her earlier comments on the moslim faith, people assumed she agreed with the insulting cartoons.
Funny, I would assume that a person making this sort of statement would have at least a figment of knowledge of the monarch's role in Denmark. The monarch in Denmark is non-political - FULL STOP. Had QMII transgressed that the political scene would have had her head on a platter.

Quote:
Utter speculation and nonsense IMO. YOu have no way of knowing what would have happened, had QMII exceeded her powers and interferred in a firehot political matter. Do you know what e.g. QMII and Fogh Rasmussen, who is the Danish Prime Minister' discussed about this?

'jumping on the anti-moslim wagon...' - I really don't know how to respond to a comment of this nature without being extremely offensive - so I won't.

Twisting comments to serve a specific agenda is nothing new. QMII is an active Christian, she believes in the Christian values and she appears proud of them. IMO she is saying that she respects other religions [see translation above] but she reserves herself the right to stand up for her own religion, her own views and she - IMO - does not want to let her own faith take second seat in the name of politeness and political correctness. And that is exactly how a queen and prominent member of the Christian church should react.

----
Admins, sorry for taking up this much space about a Danish issue in a Dutch thread; but had to react to a post so filled with misinformation.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:03 AM
Administrator

For now this slighty OT-part is not a problem, but it is best to stop the discussion on Queen Marrethe II here. If any future poster feels the urge to react to the posts above, we request them to take the discussion to the Danish forum.

Marengo
Dutch forum moderator
Old 10-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Audience with Peter Harry Carstensen

from anp

Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Aristocracy

Do you recognise the photo behind the queen? I think it is a picture of John F. Kennedy, isn't it?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, anirac it is a picture of John F Kennedy
Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I noticed the same thing when I enlarged the picture. And since it says the Queen gave an audience, is it to be thought that this is the Queen's private office we are seeing in the photo?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Aristocracy

It is her privat bureau at noordeinde. I once saw it on TV. She has a lot of private photos at her bureau. A big photo of her husband has a very prominent place at her desk.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane

No - she was wrongly translated as having said that! The offensive word here is 'modspil' which has wrongly been translated to 'opposition'; modspil may be the interaction between equally strong parties, it may be response or even opposition but not in a negative way.

And no, she didn't write an article or speech about it (wouldn't it have been great to check something like this out before making claims?)
As to the book by Annelise Bistrup about Queen Margrethe II, excerpts from this book can be found eg. here: http://jeppesn.dk/kongerige/citater-...e-bistrup.html

I disse år udfordres vi af islam. Både globalt og lokalt. Der er noget imponerende ved mennesker, for hvem religioner gennemsyrer tilværelsen fra morgen til aften, fra vugge til grav. Der er også kristne, der har det sådan.
Men det er en udfordring, vi er nødt til at tage alvorligt. Vi har
ganske givet ladet det flagre i alt for lang tid. Fordi vi er
tolerante - og temmelig dovne. Jeg synes virkelig ikke, det er
nemt. Og heller ikke så rart.

My translation:
"In these years we are challenged by islam, globally and locally. There is something impressive about human beings for whom religion pervades their life from morning till night, from cradle to grave. There are Christians who feel the same way"
But it is a challenge we have to take seriously. We have certainly let it blow in the wind for far too long time. Because we are tolerant - and rather lazy. I really do not think it is easy. And not very pleasant either"

My translation:"One has to show a response ['modspil'] and sometime one has to run the risk of being labelled something less flattering. Because there are certain things one should not tolerate. When you are tolerant you have to check out whether you are so because of convenience or conviction"

Funny, I would assume that a person making this sort of statement would have at least a figment of knowledge of the monarch's role in Denmark. The monarch in Denmark is non-political - FULL STOP.

[..]. And that is exactly how a queen and prominent member of the Christian church should react.

----
Admins, sorry for taking up this much space about a Danish issue in a Dutch thread; but had to react to a post so filled with misinformation.
I will refrain from commenting on this since it's off topic indeed, except for this: for a queen who, according to your explanation, is so totally A-political, isn't it a bit, well, peculiar that Margrethe would go out of her way to singling out a religion that is n't hers and commenting on how certain things within it shouldn't be tolerated? If she is so non partisan and above all politics, she shouldn't defend Christianity with such a vengance I think. That she commented the way she did about islam, as a non-political monarch no less, singling them out and pointing out how some things within that religion shouldn't be tolerated, is quite insulting and dividing and thus something that Queen Beatrix would never <ever> do. Not in this way, not on your life, or mine. That's why I'm standing by my earlier comments, that's why I admire Beatrix more than Margrethe.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

21-10-2006 The Hague Queen Beatrix has opened the 'Jantje Beton Sprankelplek' in The Hague.
(c) PPE/a v/d werf

for more, please go here : http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?z...%20The%20Hague
Old 10-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Courtier

Thanks for the pictures! I like her hat! She's really elegant!
Old 10-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Aristocracy

I think Queen Beatrix looks happier when she is with children.Thanks for the pictures
Old 10-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

I love this picture http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6102105nv4.jpg

Old 10-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

26-10-2006 Amsterdam Queen Beatrix at the special Synagogue service in Amsterdam at the occasion of 75 year Union of Liberal-Religious Jews in the Netherlands

from ppe

Old 10-27-2006, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Good to see HM again, especially at such a function.

I recently saw an almost simular multi-coloured pearl necklace in the shopwindow of jeweler Bonebakker (in Amsterdam), didn't see the price though . I believe Bonebakker The Hague is where the RF get's some jewels (engagementring of Mabel for example), so this one is most probably from their collection as well.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Administrator

This thread has reached 10 pages, time for a new one which can be found here.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread and we hope to see you all in the 6th current events thread of Queen Beatrix.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Queen Beatrix - Current News Part 6 (Oct 2006-May 2007)

Welcome to the 6th thread for Queen Beatrix of Netherlands' current events

The previous thread can be found
here

Please post current news and pictures of Queen Beatrix in this thread.
While doing so, please remember to follow the TRF posting guidelines and the copyright rules
TRF Posting Rules & Guidelines :
  • The current events' thread is only for current news & events
  • Do not forget to provide sources for all photos & articles
  • Please do not linked the photos directly. Hotlinking is strongly prohibited.
  • Pictures from previous events may be posted in the picture thread via imagehost.
  • Please be respectful to others' opinions even if you're disagree, and always be courteous to your follow members.
  • Lastly, have fun and enjoy!