Princesses Catharina-Amalia, Alexia and Ariane, News 1 (September 2005 - June 2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden

wapen_kinderen2.jpg

Welcome to Part 2 of the threads dedicated
to the daughters of Prince Willem-Alexander & Princess Máxima:
Princess Catharina-Amalia, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question :)

If in the future , Princess Alexia will mary for example with Prince Gabriel or Prince Emmanuel of Belgium , will she become a princess of Belgium , are will the boys become Prince of Orange ?

Emilia said:

If in the future , Princess Alexia will mary for example with Prince Gabriel or Prince Emmanuel of Belgium , will she become a princess of Belgium , are will the boys become Prince of Orange ?
That's a very good hypothetical question Emilia.

I don't know the right answer to this, but I would guess that she would take the style of her husband, but maybe also keep her original one.

The title as Prince/ss of Orange is one that the Government wishes to keep only for the heir to the throne, so that title is not even in question concerning this issue.

Emilia said:

I believe her kids will become Prince/Princess of Belgium because titles are usually inherited from the male line. E.g. Peter and Zara Phillips were not given the titel of prince/princess of the united kingdom when they were born.

But is it also possible that if Alexia and for example Emmanuel will marry , they both can keep their own titles , and that they will belong to both royal houses ( Belgium and Netherlands ) ?

And if Gabriel will marry with Amalia , will he lose his title of Prince of Belgium ?

Emilia said:
But is it also possible that if Alexia and for example Emmanuel will marry , they both can keep their own titles , and that they will belong to both royal houses ( Belgium and Netherlands ) ?

And if Gabriel will marry with Amalia , will he lose his title of Prince of Belgium ?

I don't think he'd lose his title if he married, let's say Amalia. He'd be known as Prince of the Netherlands, and Prince of Belgium. If you're born royal, it's harder for you to lose your title, especially if you married nobility or fellow royalty.

I think it all depends on which country s/he and her/his spouse resides in. In the example above, if Gabriel married Amalia and since Amalia will be Queen of the Netherlands, he'd be known as Prince of the Netherlands, secondly as Prince of Belgium. If I'm wrong, someone correct me! :D

I may be wrong, but I believe it was Princess Anne's choice not to give Peter and Zara a title, just like Edward and Sophie decided not to give Louise one. I don't think in the British monarchy that it is only children of male princes who can inherit a title.

I think that we can use some of the older generations as an example of this
for Queen Elizabeth & prince Philip, Prince philip had to give up his royal status as a prince of Greece in order to marry Elizabeth yet when Queen Ann Marie married Constantine she remained princess of Denmark still.

I think if you marry a soverign you would have to renounce your previous royal status (EX. P Gabriel would become just prince of Netherlands or prince consort and have to drop the prince of Belgium if he married P Amalia yet if princess Alexia married the new unamed prince of Denmark she would remain a princess of Holland and also become CP of Denmark) The princess usually takes the title and style of the prince unless she is higher in presedence. This all begins to become very confusing.

I do not think there is an arragement for this, but in the past the following happened:

Queen Wilhelina married Duke Hendrik of Mecklenburg Schwerin and could add Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin to her titles, as did her daughter. The Duke became Prince Hendrik of The Netherlands, Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin

When Prince Bernhard married Juliana he could keep his title Prince of Lippe Biesterfield, but his senior title was Prince of The Netherlands. His wife thus was Queen Juliana of The Netherlands, Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfield (& her other 45 titles, among then Duchess of Limburg)
Their children became princesses of The Netherlands and Lippe-Biesterfield (Princess Irene presently wants to be called Irene van Lippe-Biesterfeld.

Claus also passed his title, jonkheer (squire/sir) van Amstberg to his sons and grandchildren. It will be interesting to see if Amalia can pass this title or if only Claus-Casimir will be able to (as the only male grandchild) The titles of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Lippe-Biesterfeld can only be passed in the male line.

--

In case of Gabriel and Amalia marrying, according to the old tradition it would be Queen Catharina(-Amalia) I of The Netherlands, Princess of Belgium etc etc, and Prince Gabriel of The Netherlands, Prince of Belgium. Their children would, according to the old system, be entitled to the title Prince of Belgium, but as it could create problems in the future I think that there will be a change in tradition, and they will add a junior title of the belgian RF to their list (maybe Duke of Saxe-Coburg), or none at all.

If Gabriel and Alexia will marry there will be a clash of traditions: 1) the grandchildren of the Belgian kings are still princes while Beatrix styled her grandchildren as counts 2) what about inheriting through the female line? Margriet could pass a title but can Alexia? Honouring those traditions I would assume that the children are Princes of Belgium & Counts of Orange-Nassau.
As both countries have a strong emancipated women I think it could cause a problem if Alexia would become Princess of Belgium and losing her dutch titles (as was customary), so I can imagine that both spouses would keep their own titles, and add the title of the spouse.

But the dutch title-system is such a mess that they can change it completely in the next generation again (just look at the mess there is now, 1 RF and 6 different way of naming them). These things will only be decided upon when such a thing would actually happen, which is not likely (helas).

Have the names of Alexia's god parents been released yet?

no, they haven't

Marengo said:
no, they haven't

how much time did they take to reveal the godparents of catharina amalia? i really can't wait to know who will be... :)

I cant remember exactly but it also ook some months, just a few weeks before the baptism. As Alexia will be baptised on 19 Nov. we do not have to wait that much longer :)

that's great news princess robijn! where did you take that information from?

at the Catherina-Amalia thread I mensioned 'Blauw Bloed' before.. they announced yesterday that next week (it's a program wich airs only one time a week) they will have pictures of the Prince of Orange and his family in Lech, because today (they said tomorrow) there will be a photo shoot...

Marengo said:
I do not think there is an arragement for this, but in the past the following happened...
But first of all , the law has to be changed , because now , a member of the Royal Belgium family can't marry a member a the Dutch Royal family .
But I think , if one day , for example Alexia wants to marry Gabriel, it will all be changed , because that law is very old ( 1830 ) , and it's even a little bit silly I think :) ( wouldn't be cute if these two adorbale children would marry some day ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the belgian senate changed that law after Catharina-Amalia (or Gabriel) was born. But sadly they did not :( I agree, IF something like this will happen they will change it quickly enough.

Well , when Amalia was born , this issue came up , but I think they didn't changed it. They only change the constitution when it's REALY necessary, you know...;)

Last edited:
We don't see princess Alexia not often ,like her big sister don't we ? it's a pity because Alexia is so adorable.

I think we have seen her as much as Amalia recently: photoshoot in wassenaar, summer 2005, baptism in november, olympics in january, winter holidays in february, the run in wassenaar in april and the boattrip in may.

I agree...whenever we have seen Amalia, Alexia has always been there. I think they're both sweet girls!

Marengo said:
I think we have seen her as much as Amalia recently: photoshoot in wassenaar, summer 2005, baptism in november, olympics in january, winter holidays in february, the run in wassenaar in april and the boattrip in may.

We will see both the girls again soon,next month,at Tavernelle,Italy while staying with oma/grandmama for the summer vacation:) .

This little cutie is turning 1 already.. on monday. 26 June
ANP

The big question is whether Alexia will make a surprise announcement, like her big sister did when she turned one.;)

Alisa said:
The big question is whether Alexia will make a surprise announcement, like her big sister did when she turned one.;)

yeah, I agree with you, we wait for another big news in this birthday

There is a new picture of Pss Alexia, Prince Willem-Alexander made it for her first birthday... I'll try to scan it later..

It's in today's BN/De Stem (newspaper) the story with it was that there will be a photoshoot next week in Italy..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom