Queen Beatrix, Current Events 3 (June 2006 - May 2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexandria said:
The Queen has been non-stop lately!

Two new granddaughters, a trip to Belgium and endless visits within Netherlands and consultations with politicians at home.

How amazing she is that she's doing so much, more than individuals in their thirties or forties do in a week!
Yes, she seems to be everywhere atthe moment! Her sense of duty really is something else! This is a woman who, even on her vacations, is up and out at dawn--at least, that's what her sons once said about her in a tv interview a decade or so back!
They also in that interview said that she's been suffering heavy duty migraines for ever, but you would never know it--she's never canceled <anything> because of it! Pretty tough act to follow, isn't she!

Last edited:
Marengo said:
She is simply amazing. Between the consultations with advisors, the prime minister etc she even has time to visit cows! I wonder what sshe enjoys more :).

Let's hope HM will be on time for the picnic, Lucien. Or is there a tiara event in the evening? I hope that she will be there then, hiding a tiara somewhere...

And HM had even more to do today, this was posted by JH on the Benelux Royals MB:

HM today received HE Mr.D.B.Payton,ambassador of New Zealand for a farewell lunch at Huis ten Bosch Palace.

Yesterday HM received HE Mr.E.Ugalde Alvarez,ambassador of Costa Rica,for a farewell audience. On june 23rd HM received HE Mr.M.B.Pensa,ambassador of Italy for a farewell audience at Huis ten Bosch Palace.
Not to mention calling on her old friend, ex prime minister Ruud Lubbers, to come help form a cabinet! Beatrix and Lubbers go way way back--both were new at their rarified roles back in the early eighties--he as new young prime minister at the time and she as new queen. Both are roughly the same age too. The fact that he has been asked in this intermediary role is directly, it seems to me, due to her influence.

HM will leave on holidays tomorrow (thursday). She will be staying at her medieval farm/estate in Tavernelle, Italy. She will keep in tough with the 'informateur' (Ruud Lubbers) by telephone and will fly back to The Netherlands if the political situation requires that.

HM will receive informaeur Ruud Lubbers this morning at 9.00 at Palace Huis ten Bosch.

HM the Queen will be abck tomorrow (friday), from Tavernelle, to install the new cabinet. After that she will fly back to her holiday retreat.

These politicians keep the Queen busy. I hope she'll get to relax after the whole deal is closed, she really deserved it, imo! :)

Maxie said:
These politicians keep the Queen busy. I hope she'll get to relax after the whole deal is closed, she really deserved it, imo! :)
She certainly does, in fact it seems to me that Beatrix, probably together with her equally hard-working, never-relenting colleague Elizabeth of the UK, should be up for the "hardest working royal in Europe of the year award", if it existed! Both these queens pull more hours than the crop of current crown princes together (bit of an unfair comparison perhaps as the role of heir is all but defined)

Queen Beatrix attended a concert last night, performed by the European Union Youth Orchestra

Koningin Beatrix is zondag aanwezig bij het concert van de European Union Youth Orchestra. Het orkest staat onder leiding van dirigent Vladimir Ashkenazy en speelt werken van Dmitri Sjostakovitsj. ANP

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/

She never misses this event :) Good to see that she is back working...

Two lovely close-ups of Queen Beatrix:

Beatrix16.jpg

Beatrix18.jpg

(Credit: Bruno Press)

soCal girl said:

These definitely are lovely, soCal girl! Thanks for sharing them. Am I the only one who thinks that the Queen looks very radiant, lately? Being a grandmother of 7 must be really great for her! :)

Maxie said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the Queen looks very radiant, lately? ! :)

Only lately? I think she's always looked radiant!

soCal girl said:
(Credit: Bruno Press)
Thanks for sharing! Beatrix looks great! :flowers:
I think her hair looks a bit more blonde then usual (but maybe it's just because her her holiday-darker skin. ;)

princess olga said:
Agree she really is a 'unifying' force in that sense. This is exactly the kind of thing she is so great at, being her iconic self while drawing attention to a cause, rather than herself. I love how she treats everyone she meets with the utmost respect. This is a prime example of what a monarch is supposed to do, supposed to be. I hope she has a long life ahead of her & stays on as a queen for at least another decade!

How old were Beatrix' sons when she took over from Queen Juliana? Somehow I don't think the abdication plans in the Netherlands rely on the age of the queen or her heir but on the question whether the children have reached a certain age so their parents can move on. If it is so, then we will see Beatrix as queen for some more years, I guess. :)

Jo of Palatine said:
How old were Beatrix' sons when she took over from Queen Juliana? Somehow I don't think the abdication plans in the Netherlands rely on the age of the queen or her heir but on the question whether the children have reached a certain age so their parents can move on. If it is so, then we will see Beatrix as queen for some more years, I guess. :)
Since Juliana abdicted in 1980, Beatrix sons were 13 (WA), 12 (Friso) and 11 (Constantijn). :flowers:

the queen has the most lovely, open face. i just love her.

It's nice to see HM out and about again. And even nicer to see her hair. It always amazes me in it's defiance of the laws of gravity.

It (her hair) does seem to stand the test of time. We joke about it but at this point, I couldn't see her with another style.

In regards to abdication, I don't see her HM abdicating for at least ten years. Maybe if her husband was alive but not now.

Zonk1189 said:
In regards to abdication, I don't see her HM abdicating for at least ten years. Maybe if her husband was alive but not now.

It is also possible that the Queen wants to fight the 'trend' that she should abdicate.
However, there IS a trend of abdicating in the Houses of Orange and Nassau.

Willem I of Orange-Nassau, King of the Netherlands, Grand Duke of Luxembourg
Abdicated: 1840
Reign: 27 years
Age of abdication: 68 years

Marie-Adelaide of Nassau, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
Abdicated: 1919
Reign: 7 years
Age of abdication: 25 (she abdicated and became a Carmelite nun)

Wilhelmina of Orange-Nassau, Queen of the Netherlands
Abdicated: 1948
Reign: 58 years

Charlotte of Nassau, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
Abdicated: 1964
Reign: 45 years

Juliana of Orange-Nassau, Queen of the Netherlands
Abdicated: 1980
Reign: 32 years
Age of Abdication: 71 years

Jean of Nassau, Grand Duke of Luxembourg
Abdicated: 2000
Reign: 36 years
Age of abdication: 79 years

Beatrix of Orange-Nassau, Queen of the Netherlands
Abdicated: -
Reign: 26 years (so far)
Age of abdication: - (she is 68 now)

Henri of Nassau, Grand Duke of Luxembourg
Abdicated: -
Reign: 6 years (so far)
Age of abdicaton: - (he is 51 now)

Henri M. said:
It is also possible that the Queen wants to fight the 'trend' that she should abdicate.
Henri M, I hope you are right, for one I think she is doing a stellar job. And two, I just can't see her sitting in her castle (Drakensteijn) doing nothing (I know she is a talented woman with plenty of hobbies, but I can't see her dedicated to these hobbies and nothing else all day): she seems too young for that.

And last, I really also think that she is more and more seen by her Dutch constituents as the unifying force she really is. That country is in so many ways at a cross roads, I think for the forseeable future, they really need her more than she needs them.

but...quick question, and this may be conjecturing so not sure our Mods would approve of my asking, but what about the rumors in the Netherlands that she will abdicate probably in four years? What with the Paleis op de Dam being renovated, and finished slated for 2008?

Iain said:
Only lately? I think she's always looked radiant!
hear hear! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Naturalization Day 2006

Today The Queen attended one of the ceremonies held today in the framework of Naturalization Day (a day to welcome immigrants who have obtained the Netherlands citizenship).

On TV it was touching to see with how much reverence The Queen was met by her newest subjects.

bea1.jpg

bea2.jpg

bea3.jpg

bea4.jpg

Source pictures: ANP. Bucketed via my webspace.

Queen Beatrix with Japanese guests?

In the evening Her Majesty attended an opera in the city of Utrecht.
A most special opera: L'Ipermestra (written 1658) by Francesco Cavalli (1602-1676).

Since the first performance in 1658 it has never been perfomerd again in the whole world. Today was the new premier of this old opera and Queen Beatrix, her radiant self as always, did attend.

I'm not sure, but I had the idea the Honourable Justice and mrs Hishashi Owada were in the Queen's presence. On the picture you see a Japanese lady, I think it is a lady-in-waiting from the Imperial Court. I have no idea of the Crown Prince and -Princess of Japan were there as well. We need to await more pics.

bea5.jpg

Thanks Henri. It was touching indeed, they were all so pride that the Queen talked to them and I saw a gentleman kissing Her Majesty´s hand :)

I wonder if the pearl necklace is new, I can not recall the small diamond lock it has in the front.

--

Good to see that the RF is spending some time with their Japanese guests (didn´t the two crownprincely families visit Apenheul together today?) :)

princess olga said:
but...quick question, and this may be conjecturing so not sure our Mods would approve of my asking, but what about the rumors in the Netherlands that she will abdicate probably in four years? What with the Paleis op de Dam being renovated, and finished slated for 2008?

I think the renovation of the Royal Palace Amsterdam must only be seen as a necessary modernization. It mainly is renewal of technical installations, the addition of a fifth service-elevator, the modernization of suites for guests, the modernization of kitchens, etc. And they are seeing if they can clean the exterior of the grey, sombre palace so that it is back in its original yellow Bentheimer stone.

I don't think it is done with a certain purpose, like an abdication of the Queen and the investiture of the new King. After all: Prince Willem-Alexander suddenly can become King tomorrow.

bea6.jpg

Pic: part of the Royal Palace Amsterdam with a pergola leading to the New Church. The same venues of an Investiture ceremony for the new King.
You see lighter and darker parts of the old walls. The Bentheimer stone uses to be dark-yellow of colour. Experts are looking for the best way to regain the original colour without using damaging or un-repairable techniques.

Pic: ANP / bucketed via my own webspace

Last edited:
Marengo? Henri? Can you fill us in on the Naruhito/Masako thread if there was a visit to Apenheul?

A couple of questions: is the Queen a big fan of Opera? It seems she is of stringed instruments because she seems to attend alot of concerts -- but what about Opera? Second, have you heard anything about her resisting the abdication idea? She is such a fantastic queen I hope we continue to see her in action for a long time. Finally, does anyone have photos of the ?names escape me -- Van Loon and another woman -- named as hostesses for the Queen? I'd love to see what these two women look like.

A dutch journalist said on the Benelux Royals MB that the two couples visited ´Apenheul´ in Apeldoorn today. It is a parc with lots and lots of monkeys and many dutch families go there (I went there myself when I was smaller). Some are even out of there cages so you can take them on your shoulder.
Anyway, the couples were there but due to the Dutch media-code no pictures will be printed in Dutch magazines or newspapers (not sure about the foreign press though).

I am not sure if HM is a big fan of opera but definately of classical music. In this she was supported by her husband who had a special fondness for this music and IMHO an excellent taste. But I recall their taste was a bit more ´heavy´then Puccini for example: Bach, Mahler etc. But of course an opera at times can be rather entertaining to.

About any abdication plans: they will bound to hang around untill she will publicely announce her succession (or when her son will succeed hger in another way). For now the main reason for speculation is her age and tradition (Wilhelmina and Juliana). The restaurations of the Castle and Palace were both needed, though for those who want to see it as a signal that her abdication is coming closer it is.
What is against a quick abdication is that the Queen seems to be very energetic still and the crownprince still has a young (and maybe uncomplete?) family. HM stated several times that she wanted her son to have a relatively quiet familylife when his children were still young, like she had herself.
It is purely speculation, but seeing how this Queen is pragmatic and sees her task almost as a job I would say she will abdicate albeit not very quickly. So in 5-10 years. But again: just speculating.

I can not provide a picture of M. van Loon-Labouchere but I am sure somebody else (Henri?) can. I have been in the van Loon house in AMsterdam btw, not ebven in the museum but in the basement which they rented to a student (who happened to be a friend of mine). Even the basement was impressive...

Thanks, Marengo. I appreciate the information, especially since we are huge fans of classical music ourselves. After my last post, while waiting for your wonderful answer, I took time to re-read two recent threads on QB. Having done that, here is my ponderous (!) question: did she lighten her hair while on vacation?

Well, I am afraid the court does not issue information on HM hair, so all of us can only look at the pictures and guess.
It seems to become a shade lighter each year for several years IMO. She probably doesn´t want the ERII thing to happen to her (turning grey from black in one day).

De Grootmeesteres van het Huis van Hare Majesteit de Koningin

The Dutch equivalent of the British Mistress of the Robes is the Grandmastress of the House of Her Majesty The Queen, in short: The Grandmastress.

Earlier in this thread a poster asked for a pic: this picture was made yesterday and shows Martine van Loon - Labouchere standing next to Her Majesty.

She is a scion from an old Amsterdam banking family (Labouchere) who married an immensely rich Amsterdam shipowner (Delprat), became widowed and married the Amsterdam nobleman Jonkheer Maurits Nanning van Loon, who owns a dazzling house alongside the Keizersgracht (Emperor's Canal) in Amsterdam. You can visit it. The Van Loons themselves live in the (also grand) house next to it.

The Grandmastress receives high guests in her house. It is part of her job 'to entertain' ambassadors and authorities in name of the Queen.
I saw this on the weblog of the Queen's Commissioner in Noord-Holland:

Thursday 16 March 2006.

The Grandmastress of Her Majesty The Queen, mrs. Van Loon - Labouchere and her spouse Jonkheer Van Loon give a diner for ambassadors and other distinghuised guests.

Petra and I go there. The diner is held at Museum Van Loon alongside the Keizersgracht in Amsterdam.
Nice, that you can dine in your own family-museum!

The dessert is accompanied with living music. The female singer sings 'Je't aime' by Jacques Brel. Frans Weisglas, the Chairman of the Chamber, who sits behind me and I turn ourselves around to listen to the singer. Frans says: "Only older gentlemen like this music."

Let he speak for himself!

Last edited:
E.M.J. Baroness van Wassenaer - Mersmans, Hofdame

Henri M. said:
In the evening Her Majesty attended an opera in the city of Utrecht. The opera: L'Ipermestra (written 1658) by Francesco Cavalli (1602-1676).

On another board I learned that the Japanese-looking lady accompanying Her Majesty was no member of the Japanese Imperial Court.

It was E.M.J. baroness Van Wassenaer - Mersmans, one of the Queen's Hofdames. The Van Wassenaers owned Duivenvoorde. Like so many Dutch aristocratic families have done, also the Van Wassenaer family placed the estate in a Foundation to preserve it for future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom